PDA

View Full Version : Ed Farmer = Stephen Ambrose?

Procol Harum
04-10-2002, 02:00 PM
Just been listening to the Sox broadcast and Ed Farmer just told a hunting story about Billy Martin and Mickey Mantle. Problem is, it's the same bit --with different characters, of course--that appears on an album from the late '70s by the late country comedian Jerry Clower. Joke plagiarism is a terrible thing.

And, by the way, it's 3-1 Detroit, and we're fortunate it's not 6-1--the evidence is mounting that Garland blows...

duke of dorwood
04-10-2002, 02:01 PM
So did Farmer's story and how he told it

KingXerxes
04-10-2002, 02:14 PM
:farmer

"It's funny that you mention the thirteen run pool Rooney because I was just thinking about the time when I was traded back to Philadelphia..."

:rooney

"I didn't mention the thirteen run pool."

:farmer

"Speaking of Philadelphia, I'll never forget when my career had really hit the skids. I was working as an enforcer for a local loan shark....I guess my reputation as a real tough guy preceeded me into Philly...well anyway......The Yankees had just taken care of the Dodgers in the World Series when Yogi Berra - not Yogi Bear - but Yogi Berra the Yankees manager picked my name out of a book of has been relief pitchers to face his Yankees. My girlfirend Adrian - who I was just getting to know at the time..."

:rooney

ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

Procol Harum
04-10-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood So did Farmer's story and how he told it

Yeah, he'd better not give up the baseball gig for the comedy club circuit. Come to think of it, as a broadcaster...

yyz
04-10-2002, 04:15 PM
In Farmer's defense, I don't think he claimed he was there - he was just recounting a story he had heard. He probably didn't know it was somebody else's story (it's hard to call it a joke because it wasn't very funny).

Procol Harum
04-10-2002, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by yyz
In Farmer's defense, I don't think he claimed he was there - he was just recounting a story he had heard. He probably didn't know it was somebody else's story (it's hard to call it a joke because it wasn't very funny).

No, Ed didn't claim to have been there, but from the way he presented it ya kinda got the idea that he had been told by Martin or someone else close to him. Actually, the way Clower told it originally, the story was hilarious--but this was firm evidence that ol' Ed ought to give up on any thots of moonlighting on the comedy club circuit.