PDA

View Full Version : Garland

voodoochile
04-10-2002, 04:14 PM
Wondering what people think of him? Should he continue to start?

I think so and here is why...

In today's game, I thought he only made two major mistakes - both of the solo HR's. They were up and too far over the plate. They both got drilled. The two run shot was knee high and the guy just got his bat out and smoked it, but it was not a horrible pitch, IMO. Higgy's double was a seeing-eye 3 bouncer down the line. Two feet to the left and Konerko scoops it up and tags first for the end of the inning.

I liked what I saw after the second solo shot. He settled down and got the next 6 outs in order. Then the two run shot seemed to rattle him and he had to be pulled.

Still, I think he gets another start at least. He is a young kid who is going to struggle at times until he figures out how to get guys out consistently. It was promising to see him work up and down, in and out on the strike zone today, but he just couldn't seem to get over the top. I wish he had a consistent "out" pitch - maybe his sinker will become one if he ever manages to get it completely under control.

Nice to know that Parque is coming back which will give the Sox some options. I hope Rauch gets another appearance before then - so the Sox can better decide what to do.

RedPinStripes
04-10-2002, 04:18 PM
What scares me is that his fast ball doesn't seem to have much cut to it and his curve doesn't seem to be there. I hope he's not going to be a consistant second half pitcher like he was last year. It would be nice to have a good pitcher through the whole season. I'd say give him 1 more start though.

FarWestChicago
04-10-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Higgy's double was a seeing-eye 3 bouncer down the line. Two feet to the left and Konerko scoops it up and tags first for the end of the inning.:walnuts

:?: OLÉ!! What about my preparations for my post-baseball career as a matador? OLÉ!! :?:

dougs78
04-10-2002, 08:36 PM
I think he should still be starting. I only "watched" todays game on gamecast and what really concerns me were those two words that came up right after he faced each batter...

What are those two words???

"Ball 1"

My next least favorite.....

"Ball 2"

yeesh....come on JG...THROW STRIKES!!!

MattSharp
04-10-2002, 08:56 PM
See I disagree.

First of all he gave up THREE HRs, not two. Couple that with the 10 hits and 2 BBs in 4 1/3 innings. I consider him to be lucky, not good. You give up 10 hits, 2 BBs, and 3 HRs in 4 innings, you are the luckiest man in the world to only give up runs.

I love Garland, but tonight he showed me maybe hes not as good as I think.

foulkesfan11
04-10-2002, 09:07 PM
Garland is too inconsistent in my eyes. Last year I kept saying I'd give him one more chance to prove himself. You can only get so many chances.

kermittheefrog
04-10-2002, 09:25 PM
If there is anything encouraging about Garland's first two starts it's that he has thrown a lot more strikes. 65% of his pitches were thrown for strikes this year whereas last year he threw 59% of his pitches for strikes which left him among the worst AL starters. He's got good stuff, if he stays aggressive and keeps throwing strikes I think he'll come around.

AnthonyGiacalone
04-10-2002, 09:38 PM
Agree with Kermit on this one. He had pretty good control of his fastball today. The two homers that I saw (Higginson and Simon) were both jacked off of off-speed pitches that sat in the middle of the plate. Once again, Garland's problem was his control. Not the walks but his location within the strikezone.

The last Young and Simon ABs really ticked me off. Who was making those pitch choices? After each of them prove that they can't do anything with Garland's fastball. They ask him to throw the off-speed stuff. Very frustrating.

Anthony

Daver
04-10-2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by AnthonyGiacalone

The last Young and Simon ABs really ticked me off. Who was making those pitch choices? After each of them prove that they can't do anything with Garland's fastball. They ask him to throw the off-speed stuff. Very frustrating.

Anthony

Blame Sandy, Blame Sandy!!

Cheryl
04-10-2002, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by daver

Blame Sandy, Blame Sandy!!

Okay.

dougs78
04-10-2002, 09:54 PM
Here is a stat that jumps out and bugs me. Garland faced 25 batters and 12 of them reached base. Unless hes facing a lineup of Bonds and Giambi's you would hope it would alot less than that.

I did go back and look though and I guess he did throw more first pitch strikes than I thought. 8 first pitches were balls, 13 were strikes and the other 4 were hit. So i guess thats not too bad. The problem is that they got on base about half the time in either scenario. :(

RichieRichAllen
04-10-2002, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by dougs78
Here is a stat that jumps out and bugs me. Garland faced 25 batters and 12 of them reached base. Unless hes facing a lineup of Bonds and Giambi's you would hope it would alot less than that.

I did go back and look though and I guess he did throw more first pitch strikes than I thought. 8 first pitches were balls, 13 were strikes and the other 4 were hit. So i guess thats not too bad. The problem is that they got on base about half the time in either scenario. :(

I dunno. Seemed like a "quality" start to me . But then again, what the hell do....aw, never mind.

spaz
04-10-2002, 11:40 PM
sorry to say but that was a horrible start by garland. I mean were we watching the same game? The start is worse because Detroit is really a quad A club, in quality.

I mean did you see that lineup, they have higgleson leading off for christsakes and dean palmer(sore soulder and all) hitting clean up. This hitting lineup may be the worst collection of stiffs every put on a major league roster. Garland gave up 10 hits and five runs to these guys, which is unacceptable.

Yes garland did pitch strikes, however whatever he was pitching was not fooling the hitters. By looking at his last two starts the Royals, and Detriot you can see that he's either needs to stright out his command and stuff in the minors or the bullpen. I'd like to see either happen, but we'll probably, have to watch the hapless o's give him a pounding first.

ps If there is any team that has a chance of breaking the o's 0-22 mark it is this Detriot club!

RedPinStripes
04-10-2002, 11:45 PM
Ahhhhhhhh give em 1 more start and if it's anything like this, send him to the pen.

bjmarte
04-10-2002, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Ahhhhhhhh give em 1 more start and if it's anything like this, send him to the pen.
ditto

voodoochile
04-11-2002, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by bjmarte

ditto

See now that is the way I feel. The kid should get another start to see if he can start to turn it around. I also agree that I would love to see JG throw more fastballs. He has a decent one.

Guess we have time and options...

bjmarte
04-11-2002, 12:10 AM

See now that is the way I feel. The kid should get another start to see if he can start to turn it around. I also agree that I would love to see JG throw more fastballs. He has a decent one.

Guess we have time and options...

Even if he ends up in the pen for a while I don't think that should mean he stays there forever.

voodoochile
04-11-2002, 12:22 AM

Even if he ends up in the pen for a while I don't think that should mean he stays there forever.

No, but if the guys who replace him have good years, he may not see many more starts this season...

I guess it will come down to how soon Parque and Biddle are deemed ready and how well Rauch does in his starts...

spaz
04-11-2002, 12:24 AM
I still think garland has that kip "ness" about him you know pants craper and suchhttp://www.cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/Movies/9907/ 15/blairwitch/scared.jpg

and against the o's Garland could have problem's with there awesome lineup

:slowswing remember me!

then there is
http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/bal/photo/ph_play_mugshot_150020.jpg Hay I got to be good my dad played remember him?

and finally there is

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/spo/hs/mlb/sm/4362.gif
Remember me I still get a paycheck from the orioles, and I am still there sole power threat though i been retired for a while!

bjmarte
04-11-2002, 12:25 AM

No, but if the guys who replace him have good years, he may not see many more starts this season...

I guess it will come down to how soon Parque and Biddle are deemed ready and how well Rauch does in his starts...

If Parque takes his spot I have a feeling we'll be seeing Jon back in the rotation at some point during the year.

voodoochile
04-11-2002, 12:30 AM

If Parque takes his spot I have a feeling we'll be seeing Jon back in the rotation at some point during the year.

If Buehrle, Wright and Ritchie can keep pitching like they have been, I would expect Parque to be traded eventually. He really isn't needed as a 4th starter (either Rauch or Garland will step up, IMO) and Biddle is coming up too.

Then they have other kids who may be ready by next year - or even give Glover another shot at starting if he does well in the bullpen - Howry seems to be coming back into setup man form.

alohafri
04-11-2002, 01:07 PM
I still think that Garland and nearly the entire relief corps can trace their problems to two people...Manuel and Nardi. These guys aren't going to gain any confidence as long as Manuel keeps yanking them after facing one batter! Give up a hit or a walk and you are out of there? I don't think so. At this rate, our bullpen will be burned out by June...mentally, not physically. As far as Nardi goes, I don't think he knows what he is doing. Fire him and his windbreaker.

:firenardi

doctor30th
04-11-2002, 01:19 PM
What are you talking about. The only time they yank a pitcher after one batter if it is a match up like lefty on lefty.

I hardly think Nardi and Manuel have that much influence. The are not pitching good right now, Nardi and Manuel aren't at a game control playing High Heat Baseball 2003 with them. The pitchers throw the pitches.

As for giving them confidence. Manuel is actual good at giving the pitcher confidence. If the pitcher has a bad outing, he get them out there in the next game so they can pitch again. If they don't do well again, he puts them otu there again. That shows alot of confidence in your pitchers. I'm sure that gives them alot of confidence.