PDA

View Full Version : Sox buzz words you'd like retired.

chisoxmike
09-24-2007, 09:34 AM
Which of these Sox "buzz words" do you find most annoying and would like Sox management/fans to stop using...

"Low risk/high reward" - Usually refers to a waiver signing or non-roster invite of some hack ballplayer that has gone from team to team not really accomplishing much. The term got huge after the success of Esteban Loaiza in 2003. Term used for such player signings as; David Riske, Mike Myers, Edwardo Perez, Junior Spivey.

"Grinder/Ginders" - Term used for a ballplayer that would "leave it all on the field." Player would "do whatever it takes" to win a ball game. Recent examples; Aaron Rowand, Darin Erstad. Said type of player hasn't been seen on the Sox since 2005.

"Coop will work his magic!" - Said whenever a pitcher that is signed that has shown "promise" in one of his one hundred career games. Sox fans feel that the hand of Don Cooper will be used to turn this pitcher into a future Cy Young because they have "good stuff."

"Smartball/Ozzie Ball/Small ball" - Playing baseball the right way, not relying on home runs to win ball games. Used in 2005, hasn't been played since. Can be used in sentence... "We need to get back to playing small ball."

"Just like in '05!" - Term used whenever the Sox play well. Usually said whenever A.J. Pierzynski hits a walk off home run, or, when a game reminds a fan of a game played in 2005. "Hey, we're 2-0 to start the season!" "Hey man! Just like in '05!"

soxinem1
09-24-2007, 09:43 AM
Most of them can get ****-canned. You cannot expect things to be 'like last year', or make such excuse-ladden expressions as most of these are.

The 2005 team had a lot of intangibles that are not explainable sometimes. A combination of talent, personality, luck, momentum, karma, etc. make a successful season.

I wish I could have voted for all of the above!

Mr.1Dog
09-24-2007, 09:52 AM
"Just like in 05." You can't keep living in the past if you want to succeed in the now and the future.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-24-2007, 10:05 AM
I voted for Grinders, but "Rowand will bring us more pie" was excluded from the vote. I am writing that one in.

jackbrohamer
09-24-2007, 10:13 AM
"Live arm," particularly when used to describe a reliever that the Sox have just acquired.

Lip Man 1
09-24-2007, 11:55 AM
How about "losing"?

Lip

HerzogVon
09-24-2007, 12:06 PM
Other. Specifically, "trust in Kenny" and "Kenny has to make changes." The first change should BE Kenny!

JB98
09-24-2007, 12:08 PM
I'd like to get rid of the "Coop will work his magic" stuff.

Certainly, Don has helped some guys establish themselves as quality major-league pitchers. But he can't be expected to save everybody. That's one of the lessons that should come from 2007. Coop was given too many "project" pitchers, especially in the bullpen.

Steelrod
09-24-2007, 12:16 PM
Stretch!

Chips
09-24-2007, 12:32 PM
i'll go with them all, mike

FedEx227
09-24-2007, 01:03 PM
Not a big fan of any of them. But Grinder is no.1 on my please stop list.

Especially since its a figment of peoples imaginations aka people taking a marketing slogan too far and thinking winning baseball is because of grinders.

Frater Perdurabo
09-24-2007, 01:08 PM
All of the above.

UserNameBlank
09-24-2007, 01:29 PM
Which of these Sox "buzz words" do you find most annoying and would like Sox management/fans to stop using...

"Low risk/high reward" - Usually refers to a waiver signing or non-roster invite of some hack ballplayer that has gone from team to team not really accomplishing much. The term got huge after the success of Esteban Loaiza in 2003. Term used for such player signings as; David Riske, Mike Myers, Edwardo Perez, Junior Spivey.

"Grinder/Ginders" - Term used for a ballplayer that would "leave it all on the field." Player would "do whatever it takes" to win a ball game. Recent examples; Aaron Rowand, Darin Erstad. Said type of player hasn't been seen on the Sox since 2005.

"Coop will work his magic!" - Said whenever a pitcher that is signed that has shown "promise" in one of his one hundred career games. Sox fans feel that the hand of Don Cooper will be used to turn this pitcher into a future Cy Young because they have "good stuff."

"Smartball/Ozzie Ball/Small ball" - Playing baseball the right way, not relying on home runs to win ball games. Used in 2005, hasn't been played since. Can be used in sentence... "We need to get back to playing small ball."

"Just like in '05!" - Term used whenever the Sox play well. Usually said whenever A.J. Pierzynski hits a walk off home run, or, when a game reminds a fan of a game played in 2005. "Hey, we're 2-0 to start the season!" "Hey man! Just like in '05!"

Ban the grinders! We don't need grinders; we need good baseball players.

Low risk/high reward moves are important to the success of a franchise. You can not get by these days without them.

Coop is, at least to a certain degree, magical.

Smartball, Ozzieball, and smallball are three different things. Smallball is what you play when you don't have an offense. Ozzieball is a schizophrenic baseball philosophy that varies wildly year to year. Smartball is having an offense, knowing when to play smallball, and having a consistent manager who makes good decisions and maintains control of his team. We need more smartball, but we can't do it until we get a team worth watching.

Just like '05! is what we should be aiming for each year. Not that we need the same roster or the same makeup, but we need a successful team that is capable of winning close games and is able to manufacture runs when we run to such future HOF pitchers as Chad Durbin, Chad Gaudin, Runelvys Hernandez, Kevin Slowey, etc.

Vestigio
09-24-2007, 01:43 PM
Smartball/Ozzieball/Smallball. I hated it in '05, I still hate it now

Foulke You
09-24-2007, 01:57 PM
My vote is for use of the "PECOTA" stat. I still say it sounds more like a fine Mexican restaurant than a stat for baseball.:tongue:

russ99
09-24-2007, 03:21 PM
My vote is for use of the "PECOTA" stat. I still say it sounds more like a fine Mexican restaurant than a stat for baseball.:tongue:

Why not get rid of BP and all that pencilneck garbage as well.

My vote is for Grinder... unless we're talking about a sandwich.

As for 'Rowand will bring us more pie', what happens then if Rowand brings us more pie?? :D: I hope Carl does a strip next year, even though this year's must have been hard to do.

Hendu
09-24-2007, 03:28 PM
I'll go with all of the above, plus any Kenny Williams / Chuck Norris comparisons. Remember those?

Railsplitter
09-24-2007, 08:27 PM
How about all of them?

Daver
09-24-2007, 08:27 PM
Anything ever uttered by Ken Harrellson.

chisoxmike
09-24-2007, 08:32 PM

:hawk
"They just haven't hit their stride yet D.J."

billcissell
09-25-2007, 11:36 AM
The term "under the bus" as when our manager refuses to name names when things go wrong or decides to not lay blame when someone screws up on the field.

"Put it all on me" as when our manager acts the role of a martyr and tells all who criticize or condemn to focus their anger and frustration on him alone.

lostfan
09-25-2007, 06:55 PM
I'd like to get rid of the "Coop will work his magic" stuff.

Certainly, Don has helped some guys establish themselves as quality major-league pitchers. But he can't be expected to save everybody. That's one of the lessons that should come from 2007. Coop was given too many "project" pitchers, especially in the bullpen.
Yes, that's what I was thinking... that kind of thinking is what got us the unmitigated disasters better known as Aardsma and Sisco. You'll never go anywhere if your bullpen gives up 6-8 runs between the 6th and the 8th.

Frontman
09-25-2007, 07:14 PM
Since we're talking phrases that get uttered in broadcasts, I humbly nominate "Nintendo Stuff."

Harrelson can't even explain what it means.

Horrid.

lostfan
09-25-2007, 08:05 PM
Since we're talking phrases that get uttered in broadcasts, I humbly nominate "Nintendo Stuff."

Harrelson can't even explain what it means.

Horrid.
What's funny about that is these days, a pitcher in a video game's stuff, or "Nintendo stuff" if you will, is going to resemble the pitcher's real life stuff almost exactly, down to the smallest detail they can think to replicate. So the expression really doesn't mean anything.

kevin57
09-25-2007, 09:23 PM
Grinder.

I don't mind the word and love the concept. It just doesn't exist on this team.

fusillirob1983
09-25-2007, 09:56 PM
Under the radar

Frontman
09-25-2007, 11:41 PM
What's funny about that is these days, a pitcher in a video game's stuff, or "Nintendo stuff" if you will, is going to resemble the pitcher's real life stuff almost exactly, down to the smallest detail they can think to replicate. So the expression really doesn't mean anything.

Especially Buehrle on MLB the Show. I can pitch a full game in about 15 minutes. :wink:

soxinem1
09-26-2007, 10:48 AM
"They just haven't hit their stride yet D.J."

'He sure is fun to watch'

Foulke You
09-26-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm a fan of the Hawk but there is one phrase this year he really needs to retire and that is "Nintendo Stuff". I'm so sick of that one.

thomas35forever
09-26-2007, 06:38 PM
No one on a fourth-place team deserves to be called a grinder, even the speedsters.