PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Aba-Contreras! 9-19 Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
09-19-2007, 09:31 PM
Nicely pitched game to up his trade value.

Grzegorz
09-19-2007, 09:32 PM
Nicely pitched game to up his trade value.

I agree that should Jose post good numbers down the stretch he must be moved.

oeo
09-19-2007, 09:34 PM
Like Bill Melton just said...the Mets are really wishing they made a deal for Jose right about now.

Patrick134
09-19-2007, 09:34 PM

Well if his salary makes him untradable, it's good to see him pitch well anyway.

Grzegorz
09-19-2007, 09:36 PM
I do not want to see Jose in the rotation next year because I do not believe he's reliable.

Deal him if you can; eat some of the salary if you must.

DumpJerry
09-19-2007, 09:46 PM
Ozzie shoulda thrown Jose in the Bullpen after Opening Day. He's been lights out since coming back to the rotation.

DickAllen72
09-19-2007, 09:47 PM
Jose is a stud.

champagne030
09-19-2007, 09:49 PM

Who are we going to sign to be our #4?

kevingrt
09-19-2007, 09:50 PM
Where has Mr. I am on a 4-0 streak right now been all summer? Just makes things harder to figure out for KW and Ozzie next year.

TDog
09-19-2007, 09:51 PM
Like Bill Melton just said...the Mets are really wishing they made a deal for Jose right about now.

Bill Melton knows baseball. I don't listen to him because I don't have access to Sox games, but he may have pointed out that Contreras has excelled late in he season and in the postseason.

Some of the best postseason pitchers are average at best in the regular season. Contreras is a better pitcher than a lot of people around here believe. Of course, his value to a last- or near-last-place team is not in line with what the White Sox are paying him.

Hitmen77
09-19-2007, 10:01 PM
Who are we going to sign to be our #4?

We're not going to sign anybody - Floyd or Gio Gonzalez or another rookie will be in our rotation next year. Whether you think that's a good idea or not, I think there is a very good probability that the Sox will deal either Contreras or Garland during the offseason.

Great game by Contreras, Thome, and Fields tonight.

Juan Uribe continues his late season salary drive.

kevin57
09-19-2007, 10:03 PM
Trade him...we can't afford to pick up his Medicare Part B

veeter
09-19-2007, 10:20 PM
What's amazing to me is that he's finally stopped throwing side arm every other pitch. And wa la, effective pitching again. Why does it take all ****ing year to make the guy change? When he drops down, the hitter automatically knows a fork ball will not be coming. The fork is his best pitch. Now that he's over the top 80% again, he's good. I blame Ozzie and Cooper for doing nothing with this guy all year long. Nice job guys.

JB98
09-19-2007, 10:27 PM
Scary fact of the night: Contreras is now second on this ballclub in wins.

Proof positive the bullpen has really screwed Buehrle and Garland over this year, especially Buehrle.

champagne030
09-19-2007, 10:28 PM
We're not going to sign anybody - Floyd or Gio Gonzalez or another rookie will be in our rotation next year. Whether you think that's a good idea or not, I think there is a very good probability that the Sox will deal either Contreras or Garland during the offseason.

Great game by Contreras, Thome, and Fields tonight.

I agree that's what's going to happen. And we'll be in 4th place again next season if we don't sign someone better than Danks, Gio or Floyd. We will not make the playoffs with two of those starters as our #4 and #5. We could if those three combined to fill the #5 spot and we filled our 2B, SS, CF holes with two proven players from outside the organization.

DumpJerry
09-19-2007, 10:31 PM
Scary fact of the night: Contreras is now second on this ballclub in wins.

Proof positive the bullpen has really screwed Buehrle and Garland over this year, especially Buehrle.
Let's not forget about the fantastic and consistent run support they got.

DickAllen72
09-19-2007, 10:38 PM
What's amazing to me is that he's finally stopped throwing side arm every other pitch. And wa la, effective pitching again. Why does it take all ****ing year to make the guy change? When he drops down, the hitter automatically knows a fork ball will not be coming. The fork is his best pitch. Now that he's over the top 80% again, he's good. I blame Ozzie and Cooper for doing nothing with this guy all year long. Nice job guys.
Yep.

TDog
09-19-2007, 10:40 PM

Even if it were a question of voila, don't throw sidearm every other pitch, you don't know that it's not a change Guillen and Cooper have been working with Contreras to make all year. You also don't know if such as change will only effect a temporary improvement in Contreras' game. There have been great pitchers, Cuban Luis Tiant for one, who were difficult to hit because hitters couldn't pick up the ball because they threw with varying arm motions. It is possible that hitters expecting different arm angles aren't used to Contreras throwing over the top.

but you can blame Guillen and Cooper if you want to. You could blame Walker while you're at it.

ilsox7
09-19-2007, 10:57 PM
I have a feeling the big risk KW is going to take this winter is keeping Jose and trading JG, hoping/assuming/praying/predicting he would get similar performances from both of them. But with JG's trade value higher, help to fill another hole or two.

IlliniSox4Life
09-19-2007, 11:13 PM
Didn't Contreras already clear waivers? Wouldn't it still be possible to trade him this year, or would he have to have been on a team before a certain date to be eligible for the post season?

oeo
09-19-2007, 11:27 PM
Didn't Contreras already clear waivers? Wouldn't it still be possible to trade him this year, or would he have to have been on a team before a certain date to be eligible for the post season?

He would have had to be traded before September 1st to be eligible for a postseason roster. He could still be traded, but no team is going to trade for two starts.

oeo
09-19-2007, 11:29 PM
I have a feeling the big risk KW is going to take this winter is keeping Jose and trading JG, hoping/assuming/praying/predicting he would get similar performances from both of them. But with JG's trade value higher, help to fill another hole or two.

The two aren't really comparable. Contreras is under contract for a couple more years...Garland is only under contract for next year. I think Garland will be traded, and it will be the right move...get the value for him while you can, he's not going to be worth the money he'll be commanding. I also think Contreras will be traded, if the price is right, as well. :dunno:

ilsox7
09-19-2007, 11:31 PM
The two aren't really comparable. Contreras is under contract for a couple more years...Garland is only under contract for next year. I think Garland will be traded, and it will be the right move...get the value for him while you can, he's not going to be worth the money he'll be commanding. I also think Contreras will be traded, if the price is right, as well. :dunno:

They're comparable in the sense that KW may think they both can fill the #3 spot in the rotation, therefore possibly making one expendable. If KW has that mindset, I think he will trade JG b/c he will bring more in return.

It's Time
09-20-2007, 12:11 AM
Hey, if KW feels he can get top value for Garland, he's gone. No need to hang on to him knowing he is going to walk anyway. Furthermore, I have had it with his attitude.

Out of last place!:smile:

Dont Stop Belivn
09-20-2007, 12:16 AM
It's all me. I was at the first win of this streak and I said that he is gonna start a tear. So, give a little love to me.:D:

JGarlandrules20
09-20-2007, 12:45 AM
Way to go Jose! I can't believe he's up to 10 wins on the season given the way he was throwing earlier...

Grzegorz
09-20-2007, 04:50 AM
Whether you think that's a good idea or not, I think there is a very good probability that the Sox will deal either Contreras or Garland during the offseason.

If the Chicago White Sox move Garland they'd better get a king's ransom for him.

I don't get it, how is it logical that the Chicago White Sox hang on to a marginal pitcher who cannot be counted on for consistency and quality innings because he's owed money but trade a guy who's far more consistent and can be counted on for quality innings?

If I am the Chicago White Sox I deal JC, eat part of the contract and try to sign Garland as long as his term and price are reasonable.

I've seen this play before; this guy is not fooling anyone. Come next season it will be the same old tired show: overweight, strikeouts, failure to sacrifice, lethargic defense.

Too bad, the guy does have talent but that talent is not married to discipline.

Unfortunately I get the feeling that Uribe will be returning in 2008.

wassagstdu
09-20-2007, 06:31 AM
Don't you think he probably had some shoulder problem that made him favor dropping down?

wassagstdu
09-20-2007, 06:41 AM
I've seen this play before; this guy is not fooling anyone. Come next season it will be the same old tired show: overweight, strikeouts, failure to sacrifice, lethargic defense.

Too bad, the guy does have talent but that talent is not married to discipline.

Unfortunately I get the feeling that Uribe will be returning in 2008.

I don't buy the "lethargic defense" part. "Undisciplined" sounds a bit like a stereotype to me. Fortunately, I get the feeling you are right about Uribe's returning in 2008.

GoSox2K3
09-20-2007, 08:08 AM
Hey, if KW feels he can get top value for Garland, he's gone. No need to hang on to him knowing he is going to walk anyway. Furthermore, I have had it with his attitude.

:?:

What attitude?

And I'm well aware of the thread on this site where some Sox fans were twisting Jon's quotes from the other day in an attempt to make him look bad. We've seen this before - just search for posts here, bashing Garland to pieces for only being interesting in free agency, that were posted just days before he signed a contract extension after '05.

veeter
09-20-2007, 08:09 AM
Don't you think he probably had some shoulder problem that made him favor dropping down?Well, if that's true he should have been shelved. I'm totally confused as to what's going on within the confines of the Sox clubhouse. And from the looks of their record, I think they're confused too.

GoSox2K3
09-20-2007, 08:12 AM
I don't buy the "lethargic defense" part. "Undisciplined" sounds a bit like a stereotype to me. Fortunately, I get the feeling you are right about Uribe's returning in 2008.

Why is it a stereotype? He is undisciplined.

October26
09-20-2007, 08:12 AM
It's all me. I was at the first win of this streak and I said that he is gonna start a tear. So, give a little love to me.:D:

Okay, I'm sending you some luv ... Now, can you please clear your calendar and make it so that you attend every game in 2008? If you have such karma power, then I want you at every Sox game next year!:tongue:

Kudos to Jose on pitching a complete game. Wish he could have done it when the games meant something, though ...

jabrch
09-20-2007, 08:57 AM
Nice to see Jose perform well. Let's seee what the market is for him. If we have to eat all his salary - there's no reason to move him. I don't see any reason why he can not perform well enough to be in the back of the rotation next year.

As far as Garland goes, he has a lot of trade value, but Kenny surely won't just give him away just for the sake of it.

Having Richar and Owens both hitting well lately is VERY exciting. Owens is .272/.337 since July 6th, and trending up. Richar is having a great September (.327/.362) and is showing tremendous skills in the field. For all the pissing and moaning about the state of the Sox, I don't think it is as bad as some want to paint it.

This should be a fun offseason...I'm excited to see how it plays out.

Luke
09-20-2007, 09:07 AM
Don't you think he probably had some shoulder problem that made him favor dropping down?

I was wondering the same thing. I don't think it was a pain issue though.
With his velocity down, he might have figured he needed to change angles to
keep hitters off balance.

He's going to need to change his workouts a little this off season. I know he has a reputation as a hard worker, but he may need to find an off season program thats less stressful on his body.

SBSoxFan
09-20-2007, 09:09 AM
Even if it were a question of voila,

Thank you!

don't throw sidearm every other pitch, you don't know that it's not a change Guillen and Cooper have been working with Contreras to make all year. You also don't know if such as change will only effect a temporary improvement in Contreras' game. There have been great pitchers, Cuban Luis Tiant for one, who were difficult to hit because hitters couldn't pick up the ball because they threw with varying arm motions. It is possible that hitters expecting different arm angles aren't used to Contreras throwing over the top.

but you can blame Guillen and Cooper if you want to. You could blame Walker while you're at it.

Weren't the different arm angles the key to his run from '05-'06? And isn't that what El Duque meant when he told Contreras to "pitch like a Cuban"?

jabrch
09-20-2007, 09:25 AM
And isn't that what El Duque meant when he told Contreras to "pitch like a Cuban"?

Based on what we saw most of this year, he has pitched "like a Cuban"...

Very smelly - like my Cohiba...

veeter
09-20-2007, 10:05 AM
voila, voila, voila, voila, voila, voila, voila, voila, voila, voila, voila, voila....there you happy?

tebman
09-20-2007, 10:13 AM
voila, voila, voila, voila, voila, voila, voila, voila, voila, voila, voila, voila....there you happy?

Yes -- it's really a lovely place.

http://www.ilocalflorist.com/WA/Images/local_florists_wallawalla.gif

:tongue:

Dont Stop Belivn
09-20-2007, 02:54 PM
Okay, I'm sending you some luv ... Now, can you please clear your calendar and make it so that you attend every game in 2008? If you have such karma power, then I want you at every Sox game next year!:tongue:

i'll see what i can do and get back to you on that one.