PDA

View Full Version : Dear God... (Final Home game)

chisoxmike
09-17-2007, 11:06 PM
Guess this is what you get when you are a last place team...

In addition, national recording artists Hanson are scheduled to perform a pregame acoustic set, the National Anthem and "God Bless America" during the seventh-inning stretch.Ha, whose idea was this? Imagine the meeting...

StillMissOzzie
09-17-2007, 11:20 PM
...and somewhere, BoysMom3 (?) is already salivating...

SMO

:tongue:

RadioheadRocks
09-17-2007, 11:23 PM
Mmmmmmmmmm Bop! :rolling:

HomeFish
09-17-2007, 11:39 PM
I bet the Sox are getting paid for this. Perhaps Hanson is even paying for our next backup infielder's salary.

spiffie
09-17-2007, 11:58 PM
They've actually become a decent jangly rock band in the last decade. They're not exactly Led Zeppelin or anything, but really they're no more or less embarrassing these days than any other musical act the Sox have brought in over the last few years.

DSpivack
09-18-2007, 12:13 AM
They've actually become a decent jangly rock band in the last decade. They're not exactly Led Zeppelin or anything, but really they're no more or less embarrassing these days than any other musical act the Sox have brought in over the last few years.

They came to Emory a couple years ago, and some folks at the radio station (I had a show, but thankfully not me) interviewed them. They were talking up how indie they were now and everything. They played in the student center and a lot of the female students were screaming, much like they probably were when they were 13 or whatever way back when Hanson was actually popular. The crowd was very dissapointed, as they only played their "new" stuff.

eriqjaffe
09-18-2007, 09:05 AM
Zac's only 21, how's his fastball?

BainesHOF
09-18-2007, 11:07 AM
Whoever is in charge of scheduling music acts to play at the Cell should be shot. There's a wealth of real talent around Chicago and every national act makes a stop in the city, yet all the Sox manage to present in most cases is the latest generic, coporate shlock. They could use these little showcases to generate a real buzz, but instead they present garbage.

The surprising exception was when Colin Hay appeared with his touring band earlier this season. Just the mention of his name and his association with Men at Work would make a lot of people automatically dismiss him, but he was actually really good, and his band actually sounded great in support. Even the sound quality in the park sounded good for a change.

Britt Burns
09-18-2007, 11:15 AM
I saw the Hanson brothers were playing the anthem and I got all excited for a second, thinking they meant the Hansen brothers from Slap Shot. Too bad...

salty99
09-18-2007, 11:18 AM
Who cares what bands they have or don't have? I am there to watch baseball.

eriqjaffe
09-18-2007, 11:46 AM
I'd rather see these (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hanson_Brothers) Hanson Brothers, myself.

eriqjaffe
09-18-2007, 11:47 AM
Also, it's a good bit of symmetry bookending the season with one-hit wonders like Hanson and Gustavo Molina.

HerzogVon
09-18-2007, 11:50 AM
Maybe they meant Ron Hansen? He can't be too busy these days.

Then again, with a .234 lifetime batting average, his Greatest Hits CD is likely a single...with one track.

NOTE: Having failed at trying to talk baseball here - ( you people are just too smart, and I'm an ignorant fool who picked the Sox to finish fourth this year, as well as the hated Cubs to win their division ) - I shall henceforth* confine myself to doing what I do best; being a smart-ass. :tongue:

* At least until the next time Kenny pisses me off!

skottyj242
09-18-2007, 11:51 AM
Who cares? I'll be in the parking lot watching football and won't go into the game until like the second inning if at all.

BainesHOF
09-18-2007, 12:00 PM
Also, it's a good bit of symmetry bookending the season with one-hit wonders like Hanson and Gustavo Molina.

Awesome.

southsidemomma
09-19-2007, 07:47 PM
Guess this is what you get when you are a last place team...

Ha, whose idea was this? Imagine the meeting...

Lord help us if they bust out with the mmmbop.

:bandance:

Frontman
09-19-2007, 09:37 PM

POTW.

Frontman
09-19-2007, 09:38 PM
I wonder why they haven't approached Dennis DeYoung to sing in recent years. When was the last time he appeared and sang at a Sox game?

I know he was upset at the strike (who wasn't) but come on now, let's get at least a bit of talent to sing once in awhile.

Dan Mega
09-19-2007, 10:33 PM
Who?

Parrothead
09-19-2007, 10:39 PM
Who?

I don't think they are still touring around here.....would be great to see them again, if they did not play all those new songs they played at the UC last time they were here.

SOX LA Mikey
09-20-2007, 01:45 AM
The WHO is on first.....

eriqjaffe
09-20-2007, 08:28 AM
I wonder why they haven't approached Dennis DeYoung to sing in recent years. When was the last time he appeared and sang at a Sox game?

I know he was upset at the strike (who wasn't) but come on now, let's get at least a bit of talent to sing once in awhile.Dennis DeYoung is/was a very close friend of Tony LaRussa, and had a falling out with Sox management when GM Hawk fired LaRussa.

In fact, DeYoung had contributed a song for the Sox called "Run Sox Run" for the '85 season that was played on the JumboTron before games during '85 and at least part of '86. One time, in an attempt to track down a copy of that song, I attempted to contact Dennis through his website, and they politely informed me that the song was written as a favor to Tony.

russ99
09-20-2007, 08:54 AM
Lord help us if they bust out with the mmmbop.

:bandance:

Please Sox fans, don't throw garbage on the field while Hanson plays. Only North Siders do that... :tongue:

PatK
09-20-2007, 10:45 AM
The Cubs get the Eagles, The Police, and Jimmy Buffett, and we get Hanson???

chisoxmike
09-20-2007, 10:48 AM
The Cubs get the Eagles, The Police, and Jimmy Buffett, and we get Hanson???

Those were actual concerts.

Hanson is playing a 2-3 song set before the game, they will sing the National Anthem and God Bless America.

Frontman
09-21-2007, 04:27 PM
Dennis DeYoung is/was a very close friend of Tony LaRussa, and had a falling out with Sox management when GM Hawk fired LaRussa.

In fact, DeYoung had contributed a song for the Sox called "Run Sox Run" for the '85 season that was played on the JumboTron before games during '85 and at least part of '86. One time, in an attempt to track down a copy of that song, I attempted to contact Dennis through his website, and they politely informed me that the song was written as a favor to Tony.

Oh trust me, my wife is a HUGE Dennis DeYoung fan. The "Run Sox Run" song does hear play around this house from time to time.

But I could of sworn that Styx performed at New Comiskey Park for the pre-game National Anthem; which would of been post-LaRussa being fired.

Ok, I'll be honest. My wife is making me do this to get Dennis work. :wink:

MetroPD
09-21-2007, 05:40 PM
As if this season couldn't give me anymore reason to commit seppuku..

paciorek1983
09-21-2007, 05:49 PM
Wah wah wah big deal. So what. Let 'em play. I'm really tired of the music snobbery that goes around every time any band is mentioned.

I'm not a fan of theirs, but I'm a bigger non-fan of music complainers.

This season has been so bizzare anyway, what's the difference?

MetroPD
09-21-2007, 11:00 PM
Wah wah wah big deal. So what. Let 'em play. I'm really tired of the music snobbery that goes around every time any band is mentioned.

I'm not a fan of theirs, but I'm a bigger non-fan of music complainers.

This season has been so bizzare anyway, what's the difference?

Ok, I appologize Mr. Hanson. You have mighty fine and talented kids.

paciorek1983
09-22-2007, 06:28 PM
Ok, I appologize Mr. Hanson. You have mighty fine and talented kids.

Hey thanks!:smile:

AndaLil25
09-27-2007, 02:20 PM
I think you all have no idea what you're talking about and probably haven't heard Hanson since 1997 when Mmmbop first came out. Maybe you should stop acting like you know what you're talking about and give them a chance when they perform at the ballgame. Because they are extremely talented musicians and incredibly nice human beings. And if you have any musical sense at all, I know you will be impressed with them when they perform.

salty99
09-27-2007, 02:22 PM
Welcome! HANSON RULEZ!

chisoxmike
09-27-2007, 02:26 PM
I think you all have no idea what you're talking about and probably haven't heard Hanson since 1997 when Mmmbop first came out. Maybe you should stop acting like you know what you're talking about and give them a chance when they perform at the ballgame. Because they are extremely talented musicians and incredibly nice human beings. And if you have any musical sense at all, I know you will be impressed with them when they perform.

:rolling:

Wow. Is there some hate thread on a Hanson message board of Sox fans bashing Hanson playing at the park on Sunday?

Nellie_Fox
09-27-2007, 02:32 PM
I think you all have no idea what you're talking about and probably haven't heard Hanson since 1997 when Mmmbop first came out. Maybe you should stop acting like you know what you're talking about and give them a chance when they perform at the ballgame. Because they are extremely talented musicians and incredibly nice human beings. And if you have any musical sense at all, I know you will be impressed with them when they perform.THIS is your first post on a White Sox message board????

jenn2080
09-27-2007, 02:33 PM

Hanson???? Is that you????? :?:

itsnotrequired
09-27-2007, 02:48 PM
all will rue the day when hanson rises up and enslaves mankind for all eternity. they have some pretty good songs though.

IlliniSox4Life
09-27-2007, 03:09 PM
http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/media.canada.com/8c8b3290-2b08-4dc6-8e3e-2cc645fdfe05/070920_crocker.jpg?size=ds

LEAVE HANSON ALONE

jenn2080
09-27-2007, 03:11 PM
http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/media.canada.com/8c8b3290-2b08-4dc6-8e3e-2cc645fdfe05/070920_crocker.jpg?size=ds

LEAVE HANSON ALONE

I just realized that was a guy. It looks like Hillory Duff.

chisoxmike
09-27-2007, 03:12 PM

LEAVE HANSON ALONE

Who the **** is that? Looks like a clown with no makeup on thats coked out.

IlliniSox4Life
09-27-2007, 03:16 PM
Who the **** is that? Looks like a clown with no makeup on thats coked out.

It's this guy named Chris Crocker who went on a rant on the internet about how everyone was ripping into Britney Spears after the VMAs and gained a certain amount of e-fame.

Here's the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHmvkRoEowc&mode=related&search=)

edit: he swears in it once or twice, so just a warning.

chisoxmike
09-27-2007, 03:19 PM
It's this guy named Chris Crocker who went on a rant on the internet about how everyone was ripping into Britney Spears after the VMAs and gained a certain amount of e-fame.

Here's the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHmvkRoEowc&mode=related&search=)

UGH. There is nothing worse in the world right now than "e-fame"

WizardsofOzzie
09-27-2007, 03:20 PM
I just realized that was a guy. It looks like Hillory Duff.

Ouch. Hillary Duff is decent looking, far from looking like a nutbar guy who appears to be a woman

Yeah, it's half disturbing and half hillarious

WizardsofOzzie
09-27-2007, 03:22 PM

I wasn't aware that Hanson still existed after 1997 :tongue:

jenn2080
09-27-2007, 03:23 PM
Ouch. Hillary Duff is decent looking, far from looking like a nutbar guy who appears to be a woman

Yeah, it's half disturbing and half hillarious

She was until she lost all that weight and now she is average.

Frontman
09-27-2007, 03:26 PM

:?:

*fingers hover keyboard for a few moments, trying to wrap my brain around this being a first post.*

Err, welcome first off.

Second, they might be talented (and noone said they weren't nice) but its not like we've seen or heard from them in years.

Granted, I still think Dennis DeYoung should perform for the Sox fans.

:wink:

WizardsofOzzie
09-27-2007, 03:35 PM
She was until she lost all that weight and now she is average.
The last photo I saw of her was this (http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/3324/maximduff1ti9.jpg) so maybe my views are skewed a bit. NSFW if your boss wouldn't understand you looking at a Maxim cover on the job :smile:

BoysMom3
09-28-2007, 12:09 AM
Wow, I just found this thread for the first time today. SMO, you know you're right! And wow to the new poster. Way to make Hanson fans look ridiculous. I thought those antics were done with years ago.

I'm going to be up there this weekend for their concerts Sat. and Sun. night. I'm not going to try to make a point about their talent because I don't care what ya'll think. I can't wait! I wanted to go to Sun.'s game anyway because I'm meeting with several friends for the concerts, and one of them is a big Tigers fan from Michigan. Now I just have to go! Hanson never left the music scene - they've been making new albums and touring all along. You probably don't hear about them if you're not a big fan. They didn't have a lot of commercial success with their albums and were dissatisfied with the lack of creative control on their label, so now they have their own little label.

Anyway, I do care about that about that awful clown being called Taylor. That's just so weird and wrong. This is what Taylor looks like. (those are his 3 kids - they're all married now, and the youngest one is the only one without kids now.)

salty99
09-28-2007, 09:49 AM
More about our favorite group Hanson!

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/music/poprock/577575,WKP-News-hanson28.article

BoysMom3
09-28-2007, 10:04 AM
Thanks Salty! Great article!

spawn
09-28-2007, 11:12 AM
So, I guess the Backstreet Boys weren't available?

chisoxmike
09-28-2007, 11:26 AM
So, I guess the Backstreet Boys weren't available?

I don't think a lot of people were available.

Jerko
09-28-2007, 11:28 AM
Boysmom3 is gonna beat your guys' :booty:s

soltrain21
09-28-2007, 11:36 AM
They are currently on tour taking donations so kids in Argentina will be able to have shoes, they are also raising awareness of a group called HIVSA, which helps families who are struggling with relatives having HIV/AIDS.

I'm sure that has very much to do with their appearance, but hey! Let's rip on them for making a pop album as 13 year olds!

skottyj242
09-28-2007, 11:52 AM
I have a feeling we're also going to get free airline tickels ala the Dallis Mavericks a couple of years ago.

BoysMom3
09-28-2007, 02:10 PM
I'm not going to kick any butts or even take names. Seriously, I don't mind. I'm used to taking crap about liking Hanson. I just think most people don't know what they're talking about regarding the band because they've been out of the spotlight for so long, people don't even know they've put out several albums and been on several tours over the years.

The only one I'm actually annoyed with is the person who I suspect is a 15 y.o. girl who signed up here just to defend Hanson. Give me a break. They're not a bunch of little girls that need defending. They even say themselves - let the music speak for itself. And if you hear the new stuff and don't like it - big deal! Get over it fans! I'll pay top dollar to anyone who can name one band that everyone in the whole country likes. You can't do it, everyone has their own taste and opinion, and that's fine with me.

skottyj242
09-28-2007, 02:12 PM
I'm not going to kick any butts or even take names. Seriously, I don't mind. I'm used to taking crap about liking Hanson. I just think most people don't know what they're talking about regarding the band because they've been out of the spotlight for so long, people don't even know they've put out several albums and been on several tours over the years.

The only one I'm actually annoyed with is the person who I suspect is a 15 y.o. girl who signed up here just to defend Hanson. Give me a break. They're not a bunch of little girls that need defending. They even say themselves - let the music speak for itself. And if you hear the new stuff and don't like it - big deal! Get over it fans! I'll pay top dollar to anyone who can name one band that everyone in the whole country likes. You can't do it, everyone has their own taste and opinion, and that's fine with me.

The Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

IlliniSox4Life
09-28-2007, 02:17 PM
I'll pay top dollar to anyone who can name one band that everyone in the whole country likes.

I am in a band called "the whole country", and everyone in the whole country likes the whole country.

Check, please.

voodoochile
09-28-2007, 02:25 PM
The Morman Tabernacle Quoir.

Get ready to hear from the spelling police...

spawn
09-28-2007, 02:32 PM

The Osmonds, specifically Donny and Marie. And that's because she's a little bit country, while he's a little bit rock and roll.:D:

skottyj242
09-28-2007, 02:33 PM
Get ready to hear from the spelling police...

I knew that didn't seem right. :redface:

voodoochile
09-28-2007, 02:34 PM
I knew that didn't seem right. :redface:

The little red squiggley line under the word could be interpreted as a clue...

skottyj242
09-28-2007, 02:39 PM
The little red squiggley line under the word could be interpreted as a clue...

Me and spellcheck don't get along too well.

BoysMom3
09-28-2007, 02:40 PM
Ok, good answers. Here ya go...hands over a couple big checks.

*choir :wink:

chisoxjtrain
09-28-2007, 05:06 PM
In all seriousness, Hanson's new album is really good.

Nellie_Fox
09-29-2007, 12:07 AM
In all seriousness, Hanson's new album is really good.Can we take Hanson discussions to the Parking Lot instead of the Clubhouse?