PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 9-18

Lip Man 1
09-17-2007, 11:05 AM
September 18, 1940 - A game originally played on June 20th with the Sox beating New York 1 - 0 in eleven innings, is ordered replayed by the commissioners office. A Sox win is literally washed away. The Sox found themselves in the middle of a pennant race and losing 9 - 8 in the 8th inning of the replayed game, when umpire Harry Geisel orders the game ended, claiming it was too dark to finish.

September 18, 1971 - Carlos May pulls off one of the rarest baseball feats of all when he gets an inside the park grand slam against the Angels Tom Murphy. May, a left handed hitter, sliced a drive down the left field line at Comiskey Park. California’s Ken Berry slammed his head diving for the ball which rolled into the corner. By the time center fielder Mickey Rivers came over and threw it back home, everyone had scored. The Sox behind pitcher Tom Bradley won the game 5 - 1. (Both Berry and May talk about this unusual play in their respective interviews with White Sox Interactive)

http://i17.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/b5/d3/f056_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/1970-TOPPS-CARLOS-MAY-WHITE-SOX-18_W0QQitemZ280152382821QQihZ018QQcategoryZ60499QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosti ng)

Lip

WizardsofOzzie
09-17-2007, 12:29 PM
September 18, 1940 - A game originally played on June 20th with the Sox beating New York 1 - 0 in eleven innings, is ordered replayed by the commissioners office. A Sox win is literally washed away. The Sox found themselves in the middle of a pennant race and losing 9 - 8 in the 8th inning of the replayed game, when umpire Harry Geisel orders the game ended, claiming it was too dark to finish.

Lip

Never heard about that before. Why was it ordered to be replayed?

Lip Man 1
09-17-2007, 12:36 PM
In the original game (I think) a ball that was caught by a Sox outfielder was contested by New York. They claimed the ball was trapped.

Apparently the commissioner's office agreed.

Like Chuck Comiskey would later say, 'there are two sets of rules in baseball...one for everyone else and one for the Yankees...'

Lip

Railsplitter
09-17-2007, 10:12 PM
September 18, 1983: Mike Squires, the player on the 1983 Sox with the longest tenure on the team, is given the honor of rasing the divisional championship flag over Old Comiskey Park.