PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Uniform Changes for 2008

WhiteSox5187
09-20-2007, 10:42 AM
This is per uniwatchblog.com, next year the White Sox will no longer wear the sleeveless alternate jersey. It's not ground breaking news but I found it interesting, also apparently two teams (The Royals and the Blue Jays) are going to have sky blue alternate jerseys (like they wore in the '70s and '80s) next year. Not sure if anyone cares about this, but I found it interesting.

skottyj242
09-20-2007, 11:02 AM
How many times have they worn the sleeveless this year?
H

kba
09-20-2007, 11:12 AM
Complete list of 2008 MLB uniform changes (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2631077)

The new Tampa Bay uniforms aren't great, but nothing can be worse than the present ones. Looks like the long-rumored team name change is happening.

Can't recall the Yankees ever wearing sleeve patches before except to commemorate ex-players who have died.

One of the posters on this other board notes that the Devil Rays wore a 10th anniversary patch this year, but the Diamondbacks are wearing one next year. And they both came into the league at the same time - 1998.

Sockinchisox
09-20-2007, 11:20 AM
This is per uniwatchblog.com, next year the White Sox will no longer wear the sleeveless alternate jersey. It's not ground breaking news but I found it interesting, also apparently two teams (The Royals and the Blue Jays) are going to have sky blue alternate jerseys (like they wore in the '70s and '80s) next year. Not sure if anyone cares about this, but I found it interesting.

NOOO!

I really like those! I have a signed Konerko one argh!

Nellie_Fox
09-20-2007, 11:21 AM
One of the posters on this other board notes that the Devil Rays wore a 10th anniversary patch this year, but the Diamondbacks are wearing one next year. And they both came into the league at the same time - 1998.So the Rays were commemorating this being their 10th year, and Diamondbacks are going to commemorate their 10th anniversary.

FedEx227
09-20-2007, 11:25 AM
Damn I actually really like the D-Rays unis right now. The new ones look like a charity softball teams. Plus they have pretty unique colors. But instead this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/94/ALE-Uniform-TB.PNG

is becoming this:
http://logan-1.mirror.waffleimages.com/files/f9/f907f98402f5232fa256de1e79f7bc4f83d5ba74.jpg

Tisk tisk MLB & Devil Rays. Plus I hate the taking of "Devil" out of the name... whats the big deal? That's the name of the animal. But apparently enough soccer moms had enough time to complain and here we go, we got the blandest jerseys/team name in the majors.

kba
09-20-2007, 11:38 AM
So the Rays were commemorating this being their 10th year, and Diamondbacks are going to commemorate their 10th anniversary.

I have to side with the Diamondbacks on this one. I got married in 1998, and I think of 2008 as our 10th anniversary. I've never thought of 2007 as being "our tenth year of marriage."

The Dodgers and Giants seem to agree. They're wearing 50 year patches next season ... for 1958.

Of course, the Devil Rays franchise has demonstrated that it can find a way to fail at almost every conceivable part of baseball, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they'd mess up the basic arithmetic of a uniform anniversary patch.

anewman35
09-20-2007, 11:38 AM
Thanks to Uni Watch...

2008 uniform changes leaked at http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2631077 this morning. If that's down, you can see pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/13895434@N04 and here's the text list:

Itís that time again, usually the new looks for teams arenít available until well into the offseason, or at least until the end of the post season, but the one big change is out, so here ya go. This is probably of most interest to both Tampa Bay fans, but thereís a few teams with new alternate jerseys too. Not a whole lot going on this year. Hereís the complete list (no team = no change):
Arizona
-Modification to alternate jersey lettering
-Modification to batting practice jersey lettering
-Modification to uniform sleeve patch
-Addition of commemorative sleeve patch
Atlanta
-Modification to BP cap
Chicago White Sox
-Elimination of alternate sleeveless home uniform
Cincinnati
-Modification to batting practice headwear mark (the two-color MLB logo on the back of official caps)
Cleveland
-Elimination of current alternate home uniform
-Addition of alternate home uniform and cap
-Removal of metallic silver in all Club logo, uniform lettering and marks
Florida
-Removal of commemorative patch
Kansas City
-Addition of alternate jersey (old school sky blues!)
-Modification to batting practice cap trim
-Modification to coloration of uniform sleeve patch
Los Angeles Dodgers
Milwaukee
-Removal of commemorative sleeve patch
Minnesota
-Modification to batting practice cap trim
-Removal of commemorative sleeve patch
New York Mets
New York Yankees
-Addition of commemorative left sleeve patch
-Addition of All-Star Game right sleeve patch at commencement of All-Star balloting through All-Star Game
Oakland
-Modification to alternate home jersey lettering
-Modification to alternate cap headwear mark
Philadelphia
-Elimination of alternate cap
-Addition of alternate uniform and cap
San Diego
-Modification to batting practice jersey lettering
-Modification to batting practice cap
San Francisco
-Removal of All-Star Game patch
-Addition of commemorative patch
Seattle
-Removal of commemorative patch
-Modification to batting practice cap
St. Louis
-Removal of World Series Champion sleeve patch
Tampa Bay Rays
-Complete identity change including Club name and Club colors
Toronto
-Change to road jersey lettering
-Addition of sleeve patch to road jersey
-Change to batting practice jersey lettering
-Addition of alternate uniform (all-sky blue pullover jersey from the 80s)
Washington

Hitmen77
09-20-2007, 11:40 AM
I liked the sleeveless unis. I'm sorry to see them go.

Those Tampa Bay new uniforms look very bland, but IMO they are better than their current ones. Their current color scheme, font, and logo are ugly.

PatK
09-20-2007, 11:41 AM
I was hoping these uniform changes involved Torii Hunter wearing Andy Gonzalez uniform next year.

Nellie_Fox
09-20-2007, 11:42 AM
I have to side with the Diamondbacks on this one. I got married in 1998, and I think of 2008 as our 10th anniversary. I've never thought of 2007 as being "our tenth year of marriage." I think it has to do with what event you are discussing. I'm like you, I always refer to my last anniversary when discussing how long I've been married, as in "I've been married 35 years." However, at work, when someone asks how long I've been at the university, I say "this is my tenth year." I don't really know why.

Nellie_Fox
09-20-2007, 11:46 AM
Thanks to Uni Watch...

We don't need two threads on this. Merged and moved to Talking Baseball, since so much discussion of other teams' uniforms is involved.

anewman35
09-20-2007, 11:58 AM
We don't need two threads on this. Merged and moved to Talking Baseball, since so much discussion of other teams' uniforms is involved.

Sorry, I just assumed it was Talking Baseball to begin with since 99% of the information involves other teams.

Hitmen77
09-20-2007, 12:10 PM
Tisk tisk MLB & Devil Rays. Plus I hate the taking of "Devil" out of the name... whats the big deal? That's the name of the animal. But apparently enough soccer moms had enough time to complain and here we go, we got the blandest jerseys/team name in the majors.

I agree that it's dumb that people are opposed to the name "Devil Rays" for moral reasons. However, I never really liked the name - it just doesn't have a nice ring to it like the "Diamondbacks" or the "Marlins" does. Still....I think going to just the Tampa Bay "Rays" is even worse. Maybe this guy can be their new mascot:
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:SuWMcbTvBFF1KM:http://www.nndb.com/people/553/000025478/ray-romano.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.nndb.com/people/553/000025478/ray-romano.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.nndb.com/people/553/000025478/&h=303&w=220&sz=15&hl=en&start=4&um=1&tbnid=SuWMcbTvBFF1KM:&tbnh=116&tbnw=84&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dray%2Bromano%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26 hl%3Den%26rls%3DDKUS,DKUS:2006-40,DKUS:en%26sa%3DN)

At least they aren't going with the other name that was being suggested - the Tarpons.

Lip Man 1
09-20-2007, 12:31 PM
I like the idea of the Sox getting rid of the alternate sleeveless jerseys. The Sox have zero history with these type uniform styles. They aren't the Reds of the 50's or the Athletics / Pirates of the 60's.

Lip

HomeFish
09-20-2007, 12:40 PM
Esteban Loaiza loved that sleeveless jersey. The Sox always wore it during his starts.

skobabe8
09-20-2007, 01:13 PM
$10 to post on that forum?? Nah.

WhiteSox5187
09-20-2007, 02:38 PM
I like the idea of the Sox getting rid of the alternate sleeveless jerseys. The Sox have zero history with these type uniform styles. They aren't the Reds of the 50's or the Athletics / Pirates of the 60's.

Lip
I agree, I never got that worked up over it anyways, but I didn't like it very much...I love those Blue Jay throwbacks! I hope they wear them a lot!

Nellie_Fox
09-20-2007, 02:39 PM
Sorry, I just assumed it was Talking Baseball to begin with since 99% of the information involves other teams.It was the other thread that was in the clubhouse.

gregoriop
09-20-2007, 03:12 PM
$10 to post on that forum?? Nah.

It's the best $10 I've ever spent.

Sup fellow WSIer/SA Goons!

Vestigio
09-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Esteban Loaiza loved that sleeveless jersey. The Sox always wore it during his starts.

Garland too also seems to like the sleeveless

russ99
09-20-2007, 03:51 PM
Maybe the Sox can go back to their old 70s powder blues, but with black instead of red...

Nellie_Fox
09-20-2007, 03:52 PM
Maybe the Sox can go back to their old 70s powder blues, but with black instead of red...Or, maybe not!

Mendoza Line
09-20-2007, 04:02 PM

Lip

I'll always associate that jersey with the 2005 ALDS. I guess technically it gives the uniform some history. (Like a week's worth). Other than that, I won't really miss it.

thomas35forever
09-20-2007, 04:07 PM
I love the sleeveless unis. The Sox should wear them for the last game of the year.

The D-Rays will be known simply as the Rays next year? I wonder if I should change the nameplate on my standings board or just leave the "Devil" on there.

FloridaTigers
09-20-2007, 04:45 PM
Cleveland
-Addition of alternate home uniform and cap

Seriously, does Cleveland need another alternate uniform or cap? Don't they have like 6 different damn uniforms?

I see nothing there for the Tigers. No surprise. I'm happy with the current scheme. I wouldn't mind though if they used the 1960 or 1980's away unis instead though. Be kinda cool.

hi im skot
09-20-2007, 05:44 PM
Seriously, does Cleveland need another alternate uniform or cap? Don't they have like 6 different damn uniforms?

I see nothing there for the Tigers. No surprise. I'm happy with the current scheme. I wouldn't mind though if they used the 1960 or 1980's away unis instead though. Be kinda cool.

Cleveland is ditching the current home alternate set and replacing it with a nice throwback set.

TheCommander
09-20-2007, 06:54 PM
The Dodgers and Giants seem to agree. They're wearing 50 year patches next season ... for 1958.

Maybe the Cubs can wear 100 year patches next year. :redneck

WhiteSoxJunkie
09-20-2007, 07:09 PM
I have always been a fan of the sleeveless jersey. There's no reason really, I just like it. The new Dev...excuse me...Rays jerseys aren't too bad. However I do like the shade of green that they currently wear. You don't see enough dark green in sports today.

Brian26
09-20-2007, 08:34 PM
I like the idea of the Sox getting rid of the alternate sleeveless jerseys. The Sox have zero history with these type uniform styles.

The Big Klu disagrees. :D:

Dan the Man
09-20-2007, 09:18 PM
This needs at least a Sunday home game wearing:

http://www.whitesoxphotos.com/galleryM/melton-bill060.jpg

FloridaTigers
09-20-2007, 09:53 PM
I have always been a fan of the sleeveless jersey. There's no reason really, I just like it. The new Dev...excuse me...Rays jerseys aren't too bad. However I do like the shade of green that they currently wear. You don't see enough dark green in sports today.

There no place for vests in baseball.

ShoelessJoeS
09-20-2007, 10:24 PM
Wow.... those all-blue Jays alternates are absolutely HIDEOUS!

WhiteSox5187
09-20-2007, 11:01 PM
I disagree, they're returning to their classic style...nothing they do can be worse than what they wear now...now if only the Mets would ditch the black...

skobabe8
09-21-2007, 09:21 AM

At least they are BLUE. Not black.

HerzogVon
09-21-2007, 09:58 AM

Ah, I still love that uniform - but NOT the powder blue roadies! That simply never worked.

As for Tampa Bay dropping the Devil...the devil you say?! Does this mean that Duke University will become the Blues? Enough!!

Oh, and Tarpons; we all know where THAT would lead, don't we? ( And in a big fat hurry! )

Former copy boy for The Tampa Bay Monthly Annoyance.

soxfan80
09-21-2007, 11:26 AM
Wow.... those all-blue Jays alternates are absolutely HIDEOUS!i prefer the powder blue jays to the black jays.

oeo
09-21-2007, 11:29 AM
While they're at it, they should dump the black alternates. Which, BTW, seem to be worn more than their actual road uniform. They're alternates, and they wear them constantly. I could probably count the number of times they wore their road unis this year on two hands.

They should just have a home and a road uniform, and that's it.

Cuck_The_Fubs
09-21-2007, 12:18 PM

Co-sign. One of my favorite uniforms of all time.

Hitmen77
09-21-2007, 01:00 PM

Gotta love that astro turf at Comiskey :puking:

My earliest memories of the Sox are when they dropped this uniform and went to the "throwback" unis that made the Sox the laughingstock of baseball.

I never cared for the red unis. It never made sense since there already was another team out there called the "Red Sox". But, somehow, these unis just fit with the tacky world of the early 70s.

TheOldRoman
09-21-2007, 04:49 PM
Esteban Loaiza loved that sleeveless jersey. The Sox always wore it during his starts.Not really. During his two years on the southside, the Sox didn't have sleeveless jerseys. They had the faux-vests with attached black sleeves. I am sorry to see the sleeveless jerseys go. If anything, they didn't wear them enough. I like them a lot, but they should have been different than the regular homes. They should have modeled it off the 1969 home jerseys - plain white with piping around the collar and down the pants. At least that would be different enough to warrant having another uni.
The biggest problem is the black jerseys. They are very nice, but they wear them too much. They are supposed to be for special occasions. Go back to black Sundays like when the new park opened, and wear the regular home and road the rest of the week. It is their alternate, but it has been worn way more than their gray jersey on the road (which is the best in all of baseball) the last few years.

The current D-Rays jerseys aren't great, but I like the colors (the green and blue, not the randomly black helmets that match nothing). The new unis are ****ing terrible.
1) The logo looks like clip art from Microsoft word
2) They are ditching a unique color scheme for a very overdone one (Nuggets, Grizzlies, and many more), including jumping on the bandwagon of wearing navy caps. With this, 12 of 30 teams will wear navy caps next year.
3) These look like unis for a local softball team sponsored by a local diner named Ray's. I would call these minor league jerseys, but minor league jerseys are usually a little wild and somewhat daring. These are just terrible.

FedEx227
09-21-2007, 05:13 PM
The current D-Rays jerseys aren't great, but I like the colors (the green and blue, not the randomly black helmets that match nothing). The new unis are ****ing terrible.
1) The logo looks like clip art from Microsoft word
2) They are ditching a unique color scheme for a very overdone one (Nuggets, Grizzlies, and many more), including jumping on the bandwagon of wearing navy caps. With this, 12 of 30 teams will wear navy caps next year.
3) These look like unis for a local softball team sponsored by a local diner named Ray's. I would call these minor league jerseys, but minor league jerseys are usually a little wild and somewhat daring. These are just terrible.

Right on the money. They look like they went to a local screen-printer and asked them to put "Rays" on the front and the guy asked if he wanted a star on it. It doesn't fit at all. Why the hell is there a star?!

I love their current colors because their unique, something thats dying from pro jerseys. Enough blue already, we don't need another bland color team. The green looked great and I liked their current jerseys, I don't see the need for the change. The current jersey doesn't even say "Devil" on it. Why the need to go for Ray's Diners Sponsored Little League team?

TheCommander
09-21-2007, 06:33 PM
i prefer the powder blue jays to the black jays.

And I prefer teal to that blinding aqua blue(?) you used. :D:
:tealpolice:

Brian26
09-21-2007, 06:44 PM
The White Sox uniforms are the best in baseball, and I hope they never change them (especially the road uniform, which is perfect in every detail down to the diamond sock on the sleeve). It took them years to finally get it right, and now they should never tinker with them in any way. They are timeless.

FloridaTigers
09-21-2007, 06:56 PM

What teams are those?

TheCommander
09-21-2007, 06:59 PM
The White Sox uniforms are the best in baseball, and I hope they never change them (especially the road uniform, which is perfect in every detail down to the diamond sock on the sleeve). It took them years to finally get it right, and now they should never tinker with them in any way. They are timeless.

100% agreed.

WhiteSox5187
09-21-2007, 10:26 PM
Co-sign. One of my favorite uniforms of all time.
That is probably my least favorite Sox uni...it never made sense to me, we're the White Sox....WHITE Sox, and why were we wearing red? I don't mind Veeck's softball unis and I LOVE the '83 ones...not so big on the pig tail C ones...the ones they wear now are great...probably the best since the Go-Go unis (though I still prefer those) the go-gos...

Hendu
09-21-2007, 10:55 PM

Yup. IMO, our road uniform is the best uniform in sports, period. Absolutely perfect.

tacosalbarojas
09-21-2007, 11:36 PM
Yup. IMO, our road uniform is the best uniform in sports, period. Absolutely perfect.It is hard to go wrong with Olde English lettering with the black tops. I hope those tops stay a part of the outfit forever.

MILTMAY5
09-22-2007, 12:14 AM
100% agreed.Except for a few minor tweaks the White Sox have worn these uni's for 17 consecutive seasons. Let's hope they never get the urge to change!!

PaleHoseGeorge
09-22-2007, 10:32 AM

Well, they DID wear them several times in the 2005 postseason when they won the whole damned thing for the first time since the Wilson Administration. That's plenty enough history for me.
:cool:

Vests only work well with high-contrast color schemes and the White Sox have the ultimate high-contrast colors to work with: black and white.

Count me one Sox Fan sorry to see them go.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-22-2007, 10:37 AM
While they're at it, they should dump the black alternates. Which, BTW, seem to be worn more than their actual road uniform. They're alternates, and they wear them constantly. I could probably count the number of times they wore their road unis this year on two hands.

Ditch the black shirts? I'm all for it... especially if they've decided to ditch the vests, too.

Those black jerseys are meant for a softball team. They get worn both home and on the road, easily the most-frequently used shirt the Sox wear... and they have the nerve to call them alternates?
:o:

Those shirts are like the plague. Only one way to solve the problem: eliminate the shirt from the face of the Earth.

Red Barchetta
09-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Ditch the black shirts? I'm all for it... especially if they've decided to ditch the vests, too.

Those black jerseys are meant for a softball team. They get worn both home and on the road, easily the most-frequently used shirt the Sox wear... and they have the nerve to call them alternates?
:o:

Those shirts are like the plague. Only one way to solve the problem: eliminate the shirt from the face of the Earth.

I like the Black Jersey, however I agree they wear it too much. I remember a few years ago, they wore it to break streaks. Meaning, if they wore the home pinstripe shirt and then lost, they would switch to the black jersey to start another streak. Same on the road.

Funny, because didn't the SOX start the whole "alternate jersey" fad with their black jersey back in the early 90s? I know the A's, Pirates and Orioles had mutliple uniforms back in the 70s and 80s, however I thought the trend stopped for awhile only to be ressurected by our own White Sox.

If I remember correctly, the Pirates had something like 9 different uniform combinations.

Lip Man 1
09-22-2007, 12:45 PM
The black jersey was originally just supposed to be used on Sunday games which is why the nickname was the 'Black Sunday' jersey.

That changed when the Sox decided to let the starting pitcher decide what jerseys the team would wear when they pitched.

I don't know if that is still 'unofficial' policy or not.

Lip

tick53
09-23-2007, 11:09 AM
That Sucks! I like the sleeveless. As far as I'm concerned, they're dumping the wrong ones. Get rid of the black uniforms. They are warmup jerseys and they use them way too much. They look especially bad on the road with the grey pants and when the players pull their socks up, they really look like crap. I never say anything good about the Cubs, but the did drop those hideous royal blue top entirely. While I'm at it, I wish the Bears would return to wearing white shoes. Black shoes on football players may them look slow and clod-like.

tick

hi im skot
09-23-2007, 11:46 AM
That Sucks! I like the sleeveless. As far as I'm concerned, they're dumping the wrong ones. Get rid of the black uniforms. They are warmup jerseys and they use them way too much. They look especially bad on the road with the grey pants and when the players pull their socks up, they really look like crap. I never say anything good about the Cubs, but the did drop those hideous royal blue top entirely. While I'm at it, I wish the Bears would return to wearing white shoes. Black shoes on football players may them look slow and clod-like.

tick

High socks = the correct way to wear a baseball uniform.

tick53
09-23-2007, 11:53 AM
High socks = the correct way to wear a baseball uniform.

I agree if they are wearing stirrups.

oeo
09-23-2007, 12:06 PM
That Sucks! I like the sleeveless. As far as I'm concerned, they're dumping the wrong ones. Get rid of the black uniforms. They are warmup jerseys and they use them way too much. They look especially bad on the road with the grey pants and when the players pull their socks up, they really look like crap.

I think the worst thing about the black shirts is the lettering on the back. The silver outline and the white print does not work. Any closed letter just looks like a block from far away.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-23-2007, 12:06 PM

Not to disagree with anyone, but to state the bleeding obvious, this discussion perfectly highlights the plain fact that there is absolutely NOTHING UNIFORM about the way ballplayers wear their socks in Major League Baseball. It stands the notion of a "uniform" on its head.

Until the early 60's everyone wore white sanitaries under standard-issued colored stirrups. Then Frank Robinson (a superstar who could get away with this) started cutting holes in his stirrups so that more of the white sanitary sock was visible. Others followed and we've been off to the races ever since with everyone making a statement about their individuality.

High socks, low socks... and every length in between.
Sanitaries showing, sanitaries hidden... and every length in between.
Real stirrups, fake stirrups... or no stirrups at all.
White sanitaries, colored sanitaries... or no sanitaries at all.It really has become a bit of a joke and 100% percent of it can be blamed on MLB for never policing this matter the past 50 years. Dopes...

:mad:

tick53
09-23-2007, 12:16 PM
I think the worst thing about the black shirts is the lettering on the back. The silver outline and the white print does not work. Any closed letter just looks like a block from far away.

Amen to that. It's like the Bulls red jerseys w/ the black lettering. You simply can't read their names.

hi im skot
09-23-2007, 03:36 PM

If stirrups made a league-wide comeback, I'd be thrilled. :cool:

Brian26
09-23-2007, 06:59 PM
Funny, because didn't the SOX start the whole "alternate jersey" fad with their black jersey back in the early 90s? I know the A's, Pirates and Orioles had mutliple uniforms back in the 70s and 80s, however I thought the trend stopped for awhile only to be ressurected by our own White Sox.

The Sox definitely brought it back in 1991. Prior to that, most teams had gone back to only two uniforms throughout the 80s. You're correct though- the Pirates had several combinations, and the Orioles would pull out an orange jersey occassionally.

The Sox '91 jersey actually looked more like a batting practice jersey than anything. I don't think it had the stripes around the sleeves and didn't have the diamond sock yet either.

bigfoot
09-23-2007, 07:09 PM
The Sox definitely brought it back in 1991. Prior to that, most teams had gone back to only two uniforms throughout the 80s. You're correct though- the Pirates had several combinations, and the Orioles would pull out an orange jersey occassionally.

The Sox '91 jersey actually looked more like a batting practice jersey than anything. I don't think it had the stripes around the sleeves and didn't have the diamond sock yet either.

Earl Weaver would punish his teams, if he thought they were not giving him 100%, by making them wear the orange pants and jerseys. The players HATED the look!!