PDA

View Full Version : Walk

INSox56
09-18-2007, 09:32 AM
Now, I don't know which camp I'm in, either to fire or keep him. I don't know enough about hitting, nor do I know what he's doing with the hitters and his philosophies to make that decision. But I am somewhat miffed at a few views and statements that keep being made over and over. Every time there are comments or columns on his situation, the answer is something similar to what was in today's whitesox.com mailbag:

"The hitting coach needs to be held accountable if he was not working hard to prepare his players. But in the case of Walker and Mike Gellinger, whose title makes him sound like he does computer analysis but basically is the assistant hitting coach, they put in as much time and effort as anyone to have the team ready to perform."

I don't agree with this and I hope this isn't how KW and/or Ozzie are evaluating his performance with the players. How hard he works, how much effort he puts into it, how much sleep he loses...those all don't mean he's doing the right thing. His philosophies or methods may just be flawed and flat-out suck. You can try your hardest and work to your fullest to try to put a block into a round hole, but if it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. I just hope that they're looking at it this way and not "gee, he's trying hard and just no results....let's keep trying...." Thoughts?

SBSoxFan
09-18-2007, 10:28 AM
Jim Thome, for one, who does know a bit about hitting seems to value Walker's input. :dunno:

A. Cavatica
09-18-2007, 07:28 PM
I don't agree with this and I hope this isn't how KW and/or Ozzie are evaluating his performance with the players. How hard he works, how much effort he puts into it, how much sleep he loses...those all don't mean he's doing the right thing. His philosophies or methods may just be flawed and flat-out suck.

I agree. Commitment is very important, but commitment without results is pointless.

The Sox are big on loyalty and rewarding commitment, not so big on accountability.

As for Walk specifically, I don't think it's fair to single him out. I wouldn't mind seeing him go in a big housecleaning, but see previous paragraph.

Frontman
09-18-2007, 07:33 PM
Could be that the White Sox don't want to determine who will be the "scapegoat" based on fan feedback, but rather internal evaluation.

I don't blame Walker as much as I blame the strength/conditioning the players had this year. Ozuna's injury was a fluke, but some of these injuries are just plain silly.

hi im skot
09-18-2007, 08:03 PM
Ah yes...blame someone else.

If there's anyone to blame, it's the players.

I, like the rest of you, don't know what Walker's doing behind closed doors and in the dugout during the game, but the professional ballplayers on the field sure haven't helped anything this season.

When things go bad, there's always gotta be a scapegoat. :rolleyes:

UserNameBlank
09-18-2007, 09:03 PM
Could be that the White Sox don't want to determine who will be the "scapegoat" based on fan feedback, but rather internal evaluation.

I don't blame Walker as much as I blame the strength/conditioning the players had this year. Ozuna's injury was a fluke, but some of these injuries are just plain silly.
Which ones?

Pods re-aggravated an old injury training for ST. Then he got hurt again (what new) and then again. Erstad's bionic ankle proved to be not so bionic afterall. His injury issues were present last year. Thome's issues were also present last year. Crede elected not to have back surgery and again, that's been a big problem for him since at least 2005. Garland's "knot" has been a problem before. MacDougal has been on and off the DL since he came up.

I guess you could look at JD's hamstring as out of the ordinary, but he's getting up there in age. Ozuna's injury was a freak incident as was Toby Hall's injury, but that's it.

The strength/conditioning guys have been around for a while and are very, very good. They must be or Hermy wouldn't have them around. Maybe if guys like Buerhle, Danks, Owens, etc. were breaking down you could say something, but really we just have a bunch of injury prone players.

Grzegorz
09-18-2007, 09:31 PM
I don't blame Walker as much as I blame the strength/conditioning the players had this year.

Before I blame the strength/conditioning coach I want to know if the advice of the strength/conditioning coach being followed by the players.

soxinem1
09-18-2007, 09:34 PM
I agree. Commitment is very important, but commitment without results is pointless.

The Sox are big on loyalty and rewarding commitment, not so big on accountability.

As for Walk specifically, I don't think it's fair to single him out. I wouldn't mind seeing him go in a big housecleaning, but see previous paragraph.

I'm not to sure about that. Walt Hriniak, Bill Buckner, Von Joshua, Ron Jackson, and a few others may disagree with you. The White Sox hitting coach was a revolving position since Hriniak was fired.

True Walker might not be the best, but as he was not the total reason for the clutch run manufacturing of 2005 and the offensive explosion of the first four months of 2006, he is not the reason this team cannot hit. It's the players.

Domeshot17
09-18-2007, 09:53 PM
Lets open up our eyes, this is not walks fault, its Kennys if anyones.

WOULD ANY HITTING COACH HAVE ANY SUCCESS WITH A LINEUP THAT INCLUDES:

Fields in LF who has a ton of power but hovering as a .230 Russell Branyan type hitter (yes Rookie year, he will be a lot better then Branyan).

Andy Gonzalez who will never hit above .230

Uribe who doesnt listen to anyone and has no control at the plate, who is a perenial .240 hitter every year

Jerry Owens who doesnt have the power or discipline to hit above .260

Danny Richar who is young but getting destroyed by pro pitching until this last weekend

Of course not, well thats our 7-8-9-1-2 hitters. The only guys who spell them are Alex Cintron who is pitiful and Terrero who is just a busted spec, and Pods who should be playing everyday but fell into Ozzie's dog house because of injuries.

The problem isnt talent not being used right, its lack of talent. Its not Walks job to assemble talent. He has to make the best out of what Kenny and Ozzie give him. Ozzie runs out a crappy lineup everyday, and Kenny did nothing to give this team any depth in case of injuries. The minor league coaches appear to be doing ZERO as to actually getting kids ready to come up. The rest of the guys aren't doing much off their regular years. JD had a huge drop off from last year but anyone could see that coming, Thome has digressed with age and PK is suffering from the lack of hitting around him. All those guys are still having respectable seasons. Same could be said for AJ.

FarWestChicago
09-18-2007, 10:24 PM
Thome has digressed with age...Thome has deviated or wandered from the main topic or purpose in speaking or writing with age? :?:

HomeFish
09-18-2007, 10:32 PM
I thought this was going to be another OBP thread.

Anyway, the fault seems to lie with whatever is wrong with our farm system. We're not giving Walker players who can hit at the major league level.

Domeshot17
09-18-2007, 10:34 PM
Thome has deviated or wandered from the main topic or purpose in speaking or writing with age? :?:

good catch, I think REgressed is the word Im looking for. Doesn't change the fact Walk isn't to blame for having a bad team.

INSox56
09-18-2007, 10:49 PM
I thought this was going to be another OBP thread.

Anyway, the fault seems to lie with whatever is wrong with our farm system. We're not giving Walker players who can hit at the major league level.good point. I suppose with this year being so god awfully bad that it's easy to blame Walk, though he may not deserve it. I'm not sure if there's any other way to find out if he really wasn't doing things right than going with a different hitting coach with the same players. And that can be seen as just a silly proposition considering the aforementioned lack of talent in areas.

kitekrazy
09-18-2007, 11:05 PM
I do remember when the players were slumping the conclusion was let them ride it out. Well........it's September.

Oh I forgot, we luv homers and station to station baseball. Forget things like bunting and situational hitting.

Fire him.

Frontman
09-19-2007, 12:05 AM
Before I blame the strength/conditioning coach I want to know if the advice of the strength/conditioning coach being followed by the players.

Very good point. Hence, back to the blame on the players themselves. Even in the case of Walker, he could work all day with Juan Uribe for example, but if ol' #5 wants to keep on trying to go "profundo" all the talk and work in the world won't keep him from swinging for the fences.

kitekrazy
09-19-2007, 12:08 AM
Very good point. Hence, back to the blame on the players themselves. Even in the case of Walker, he could work all day with Juan Uribe for example, but if ol' #5 wants to keep on trying to go "profundo" all the talk and work in the world won't keep him from swinging for the fences.

I hope Uribe will not be on the team next year.