PDA

View Full Version : Cuban sat in the bleachers on Monday.

It's Time
09-19-2007, 02:01 PM
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/sports.aol.com/fanhouse/media/2007/09/mark-cuban-sign-425.jpg

Unreal! Are you ****ing kidding me!!!!:rolleyes: This guy buys the Cubs and all hell will break loose in Chicago.

ilsox7
09-19-2007, 02:07 PM
It's basically already been said that MLB and Unclue Bud will not let him buy the Cubs.

oeo
09-19-2007, 02:08 PM
Unreal! Are you ****ing kidding me!!!!:rolleyes: This guy buys the Cubs and all hell will break loose in Chicago.

Fortunately, the owners won't let that happen.

kittle42
09-19-2007, 02:08 PM
It's basically already been said that MLB and Unclue Bud will not let him buy the Cubs.

For once, I'll side with Selig, only because Cuban would turn the Cubs into the Yankees West.

ilsox7
09-19-2007, 02:10 PM
For once, I'll side with Selig, only because Cuban would turn the Cubs into the Yankees West.

I am a Cuban fan, for the most part. But yea, I think this is where Selig's idiocy will make my life a little better, for once. Lord knows he owes me. :cool:

It's Time
09-19-2007, 02:11 PM
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/sports.aol.com/fanhouse/media/2007/09/mark-cuban-beer-425.jpg
"Just think, guys. I buy the Cubs and we buy championships every year".

He is even wearing a Cubs jersey. He must feel he has a real chance to buy them. Unreal!

chisoxmike
09-19-2007, 02:12 PM
If you had the pleasure to see the Moron's "column" on Tuesday, you would see how sad the moron really is. He spent the entire game in the press box with binoculars watching Cuban and e-mailing him during the game.

:rolleyes:

chisoxmike
09-19-2007, 02:14 PM
Where are you getting these pictures from. Some Cub-frat boy that took photos of Cuban in the bleachers?

Chad: Duuuuuude, thats Mark Cuban. He's going to buy the Cubs after we win the World Series this year.

Chad 2: Duuuuuude, buy him a $8 Bud Lite!!!!
*Mark DeRosa hits the game winning hit*

Chad: CUUUUBAAAANNN!!!! BUY THE CUBBIES!!!!!!!

Chad 2: I love you Mark!!!

*Cubs celebrate on the field*

Chad: Duuuuude, Mark Cuban, how ****ing sweet is that!

It's Time
09-19-2007, 02:16 PM
Where are you getting these pictures from. Some Cub-frat boy that took photos of Cuban in the bleachers?

Chad: Duuuuuude, thats Mark Cuban. He's going to buy the Cubs after we win the World Series this year.

Chad 2: Duuuuuude, buy him a $8 Bud Lite!!!!
*Mark DeRosa hits the game winning hit*

Chad: CUUUUBAAAANNN!!!! BUY THE CUBBIES!!!!!!!

Chad 2: I love you Mark!!!

*Cubs celebrate on the field*

Chad: Duuuuude, Mark Cuban, how ****ing sweet is that!

HA HA! Sent to me via email at work. I thought it was a hoax.

UserNameBlank
09-19-2007, 02:17 PM
I really am starting to hate this guy.

First he brings the Mavs out of the ashes. Good for him, nice move, but don't care either way. But then you have to see his ugly-ass mug in every single Mavs playoff game. Whatever, he owns it, but please go away.

Then there were rumors about buying the Cubs. Nothing looked serious, so again, whatever.

Then he tries to get involved in MMA and now he threatens to **** things up further for MMA fans who want to see a Fedor vs. Couture HW title unification match. Damn you, you greedy bastard. You have some computer ****, then you have basketball, what the **** do you need MMA for?

And now he really wants to buy the worst, most despicable franchise in the history of professional sports. The Cub love would become unbearable. You know Mark, I see you are obviously in some sort of midlife crisis sports-Jesus mode, but please, **** off. Go away. Go spend your money on something else not related to sports.

chisoxmike
09-19-2007, 02:19 PM
HA HA! Sent to me via email at work. I thought it was a hoax.

Send you what? The Moron's column? The pics? You are the one who has them. :D:

ilsox7
09-19-2007, 02:21 PM
Cuban is an astute businessman. He knows that his chances are buying the team are slim. However, he also knows his best chance lies with getting the masses to loudly support his bid in the hopes that MLB has no choice but to listen. Is it likely he is successful? No. But he is doing everything to give himself the best chance.

It's Time
09-19-2007, 02:22 PM
Send you what? The Moron's column? The pics? You are the one who has them. :D:

The pics were sent to me. I really thought my pal was playing games and it was a hoax. I was thinking what the hell would he be doing in the bleachers at a Cubs game?

DumpJerry
09-19-2007, 02:26 PM
His chances are less than none. The only NBA owner who voted against his purchase of the Mavs was our own Uncle Jerry. Cuban has done nothing since then to endear himself with Jerry, so no worries here.

What was real silly was that Comcast was ordered to not show him during the telecast or mention the fact that he was there. Whatever.

Lip Man 1
09-19-2007, 02:31 PM
I'd be very surprised if MLB let him in. Mark is simply not the type of person that Proud To Be Your Bud will deal with.

From what I've read the favorite to get the Cubs is a conservative businessman who (surprise) is an associate of Selig's.

Lip

Fenway
09-19-2007, 02:35 PM
I'd be very surprised if MLB let him in. Mark is simply not the type of person that Proud To Be Your Bud will deal with.

From what I've read the favorite to get the Cubs is a conservative businessman who (surprise) is an associate of Selig's.

Lip

But doesn't the Tribune HAVE to accept the highest bidder? What if Cuban bids $200 million more than anyone else?

Bud rigged the Red Sox sale to keep Dolan out so

Nellie_Fox
09-19-2007, 02:37 PM
But doesn't the Tribune HAVE to accept the highest bidder? What if Cuban bids $200 million more than anyone else?

Is the Tribune publicly traded? If so, then they have a fiduciary responsibility to their stockholders to maximize revenue. If not, they can do whatever the hell they want.

ilsox7
09-19-2007, 02:37 PM

No. Why would they? As a public corporation, they have to do what is in the best interests of their shareholders. If the options are:

1. Sell to a buyer offering $750MM; or

2. Not be able to sell b/c MLB won't approve a sale to a buyer offering $1B . . .

. . . then the option that maximizes value to their shareholders is to sell for $750MM.

DumpJerry
09-19-2007, 02:49 PM
Sure, the Trib Co. can accept any legit offer, however, they also are bound by the MLB Franchise Agreement which states that 75% of the owners must approve a sale. This gives the Trib D&O's coverage from shareholder suits in case Cuban is the top bidder but is denied.

I think.:rolleyes:

alohafri
09-19-2007, 03:02 PM
What was real silly was that Comcast was ordered to not show him during the telecast or mention the fact that he was there. Whatever.

I'm sure the local news stations more than made up for that!

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-19-2007, 03:18 PM
No. Why would they? As a public corporation, they have to do what is in the best interests of their shareholders. If the options are:

1. Sell to a buyer offering $750MM; or

2. Not be able to sell b/c MLB won't approve a sale to a buyer offering $1B . . .

. . . then the option that maximizes value to their shareholders is to sell for $750MM.

I heard Paul Sullivan on Nort' this morning, and his comment was along the lines of "The Tribune has to do what is in the best interest of the employee owned stockholders, which would include selling to the highest bidder." Nort' commented that MLB could block the sale, and Sullivan replied that would be unfair to the stockholders.

As a sports writer, wouldn't he know that MLB has the right to approve/deny a deal like this, regardless the financial stature he, um, er, I mean, the TRIBUNE stockholders would lose out on?

ilsox7
09-19-2007, 03:19 PM
I heard Paul Sullivan on Nort' this morning, and his comment was along the lines of "The Tribune has to do what is in the best interest of the employee owned stockholders, which would include selling to the highest bidder." Nort' commented that MLB could block the sale, and Sullivan replied that would be unfair to the stockholders.

As a sports writer, wouldn't he know that MLB has the right to approve/deny a deal like this, irregardless the financial stature he, um, er, I mean, the TRIBUNE stockholders would lose out on?

Your first mistake was turning on the radio. :D:

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-19-2007, 03:24 PM
Your first mistake was turning on the radio. :D:

It was only on that station cuz I was listening to the Sox game last night. My MP3 player was left at home on accident.

The 1st step towards healing is acknowledgment of the problem. :smile:

skobabe8
09-20-2007, 12:23 PM

Yeah what was the reasoning for this? I heard it to but didnt hear why.

TDog
09-20-2007, 01:36 PM
The best thing that could happen to Cubs fans is to have MLB owners refuse a bid from Mark Cuban to buy the team. It would provide the excuse for the teams continued ineptitude (only occasionally contending in years when the division title requires 80-some wins). With Mark Cuban as an owner, the team would be under pressure to win.

For many years before 2005, White Sox fans blamed their team's failures on the league rejecting Bill Veeck's first choice for the Reinsdorf group. A few still do.

Frankly, I would be all for Cuban buying the Cubs if he moved the team to Cuba -- or at least a minimum of 1,000 miles from Chicago.

The Immigrant
09-20-2007, 02:02 PM
Cuban is an astute businessman.

An astute businessman wouldn't be looking to buy a business that has already exhausted all potential sources of revenue, even to the point of scalping tickets to its own fans. He is doing this because he is a media whore and has more money than he could possibly spend in a lifetime, not because it is a good business move.

The Immigrant
09-20-2007, 02:05 PM
Is the Tribune publicly traded? If so, then they have a fiduciary responsibility to their stockholders to maximize revenue. If not, they can do whatever the hell they want.

The Tribune is publicly traded now but won't be once the Zell buyout is completed.

Either way, the Tribune's fiduciary duties to shareholders are obviously limited by and subject to MLB rules and regulations.

ilsox7
09-20-2007, 02:09 PM
An astute businessman wouldn't be looking to buy a business that has already exhausted all potential sources of revenue, even to the point of scalping tickets to its own fans. He is doing this because he is a media whore and has more money than he could possibly spend in a lifetime, not because it is a good business move.

I didn't necessarily mean that his purchase of the Cubs would be an astute business decision. Rather, his public "plea" for allowing him to buy the Cubs is an astute decision on his part. In general, Mark Cuban knows what he is doing when it comes to business. His sports franchise(s) are but a hobby for him.

DumpJerry
09-20-2007, 02:17 PM
Cuban is an astute businessman.
Owning a MLB franchise is not the winning proposition most people think it is. during the entire period the White Sox have been owned by Uncle Jerry and his consortium (1981-present), the owners have recieved a dividend only once-2005. Otherwise, they sit on their investment and wait for the team to be sold (which may not happen for over 10 years). Also, the owners have to pay for their own game tickets, they don't get them for free. I know this because I know lawyers who represent some of these people.

ilsox7
09-20-2007, 02:20 PM
Owning a MLB franchise is not the winning proposition most people think it is. during the entire period the White Sox have been owned by Uncle Jerry and his consortium (1981-present), the owners have recieved a dividend only once-2005. Otherwise, they sit on their investment and wait for the team to be sold (which may not happen for over 10 years). Also, the owners have to pay for their own game tickets, they don't get them for free. I know this because I know lawyers who represent some of these people.

I never said the actual owning of the franchise was an astute business decision. I said that he is an astute businessman who is using is skills to try to be a player in the bidding process. Taking his "candidacy" to the people is the only way he has any chance of being taken seriously by MLB. He knows how to market his products and himself. He is using that skill chasing the Cubs now.