PDA

View Full Version : Coaching News

Lip Man 1
09-19-2007, 12:22 PM
Ozzie (again) makes some interesting comments on the coaching staff:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070918soxbits,1,3342653.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

And here's Greg Walker's take:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/563453,CST-SPT-soxnt19.article

Lip

wassagstdu
09-19-2007, 01:11 PM
So the problem is that Walker spent all of his time with the young players like Fields (.238, >30% K rate) and Owens (.254) instead of with Konerko, Crede, AJ, Thome? Wow.

ode to veeck
09-19-2007, 01:44 PM
So the problem is that Walker spent all of his time with the young players like Fields (.238, >30% K rate) and Owens (.254) instead of with Konerko, Crede, AJ, Thome? Wow.

he really helped that guy Anderson too

UserNameBlank
09-19-2007, 02:41 PM
I just hope they hold on to Razor. I know they'll hold on to Coop. Other than those two I couldn't care less who they fire.

spiffie
09-19-2007, 03:10 PM
Walker has been flawless this year. He has yet to forget to bring ample supplies of beer and pretzels to the coaching staff's poker game.

my5thbench
09-21-2007, 12:22 PM
I love watching Razor

skottyj242
09-21-2007, 01:06 PM
I can sum up the demise of the 2007 Chicago White Sox in four words: No Man Soo Lee.

ondafarm
09-21-2007, 02:14 PM
I think a better poll would be how many coaches will be gone.

My guesses:

GM: KW remains
Manager: OG remains
1stBase: Baines gone
3rdbase: Shines remains
Bench Cora gone
Pitching: Cooper remains
Bullpen: Kusnyer remains
Hitting: Walker gone
BP Catch: Salas gone
Trainer: Schneider remains

That'd be four.

Cuck_The_Fubs
09-21-2007, 02:55 PM
Razor is the best. I love how he congratulates people who hit home runs. Love his personality, not to mention his new waistline!

Nellie_Fox
09-22-2007, 12:59 AM
Razor is the best. I love how he congratulates people who hit home runs. Because no other third base coaches have ever done that.

Brian26
09-22-2007, 01:13 AM
Because no other third base coaches have ever done that.

Ah, but you missed the poster's intent. He said, "I love how Razor congratulates people."

He didn't say he loves that Razor congratulates people. He's saying he loves Razor's special method of congratulating people. How many thirdbase coaches jump up and down and give the batter a balloon as he rounds third? Razor's one-of-a-kind.

:thumbsup:

Brian26
09-22-2007, 01:16 AM
My guesses:

Bench Cora gone

Based on his health problems right now, my guess is that Kusyner might be the most likely guy to not be with the team next year, and it will be a voluntary decision on his part.

FedEx227
09-22-2007, 01:17 AM
Bench Cora gone

Works for me.

Although I really don't care about Salas, but I wouldn't mind seeing Cora/Walker gone especially. Baines I don't really care, we don't have any guys worthy of stealing bases right now anyway outside of Owens.

But spiffle hit it right on the money, as long as the beer is cold and the pretzels are fresh Walker will keep his job despite having one of the worst hitting teams I've seen in recent memory.

Yes, players are suppose to hit, but guys don't have slumps like this. You could have 2-3 guys having huge slumps, but if the entire team looks like crap day-to-day there is a problem. No regular .300 hitters, and the White Sox record for strikeouts. That's unacceptable. He might not be the problem, but something has to get shaken up or we'll sleepwalk into another abysmal offensive season.

Domeshot17
09-22-2007, 04:05 AM
Works for me.

Although I really don't care about Salas, but I wouldn't mind seeing Cora/Walker gone especially. Baines I don't really care, we don't have any guys worthy of stealing bases right now anyway outside of Owens.

But spiffle hit it right on the money, as long as the beer is cold and the pretzels are fresh Walker will keep his job despite having one of the worst hitting teams I've seen in recent memory.

Yes, players are suppose to hit, but guys don't have slumps like this. You could have 2-3 guys having huge slumps, but if the entire team looks like crap day-to-day there is a problem. No regular .300 hitters, and the White Sox record for strikeouts. That's unacceptable. He might not be the problem, but something has to get shaken up or we'll sleepwalk into another abysmal offensive season.

I still stand by the fact that the problem isnt the hitting coach its the team. IT IS THE LACK OF TALENT!!!

You're hitting a 7 8 9 1 2 of Uribe Gonzalez Richar, and the only one with any chance to ever hit over .270 there is Richar, the other 2 are lucky to crack .250. Your leadoff man is Jerry Owens who is a rookie, isn't very offensively talented and doesn't know how to walk or get on base and your 2 hitter is a guy who should hit 4-7 because he has and always will be a high power high strike out guy, those guys don't hit 2. Thats 4 of 5 guys hitting infront of your boppers that are rookies. Out of those 4 you can argue 1 is a great talent 1 has a chance to be solid 1 decent and 1 isn't a ball player.

So now Thome is coming up 3rd, destroying righties but not hitting lefties. He isn't hitting with guys on. If he makes an out, Konerko is up 4th seeing nothing but breaking balls and sinkers because there is no point to feeding him a fastball. Dye is up 5 and if you take away an injury ridden first half off the books is killing the ball in the 2nd half. But then you have AJ who is a good hitter but on a deep lineup shouldnt hit above 7 6th, then you turn it over to just a talentless 7 and 8 and a rookie 9.

You tell me ANY, ANY hitting coach that wins with that. The best shot you have is to move Thome to 2 because of his OBP Dye to 3 and Fields to 5, because now you have some protection and a shot to have Thome Dye PK all up in 1 inning and Fields 5 to knock in runs in a spot strikeouts dont kill you because behind him again is nothing great.

While Im no Cora fan, he won't be gone. That is Ozzie's boy, he let Raines go to move Cora up. Im sure Ozzie would quit before firing Joey

FireMariotti
09-22-2007, 04:30 AM
Nice knowing ya Greg.

Just my prediction.

Also, I know the bullpen is awful, but can you really put all of the blame on the Caveman for it? He was given unproven **** to work with, and **** is the result.

Grzegorz
09-22-2007, 05:49 AM
To blame Walker for the averages of Richar, Uribe, and Owens is utterly ridiculous. First off there is a level of personal responsibility to be assumed by each player; they need to be disciplined and focused. Second, the mere notion that a good to great hitting coach can get the three players mentioned above to perform much better assumes that every one of those player has an innate ability to hit. No such notion could be farther from the truth.

I want to see KW provide the material for Ozzie so he can build his type of clubhouse; his type of players, coaches, his favorite drinks and foods in the clubhouse, preferred reading materials, etc...

I do not want him to have any excuses; I want to see the Chicago White Sox win another title.

dickallen15
09-22-2007, 08:30 AM
Didn't Reinsdorf recently say that if anyone thought Walker was the problem they don't have a brain? I think that pretty much means he won't be fired as Jerry believes he has a brain, and even thinks Kenny Williams has one.