PDA

View Full Version : What to do w/ 756th HR ball, YOU decide...

mwc44
09-17-2007, 11:51 AM
The fate of 756* is now up to the public!

Fashion designer Marc Ecko spent $752,467 to buy Barry Bondsí record 756th home-run ball, and now he wants baseball fans everywhere to decide what to do with it.
Ecko is offering three choices: Donate it as is to the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y.; brand it with an asterisk and donate it to the Hall of Fame; or put it on a rocket and blast it into space.

http://www.vote756.com/marcecko/

The Critic
09-17-2007, 11:54 AM
I like the asterisk idea.

WizardsofOzzie
09-17-2007, 12:01 PM
Voted for the * myself

Domeshot17
09-17-2007, 12:01 PM

mwc44
09-17-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm torn between branding it and blasting it.

If this guy brands it, perhaps the HOF may not accept it due to the "alteration" (remember how that effected baseball cards when we all bought them in hopes of using them to put our children through college?).

On the other hand, sending it in to orbit may accomplish what the guy says on the website... "out of sight, out of mind." Too bad the person who hit it can't be on the rocket with the ball.

What the hell... you can vote multiple times, so I guess I'll just give a few votes to both. After all, what's the old slogan from around this area...

"Vote early, vote often!" ***

*** Disclaimer: NO political reference or discussion intended.

jenn2080
09-17-2007, 12:22 PM
Pretty stupid purchase to give away or ruin it.

Chips
09-17-2007, 12:26 PM
I voted to put it in the Hall unbranded.

I voted twice.

Fenway
09-17-2007, 12:31 PM
He could blow it up and then make it spaghetti sauce

WhiteSoxFan84
09-17-2007, 03:30 PM
Linky (http://www.vote756.com/marcecko/)

Fashion designer Mark Ecko was revealed as the winning bidder for Barry Bonds' 756th home run and he wants the fans to decide what happens to the ball. You can vote for either giving it to the Hall of Fame, branding it w/ a giant asterik and THEN giving it to the Hall of Fame, or blasting the ball into outter space.

I voted B.

WhiteSoxJunkie
09-17-2007, 03:35 PM
I vote B as well, but would the Hall accept it after someone put a large * on it?

Nellie_Fox
09-17-2007, 03:43 PM
Spaghetti sauce?

getonbckthr
09-17-2007, 04:31 PM
Umm give it to the HoF as is. Its history.

spiffie
09-17-2007, 04:40 PM
Spaghetti sauce?
It was good enough for the Bartman ball.

jabrch
09-17-2007, 04:42 PM
He just paid 3/4 of a million dollars for it...and that's the best he could come up with? Freaking moron - he doesn't deserve that sort of wealth to squander it like that...

Burn the damn thing for all I care. It is a symbol of the plague that Bonds and Company are on baseball. I love the HOF, but I'd never spend 30 seconds looking at a case that highlights THAT baseball.

TDog
09-17-2007, 05:38 PM
I'm torn between branding it and blasting it. ...

:(: It's not the ball's fault that Bonds hit it.

CLR01
09-17-2007, 05:44 PM
He could blow it up and then make it spaghetti sauce

That's what I would do.

:(: It's not the ball's fault that Bonds hit it.

Think of the ball, it has feelings to. :rolleyes:

Not bad....
http://whitesoxinteractive.com/chisox716/756.jpg

PennStater98r
09-17-2007, 07:07 PM
Are there choices for what we do with Bonds?

:cool:

voodoochile
09-17-2007, 08:16 PM
Are there choices for what we do with Bonds?

:cool:

I vote for branding an asterisk on his butt, launching him into space then blowing up the ship and turning whatever confetti makes it back to earth into spaghetti sauce.

kevin57
09-17-2007, 10:26 PM
What to do with it?

Oh, that's too easy...:D:

mwc44
09-17-2007, 10:47 PM
I vote for branding an asterisk on his butt, launching him into space then blowing up the ship and turning whatever confetti makes it back to earth into spaghetti sauce.

Bravo!!! :thumbsup:

dakuda
09-17-2007, 10:53 PM
I like the asterisk idea.

TDog
09-18-2007, 12:52 AM

Think of the ball, it has feelings to. :rolleyes: ...

As they say, therein lies the humor.

There are, seriously, a couple of anecdotal reports of strange things happening with baseballs involved in infamous plays. The ball that killed Ray Chapman in 1920, I read (in the Hammond Times, so I knew it was true) in the 1970s, I think, was used by a Little League coach in practice. After a couple of players were hurt by bad hops, he noticed he was using the death ball and took it out of play.

Maybe throwing the Bonds home run ball around would lead to some of those nasty steroid side effects.

soxinem1
09-18-2007, 03:20 PM
Pretty stupid purchase to give away or ruin it.

Just like the idiots who blew up Bartman's ball from the 2003 NLCS.

I for one voted *

voodoochile
09-18-2007, 03:31 PM
Just like the idiots who blew up Bartman's ball from the 2003 NLCS.

Yeah, but the alternative was to sacrifice a goat and not only did no one want to eat the goat afterwards, it would have caused a massive outcry from the non-Pagan religions represented in the fan base to say nothing of the frothing of the mouth that PETA would have spewed forth...

PatK
09-18-2007, 05:21 PM
Why put the asterisk? Because Bonds is a jag?

Why not put an asterisk on Maris' ball, since he played more games in the season than Ruth did.

voodoochile
09-18-2007, 05:32 PM

Why not put an asterisk on Maris' ball, since he played more games in the season than Ruth did.

Prepare to get ripped to shreds...

Edit: Oh what the heck, I'll start... Because Bonds is a CHEATING, juicing, lying jag. Hope that helps explain the reason for the asterisk...

ilsox7
09-18-2007, 05:32 PM

The whole admitting to taking steroids thing comes to mind . . .

WhiteSoxFan84
09-19-2007, 04:21 AM
For those calling the people who purchased the Bartman ball stupid, you're not thinking straight. They (some bar in crapville) didn't buy it to cherish it, they bought it and did what they did to it to get media attention and thus get the name of their establishment out on TV and in print. ESPN and every local media outlet mentioned the bar's name over and over. They technically bought a ton of advertisements at a discount price.

Ecko doesn't need the pub, but he gets it anyway and now will always be linked to the ball.

And to that guy who said put an asterik on Maris' ball if you put one on Bonds', are you kidding me? Is it Maris' fault that baseball decided to extend it's regular season? He did nothing wrong. Bonds on the other hand... hasn't done much (the) right (way) since 2001.

voodoochile
09-19-2007, 09:03 AM
For those calling the people who purchased the Bartman ball stupid, you're not thinking straight. They (some bar in crapville) didn't buy it to cherish it, they bought it and did what they did to it to get media attention and thus get the name of their establishment out on TV and in print. ESPN and every local media outlet mentioned the bar's name over and over. They technically bought a ton of advertisements at a discount price.

Ecko doesn't need the pub, but he gets it anyway and now will always be linked to the ball.

And to that guy who said put an asterik on Maris' ball if you put one on Bonds', are you kidding me? Is it Maris' fault that baseball decided to extend it's regular season? He did nothing wrong. Bonds on the other hand... hasn't done much (the) right (way) since 2001.

Just to clarify. The bar that bought Bartman's ball is called Harry Carry's. It's located in downtown Chicago. It's got an extensive menu and wine list as well as a large bar where the devoted go to drink and have fun. It doesn't need publicity pretty much everyone who is a flubs fan knows about it and where it is and has spent some time there. It's also a meeting place for big shots and media types because they do banquets and have up scale food available.

It's actually one of the things that makes it extra funny about the ball being turned into spaghetti sauce because the chef probably threw a fit about having to do it and serve it.

PatK
09-19-2007, 09:43 AM
Prepare to get ripped to shreds...

Edit: Oh what the heck, I'll start... Because Bonds is a CHEATING, juicing, lying jag. Hope that helps explain the reason for the asterisk...

LOL I forgot to add the steroids thing, but know what you mean.

I don't know, I don't have as much of a problem with it as most people do.

Besides, that ball's gonna be replaced in about 10 years when A-Rod beats the record.

WizardsofOzzie
09-19-2007, 10:57 AM
Sounds like Barry doesn't approve too much

"He's stupid. He's an idiot," Bonds said, according to the newspaper. "He spent $750,000 on the ball and that's what he's doing with it? What he's doing is stupid."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3026654&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

ode to veeck
09-19-2007, 11:16 AM

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3026654&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

Obviously he's getting what he wanted, pissing off one of the biggest *******s in the game.

mwc44
09-19-2007, 02:00 PM
Add # 755 to the passenger list when # 756 blasts off....

The California entrepreneur who submitted the winning bid on Barry Bonds' record-tying 755th home run ball said Tuesday that he also will let the public decide what to do with it.
Ben Padnos told The Associated Press that he would follow the lead of fashion designer Marc Ecko, who bought Bonds' No. 756 ball, and let fans vote on whether he should give it to the Hall of Fame or destroy it.

thomas35forever
09-19-2007, 02:34 PM
"He's stupid. He's an idiot," Bonds said, according to the newspaper. "He spent $750,000 on the ball and that's what he's doing with it? What he's doing is stupid."

:KW
"He better stay out of his business. He better stay out of Ecko business."

To each his own, I guess.

IlliniSox4Life
09-19-2007, 04:18 PM

Yeah Barry, and that idiot has made enough money without injecting himself with steroids that he can afford to spend 3/4 a million to try and embarrass you. You may think what he is doing is stupid, but some would say that taking steroids is pretty stupid.

kobo
09-19-2007, 06:52 PM

This is pretty funny though:

Ecko did not directly respond to Bonds' comments Wednesday, but said in a statement he would make Bonds a custom T-shirt that says, "Marc Ecko paid $752,467 for my ball, and all I got was this 'stupid' T-shirt.

KRS1
09-19-2007, 07:49 PM
Oh no, how terrible, Barry sounds disappointed.

Hello Mr Bonds, welcome to Youbroughtthistreatmentuponourselfville. That salty taste in your mouth is the same one millions of baseball fans had when the ball was hit. I voted for B.

voodoochile
09-19-2007, 11:18 PM
This is pretty funny though:

Ecko did not directly respond to Bonds' comments Wednesday, but said in a statement he would make Bonds a custom T-shirt that says, "Marc Ecko paid $752,467 for my ball, and all I got was this 'stupid' T-shirt.

Two things...

How much did Barry pay to not have any balls or at least to shrink them to the point where they became meaningless?

I'd like to suggest a third option for the homerun ball. Find a way to inflate it until it was as big as it could be and busting at the seams without actually tearing them - perhaps inserting a needle down inside it and then injecting sand until it filled up and got bigger. Then brand it with the asterisk and mail it into the Hall...

DSpivack
09-19-2007, 11:47 PM
Two things...

How much did Barry pay to not have any balls or at least to shrink them to the point where they became meaningless?

I'd like to suggest a third option for the homerun ball. Find a way to inflate it until it was as big as it could be and busting at the seams without actually tearing them - perhaps inserting a needle down inside it and then injecting sand until it filled up and got bigger. Then brand it with the asterisk and mail it into the Hall...

I love it! Even better than blasting it into space.

mwc44
09-25-2007, 10:53 PM
Less than 10 minutes to vote and 10,208,219 votes have been cast. The fate of the ball will be announced on the Today show in the morning.

soxwon
09-25-2007, 11:10 PM
Give it to Barry where it rightfully belongs and bow and kiss his ring.

mwc44
09-26-2007, 08:21 AM
Stoke up the fire... the branding iron is about to be heated...

With over 10 million votes recorded and tabulated, the results were clear: A) BESTOW IT - 34% B) BRAND IT - 47% C) BANISH IT - 19%

The public chose to send the ball to the Hall of Fame with an asterisk, as a constant reminder of this unforgettable moment in sports history and popular culture.

In the end, 80 percent of voters believed the ball should go to Cooperstown (47% opting to mark the ball; 34% without), and two thirds felt that doubts surrounding the record needed to be recognized (47% for the asterisk; 19% for space)

WizardsofOzzie
09-26-2007, 11:43 AM
Stoke up the fire... the branding iron is about to be heated...
:bandance:

pierzynski07
09-26-2007, 02:18 PM
The HOF is still going to accept it as well, saying that the museum is all about the fans, and if that's how the fans feel about the record, then that's how it'll be represented.

Sockinchisox
09-26-2007, 07:35 PM
Marc Ecko bought Bonds' 756 and is branding it with a permanent asterisk and sending it to cooperstown where it will be displayed, asterisk and all, hahah great stuff.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070926&content_id=2231076&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Edit: Ya I know I butchered the word branding, if someone could fix that, that would be great.

FarWestChicago
09-26-2007, 09:46 PM
I fixed it, but I think the dude blew it. The Tool will just have the ball mounted with the asterisk obscured. He should have epoxied a syringe to the ball. :cool:

:tool

We have no problem with performance enhancing drugs in MLB!