PDA

View Full Version : *Official* No one cares anymore 9/23/07

KyWhiSoxFan
09-23-2007, 07:50 PM
The game's been over for hours and no one has started a thread? Not much new one can say about another getaway day defeat.

Well, I'll try: If Floyd could avoid the one big inning he seems to always give up, he may be okay. But that's a big if.

And has Konerko already cleaned out his locker and gone for the season? He's been MIA for weeks.

Lip Man 1
09-23-2007, 08:30 PM
Today's game was typical of the season...a no name pitcher (Kevin Slowey...who?) strikes out nine Sox in seven innings.

They couldn't touch him.

Where have we seen this before?

Lip

LITTLE NELL
09-23-2007, 08:35 PM
Sox have a hard time when it comes to a sweep. Oh well you cant win em all.

chisoxmike
09-23-2007, 08:37 PM
Today's game was typical of the season...a no name pitcher (Kevin Slowey...who?) strikes out nine Sox in seven innings.

They couldn't touch him.

Where have we seen this before?

Lip

The past two seasons.

Lip Man 1
09-23-2007, 09:00 PM
Actually it's been on a regular basis since 2003. I recall Melton going off on the post game show over this after some goofball in Texas beat the Sox that year.

Lip

Hitmen77
09-23-2007, 09:02 PM
Hey, if we just keep winning series this year, we'll be looking good at the end of the season.

chisoxmike
09-23-2007, 09:03 PM
Actually it's been on a regular basis since 2003. I recall Melton going off on the post game show over this after some goofball in Texas beat the Sox that year.

Lip

That's so true.

Remember last year...http://mlb.mlb.com/images/trans.gif Runelvys Hernandez??? I don't even think he's pitching anymore!

Ugh.

palehozenychicty
09-23-2007, 09:58 PM
That's so true.

Remember last year...http://mlb.mlb.com/images/trans.gif Runelvys Hernandez??? I don't even think he's pitching anymore!

Ugh.

And people think that this offense just had an off-year....:rolleyes:.

chisoxmike
And people think that this offense just had an off-year....:rolleyes:.

The Sox have had a bad offense, or better yet, a over-rated offense for two seasons now.

kevin57
We've had an embarassing habit of making no-name pitchers look like Cy Young.

Shouldn't it be Walker's job to prep players to deal with this sort of a situation? Oh, that's right, he's not responsible for this woeful offense.:rolleyes:

kittle42
09-23-2007, 10:39 PM
Hey, if we just keep winning series this year, we'll be looking good at the end of the season.

Thanks for bringing up one of my favorite great arguments from early this season, when everyone was fine with blowing games or completely lackluster performances as long as the Sox won each series.

DoItForDanPasqua
09-23-2007, 11:16 PM

:rolleyes:

It's incredible that this has been going on for years.

jdm2662
09-23-2007, 11:20 PM
Thanks for bringing up one of my favorite great arguments from early this season, when everyone was fine with blowing games or completely lackluster performances as long as the Sox won each series.

Only problem with that arguement is you actually have to win series first. The Sox haven't done much of that this season, either... Then again, what have they done this season?

JB98
09-23-2007, 11:39 PM
The Sox have had a bad offense, or better yet, a over-rated offense for two seasons now.

I wouldn't compare this year's offense with last year. In 2006, the Sox hit .285 as a club, were among the league leaders in runs and led the league in hitting with RISP. Was the execution faulty at times? You bet. Was it all or nothing at times? You bet. But it wasn't a poor offensive team.

This year's club is a poor offensive team. They are not good offensively in any area. Slowey isn't the first pitcher to have a career day against this club. Hell, he wasn't even the first pitcher to have a career day against this club this week. (see Grienke, Zach)

JB98
09-23-2007, 11:43 PM

I've always hated the "just win series" argument as well. The Sox had eight different occasions last year where they won the first two games of a three-game set, only to drop the third game. We lost the division by five games. Think it would have helped if we had gone ahead and finished some people off last season? I do.

We haven't had nearly as many scenarios where we've won the first two games of a series this year, but on the rare occasions we have, we've lost the third game more often than not.

I don't know why there is so much emphasis on winning series. The emphasis should be on winning that day's game, regardless of what took place the two nights before.

chisoxmike
09-23-2007, 11:53 PM
I wouldn't compare this year's offense with last year. In 2006, the Sox hit .285 as a club, were among the league leaders in runs and led the league in hitting with RISP. Was the execution faulty at times? You bet. Was it all or nothing at times? You bet. But it wasn't a poor offensive team.

This year's club is a poor offensive team. They are not good offensively in any area. Slowey isn't the first pitcher to have a career day against this club. Hell, he wasn't even the first pitcher to have a career day against this club this week. (see Grienke, Zach)

Yeah, but, the Sox have been making **** pitchers look like Cy Youngs. They also can't hit lefties with a change up or lefties in a general. When a team throws a call-up out there on the mound, the Sox crap the bed. When they have runners in scoring position with less than two outs, unless they hit a home run, they can't get the runner in.

This has been going on for two years now, it has been bad enough when the team could hit last year. This year has been awful.

drewcifer
09-23-2007, 11:54 PM
Gavin Floyd

Loss

Hitmen77
09-23-2007, 11:56 PM

Shouldn't it be Walker's job to prep players to deal with this sort of a situation? Oh, that's right, he's not responsible for this woeful offense.:rolleyes:

I totally agree. The maddening thing about it is that the Sox roster changes over the course of a few years and we still have this same embarrassing habit. That points to more than just the fault of the current 13 or so hitters we have on the team - there has to be some accountability on Walker, the other coaches, and the scouts.

JB98
09-23-2007, 11:59 PM
Yeah, but, the Sox have been making **** pitchers look like Cy Youngs. They also can't hit lefties with a change up or lefties in a general. When a team throws a call-up out there on the mound, the Sox crap the bed. When they have runners in scoring position with less than two outs, unless they hit a home run, they can't get the runner in.

This has been going on for two years now, it has been bad enough when the team could hit last year. This year has been awful.

This year, I share in your frustration. I thought the offense was the strength of the team in 2006. We had starting pitchers having down years, and that cost us a return trip to the playoffs.