PDA

View Full Version : Even The Simpsons hates us

pierzynski07
09-24-2007, 10:31 AM
Last night, Mr. Burns and Homer visit Chicago, including several landmarks.

Ditka's
Wrigley Field (The 1908 World Champions)
"Wherever the White Sox Play"
First Bank of OprahWell, at least we aren't the Devil Rays. (For years, Astrology was the Tampa Bay Devil Rays of Sciences. Not so good. -Fink).

Mickster
09-24-2007, 10:34 AM
I believe the reason for the "Wherever the White Sox Play" reference is:

1. to be funny
2. not able to use "U.S. Cellular" without written permission.

Luke
09-24-2007, 10:40 AM
I really took it as making fun of the fact that we're so ignored. I wasn't offended at all. I thought the Chicago part of the episode was really funny.

pierzynski07
09-24-2007, 10:42 AM
I believe the reason for the "Wherever the White Sox Play" reference is:

1. to be funny
2. not able to use "U.S. Cellular" without written permission.

Wrigley is a brand name.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-24-2007, 10:58 AM
Wrigley is a brand name.

Yes but Wrigley does not sponsor the name of the stadium through current revenue means. Wrigley Field is the name of the stadium because it was owned by the Wrigley family. It just so happens that Wrigley also is the name of a gum/candy. The two are not entertwined today via marketing or financial support.

pierzynski07
09-24-2007, 11:02 AM
Point taken, but I don't see it as an issue. Simply saying a brand name doesn't mean you have to pay royalities, right? Although it would be funny if they had to pay up every time the episode with "Mountain Due or Crab Juice?" airs.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-24-2007, 11:04 AM
Point taken, but I don't see it as an issue. Simply saying a brand name doesn't mean you have to pay royalities, right? Although it would be funny if they had to pay up every time the episode with "Mountain Due or Crab Juice?" airs.

I think they went the "second team" mentality when they listed the Sox - based on the fact that we tore down our old stadium, built a new one, renamed it and renovated it.

Wrigley's charm is timeless, after all.

Nellie_Fox
09-24-2007, 11:44 AM
They don't have to have permission to use a trademarked name. Do you think they had permission for the sign that said "Springfield Town Dump (not a Marriott affiliate)"? Satire is heavily protected speech.

PatK
09-24-2007, 11:44 AM
When Homer and Mr Burns were at the comedy improv show, the MC was wearing a Cubs hat.

The act was totally lame, and everyone in the audience laughed at it.

I took it as a rip on the "Cubs are so awesome" and sheep-like mentality of the fans for applauding something so lame and mediocre.

I also liked how the Chicago people thanked Homer and Mr Burns for making Chicago feel as important as New York for a couple of minutes.

If anything, it was more of a dis to the people of Chicago. People here obviously have a huge chip on our shoulders for being "Second City". And our love for all things Chicago and refusal to accept things non-native is downright embarrassing at times.

Luke
09-24-2007, 12:08 PM
If anything, it was more of a dis to the people of Chicago. People here obviously have a huge chip on our shoulders for being "Second City". And our love for all things Chicago and refusal to accept things non-native is downright embarrassing at times.

Good point.

I took it as a chance to laugh at myself, since I feel that way on occasion. Some of their writers must be Chicagoans, I know Castellaneta is from Oak Park originally.

Procol Harum
09-24-2007, 12:29 PM
Last night in the premier of "The Simpsons" Homer joins Burns for some private jetting around and they end up going to the "Las Vegas of Canada"--Chicago. Well, they show them walking 'round about the city w/ various icons of the city including Ditka's, etc. Then they showed Wrigley with the famous red sign than popped up The Cell emblazoned with "Wherever the White Sox Play."

Sad thing is--for most of the U.S. that's the way it's perceived.... :(:

Vestigio
09-24-2007, 12:48 PM
I didnt take offense to it since the ballpark changed its name 4 years ago, and its not really a recognizable name. Now if the stadium was still called Comiskey, and they did that joke, then I would take some offense to it.

HerzogVon
09-24-2007, 12:54 PM
Yup, and I doubt it will ever change. ( Of course, if Kenny hadn't wrecked the team with bone-headed moves after 2005...who knows? Repeated success can do a lot to change perceptions. One year simply won't do it. )

Now, though it may seem a leap of logic - ( So, what else is new? ) - this is why it's so important to stop taking this Cubs thing lightly, and gear up for the ordeal that's sure to come. Do NOT dismiss them! Rather, gear up and prepare to fight this thing through.

It's my theory that the Gods of Baseball - and they do exist - had things all lined up for a procession of WS wins by the all the teams that have been bypassed thus far. It was to begin in 2003 with the Cubs, then the Red Sox and, finally, us. Only, the Cubbies fell out of line. ( Hee, hee! ) This was in part due to extraordinary efforts by some White Sox fans NOT TO LET IT HAPPEN!! ( What, you think Bartman came out of the ether?? We WILLED him! ) So, the Cubs were forced to go to the end of the line, so to speak.

Now, it's three years later, and here they are again. They WILL win this time, unless we prepare, mobilize and do everything in our power to stop it, AS WE MUST!!! Otherwise, be prepared for an experience more insufferable than "Da Bears" of 1985.

Lip Man 1
09-24-2007, 01:12 PM
The show has ripped the Cubs apart on at least two occasions.

1. The Ron Santo biography library remark that pissed off Cub fan so badly.

and

2. The Treehouse of Horror episode from November 2005 where Kang and Kodos were debating whether to use an 'accelerator ray' on the World Series game. The point was to speed it up so the Simpsons show could start. The risk was that it could destroy the space time fabric of the universe to which the reply states, 'that's the only way the Cubs could ever win.'

Lip

Luke
09-24-2007, 02:15 PM
It's my theory that the Gods of Baseball - and they do exist - had things all lined up for a procession of WS wins by the all the teams that have been bypassed thus far. It was to begin in 2003 with the Cubs, then the Red Sox and, finally, us. Only, the Cubbies fell out of line. ( Hee, hee! ) This was in part due to extraordinary efforts by some White Sox fans NOT TO LET IT HAPPEN!! ( What, you think Bartman came out of the ether?? We WILLED him! ) So, the Cubs were forced to go to the end of the line, so to speak.

With all due respect, no, they don't. There are good players, and good organizations. Things happen because good organizations develop and put good players on the field.

The Red Sox and White Sox won in 2004/2005 because they were the best team that year. The Cubs lost in 2003 because they were mental midgets that were poorly managed. There were no baseball gods at work.

TDog
09-24-2007, 02:45 PM
Nellie is certainly right about satire being protected speech. But most posters seem to be missing the point.

I read this joke as a comment on stadia that sell their name to corporate sponsors. Comiskey Park changed its name. I drove past Candlestick Park a couple of months ago, but it's not called Candlestick anymore. It's Monster Park. Lousy name for a stadium, but I hear San Francisco's football team is leaving The City, so the point will soon be moot. I saw my first Giants game Sunday. They don't call it Pac Bell anymore. It's the new AT&T. I've been to Bank One Ballpark, but the BOB is now Chase something. The A's and Raiders play at McAfee, but the BART stop in front of the stadium is still called "Coliseum." The Tribune Company would have been ridiculed if it slapped its name on Wrigley Field a quarter century ago because of the history. Frankly, I'm surprise there wasn't uproar over the Monster Park thing.

If the White Sox were dissed, it was management that was dissed for changing the name of the park. It isn't like the name change didn't upset White Sox fans. I was at an event a few years ago where a White Sox fan friend of mine referred to the park as "Sell Your Soul Field, or whatever they're calling it now.

Jokes become so funny when you explain all the spontaneity out of them.

Fenway
09-24-2007, 02:51 PM
Remember US Cellular is not a national brand. They only cover 26 states
The NFT 2008 guidebook for Chicago calls the park "The Joan"

skobabe8
09-24-2007, 02:55 PM
Remember US Cellular is not a national brand. They only cover 26 states
The NFT 2008 guidebook for Chicago calls the park "The Joan"

I remember when there was talk of what the nickname should be and "The Joan" was mentioned. It failed miserably.

balke
09-24-2007, 03:20 PM
I thought it was hilarious. Everyone knows the Sox live in the shadow nowadays. The jab could've been a lot worse. I hate the stadium name anyway, so I'm glad anytime someone makes a remark about it. I would love for someone to buy the team and make it Comiskey again.

Fenway
09-24-2007, 03:51 PM
I thought it was hilarious. Everyone knows the Sox live in the shadow nowadays. The jab could've been a lot worse. I hate the stadium name anyways, so I'm glad anytime someone makes a remark about it. I would love for someone to buy the team and make it Comiskey again.

Red Sox fans in Maine hate Joan with a passion as NESN feeds US Cell commercials there

PatK
09-24-2007, 04:07 PM
Red Sox fans in Maine hate Joan with a passion as NESN feeds US Cell commercials there

I don't know too many people that like her here in Chicago for any reason other than her being from Chicago.

And as far as using the Sox to make fun of corporate naming rights, aren't the Bears these days called "Bank One presents the Chicago Bears"?

IlliniSox4Life
09-24-2007, 04:25 PM
I thought it was pretty funny. At least they mentioned the fact that the team exists. Too often you will find a montage where they make mention of the Cubs and disregard the Sox completely.

Also, I don't know for sure, but historically the Cubs have had a lot of writers who have lived in Chicago and are part of the comic scene that they were mocking. If anything, I saw this as the Simpsons writers mocking themselves (or at the least, their peers). Most of the stuff they said about Chicago I found to be the funniest part of the show. The rest didn't do a whole lot for me.

Fenway
09-24-2007, 04:30 PM
I missed it last night and forgot to Tivo it. Was the pig from the movie back as promised?

PatK
09-24-2007, 04:35 PM
I missed it last night and forgot to Tivo it. Was the pig from the movie back as promised?

At the beginning when they sit on the couch.

tick53
09-24-2007, 06:36 PM
If you think it's bad now then pray that the Cubs don't win this or any other WS. Most people wont even remember that Chicago even has two teams. I want to take this moment to congratulate The Chairman for the Cubs world-wide popularity. When he ran Harry Caray out of of camp and Harry went to the other team, he created a new fan base with "Take me out to the ballgame" which is still used by every celeb that belts it out at the 7th inning stretch. Most people think that it originated at Wrigley. And don't forget, "I'm a Bud Man and A Cub Fan". :angry: . Thanks Jer!

tick(ed)

russ99
09-25-2007, 03:04 PM
At the beginning when they sit on the couch.

Homer:"My Summer Love..." :D:

The entire intro was lifted from various scenes and situations from the movie.

I thought the "Wherever the White Sox Play" was pretty funny. Heck, at least we got a mention.

Still, the Simpsons had nothing on Sunday's epic Family Guy Star Wars spoof! :D:

asindc
09-25-2007, 04:45 PM
I agree with previous posters who noted that, if anything, we should be upset with ownership for agreeing to adopt such a soulless name. OTOH, the increased revenues did allow for a ballpark upgrade, so it hasn't been all bad.

Nothing worth getting our noses out of joint about, IMO.

kittle42
09-26-2007, 07:47 AM
With all due respect, no, they don't....There were no baseball gods at work.

Then who is Carols Zambrano always pointing at? :cool:

Frontman
09-26-2007, 07:56 AM
I hate to say it, but who cares that the Simpsons even mentioned the Sox ballpark?

Its funny that they poppped the "wherever the Sox play" as even the Sox fanbase call it Sox Park, Comiskey Park, New Comiskey Park, US Cellular Field, or the Cell. We can't even agree on what its called.

skottyj242
09-26-2007, 10:27 AM
I watched it last night and thought it was pretty funny. Is Comiskey a "must see" tourist attraction when visiting the city of Chicago? What percentage of Americans if you asked them on the street would know the Sox play at Comiskey Park? I'm guessing it would be less than ten.

TDog
09-26-2007, 01:21 PM
I watched it last night and thought it was pretty funny. Is Comiskey a "must see" tourist attraction when visiting the city of Chicago? What percentage of Americans if you asked them on the street would know the Sox play at Comiskey Park? I'm guessing it would be less than ten.

As opposed to Wrigley Field. A man from Liverpool, England, who I met in a Dublin pub, who had never seen a baseball game but knew the Cubs played in Wrigley Field. Such is the power of the Cubs' myth machine.

thomas35forever
09-26-2007, 01:51 PM
I saw the episode and chuckled when I saw "Wherever the White Sox Play." It's funny because it's true that Wrigley Field is known to baseball and non-baseball lovers alike. Tourists couldn't give a **** about Comiskey. I don't take offense to this joke at all.

kittle42
09-26-2007, 01:56 PM
I don't take offense to this joke at all.

Anyone who does is silly.

jenn2080
09-26-2007, 02:09 PM
I thought it was hysterical. :D: No need to get your undies in a bunch.

pierzynski07
09-26-2007, 02:21 PM
As opposed to Wrigley Field. A man from Liverpool, England, who I met in a Dublin pub, who had never seen a baseball game but knew the Cubs played in Wrigley Field. Such is the power of the Cubs' myth machine.
I blame Perfect Strangers.

kittle42
09-26-2007, 04:14 PM
I blame Perfect Strangers.

"Don't take Wayne's name in vain."