PDA

View Full Version : Has Contreras turned it around?

rowand33
09-20-2007, 11:22 AM
So, since the start of August these are Contreras's numebrs:

5-2
55 IP
3.11 ERA
38 K
1.40 WHIP

The good:
record, ERA, Ks not bad.

The bad:
That whip is BAD. And it's mainly hits.

Given his turn aroudn, what do you think we'll get out of him next season?

I think if he keeps this up he can be a fine # 4 or 5. The WHIP is a big worry though.

If we can get a .500 record and an ERA in the low 4s out of him, I'll be happy.

alohafri
09-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Sell the positives and trade his keester to anyone willing to take him.

sox1970
09-20-2007, 11:27 AM

Agreed---and they will.

Lip Man 1
09-20-2007, 11:29 AM
I agree with the above comment. Who knows for sure how old the man is or how many innings he has thrown. The Sox are in no position to gamble right now.

Lip

rowand33
09-20-2007, 11:29 AM

my reservatino about trading him is that we'll get relatively litttle for him.

And IF he returns to form, or even if he just has a season where he's 12-12 with a 4.3 ERA, he's a helluva lot more valuable than anything we'd probably get for him.

chisoxmike
09-20-2007, 11:31 AM
Shop him around and see what you can get. The Mets are really kicking themselves in the ass right now for aparantly backing off the trade.

They should still trade him, in my opinion. They can't afford to have Jose go through another 2007 again.

Hendu
09-20-2007, 11:50 AM
I'm not too worried about the WHIP, as his strikeout numbers are still good and he's not struggling with control.

However, this turnaround is great timing for the offseason trade market. I'm sure a few teams will be interested, and I'd like to see what we can get for him.

veeter
09-20-2007, 11:56 AM
I'm more anxious about this off-season than any I can remember. How the Sox respond to this nightmare is going to be very interesting and important.

CHISOXFAN13
09-20-2007, 11:56 AM

And IF he returns to form, or even if he just has a season where he's 12-12 with a 4.3 ERA, he's a helluva lot more valuable than anything we'd probably get for him.

You are aware how much money he's on the books for right? Get what you can for him and free up as much payroll as possible.

Me no trusty JC.

spiffie
09-20-2007, 12:07 PM

What you get for him is $20 million freed up to try and fill the large amount of holes. If someone would agree to take on his salary I'd give him up for a bag of balls.

ode to veeck
09-20-2007, 02:01 PM
What you get for him is $20 million freed up to try and fill the large amount of holes. If someone would agree to take on his salary I'd give him up for a bag of balls.

I think its going to be very hard to trade him without the Sox eating part of the salary, unless it were a team really in need for the playoffs (like a few in the NL right now), but during the offseason, it will be tough to unload that salary even with the late season performance

jabrch
09-20-2007, 02:13 PM
I wouldn't just give him away.

It all depends on what we can get in trade for either him or Garland. One stays - one goes - and it largely depends on what the market will bear for both of them.

getonbckthr
09-20-2007, 02:14 PM
I wonder if the Mets want him for 1 start this season to help them get into the playoffs? Sure he cant be on the playoff roster but the point is to at least get there.

ilsox7
09-20-2007, 02:15 PM
I wonder if the Mets want him for 1 start this season to help them get into the playoffs? Sure he cant be on the playoff roster but the point is to at least get there.

This would never happen.

Mickster
09-20-2007, 02:32 PM

Didn't the waiver trade deadline pass on August 31? :dunno:

getonbckthr
09-20-2007, 02:33 PM
Didn't the waiver trade deadline pass on August 31? :dunno:
That is to be on the playoff roster. Moves can be made for the next week but they can't play in the playoffs.

PatK
09-20-2007, 04:14 PM
He's not throwing sidearm 75% of the time anymore.

JB98
09-20-2007, 08:39 PM
I wouldn't just give him away.

It all depends on what we can get in trade for either him or Garland. One stays - one goes - and it largely depends on what the market will bear for both of them.

I'd give him away to anyone who is willing to take on that contract.

This stretch of good pitching is fools gold, just like Uribe's recent power surge.

ws05champs
09-20-2007, 10:30 PM
So, since the start of August these are Contreras's numebrs:

1.40 WHIP

The bad:
That whip is BAD. And it's mainly hits.

Actually the league average WHIP is 1.40. Currently Contreras' overall season WHIP is 1.57 so a WHIP of 1.40 is an improvement. And I would rather see his WHIP be more hits than walks because walks shows a lack of control. He really had some personal problems early in the season which may have impacted his performance. I like what I have been seeing lately but I'm still not sure I trust him.

I'm sure Kenny will see what he can get for him and if he can't get enough, maybe Contreras will make a decent #4 or 5 pitcher.

Bucky F. Dent
09-20-2007, 10:37 PM
I'm happy that he's made a good showing in the past several outings, but God love him, he's fifty years old.

Sell him for what you can.

drewcifer
09-20-2007, 11:40 PM
Just leave, Jose.

BainesHOF
09-21-2007, 12:21 AM
Everything accomplished in the last month has to be taken with a grain of salt as many minor leaguers can be found in lineups these days. Hopefully we can find someone willing to take Contreras off our hands, though.

Frater Perdurabo
09-21-2007, 06:10 AM
Start shopping to him to the NL East: Mets, Phillies, Braves.

Cuck_The_Fubs
09-21-2007, 11:09 AM
He's not throwing sidearm 75% of the time anymore.
That's an interesting point you bring up. If he was throwing sidearm 75% of the time before, that may indicate that he was injured. His age is dubiously recored in the mid-30's, obviously a load of crock. As far as next year goes, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets hurt, or even turns it around. He's been pitching pretty good as of late, and makes you wonder if he's been getting any therapy for his ailments.

I love seeing Contreras perform to his maximum. I hope for the best as far as the '08 season goes.

soxfan80
09-21-2007, 04:46 PM
get whatever you can for him, and MOVE ON.

Sockinchisox
09-21-2007, 05:51 PM
If Contreras gives us leverage to help sign Alexei Ramirez and end the Juan Uribe era, keep him around.

California Sox
09-21-2007, 06:57 PM
If Contreras gives us leverage to help sign Alexei Ramirez and end the Juan Uribe era, keep him around.

Are you talking about the Cuban? I'm as big a "sign amateur talent" as you can find on this board, but it is a huge jump from splitting time between ss and of in the Cuban league to starting at short in the majors.