PDA

View Full Version : FOX is NOT doing the first round

Fenway
09-17-2007, 10:44 AM
Every division game is on TBS

http://www.tbs.com/stories/story/0,,117549,00.html (http://www.tbs.com/stories/story/0,,117549,00.html)

I really think MLB made a huge mistake in giving TBS the NLCS....having the AL on over the air TV could bring twice as many viewers. TBS has to pray for either the Mets or Cubs to make it to the LCS.

TBS will offer the game to a local broadcaster in the markets of the teams. Most likely that will be Channel 26 in Chicago.

Lip Man 1
09-17-2007, 11:08 AM
I for one think it's great, the less we see of East Coast biased networks like ESPN and Fox the better.

Those networks need to realize baseball is played west of the Allegheny Mountains and that the majority of the country could give a damn about the Red Sox-Yankees.

Like Ozzie I will not watch one second (again) of baseball this postseason.

Lip

VenturaFan23
09-17-2007, 11:17 AM
I for one think it's great, the less we see of East Coast biased networks like ESPN and Fox the better.

Those networks need to realize baseball is played west of the Allegheny Mountains and that the majority of the country could give a damn about the Red Sox-Yankees.

Lip

I agree. The less we hear Buck and McCarver the better.

Fenway
09-17-2007, 11:19 AM
I agree. The less we hear Buck and McCarver the better.

Problem is the NL series is going to be overlooked by millions being on cable. The NBA has found this out big time.

pierzynski07
09-17-2007, 11:20 AM

Lip

Chip Caray. So instead of a "certain teams in the north east" bias (get it right :angry:), we have to deal with him. Is that really any better?

Glad to know you're not watching postseason baseball. I don't know what you hate good baseball, but to each their own.

And Fenway, this was announced quite awhile back. About a year ago actually. You should know that the networks will switch between the LCSs each year.

Fenway
09-17-2007, 11:25 AM
Chip Caray. So instead of a "certain teams in the north east" bias (get it right :angry:), we have to deal with him. Is that really any better?

Glad to know you're not watching postseason baseball. I don't know what you hate good baseball, but to each their own.

And Fenway, this was announced quite awhile back. About a year ago actually. You should know that the networks will switch between the LCSs each year.

I knew about the move to TBS but didn't know FOX got bumped from cherry picking division series games

Well at least no Chris Berman if Boston gets in :smile:

PKalltheway
09-17-2007, 11:27 AM
Problem is the NL series is going to be overlooked by millions being on cable.
Not if the Cubs make it. I really want to see the Angels and Indians both make the ALCS so they can **** on Fox's parade.

Lip Man 1
09-17-2007, 12:40 PM
Pier:

I have far less issues with Chip who at least has worked in Seattle and Atlanta then with Berman who has never set foot out of New England and his roots.

Like with Ozzie I don't watch post season baseball because if the Sox aren't in it, frankly, I don't care.

Also I'm sick and tired of seeing the same damn teams in it year after year after year, particularly in the A.L.

Plus if I didn't watch a second in 06 when the Sox won 90 games I'm sure as hell not going to watch it this year when they win 75.

Lip

chaerulez
09-17-2007, 12:42 PM
I know people are tired of ESPN/Fox and rightfully so, but I think the point Fenway is trying to make is this will be bad for MLB as a whole. The NBA has suffered since it became all cable except for the NBA Finals and some conference finals games. They wonder why the NBA Finals don't get ratings? It's because no one has seen the rest of the playoffs.

getonbckthr
09-17-2007, 01:28 PM
The playoffs for every sport should be on regular TV for everyone to see. Not ESPN, not TBS. Why can't it be FOX for one league and ABC for the other with FOX getting the World Series?

captainclutch24
09-17-2007, 02:01 PM
This is a stupid idea although I like the idea of local teams getting their stations. Baseball is going to lose a lot of money by doing this.

getonbckthr
09-17-2007, 02:06 PM
This is a stupid idea although I like the idea of local teams getting their stations. Baseball is going to lose a lot of money by doing this.
Ya but what did TBS pay for it?

DSpivack
09-17-2007, 02:15 PM

Local teams will still be broadcasted locally, the way I understand it.

FloridaTigers
09-17-2007, 02:16 PM

Lip

TBS is in Atlanta...and Atlanta is on what coast?

NardiWasHere
09-17-2007, 02:29 PM
The dreaded Southeast Bias!!!!!!!

I hope TBS can put together a broadcast half as good as TNT basketball.

Fox's inability to trust the games to be entertaining enough just ruins the entire broadcasts. Instead of baseball we get curses, dancing robots, "CONTROVERSY!", educational talking cartoon baseballs, and so much more unneeded hoopla.

I read somewhere one time that someone did a study on Fox Sports broadcasts. The amount of time spent on showing closeups of players faces was far away the most out of any other network. This just shows some strange desire to produce fake drama without allowing the game to provide the real tension.

If David Wright is going to emerge out of the playoffs or the all-star game as a hero or a superstar, allow it to happen organically. I don't need constant reminders about who he is via graphics informing me of his favorite book or song. Sports on tv has been turned into reality programming. Instead of sport, we get some messed up hybrid of pre-planned scripted drama, and a plethora of dancing robots.

I hate the dancing robots.

Lip Man 1
09-17-2007, 02:30 PM
Florida Tigers:

Neither.

Atlanta is far closer to the Alabama state line then the Atlantic Ocean AND more importantly it's not in the Northeast media hub which is where all things start and end...according to the folks who live there and work in the media.

Feel free to check a U.S. atlas on this if you desire.

Lip

Nellie_Fox
09-17-2007, 02:45 PM
...the majority of the country could give a damn about the Red Sox-Yankees.No we couldn't.

Fox and ABC would be HD; TBS is not. :(:

Noneck
09-17-2007, 02:51 PM
No we couldn't.

2007 MLB playoffs not in HD? That is insane. I hope it's in living color.

DSpivack
09-17-2007, 02:54 PM
Florida Tigers:

Neither.

Atlanta is far closer to the Alabama state line then the Atlantic Ocean AND more importantly it's not in the Northeast media hub which is where all things start and end...according to the folks who live there and work in the media.

Feel free to check a U.S. atlas on this if you desire.

Lip

Lived there for 5 years...I wish it was on the coast! Probably closer to the gulf than to the ocean.

ChiSoxRowand
09-17-2007, 04:02 PM
Pier:
Like with Ozzie I don't watch post season baseball because if the Sox aren't in it, frankly, I don't care.
Lip

I feel sorry for you, you have missed a lot of great moments over the years.

I do get sick of the same teams year after year. Going back to four divisions again would somewhat solve that, but in the 70's it was the same teams every year too.

Soxworldchamps
09-17-2007, 04:22 PM
I don't even get TBS anymore.

Comcast pulled it and is only offering it with a cable package.

pierzynski07
09-17-2007, 05:06 PM
No we couldn't.

:?: (http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsroom/pr/0,20812,1637248,00.html)

It was announced, and explicitly mentioned that the playoffs would be HD. (http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsroom/pr/0,20812,1637248,00.html)

pierzynski07
09-17-2007, 05:12 PM
I knew about the move to TBS but didn't know FOX got bumped from cherry picking division series games

Well at least no Chris Berman if Boston gets in :smile:
Actually, that was announced even earlier at the all-star break (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060711&content_id=1552889&vkey=allstar2006&fext=.jsp).

If WGN could show games from ESPN in 05, then all the local markets should be able to show games locally from TBS.

Lip Man 1
09-17-2007, 08:10 PM
Chisox:

I appreciate the thought but missing all those 'great moments' doesn't bother me.

The less I see of the Yankees or Red Sox the better off I am.

I'll return to viewing when those clubs are on the outside looking in.

Lip

Nellie_Fox
09-18-2007, 12:08 AM
:?: (http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsroom/pr/0,20812,1637248,00.html)

It was announced, and explicitly mentioned that the playoffs would be HD. (http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsroom/pr/0,20812,1637248,00.html)TBS HD is not available on my cable system. That's what I was referring to, that I could get ABC of FOX on HD, but not TBS, because it's not on my system.

SoxFan78
09-18-2007, 09:33 AM
How are they going to work it if games are going on at the same time? Will one game be on TBS and the other on TNT??

soxfan80
09-18-2007, 09:45 AM
How are they going to work it if games are going on at the same time? Will one game be on TBS and the other on TNT??exactly

SpartanSoxFan
09-18-2007, 09:04 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but are you telling me you'd prefer this horror over Buck and McCarver???

:chimp

"That's right, Chicago, just when you thought you'd seen and heard the last of the old Chimperoo...."

:bundy

"AIEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!"

Lip Man 1
09-19-2007, 11:27 AM
Spartan:

To answer your question... in a heartbeat.

Lip

peeonwrigley
09-19-2007, 01:37 PM
I hope TBS can put together a broadcast half as good as TNT basketball.

Agree 100%.

thomas35forever
09-19-2007, 01:47 PM
How are they going to work it if games are going on at the same time? Will one game be on TBS and the other on TNT??
Good question. Fox and FX have simultaneously broadcast the LCS in recent years. Why not?

pierzynski07
09-19-2007, 11:14 PM
Good question. Fox and FX have simultaneously broadcast the LCS in recent years. Why not?
Well in the past, they've scheduled three games spread out throughout the day. With more off days this year, three might not be necessary anymore, but I suspect that the only issues will be overlap.

BTW, the FOX/FX (and occasionally FSN) thing is done intentionally, not because they had to.

Fenway
09-20-2007, 06:56 AM
TBS annouced that NESN's Don Orsillo has been hired for the first round.

Red Sox TV play-by-play man Don Orsillo is headed to the postseason ó though probably not with the team whose games he broadcasts.

Orsillo, now in his seventh year with NESN, has been tabbed by TBS to work baseballís Division Series, according to broadcast industry sources.

http://www.projo.com/redsox/content/sp_bb_orsillo18_09-18-07_AF75ND4.34ba23f.html

soxfan80
09-20-2007, 07:20 AM
ther'e sno reason why they are starting on a wed this year. if there's bad weather, that empty tuesday will look bad on mlb.

anewman35
09-20-2007, 10:42 AM
If WGN could show games from ESPN in 05, then all the local markets should be able to show games locally from TBS.

According to Bob Brently's blog:

One big change this year - any wild card playoff game, plus the division series, and the National League Championship Series will be airing on TBS. THERE IS NO OVER THE AIR television of these games. Unlike previous years, where WGN would air ESPN's version of some of these games, if you or someone you know cannot watch TBS, you will not be able to watch these games. This decision was made by Major League Baseball and TBS. WGN and the Cubs had nothing to do with it.

Fenway
09-20-2007, 10:51 AM
According to Bob Brently's blog:

That isn't true....

WSBK-TV in Boston is running the TBS feed ( they can not beam it on their satellite however )

There is a problem with one major cable provider in Central Mass and New Hampshire not airing TBS ( and never has )

soxwon
09-20-2007, 06:09 PM
mets-padres
dbacks-milw

boston-clev
ny-LAA

Fenway
09-21-2007, 07:25 AM
TBS has named the annoucers.
PLAY BY PLAY: Chip Caray, Dick Stockton, Ted Robinson and Don Orsillo.

ANALYSTS: Steve Stone, Bob Brenly, Joe Simpson and Tony Gwynn.

Fenway
09-21-2007, 08:46 AM
That isn't true....

WSBK-TV in Boston is running the TBS feed ( they can not beam it on their satellite however )

There is a problem with one major cable provider in Central Mass and New Hampshire not airing TBS ( and never has )

Charter Cable has agreed to air TBS during the playoffs so the game is now off WSBK

BUT

If Comcast refuses to air TBS HD the Boston games at least will appear on NESN HD only

Comcast DOES carry TNT HD so there is hope

What a mess

pierzynski07
09-21-2007, 01:11 PM
TBS has named the annoucers.
PLAY BY PLAY: Chip Caray, Dick Stockton, Ted Robinson and Don Orsillo.

ANALYSTS: Steve Stone, Bob Brenly, Joe Simpson and Tony Gwynn.

Before anyone freaks out, Caray and Gywnn were already announced as a team.