PDA

View Full Version : Derivation of MLB team names?

MattSharp
04-10-2002, 02:59 PM
Does anyone have a website that lists/explains the derivations of the nicknames for Major League teams? I am thinking about changing my speech topic to that a the last minute, ut I don't have much time, so I thought I better see if someone could help me out real quick........

KingXerxes
04-10-2002, 03:23 PM
Which ones - specifically?

MattSharp
04-10-2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
Which ones - specifically?

Well I was gonna do them all. I just wondered if there was a site that listed them all in one place. Unless you know them all....

KingXerxes
04-10-2002, 03:35 PM
Try baseball-almanac.com first. As far as I know, it doesn't have explanations, but it does have all the team names. Some names you can figure out using common sense (Houston Astros, Seattle Mariners), and some you need to know the history of (Brooklyn Trolley Dodgers - Brooklyn Dodgers - Los Angeles Dodgers) and some just came about do to fan naming contests or the media.

Good luck.

MattSharp
04-10-2002, 03:39 PM
Try baseball-almanac.com first. As far as I know, it doesn't have explanations, but it does have all the team names. Some names you can figure out using common sense (Houston Astros, Seattle Mariners), and some you need to know the history of (Brooklyn Trolley Dodgers - Brooklyn Dodgers - Los Angeles Dodgers) and some just came about do to fan naming contests or the media.

Good luck.

Hmm. ok....Wanna help me out and explain the Astros one :)

Nellie_Fox
04-10-2002, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
Hmm. ok....Wanna help me out and explain the Astros one :)
They were the Houston Colt .45's. When they built the first domed stadium, it was called the astro dome because that was at the time of the public being all into the space program. The team name was changed to go with the dome.

Conehead
04-10-2002, 03:42 PM
Does anyone have a website that lists/explains the derivations of the nicknames for Major League teams? I am thinking about changing my speech topic to that a the last minute, ut I don't have much time, so I thought I better see if someone could help me out real quick........

Check this out

http://www.fas.org/news/reference/probert/O1.HTM

KingXerxes
04-10-2002, 03:43 PM
NASA and the Space Program are based in Houston.

Nellie_Fox
04-10-2002, 03:46 PM
NASA and the Space Program are based in Houston.
Of course you're correct. The public had come to connect Houston to the then very popular space program.

KingXerxes
04-10-2002, 03:50 PM
Nellie - The timing of my response was not good in that it looked like I was trying to clarify your response to Matt, when in fact I was trying to respond to him, but you snuck in before me.

moochpuppy
04-10-2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Conehead

Check this out

Hmmm......anyone else notice what certain northside team is missing from this encyclopedia? LOL!

Cheryl
04-10-2002, 05:04 PM
I know when Comiskey moved the Saint Paul Saints from the minor leagues (the Western Association? Don't quote me on that--actually, go look it up Matt) he deliberately named them the Chicago White Stockings. That was the original name of the NL club, but at the time they were morphing into the Cubs. I'm thinking they may have been the Colts in 01, or possibly the Orphans. The point being Comiskey chose the name for marketing purposes. The Sox became the Sox because it was easier to fit White Sox into a headline instead of White Stockings.

voodoochile
04-10-2002, 05:30 PM
Nellie - The timing of my response was not good in that it looked like I was trying to clarify your response to Matt, when in fact I was trying to respond to him, but you snuck in before me.

Well thanks to you and Nellie, I learned something today - I thought the team and the stadium were named for the artificial turf. I guess it was the other way around...

No-Neck
04-10-2002, 05:39 PM
Connie Mack (?) started a Franchise at the turn of last century in Philadelphia and called them the Philadelphia Athletic's, and the Philly newspapers immediately called the franchise a "White Elephant". The next day he sewed a white elephant to the sleeves of all the members of the A's.

That's why Oakland has the elephant as their logo.

Every year MLB has an Annual Publication which goes through all the present teams and their names.

I found this one the least known, even though everyone who grows up with the AL has seen the A's and their elephant 100 times.

So now you know. :)

MattSharp
04-10-2002, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Conehead

Check this out

Cool site, but it only covers a few teams, and I was looking for them all.....

Conehead
04-10-2002, 06:25 PM

Cool site, but it only covers a few teams, and I was looking for them all.....

Well... since the startpage isn't working, I found out that the teams N-Z is on the 02.htm page

http://www.fas.org/news/reference/probert/O2.HTM

Nellie_Fox
04-11-2002, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Well thanks to you and Nellie, I learned something today - I thought the team and the stadium were named for the artificial turf. I guess it was the other way around...
No, the Astrodome was originally built with clear glass panels in the roof, and real grass growing in the sunlight. The glare from the panels made it impossible to play, though, so they replaced them with opaque panels, and the grass died. Artificial turf was developed in response to the needs of the Astrodome, and was thus named Astroturf.