PDA

View Full Version : BJ Upton Straight Steals Home vs Halos

kevingrt
09-17-2007, 10:20 PM
If you can catch Sports Center tonight or tomorrow morning and watch it. Upton is on third with two outs and Kelvim Escobar is pitching for the Halos. He gets an unbelievable jump and it is no contest at home. Kind of awesome to watch. Reminds me of Pabs.

JermaineDye05
09-17-2007, 10:52 PM
If you can catch Sports Center tonight or tomorrow morning and watch it. Upton is on third with two outs and Kelvim Escobar is pitching for the Halos. He gets an unbelievable jump and it is no contest at home. Kind of awesome to watch. Reminds me of Pabs.

Was it as good as Crawford's steal of home a couple years back?

DSpivack
09-18-2007, 12:23 AM
Most exciting play in baseball, especially given how rare it is. Even ahead of the triple (play or hit).

IlliniSox4Life
09-18-2007, 01:15 AM
The video is up on MLB's website, check it out.

That's pretty sweet. You don't see those too often, and is super exciting. It's basically the most ballsy move in sports.

chaerulez
09-18-2007, 02:32 AM
For some reason, I thought of what it would be like for Hester to steal home. Would he even need to slide?

IlliniSox4Life
09-18-2007, 02:36 AM
For some reason, I thought of what it would be like for Hester to steal home. Would he even need to slide?

Yes, but that's after he's made it back around the bases to score his second run on the play.

kevingrt
09-18-2007, 10:23 AM

I was kinda of wondering why Upton slide. Unless the catcher is blocking the plate there is really no reason to slide at home.

Nellie_Fox
09-18-2007, 10:32 AM
I was kinda of wondering why Upton slide. Unless the catcher is blocking the plate there is really no reason to slide at home.I didn't see the play, but maybe to make himself a smaller and more difficult-to-tag target?

pierzynski07
09-18-2007, 10:38 AM
I was kinda of wondering why Upton slide. Unless the catcher is blocking the plate there is really no reason to slide at home.
The play looked pretty close to me.

itsnotrequired
09-18-2007, 10:40 AM
I didn't see the play, but maybe to make himself a smaller and more difficult-to-tag target?

Exactly. The catcher is catching the ball at thigh level so by sliding, the catcher is forced to drop the ball down to make a tag rather than just stick his mitt out. The extra motion can make the difference between being safe and out.

That being said, Upton had such a great jump that he probably would have been safe standing up.

SBSoxFan
09-18-2007, 10:58 AM
Exactly. The catcher is catching the ball at thigh level so by sliding, the catcher is forced to drop the ball down to make a tag rather than just stick his mitt out. The extra motion can make the difference between being safe and out.

That being said, Upton had such a great jump that he probably would have been safe standing up.

Especially since it looked like, to me anyway, that he caught a cleat or something Upton started to slide. It really slowed him down, and made the play a lot closer than it should have been.

FedEx227
09-18-2007, 04:23 PM
Sliding changes the plane of the catcher. Say Escobar throws it right down the middle, if Upton doesn't slide the catcher can just stick his glove out and tag him. If he slides though, the catcher now has to catch the ball then go down for the tag.

Good stuff. I love BJ Upton glad to see him be successful, that team really is the most exciting in baseball on a day-by-day basis, if only they could get a bullpen they could hopefully compete.