PDA

View Full Version : at a bar in Cambridge.....

Fenway
09-17-2007, 09:59 AM
Friend of mine was at Uno Harvard Square and told me what happened Friday night.

A bunch of students wearing Cubbie gear came in to watch the Cubs game and demanded it be put on the big screen ( Red Sox-Yankees being played at the same time)

They asked for it by saying "The Chicago game"

Bartender said it would be on a small screen only and then he put on the White Sox game......Cubs fans scream and bartender replied "you asked for Chicago, that is what you are getting".....

They left :tongue:

Uno shows every White Sox game and there are 3 or 4 guys in there all the time watching the Sox.

itsnotrequired
09-17-2007, 10:02 AM
:rolling:

WizardsofOzzie
09-17-2007, 10:12 AM
I'm surprised they were sober enough to notice the difference

nysox35
09-17-2007, 10:25 AM
Fenway, now that is hilarious! :D:

Fenway
09-17-2007, 10:32 AM
Fenway, now that is hilarious! :D:

A lot of the Cubbie students in Cambridge have that New Trier look to them. You see a few White Sox fans here but Harvard and Tufts are filled with North Shore types

DSpivack
09-17-2007, 11:47 AM
A lot of the Cubbie students in Cambridge have that New Trier look to them. You see a few White Sox fans here but Harvard and Tufts are filled with North Shore types

As an Evanston grad, I love this. :tongue: I guess I always root for the "south" team (Evanston-NT, Illinois-Northwestern, Bears-Packers).

mark2olson
09-17-2007, 12:55 PM
Bartender said it would be on a small screen only and then he put on the White Sox game......Cubs fans scream and bartender replied "you asked for Chicago, that is what you are getting".....

Well done, Mr. Bartender!

FedEx227
09-17-2007, 01:19 PM
Amazing. Kudos to him.

Foulke You
09-17-2007, 04:35 PM
Great story Fenway. How arrogant can you be to ask for an out of market game on the big screen when there is a huge game of local importance going on? When I'm away from Chicago, I'm ecstatic if the bartender can put the Sox on one of the small TVs for me. Of course, who could expect snobby Cubs fans to grasp that the world doesn't revolve around them.

DumpJerry
09-17-2007, 04:50 PM
They were probably Havhad students.

I fear for the future.

areilly
09-17-2007, 05:20 PM

They left :tongue:

Note to self: stop at Uno if I ever make it to Boston and say thank you for halting the spread of Cubbie love across state lines.

Great story. :cool:

HomeFish
09-17-2007, 06:30 PM
Unfortunately, the Uno's in Harvard Square represents Chicago poorly by serving inferior pizza.

I was walking in Cambridge in my White Sox hat a few nights ago, and this obviously drunken Red Sox fan comes up to me, points his finger in my face, and yells "the Yankees are never going to win!" I guess when you've had that much to drink, the hats sort of look alike?

MarySwiss
09-17-2007, 06:34 PM
Well done, Mr. Bartender!

Very true! Hope he made a ton of tips for it from the Sox fans in the place. :D:

ChiSoxGirl
09-17-2007, 09:10 PM
I'm surprised they were sober enough to notice the difference

:roflmao:

Isn't it amazing that in Cambridge, guys can walk into a bar, demand the "Chicago game" and get the Sox game? But in our own town, any one of us could walk into a bar, demand the "Chicago game" and get the Cubs game?! :rolleyes:

Fenway
09-17-2007, 09:59 PM
Unfortunately, the Uno's in Harvard Square represents Chicago poorly by serving inferior pizza.

I was walking in Cambridge in my White Sox hat a few nights ago, and this obviously drunken Red Sox fan comes up to me, points his finger in my face, and yells "the Yankees are never going to win!" I guess when you've had that much to drink, the hats sort of look alike?

Best pizza in the Sq is Crazy Dough next door to Uno. Bartenders hate the Cubs crowd as they do not tip well.

HomeFish
09-17-2007, 10:00 PM
Best pizza in the Sq is Crazy Dough next door to Uno. Bartenders hate the Cubs crowd as they do not tip well.

Is there anywhere in Boston where I can get good deep dish? Something on the level of Giordannos?

Viva Medias B's
09-17-2007, 10:49 PM
They were probably Havhad students.

I fear for the future.

Harvard must have dramatically lowered their admission standards.

harwar
09-18-2007, 06:59 AM
Friend of mine was at Uno Harvard Square and told me what happened Friday night.

A bunch of students wearing Cubbie gear came in to watch the Cubs game and demanded it be put on the big screen ( Red Sox-Yankees being played at the same time)

They asked for it by saying "The Chicago game"

They left :tongue:You just brought a smile to a sick old man.

DumpJerry
09-18-2007, 07:22 AM
Is there anywhere in Boston where I can get good deep dish? Something on the level of Giordannos?
Huh? You used the words "good deep dish" and "Giordano's" in the same sentence. The twain shall never meet.....

itsnotrequired
09-18-2007, 08:23 AM

Huh? You used the words "good deep dish" and "Giordano's" in the same sentence. The twain shall never meet.....

I wondered how long it would take for a lame pizza debate to be renewed. Then it was started before I could even respond.

:thigpen

Fenway
09-18-2007, 08:24 AM

Boston has never been a deep dish town BUT

Here are the best 3 places for pizza that will rival anything Chicago offers

#1 Hands down the best in the city
Santarpios Pizza
111 Chelsea Street
East Boston, MA 02128</SPAN>
http://www.santarpiospizza.com/default.asp (http://www.santarpiospizza.com/default.asp)

#2 La Hacienda
46 Medford St Somerville, MA 02143
http://www.yelp.com/biz/6zEvmwzrXKWUYGolzpvMjA (http://www.yelp.com/biz/6zEvmwzrXKWUYGolzpvMjA)

#3 Crazy Dough
http://www.crazydoughs.com/locations.html (http://www.crazydoughs.com/locations.html)

best slice you will find anywhere

CRAZY DOUGH'S PIZZA COMPANY
Boylston: 617-266-5656

1124 Boylston Street, Boston, MA

Harvard Square : 617-492-4848
36 JFK Street, Cambridge, MA

skobabe8
09-18-2007, 08:27 AM

Isn't it amazing that in Cambridge, guys can walk into a bar, demand the "Chicago game" and get the Sox game? But in our own town, any one of us could walk into a bar, demand the "Chicago game" and get the Cubs game?! :rolleyes:

:rolling:

So true!

34 Inch Stick
09-18-2007, 10:55 AM
After he turned on the Sox he should have said "how do you like those apples".

HomeFish
09-18-2007, 06:18 PM
Boston has never been a deep dish town BUT

Here are the best 3 places for pizza that will rival anything Chicago offers

#1 Hands down the best in the city
Santarpios Pizza
111 Chelsea Street
East Boston, MA 02128</SPAN>
http://www.santarpiospizza.com/default.asp (http://www.santarpiospizza.com/default.asp)

#2 La Hacienda
46 Medford St Somerville, MA 02143
http://www.yelp.com/biz/6zEvmwzrXKWUYGolzpvMjA (http://www.yelp.com/biz/6zEvmwzrXKWUYGolzpvMjA)

#3 Crazy Dough
http://www.crazydoughs.com/locations.html (http://www.crazydoughs.com/locations.html)

best slice you will find anywhere

CRAZY DOUGH'S PIZZA COMPANY
Boylston: 617-266-5656

1124 Boylston Street, Boston, MA

Harvard Square : 617-492-4848
36 JFK Street, Cambridge, MA

I had Crazy Dough for lunch today, and it felt like it was made from those hard biscuits that sailors used to eat. I'll definitely try the other two places before I completely write off Boston as a pizza town, though. Thanks for the suggestions! :)

thomas35forever
09-18-2007, 06:21 PM
I love it when New Englanders stand their ground on the White Sox, though this is the only time I've heard of it.:D:

MCHSoxFan
09-18-2007, 07:03 PM
GO MILWAUKEE!!! I want them to win not just because I just hate the C**s, but because I actually like Milwaukee as a city. I have been going there for 2-3 days every summer and/or winter since 2000. GO MILWAUKEE!!!

DumpJerry
09-18-2007, 10:08 PM
GO MILWAUKEE!!! I want them to win not just because I just hate the C**s, but because I actually like Milwaukee as a city. I have been going there for 2-3 days every summer and/or winter since 2000. GO MILWAUKEE!!!
:?:? Did you read this thread or did you accidentally post this here and not where you intended?

itsnotrequired
09-18-2007, 10:11 PM
:?:? Did you read this thread or did you accidentally post this here and not where you intended?

Brewers rule! Go to Hell, Dump!

:firejauron

DumpJerry
09-18-2007, 10:20 PM
Brewers rule! Go to Hell, Dump!

:firejauron
Hey, I'm pulling for the Brew Crew as much as any self-respecting White Sox fan, it's just that his post seems a bit mis-placed.

Fenway
09-18-2007, 10:24 PM
I love it when New Englanders stand their ground on the White Sox, though this is the only time I've heard of it.:D:

Boston is an American League town no shock

TDog
09-18-2007, 10:38 PM
An Uno opened up in the neighborhood where I'm living in Northern California. It is the only Uno I have ever visited. My girlfriend likes to go there for lunch. The only sports stuff is around there bar, where we have to be seated sometimes because of the volume of business. It is exclusively Cubs and Bears. It's not like the Sox won the World Series two years ago, I guess. I've never been there when baseball was on the televisions.

The last time I was there, I wore my Chicago White Sox 2005 World Series Champions polo shirt. But didn't complain about sitting near a picture of Leo Durocher.

I should complain.

ilsox7
09-18-2007, 10:40 PM
An Uno opened up in the neighborhood where I'm living in Northern California. It is the only Uno I have ever visited. My girlfriend likes to go there for lunch. The only sports stuff is around there bar, where we have to be seated sometimes because of the volume of business. It is exclusively Cubs and Bears. It's not like the Sox won the World Series two years ago, I guess. I've never been there when baseball was on the televisions.

The last time I was there, I wore my Chicago White Sox 2005 World Series Champions polo shirt. But didn't complain about sitting near a picture of Leo Durocher.

I should complain.

My friend lives outside of Anchorage and claims there is good pizza there. I am tempted to go up and visit just to see if she is right. Hell, I'd love to go to Alaska anyways. She keeps insisting that everything is not made of ice there, which has disappointed me. :D:

chisoxfanatic
09-18-2007, 10:42 PM
My friend lives outside of Anchorage and claims there is good pizza there. I am tempted to go up and visit just to see if she is right. Hell, I'd love to go to Alaska anyways. She keeps insisting that everything is not made of ice there, which has disappointed me. :D:

I'd be rather skeptical about that claim as well. Give me her number; I think al-ask-a! :cool::D:

DumpJerry
09-18-2007, 10:50 PM
Been to Alaska several times. I've been accused of being on the state tourism payroll the way I talk up the state. Anchorage is usually warmer than Chicago during the winter. It get close to 100 in the summer up there, even as far north as Fairbanks. It is out of this world beautiful.

Get up there ASAP! You won't regret it.

I'd be rather skeptical about that claim as well. Give me her number; I think al-ask-a! :cool::D:

Why are you skeptical? If you look up the average temps in Anchorage, Seward and Girdwood, you see that not only is it usually warmer than Chicago, but a hell of a lot more scenic (mountains, mountains, mountains). It's all because of the Japan Current in the Pacific Ocean. Faribanks gets a bit chilly in the winter, however, it is north of the Alaska Range.

Regarding Uno's: The Uno's out side of Chicago are not "real" Uno's in that they are franchises, not company owned. They are not allowed to use the same pizza recipie that the Chicago Uno's uses, that is why the non-Chicago Uno Pizza really blows. They are just taking advantage of the Chicago connection on unsuspecting non-Chicago people.

ilsox7
09-18-2007, 10:57 PM
Been to Alaska several times. I've been accused of being on the state tourism payroll the way I talk up the state. Anchorage is usually warmer than Chicago during the winter. It get close to 100 in the summer up there, even as far north as Fairbanks. It is out of this world beautiful.

Get up there ASAP! You won't regret it.

According to this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchorage%2C_Alaska#Climate), it has never even reached 100 degrees in Anchorage. In fact, the all-time high is 92, with average summer temperatures in the 60's. I'd still love to go.

chisoxfanatic
09-18-2007, 10:58 PM
Why are you skeptical?
I have absolutely no REAL skepticism here...Just making a PLAIN joke, or I wouldn't have emphasized Alaska being "al-ask-a." Man, this is a tough friggen room! :rolleyes:

DumpJerry
09-18-2007, 11:03 PM
According to this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchorage%2C_Alaska#Climate), it has never even reached 100 degrees in Anchorage. In fact, the all-time high is 92, with average summer temperatures in the 60's. I'd still love to go.
I read many books (more reliable than Wikipedia) which mention that Fairbanks has the widest tempurature swing in the country from Winter lows to Summer highs. Several sources also mention it reaches the upper 90's regularly during the summer. Ask your friend in Anchorage, she might be the best source.

By the way, don't go there in July or August. Rains a lot, and the mosquitos are legendary. Mid-May through late June and September are the best times to get there. I'm looking at skiing (Girdwood) there this March when the temps are around 32 and the daylight is already longer than anything down here.

ilsox7
09-18-2007, 11:06 PM
I read many books (more reliable than Wikipedia) which mention that Fairbanks has the widest tempurature swing in the country from Winter lows to Summer highs. Several sources also mention it reaches the upper 90's regularly during the summer. Ask your friend in Anchorage, she might be the best source.

By the way, don't go there in July or August. Rains a lot, and the mosquitos are legendary. Mid-May through late June and September are the best times to get there. I'm looking at skiing (Girdwood) there this March when the temps are around 32 and the daylight is already longer than anything down here.

Temperature doesn't mean much to me. It looks gorgeous up there. It's on my list of places to go. A few spots below Russia, but still on my list.

TDog
09-19-2007, 12:39 AM

Around March 21, there is as much daylight in Alaska as there is in Chicago or Los Angeles or Key West. The days are longer in Alaska between the vernal and autmnal equinoxes. The days are shorter between the autmnal equinox and the vernal equinox. The same can be said for Milwaukee in relation to Chicago.

In Southeast Alaska (where you go if you go on an Alaskan), it rains just about every day, except on days when it's cold enough to snow. For three years I lived in a neighborhood that took its name from it's prominent feature, the Mendenhall Glacier. Except for a very warm June when for a solid week highs topped 80 degrees, the Juneau weather was generally about the same ast he weather in Reykjavik, Iceland. And Juneau is not nearly as much fun as Reykjavik. I would much rather have spent three years in Reykjavik, although it is one of the few places on the planet where a meal out cost would be more expenive than it would be in Juneau.

My first day in Juneau, I bought a pizza at Bullwinkle's. It was a disappointing pizza, after living for four years in suburban Milwaukee and frequently visiting the Chicago area. By the time I left Juneau, Bullwinkle's made great pizza. Such were the deterioration of my pizza standards.

DumpJerry
09-19-2007, 07:06 AM
Temperature doesn't mean much to me. It looks gorgeous up there. It's on my list of places to go. A few spots below Russia, but still on my list.
It's real easy to get there from here. Alaska Airlines has a non-stop every day to Anchorage. The Anchorage airport is a huge place where trans-Pacific traffic lays over.

nsolo
09-19-2007, 07:19 AM

You wouldn't have to demand it. The Cubs game, most likely, would already be on.

Fenway
09-19-2007, 08:30 AM
Regarding Uno's: The Uno's out side of Chicago are not "real" Uno's in that they are franchises, not company owned. They are not allowed to use the same pizza recipie that the Chicago Uno's uses, that is why the non-Chicago Uno Pizza really blows. They are just taking advantage of the Chicago connection on unsuspecting non-Chicago people.

I happened to be in Uno's last night and mentioned to the manager what you said. He says you are partly correct.

Uno and Due in Chicago are still allowed a longer prep time that the other stores and also use fresher vegetables.

There are some franchises but the majority of stores in the US are company owned and run out of Boston.

http://www.unos.com/timeline.html

Aaron Spencer tasted Uno's on a visit to Chicago and convinced Ike Sewel to allow him to bring the concept outside of Chicago. Spencer had made a fortune in the 60's by befriending Colonel Sanders and getting the franchise rights to New England and New York City for KFC. He sold that 10 years later and started Uno's.

DumpJerry
09-19-2007, 11:52 AM
Uno and Due in Chicago are still allowed a longer prep time that the other stores and also use fresher vegetables.
:o:
Is it really that hard to get fresh vegies?

ws05champs
09-19-2007, 07:12 PM
I am tempted to go up and visit just to see if she is right. Hell, I'd love to go to Alaska anyways. She keeps insisting that everything is not made of ice there, which has disappointed me. :D:

My wife and I visited Alaska a few years ago. We did a cruise on a small boat (about a 90 footer with no sleeping cabins on board) from Ketchikan to Juneau. It was the best vacation in my life. I always tell people that you can point your camera in any direction and come up with the most breath-taking photograph you have ever seen.

TDog
09-19-2007, 07:40 PM
My wife and I visited Alaska a few years ago. We did a cruise on a small boat (about a 90 footer with no sleeping cabins on board) from Ketchikan to Juneau. It was the best vacation in my life. I always tell people that you can point your camera in any direction and come up with the most breath-taking photograph you have ever seen.

As guilty as I feel for continuing this thread hijack ...

A lot of people say that. And I would prefer the small boats over the ocean liners, about four or five of which are docked daily in Juneau throughout the summer. I've gone out on small boats to the Tracy Arm fjord and the Sawyer Glacier south of Juneau and other placed in the area. I didn't take as many pictures as I probably should have when I lived there. You get so busy that you just aren't motivated. But when you live there, it's not all about scenery, especially when your job is on the gritty side. In all honesty, I only applied for the job in Alaska because I wanted to go up there for the job interview at someone else's expense.

One summer evening when I was driving home in bright sunlight, I stopped at Fred Meyer to pick up a couple of things for dinner. I wish I had my camera. When I walked back to my car, there was, in the next space, a huge bald eagle eating the garbage from a McDonald's bag someone had tossed aside. It stared at me, bread hanging from his beak, and I stared at him. And I thought, ain't that America.

It's much nicer to see the eagles feeding on salmon, the bears foraging in the woods instead of raiding dumpsters, and the humpback whales displaying their flukes before diving deep into the Inside Passage waters.

Ex-Chicagoan
09-19-2007, 08:38 PM

The one here in Grand Rapids doesn't taste a whole lot different to me; then again, Uno's was never my first choice. Now, if we could get an Aurelio's here...

Back to the topic - sort of - at a bar tonight, with one chirpy Cub fan clapping way too loudly each time they scored. 90% of the bar looked with scorn.

ilsox7
09-19-2007, 10:49 PM
When I walked back to my car, there was, in the next space, a huge bald eagle eating the garbage from a McDonald's bag someone had tossed aside.

That's one of the coolest images I can imagine.

peeonwrigley
09-19-2007, 11:30 PM
When I walked back to my car, there was, in the next space, a huge bald eagle eating the garbage from a McDonald's bag someone had tossed aside. It stared at me, bread hanging from his beak, and I stared at him.

America, **** yeah?