PDA

View Full Version : TV ratings up for 21 MLB clubs

itsnotrequired
09-20-2007, 08:29 AM
ESPN, which had seen a 24 percent increase in viewership for all its MLB coverage in late May, now stands 15 percent ahead of last year for its flagship “Sunday Night Baseball” telecasts and is flat for its nonexclusive Monday night games.

The ratings story at the local and regional level is perhaps even more striking than the national Fox and ESPN numbers. Of the 29 domestic clubs, 21 have seen their local ratings increase, one (the Angels) has held flat, and seven have decreased. Toronto, aired on a mix of three networks, is also down on primary carrier Rogers Sportsnet.

Double-digit percentage increases have been recorded in 16 markets. Most notably, the Brewers’ pursuit of their first playoff berth in 25 years has mushroomed their cable ratings on FSN North 131 percent, from an average of 3.2 last year to 7.4.

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=article.main&articleId=56353

Fenway
09-20-2007, 09:11 AM
Among all teams, the Red Sox had posted the highest rating, averaging a 12.1 on NESN, their owned and operated network. FSN North’s Brewers telecasts were averaging a 7.4, more than double last year’s mark and making for the biggest jump in the league. The White Sox games on Comcast SportsNet Chicago had seen the steepest drop, falling 56 percent to a 1.4 average.
Arizona DiamondbacksFSN Arizona (68)4.7 (+15%)

Atlanta BravesFSN South (21)3.2 (-30%)

Atlanta BravesSportSouth* (48)3.6 (-20%)

Baltimore OriolesMASN (143)3.3 (+18%)**

Boston Red SoxNESN (130)12.1 (+5%)

Chicago CubsCSN-Chicago (60)4.0 (+30%)

Chicago White SoxCSN-Chicago (86)1.4 (-56%)

Cincinnati RedsFSN Ohio (126)5.1 (-7%)

Cleveland IndiansSportsTime Ohio (113)5.8 (+45%)

Colorado RockiesFSN Rocky Mountain (108)3.3 (+10%)

Detroit TigersFSN Detroit (105)7.5 (+10%)

Florida MarlinsFSN Florida (95)3.2 (+19%)

Florida MarlinsSun Sports*** (35)3.1 (+8%)

Houston AstrosFSN Southwest (114)4.2 (+14%)

Kansas City RoyalsRSTN (100)NA^

Los Angeles AngelsFSN West (88)1.7 (0%)

Los Angeles DodgersFSN Prime Ticket (87)2.0 (+23%)

Milwaukee BrewersFSN North (100)7.4 (+133%)

Minneapolis TwinsFSN North (91)7.3 (+19%)

New York MetsSNY (104)3.1 (+7%)

New York YankeesYES (108)4.5 (+7%)

Oakland AthleticsFSN Bay Area (66)1.9 (+20%)

Philadelphia Phillies CSN (86)5.3 (+16%)

Pittsburgh PiratesFSN Pittsburgh (108)3.4 (-17%)

San Diego PadresCox 4 San Diego (121)7.1 (+17%)

San Francisco GiantsFSN Bay Area (89)3.0 (+2%)

Seattle MarinersFSN Northwest (94)8.9 (+44%)

St. Louis CardinalsFSN Midwest (111)7.5 (-12%)

Tampa Bay Devil RaysFSN Florida (66)1.8 (+1%)

Texas RangersFSN Southwest (70)1.4 (-23%)

Toronto Blue JaysRogers Sportsnet (103)NA

Washington NationalsMASN (143)0.8 (+60%)

The Nationals ratings are really awful

kba
09-20-2007, 10:52 AM
That 12.1 rating for the Red Sox games is obscene. NESN must be drawing a bigger audience in Boston than ABC, NBC, or CBS on a lot of summer nights.

MASN is still having trouble getting some cable operators to air it on the basic tier. (Time Warner has stuck it on the digital tier in a lot of markets.) Though the Nats ratings are still running way below the Orioles, who are also on MASN.

I'm surprised the Dodgers and Angels aren't a bigger draw in LA. (A 1.7 for a first place team??)

Fenway
09-20-2007, 10:57 AM
That 12.1 rating for the Red Sox games is obscene. NESN must be drawing a bigger audience in Boston than ABC, NBC, or CBS on a lot of summer nights.

MASN is still having trouble getting some cable operators to air it on the basic tier. (Time Warner has stuck it on the digital tier in a lot of markets.) Though the Nats ratings are still running way below the Orioles, who are also on MASN.

I'm surprised the Dodgers and Angels aren't a bigger draw in LA. (A 1.7 for a first place team??)

NESN won prime time 90% of the time in June, July and August. NESN is now worth more than the club itself.

It shows at a glance what the good baseball towns are and how important winning is. Just look at Seattle.

Hitmen77
09-20-2007, 11:26 AM
The big drop by the White Sox is really no surprise. You have to admit that they have been pretty unwatchable for most of the season. I don't think that all points to bandwagon fans. You have to count the "disgusted fan" factor too.

I really don't expect even life long Sox fans to stayed glued to the TV night after night to watch the crap they have been showing us this season. Gonzalez and Cintron giving the other team another 3 unearned runs or Ryan Pukevich, MacDougal, etc. turning Sox leads into embarrassing losses simply is not a ratings draw.

Fenway
09-20-2007, 11:31 AM
The big drop by the White Sox is really no surprise. You have to admit that they have been pretty unwatchable for most of the season. I don't think that all points to bandwagon fans. You have to count the "disgusted fan" factor too.

I really don't expect even life long Sox fans to stayed glued to the TV night after night to watch the crap they have been showing us this season. Gonzalez and Cintron giving the other team another 3 unearned runs or Ryan Pukevich, MacDougal, etc. turning Sox leads into embarrassing losses simply is not a ratings draw.

Notice the Cubs are up by big numbers...so that indicates fence sitters

kjhanson
09-20-2007, 11:34 AM
Don't read these ratings like you would normal TV ratings; there is no carry-over. One share point does not equal a certain number of households. The Twins do a 7.3, and the Cubs a 4.0. Don't assume that nearly twice as many people watch the Twins' game than the Cubs' game.

As an aside, one rating point on network television equals 1.1 million households.

Fenway
09-20-2007, 11:40 AM
Don't read these ratings like you would normal TV ratings; there is no carry-over. One share point does not equal a certain number of households. The Twins do a 7.3, and the Cubs a 4.0. Don't assume that nearly twice as many people watch the Twins' game than the Cubs' game.

As an aside, one rating point on network television equals 1.1 million households.

In Chicago one local ratings point is worth 34550 households

Boston it is 23,535 households

New York 73,000 households

kjhanson
09-20-2007, 11:44 AM
In Chicago one local ratings point is worth 34550 households

Boston it is 23,535 households

New York 73,000 households

Perfect. This is what I was trying to point out. There is no consistency across markets in terms ratings points equivalency.

Fenway
09-20-2007, 11:48 AM
Perfect. This is what I was trying to point out. There is no consistency across markets in terms ratings points equivalency.

With Boston one has to ad the 630,000 TV homes in Providence ( 1 point 6300 )

The numbers do show interest in a team however.

downstairs
09-20-2007, 01:31 PM

Yeah there is, you need to look at the percentages. The other number is silly.

White Sox, on average, have 1.4% of viewers. You can compare that apples-to-apples to any other team... because percentages do just that.

3.4% of New Yorkers watch the Yankees.

Especially since any baseball on TV is competing with the same national shows everyone sees.

chaerulez
09-20-2007, 01:45 PM

Yeah I think there is little bandwagon factor here. It's just hard to justify to spend three hours on an almost daily basis to watch this team. I'll catch a game now and then if I don't have anything better to do.

Fenway
09-20-2007, 02:02 PM
Yeah there is, you need to look at the percentages. The other number is silly.

White Sox, on average, have 1.4% of viewers. You can compare that apples-to-apples to any other team... because percentages do just that.

3.4% of New Yorkers watch the Yankees.

Especially since any baseball on TV is competing with the same national shows everyone sees.

Plus most fans do not watch every game and in many markets more people are listening on radio than watching TV.

chisoxfanatic
09-20-2007, 07:52 PM
Is this strictly the team's home market, or are these ratings nation-wide ratings? If it's the later, then the Red Sox have an unfair advantage over EVERY other MLB team, as Extra Innings shows a MUCH higher percentage of NESN broadcasts than any other team's broadcasts. It's more evenly split with the other teams; but, it seems as if Extra Innings picks up the Red Sox feed 5 or 6 times a week. I don't notice this when it comes to any other team.

Fenway
09-20-2007, 08:02 PM
Is this strictly the team's home market, or are these ratings nation-wide ratings? If it's the later, then the Red Sox have an unfair advantage over EVERY other MLB team, as Extra Innings shows a MUCH higher percentage of NESN broadcasts than any other team's broadcasts. It's more evenly split with the other teams; but, it seems as if Extra Innings picks up the Red Sox feed 5 or 6 times a week. I don't notice this when it comes to any other team.

These numbers are the home market only. EI is done out of Stamford CT and they can get NESN, YES and SNY in uncompressed HD so those 3 show up more.