PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie On 2008

Lip Man 1
09-20-2007, 03:47 PM
From White Sox.com. Ozzie talks about three areas that simply must be better in 2008.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070920&content_id=2220081&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Lip

lostfan
09-20-2007, 03:58 PM
Changing the approach in spring training... woot, this team was horrific on fundamentals this year. This needs to be beat into the heads of the younger players.

As for the young guys Richar is starting to come around, Owens is still progressing, and Fields needs to hit for a better average. Richar, in my mind, is already matching Iguchi's levels of production and is still going up. What I'm noticing though is that his average and OPS has gone up but his K's have increased and walks have gone down. I still think it's piss-poor that Owens came to the majors not knowing how to bunt, a complete indictment of something at our lower organizational levels. His numbers are skewed by a terrible August where he struck out TWENTY-FIVE times but at the same time started drawing more walks, as he's continued to do. Besides that his numbers look acceptable for his level of experience.

BainesHOF
09-20-2007, 04:12 PM
What a bunch of jive.

Remember all the talk about bunting and fundamentals coming into this year?

jenn2080
09-20-2007, 04:28 PM
What a bunch of jive.

YES! That went over well:rolleyes:

Lip Man 1
09-20-2007, 04:37 PM
I was going to make that comment to lost.

Ozzie insisted on a field in the spring 'dedicated' to nothing but fundamentals and it was mandatory daily for everyone expect Konerko, Thome and Dye.

As others have stated, that went over well didn't it?

The 'fault' for this lies with the players for not getting it right, period. For the coaching staff for not teaching it properly (and that includes the screwed up minor league staff) and for Ozzie because when things were going south and guys continued to screw up bunting, running the bases, executing fundamentals... he did nothing.

No benchings, no popping off to the press about them, no fines.

Nothing.

Lip

jdm2662
09-20-2007, 04:37 PM
YES! That went over well:rolleyes:

Quite well actually. Don't worry, once the Sox hit their stride, they will be fine... :redneck

lostfan
09-20-2007, 04:45 PM

Ozzie insisted on a field in the spring 'dedicated' to nothing but fundamentals and it was mandatory daily for everyone expect Konerko, Thome and Dye.

The 'fault' for this lies with the players for not getting it right, period. For the coaching staff for not teaching it properly (and that includes the screwed up minor league staff) and for Ozzie because when things were going south and guys continued to screw up bunting, running the bases, executing fundamentals... he did nothing.

Nothing.

Lip
The "woot" was supposed to indicate mild sarcasm.

oeo
09-20-2007, 04:56 PM

Yeah, and they did do that bull****. I feel like that's half the problem. It was emphasized too much...they're thinking too much about getting the job at hand done, and that's not good at all. Thinking is bad, bad, bad.

A. Cavatica
09-20-2007, 05:37 PM
Nothing Ozzie says means anything.

TornLabrum
09-20-2007, 06:10 PM
Nothing Ozzie says means anything.

Kind of like a lot that is said on these message boards.

delben91
09-20-2007, 07:44 PM
Yeah, and they did do that bull****. I feel like that's half the problem. It was emphasized too much...they're thinking too much about getting the job at hand done, and that's not good at all. Thinking is bad, bad, bad.

I think the Sox should invite Allen Iverson to spring training next year as a guest instructor. :cool:

Grzegorz
09-20-2007, 08:43 PM
I want KW to go out and get Ozzie his type of team. I want to see what Oz can do when he holds a "winning" hand.

jdm2662
09-20-2007, 09:13 PM
I think the Sox should invite Allen Iverson to spring training next year as a guest instructor. :cool:

Ask and you shall receive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frsId3goYYE

One of my favorite press conferences of all time. :D:

oeo
09-20-2007, 09:39 PM

No, don't get me wrong, they should definitely practice. Just don't make such a big deal of it, that it's all over the papers constantly. MLB players should be able to lay a bunt down, and that includes guys like Konerko and Thome (even though they shouldn't be bunting).

Frater Perdurabo
09-21-2007, 06:07 AM
Kind of like a lot that is said on these message boards.

Exactly. Now where's my contract extension through 2012? :redneck

wassagstdu
09-21-2007, 06:49 AM
I want KW to go out and get Ozzie his type of team. I want to see what Oz can do when he holds a "winning" hand.

Watch your 2005 DVD.

delben91
09-21-2007, 06:50 AM
Ask and you shall receive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frsId3goYYE

One of my favorite press conferences of all time. :D:

I haven't seen it in years, and I had forgotten how amazing that press conference was.

No, don't get me wrong, they should definitely practice. Just don't make such a big deal of it, that it's all over the papers constantly. MLB players should be able to lay a bunt down, and that includes guys like Konerko and Thome (even though they shouldn't be bunting).

No, I know what you meant, I was just jerking your chain a bit, my apologies for that. I think what you say has some validity, at least as far as, "just go out and do what you've got planned in spring training without making a huge scene about it in the media ahead of time."

I imagine the guys would get just as much out of "focusing on fundamentals" in spring training regardless of the media's advance knowledge of said focus.

eriqjaffe
09-21-2007, 08:17 AM
From White Sox.com. Ozzie talks about three areas that simply must be better in 2008.Without reading the article, are the three areas hitting, pitching and fielding?

INSox56
09-21-2007, 09:10 AM
No, don't get me wrong, they should definitely practice. Just don't make such a big deal of it, that it's all over the papers constantly. MLB players should be able to lay a bunt down, and that includes guys like Konerko and Thome (even though they shouldn't be bunting).Agreed...bunting is one of the easiest things in the game, or should be. If you can catch a ball, you can bunt, it's as simple as that.

Lip Man 1
09-21-2007, 09:26 AM
IN:

It may seem simple but the Sox have had major issues with this every season since 2001, with the exception of 2005 when they were the league leader in sacrifice bunts, sacrifice flys and in infield hits.

Lip

Flight #24
09-21-2007, 09:44 AM
OK, so Ozzie says he needs to spend more time on the younger players and not on Dye/Thome/Konerko. Didn't Walk just say a few days ago that his mistake in ST was spending too much time on the kids and not enough on the vets?:?:

Lip Man 1
09-21-2007, 09:47 AM
Good catch!

I wonder if someone will pick up on this.

Lip

ondafarm
09-21-2007, 01:27 PM
Agreed...bunting is one of the easiest things in the game, or should be. If you can catch a ball, you can bunt, it's as simple as that.

Gotta admit to disagreeing here, respectfully. When I played minor league ball in Japan and was considered a master bunter, my prowess came from years of experience (my mother, a big Nellie Fox fan, taught me his way while in Little League) and hours of practice. Near every road stadium we played at (roughly 25 over the three years) we had located a suitable public batting cage (part of our pre-series scouting report) where I would take at least an hour per series of extra bunting practice, away from the eyes of the opposition. I would routinely, during my games off, pinch hit in order to sac bunt.

my5thbench
09-21-2007, 02:13 PM
I'm old & sickly.....but I can stilll bunt....so can my 17 year daughter....it
ain't that tuff....drop your butt

Flight #24
09-21-2007, 02:46 PM
I'm old & sickly.....but I can stilll bunt....so can my 17 year daughter....it
ain't that tuff....drop your butt

I remember an old HS coach telling me it wasn't that hard, as long as you focused on "catching the ball with the bat" rather than trying to hit it (which usually resulted in Ks or popups).

I don't remember it being all that hard when you approached it that way.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-22-2007, 09:22 AM
Watch your 2005 DVD.

I support whatever changes Ozzie and KW agree to make for 2008. Making noise in the media is a sign of managerial weakness, not strength.

Kudos to Ozzie for keeping this soap opera private. There isn't anyone reading this that needs to know one damned thing about what is going on inside the Sox clubhhouse.

Meanwhile your advice works well to tide me over, too.

:cool:

guillen4life13
09-22-2007, 08:58 PM
I remember an old HS coach telling me it wasn't that hard, as long as you focused on "catching the ball with the bat" rather than trying to hit it (which usually resulted in Ks or popups).

I don't remember it being all that hard when you approached it that way.

When did you play baseball?

RowanDye
09-22-2007, 11:54 PM

Nothing.

Lip

I don't think a few failed bunts a month can account for the massive drop in batting averages this year. I'm all for getting better at the fundamentals of the game, but trying to blame people for this is like trying to pick your nose with your foot.

Lip Man 1
09-23-2007, 12:37 PM
Rowan:

How many games have been lost this season because of poor execution? Because they can't steal bases? Because they can't hit and run? Because they can't advance runners or get runners home with less then two out?

For example did you know that according to this week's print edition of The Sporting News the Sox have hit into 10 double plays this season with the bases loaded.

TEN.

One run games are lost because of not being able to do the 'little things'

Yes it's that important and people need to be held accountable for it. These are major leaguers for God's sake.

No failed bunts don't account for the massive drop in batting averages but they sure as hell help account for the number of wins this season.

Maybe if these guys got away from the 'all or nothing,' 'swing for the fences' 'hit that eight run home run' mindset they might actually be able to execute fundamentals at times and win more games.

Just look at 2005 and you get all the evidence you need for this 'balanced' offense arguement.

Lip