PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Wow, no Game Day thread??? game thread and post game thread

RadioheadRocks
09-21-2007, 09:05 PM
Well, have at it then!

6-4 Sox, bottom of the 7th, Thome and Fields both homered! :bandance:

JB98
09-21-2007, 09:18 PM
Well, have at it then!

6-4 Sox, bottom of the 7th, Thome and Fields both homered! :bandance:

Fields has homered twice, both long shots off Santana. He's also misplayed a couple balls in left.

Josh is the new Manos. His bat giveth, his glove taketh. :D:

In other news, Andy Gonzalez has an error tonight, and Konerko has saved his ass on two other occasions.

BeeBeeRichard
09-21-2007, 09:24 PM
Can we call our leftfielder Josh Hits instead, since it's a more accurate name?

Josh Hitsİ

The Immigrant
09-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Josh Fields is country strong.

soxfan80
09-21-2007, 09:31 PM
Fields has homered twice, both long shots off Santana. He's also misplayed a couple balls in left.

Josh is the new Manos. His bat giveth, his glove taketh. :D:

In other news, Andy Gonzalez has an error tonight, and Konerko has saved his ass on two other occasions.

IN LEFT FIELD.

How many would've he missed at third, his REAL POSITION?

JB98
09-21-2007, 09:33 PM
IN LEFT FIELD.

How many would've he missed at third, his REAL POSITION?

Probably a couple. Fields has been unimpressive at both 3B and in LF this year. His power and ability to hit in the clutch have been impressive.

soxfanatlanta
09-21-2007, 09:37 PM
Probably a couple. Fields has been unimpressive at both 3B and in LF this year. His power and ability to hit in the clutch have been impressive.

Hopefully, he will get better playing winter ball.

JB98
09-21-2007, 09:38 PM

Cross your fingers.

Konerko just saved another Gonzalez error with a nice pick in the ninth.

HomeFish
09-21-2007, 09:38 PM
The second coming of Carlos Lee?

soxfanatlanta
09-21-2007, 09:39 PM
That's the game!

Huzzah!

The Immigrant
09-21-2007, 09:40 PM
:winner

:twinslose

The Immigrant
09-21-2007, 09:41 PM

More like Adam Dunn, but I'll take it. It's not like Twinkle Toes was a great outfielder.

Sockinchisox
09-21-2007, 09:50 PM

I believe I read somewhere that he's not playing winter ball.

JB98
09-21-2007, 09:52 PM
I believe I read somewhere that he's not playing winter ball.

He's going to play in the Instructional League in Arizona right after the season ends.

Sockinchisox
09-21-2007, 09:55 PM
He's going to play in the Instructional League in Arizona right after the season ends.

Ya, Ok I know about that.

Hendu
09-21-2007, 10:15 PM
Beating the Twins is always sweet. :bandance::bandance:

oeo
09-21-2007, 10:31 PM

How can you already make comparisons? Maybe he will be Carlos Lee out there the rest of his career, but he could also end up being very solid out there. He's got about 25 games of experience in the outfield...you act as if he's been out there forever. He's learning on the fly.

If he's this bad next year, then you can make comparisons...as of right now, he's still learning.

whitesoxfan
09-21-2007, 10:34 PM
Uh, I don't really care that Fields is misplaying balls. There's nothing to lose so let him learn a new position for next year. You have to find a place for a rookie that has 22 homers in half a season. This kid is absolutely ridiculous.

chisox77
09-21-2007, 10:38 PM
Josh Fields has been one of the positives of this season. I think he'll be at least okay as a leftfielder next year, and everyone knows he has a strong and productive bat.

voodoochile
09-21-2007, 10:47 PM
Josh Fields has been one of the positives of this season. I think he'll be at least okay as a leftfielder next year, and everyone knows he has a strong and productive bat.

If Manny Ramirez and Dave Kingman both could handle the position, Fields can too. He's still missing some he should get to, but he's also getting to ones he wasn't when this started and reading the ball better off the bat from what I can tell. He isn't ever going to be Ricky Henderson out there, but he should be serviceable and his bat needs to be in the lineup. Besides if Crede doesn't come back strong they can always move him to 3B and figure out what to do with LF...

HomeFish
09-21-2007, 10:49 PM
How can you already make comparisons? Maybe he will be Carlos Lee out there the rest of his career, but he could also end up being very solid out there. He's got about 25 games of experience in the outfield...you act as if he's been out there forever. He's learning on the fly.

If he's this bad next year, then you can make comparisons...as of right now, he's still learning.

Hey, I was a big Carlos Lee fan. In 2003 and 2004, I essentially lived in Section 159, and I grew to appreciate him in ways that other people didn't. On WSI, I was perhaps the harshest critic of the Carlos Lee trade.

Also, Carlos Lee was a converted third baseman, which is a critical part of the comparison.

oeo
09-21-2007, 10:50 PM
Besides if Crede doesn't come back strong they can always move him to 3B and figure out what to do with LF...

Exactly, if anything else, Fields expands our options for next year...something we sorely need.

oeo
09-21-2007, 10:52 PM
Hey, I was a big Carlos Lee fan. In 2003 and 2004, I essentially lived in Section 159, and I grew to appreciate him in ways that other people didn't. On WSI, I was perhaps the harshest critic of the Carlos Lee trade.

I never said you weren't a fan, but I think it's early to start comparing his defensive skills to Fields'. Fields is currently learning the position; Carlos ended up never really learning it all that well. And that could be the case for Fields, as well, but it's far too early to tell.

HomeFish
09-21-2007, 10:56 PM
I never said you weren't a fan, but I think it's early to start comparing his defensive skills to Fields'. Fields is currently learning the position; Carlos ended up never really learning it all that well. And that could be the case for Fields, as well, but it's far too early to tell.

Carlos Lee learned his position. He just also learned bad habits like staring at girls in the stands.

Viva Medias B's
09-21-2007, 11:04 PM
I like Johan and would love to have him in our rotation, but I surely will not lose sleep over our beating him tonight!

MetroPD
09-22-2007, 04:14 AM
So what are we to do with Ryan Sweeney? Fields looks good out there, maybe Sweeney can be moved over to center?

Grzegorz
09-22-2007, 04:54 AM
So what are we to do with Ryan Sweeney? Fields looks good out there, maybe Sweeney can be moved over to center?

Sweeney, with his strong arm, is the right fielder of the future. In two years, when Dye moves to full time DH, you'll find Sweeney in right field.

Hopefully we'll see Sweeney in right field next year when Dye gets some at bats in as DH.

SBSoxFan
09-22-2007, 06:47 AM
Wow, all this bickering over Fields/Lee. Can I remind people that the White Sox beat Johan Santana while scoring 6 runs off him?!

Also, Owens had 2 hits, and Thome hit a HR of a lefty. :o: What is going on here?

wassagstdu
09-22-2007, 07:29 AM
Uh, I don't really care that Fields is misplaying balls. There's nothing to lose so let him learn a new position for next year. You have to find a place for a rookie that has 22 homers in half a season. This kid is absolutely ridiculous.
His hitting is "stupid." And his fielding is stupid.

wassagstdu
09-22-2007, 07:33 AM

Also, Carlos Lee was a converted third baseman, which is a critical part of the comparison.
I enjoyed watching Carlos Lee get better and better in left. He went from being a butcher to a decent left fielder (I thought) over a couple of years. Fields may too. But it will take time.

southside rocks
09-22-2007, 08:46 AM
If Manny Ramirez and Dave Kingman both could handle the position, Fields can too. He's still missing some he should get to, but he's also getting to ones he wasn't when this started and reading the ball better off the bat from what I can tell. He isn't ever going to be Ricky Henderson out there, but he should be serviceable and his bat needs to be in the lineup. Besides if Crede doesn't come back strong they can always move him to 3B and figure out what to do with LF...

Exactly. And he's learning the different stadiums; the Metrodome is a vile place to play the outfield and he's finding that out firsthand.

Man, the kvetching on this board is beyond enjoyable for me. I still love White Sox baseball and I don't want to slam rookies who are learning their jobs; and I don't want to keep slamming guys like Greg Walker, who I guarantee has suffered more this year than any poster on this board. What happened to WSI? It used to be fun, and not just when the team was in first place.

Oh, and I think that a returned-to-form Jose Contreras will be the White Sox #3 starter next year. That's how much of an optimist I am.

I'll take my lack of hate elsewhere. Have a good offseason, everyone, and better luck in 2008.

Noneck
09-22-2007, 08:47 AM
I enjoyed watching Carlos Lee get better and better in left. He went from being a butcher to a decent left fielder (I thought) over a couple of years. Fields may too. But it will take time.

You are correct, In his last year with the Sox 04, he was errorless for the season.

ZombieRob
09-22-2007, 10:32 AM
has anyone heard about any plans of asking him to play in winter ball to get more time in the outfield and work on his stroke to right field? if he decides to ,I'm all for it.

voodoochile
09-22-2007, 10:35 AM
has anyone heard about any plans of asking him to play in winter ball to get more time in the outfield and work on his stroke to right field? if he decides to ,I'm all for it.

I would actually hope he doesn't play but gets some time in shagging flies as practice. After a pretty intense rookie season, the down time probably means more than the practice does.

Hitmen77
09-22-2007, 10:38 AM
Exactly. And he's learning the different stadiums; the Metrodome is a vile place to play the outfield and he's finding that out firsthand.

I think this is an important point. Not to excuse any continued misplays and his need to improve - but I was expecting him to have a hard time playing LF for the first time in the CrapDome.

Hitmen77
09-22-2007, 10:47 AM
Great win last night. 2 HRs by Fields. Thome just missed a second HR.

7 straight seasons of 10+ victories for Mark Buehrle.

It seems like a bit of an off year for Santana. 13 losses, 33 HRs surrendered. Don't get me wrong, he's still very good and that 3.29 ERA is still great, but seems like he's slipped a bit this year from his usual Cy Young award-type season.

Lip Man 1
09-22-2007, 11:36 AM
That's because he's spending time thinking about where to tell the moving van to go!

:D:

Lip