PDA

View Full Version : Bonds not returning to the Giants next season....?

JermaineDye05
09-21-2007, 06:52 PM
Wouldn't be a surprise if it happened.

Link (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070921&content_id=2222175&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

itsnotrequired
09-21-2007, 07:06 PM
ESPN reports it is a done deal.

Brian26
09-21-2007, 07:40 PM
Let the speculation begin.

I say the Yankees.

eastchicagosoxfan
09-21-2007, 07:59 PM
Let the speculation begin.

I say the Yankees.
I won't be surprised if no one will take a chance of him. He'll want superstar money. Since August 01, he's had 7 HR's and 17 RBI's. Physically, he's through. He'll be 44 next year. I don't see him helping anybody win, and I doubt he'll put any fannies in seats.

Hendu
09-21-2007, 08:36 PM
Smart move by the Giants. They need to get younger in a hurry, and develop their own identity.

Someone will take a chance on Barry if the price is right. And that's the crux of the problem...if Barry still thinks he's worth 20 mil, or even 10 mil per year, he'll be unemployed.

HomeFish
09-21-2007, 08:48 PM
Somebody will sign him. With 30 teams, there's a market for everyone.

Frontman
09-21-2007, 09:06 PM
Somebody will sign him. With 30 teams, there's a market for everyone.

Cut that close to half. He's at best a DH now, so who in the American League would take a chance on him, or roll the dice to put more fannies in the seats?

FloridaTigers
09-21-2007, 09:09 PM
Tigers don't need him.

Please Tigers, don't sign him.

mwc44
09-21-2007, 09:10 PM
I won't be surprised if no one will take a chance of him...

... and the 2nd best thing about him not signing with anyone (the first obviously being that he'll be gone for good) is that he won't be able to join the 3000 hit club! :bandance:

DumpJerry
09-21-2007, 10:41 PM
Within 48 hours of a report that MLB will seek the ok from the Players' Assoc. for HGH testing next year this happens.

What a coincidence.

He will get signed the same day I am named the Bears' starting QB in the NFC Title Game.

He is that toxic.

pierzynski07
09-22-2007, 12:15 AM
... and the 2nd best thing about him not signing with anyone (the first obviously being that he'll be gone for good) is that he won't be able to join the 3000 hit club! :bandance:
Banana Dance?

FedEx227
09-22-2007, 12:21 AM
Banana Dance?

Yup. Ding Dong the gianted-headed Freak is dead.
:bandance::supernana::bandance::supernana:

pierzynski07
09-22-2007, 12:34 AM
Yeah, I got that. It just seemed odd that him not reaching 3000 hits was such a good thing. :?:

FireMariotti
09-22-2007, 03:40 AM
:fobbgod:Welcome to the club!!!

Frontman
09-22-2007, 06:18 AM
Within 48 hours of a report that MLB will seek the ok from the Players' Assoc. for HGH testing next year this happens.

What a coincidence.

He will get signed the same day I am named the Bears' starting QB in the NFC Title Game.

He is that toxic.

No, I still think you have better odds of signing and starting for the Bears than Barry does.

I mean, LOOK at our QB and his rating! :wink:

Fenway
09-22-2007, 08:37 AM
reaction from "The City"

http://sfgate.com/c/pictures/2007/09/22/sp_bondsfronts.jpg

When the Giants announced that they will parts ways with Barry Bonds (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/09/22/MN7CSCBAT.DTL), the team set up the slugger for one of the biggest disappointments (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/09/22/SPA2SCAJB.DTL) of his career. Gwen Knapp.
More: Fans not surprised (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/09/22/MN5RSBVA9.DTL) | Ratto: 15-year marriage ends (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/09/22/SPE0SC84P.DTL)

When I saw a game there last year I was shocked at how much the Giants fans loved him. I booed him and was immediately confronted with angry Giants fans. I said I was from Boston and their reaction was "that figures"

DumpJerry
09-22-2007, 09:25 AM
Yeah, I got that. It just seemed odd that him not reaching 3000 hits was such a good thing. :?:
Well, you've exposed yourself to be a sorry Barry apologist.

Barry Bonds in jail and all of his records wiped off the books permanently is a great thing. Too bad that won't happen, Judge Landis has been dead for quite a while now.

pierzynski07
09-22-2007, 10:10 AM
You never answered the question numnuts.

What's the big deal that he doesn't reach 3,000? It's not like any HOF voters will change their mind if he reaches it.

Hendu
09-22-2007, 11:12 AM
I still think that if Barry lowers his expectations down to 5 mil or less, some team will bite.

TDog
09-22-2007, 12:08 PM
Well, you've exposed yourself to be a sorry Barry apologist.

Barry Bonds in jail and all of his records wiped off the books permanently is a great thing. Too bad that won't happen, Judge Landis has been dead for quite a while now.

Under the Judge Landis mindset, Barry Bonds wouldn't have come close to breaking Ruth's record. There would be no Henry Aaron home run record, although both Bonds and Aaron may have been legends to those who followed the Indianapolis Clowns.

It is possible that under the Landis mindset there wouldn't have been a problem with performance-enhancing drugs, not because the commissioner would have done the right thing and violated players' due process rights by banishing users from the game and expunging their records, but because players wouldn't have been able to afford performance-enhancing drugs. Another possibility is that performance-enhancing drugs would have been made mandatory to increase attendance. Landis, a man who ending Dickie Kerr's major league career because he held out for more money, was no moral compass.

It's unfortunate that Bonds and some others seem to have diminished the value of home run records. But there is nothing the commissioner could or should do about it.

As for Bonds, I primarily hope he doesn't play for the White Sox next year. (The team need only do a little market research to reach the conclusion that signing Bonds would hurt attendance.) I secondarily hope his career is over.

DumpJerry
09-22-2007, 11:19 PM
You never answered the question numnuts.

What's the big deal that he doesn't reach 3,000? It's not like any HOF voters will change their mind if he reaches it.
Not sure what a "numnuts" is, so I can't consider this to be as personal attack like calling someone numbnuts.

If the answer to your question is not readily apparent, give it some more thought.

Frontman
09-23-2007, 08:02 AM
Bonds will get into the HoF, sadly. He probably will get in first ballot, even with Mark McGwire not being voted in. The writers can talk themselves into anything, and when its Barry's turn; none of them want the title "racist" hung round their necks. Its an easier move to blow off Mark McGwire. For them to do so with Barry; the Barry apologists will be immediately referring to him being passed over due to the color of his skin. Heck, they already are playing that card for Barry's release. Like no other team has ever released a black player. Especially one who was a perennial all-star and should be HoF bound.

http://chicagoist.com/attachments/chicago_benjy/2005_12_sports_frank_thomas.jpg
"Wait, what about me?"

This thread isn't about you Frank. Gosh, what an attention grabber! :wink: But some parrellels can be drawn between them. Both were the biggest stars on their respective teams at one time. Both can be considered HoF caliber players.

If anything, the difference between Frank Thomas and Barry Bonds is clear. Frank didn't play a race card with his release from the Sox (played a boatload of other cards, but never once did he use race as a reason for the Sox letting him go.) Frank also appreciated the fans when he returned last season with the A's, and even understood the boos after his second home run off of Sox pitching, as "That's how its supposed to be." Even Frank's supporters on this site never brought his race into the conversation after his departure.

I keep hearing folks mention the Twins as a possible location for Barry to wind up, but I highly doubt that. If they aren't willing to talk money with Torii Hunter, a fan favorite in Minneapolis; I doubt they're going to put up with ego fest on 'roids (allegedly. I don't need to be sued over that.)

TDog
09-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Sunday at the Giants games in the steep seats near the top of the park behind home plate, whenever the home starting left fielder or a pinch hitter came up to bat, someone would scream, "We want Bonds." A man sitting behind me answered quietly in a rhythm as if he were shouting back, "Bonds doesn't care."