PDA

View Full Version : Bill Madden: Reign of Ozzie continues

Fenway
09-17-2007, 08:54 AM
Bill Madden looks at the state of the White Sox

Another problem is the absence of anything coming in the near future from the farm system other than perhaps Rutherford, N.J., righty Jack Egbert, who had a breakthrough year at Double-A. It was the failure of the farm system that prompted the fiercely loyal Reinsdorf to give Williams the okay to fire longtime scouting director Duane Shaffer. Now it's on Williams to rebuild this team in a hurry.

He also predicts the Twins will no longer be a factor with Ryan leaving.

Terry Ryan's departure spells doom in Minnesota (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2007/09/16/2007-09-16_gm_terry_ryans_departure_spells_doom_in_.html)

Hitmen77
09-17-2007, 09:34 AM
In addition to Egbert, there is also Gio Gonzalez and Ryan Sweeney who have promise. In addition, he says that the Sox need a new 2B - but I think Danny Richar is showing promise and is a good candidate for our starting 2B next year.

Other than that, I generally agree with his assessment that the Sox problem is lack of player development. Teams just cannot fill every hole through trades and free agency.

voodoochile
09-17-2007, 09:38 AM
In addition to Egbert, there is also Gio Gonzalez and Ryan Sweeney who have promise. In addition, he says that the Sox need a new 2B - but I think Danny Richar is showing promise and is a good candidate for our starting 2B next year.

Other than that, I generally agree with his assessment that the Sox problem is lack of player development. Team just cannot fill every hole through trades and free agency.

Fields and Owens aren't on the list because they are playing for the major league club too. It simply boggles the mind when people claim the minors are low on talent and ignore the guys who have been called up this season who are showing promise or actually performing well.

Edit: Any team who calls up 3 position players, 2 starting pitchers (including Danks) and several relievers would have an understocked minor league system or at least a less well stocked system.

SBSoxFan
09-17-2007, 09:51 AM
Fields and Owens aren't on the list because they are playing for the major league club too. It simply boggles the mind when people claim the minors are low on talent and ignore the guys who have been called up this season who are showing promise or actually performing well.

Edit: Any team who calls up 3 position players, 2 starting pitchers (including Danks) and several relievers would have an understocked minor league system or at least a less well stocked system.

Maybe Egbert is the only one from the east coast, hence, the only one who could possibly contribute? :dunno: