PDA

View Full Version : Thumbs down to MLB.com

INSox56
09-19-2007, 09:10 AM
Evidently our hitting coach has changed his name, per whitesox.com:

"KANSAS CITY -- At first, White Sox hitting coach Gary Walker just wanted to watch Danny Richar."

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070918&content_id=2216141&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

voodoochile
09-19-2007, 09:17 AM
At least it's a nice article on Richar. I imagine it's just a typo that got missed by the editor. Don't the Sox have control over the content on their own site?

skottyj242
09-19-2007, 10:31 AM
Conor Nicholl[quote] is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.[quote]

BBaum21
09-19-2007, 10:42 AM
[quote=skottyj242;1683017][quote]Conor Nicholl is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

The kid is an intern. Pretty sloppy mistake.

itsnotrequired
09-19-2007, 10:44 AM
Is Merkin on vacation or something?

Myrtle72
09-19-2007, 10:46 AM
My text messages from mlb about the games scores have also been wacky lately.... and some aren't even accurate.

INSox56
09-19-2007, 10:50 AM
Not only the typo, but this kid/guy is horrible at structure. At the bottom he's talking about Floyd and he bounces around between talking about yesterday's game an his season's stats quite ineffectively. I had to re-read it a couple of times to understand what he's actually getting at. ....Makes me wanna apply for a job over at mlb.com.

Edit: At the bottom of the next article, not the same one.

BBaum21
09-19-2007, 10:56 AM
Is Merkin on vacation or something?

Each team has an intern that is an associate writer. Scott Merkin could very well be on vacation or something of that nature. Then, the Royals' associate writer would cover the Sox because their beat writer isn't there. Happens occasionally.

I went to college with a couple people who went through the internship program and now are beat writers for MLB.com. In fact, thanks to one of said friends, I'm going to be applying for one of those internships for next year.

itsnotrequired
09-19-2007, 11:01 AM
Each team has an intern that is an associate writer. Scott Merkin could very well be on vacation or something of that nature. Then, the Royals' associate writer would cover the Sox because their beat writer isn't there. Happens occasionally.

I went to college with a couple people who went through the internship program and now are beat writers for MLB.com. In fact, thanks to one of said friends, I'm going to be applying for one of those internships for next year.

Nicholl must be filling in for Merkin. I could understand the Royals intern publishing game recaps if no one was around but why would he write an article on Richar? It appears that the Roylas beat write is still writing.

eriqjaffe
09-19-2007, 11:03 AM
Finally, a new hitting coach!

BBaum21
09-19-2007, 11:08 AM
Nicholl must be filling in for Merkin. I could understand the Royals intern publishing game recaps if no one was around but why would he write an article on Richar? It appears that the Roylas beat write is still writing.

In this case, the Royals' beat writer has to cover the Royals because Merkin isn't there. If Merkin was there, the Royals' beat writer could let his intern cover the Royals and take a couple days off from covering the team. With Merkin's absence, Nicholl has to cover the Sox like Merkin usually would.

The interns do a lot of work and get some valuable experience. Hopefully, I'll be able to get that same valuable experience because I need it.

Cuck_The_Fubs
09-19-2007, 11:10 AM
Evidently our hitting coach has changed his name, per whitesox.com:

"KANSAS CITY -- At first, White Sox hitting coach Gary Walker just wanted to watch Danny Richar."

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070918&content_id=2216141&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws
Oh, c'mon. Anyone could make a little mistake like that. Nothing to have a cow over .

BBaum21
09-19-2007, 11:10 AM
Oh, c'mon. Anyone could make a little mistake like that. Nothing to have a cow over .

It's sloppy and no one will convince me otherwise.

oeo
09-19-2007, 11:52 AM

When you're a journalist and want any credibility, you should make sure there are not mistakes like that. I mean the whole article contains quotes from Walker...get his name right. He gets paid to write these articles, is it really that difficult to get a name right?

BBaum21
09-19-2007, 12:03 PM
When you're a journalist and want any credibility, you should make sure there are not mistakes like that. I mean the whole article contains quotes from Walker...get his name right. He gets paid to write these articles, is it really that difficult to get a name right?

Completely and wholeheartedly agree! As an aspiring journalist, accuracy is my pet peeve. I can't stand people not being accurate.

ondafarm
09-19-2007, 01:29 PM
Completely and wholeheartedly agree! As an aspiring journalist, accuracy is my pet peeve. I can't stand people not being accurate.

Spelling misteaks will get you canned!

voodoochile
09-19-2007, 01:44 PM
Spelling misteaks will get you canned!

Spelling mystics will get ewe canned, but only if they sacrifice it first...