PDA

View Full Version : Positives about the 2007 season

DumpJerry
09-16-2007, 11:58 PM
Ok, this is to list the positives coming out of the 2007 season. Hopefully this will cheer us up. I'm sure one of our notorious permanently pessimistic members will start an opposite thread about the negatives from this season or try to hijack this thread in that direction. Whatever..

Here we go (in no particular order):
1. Burl's no-no
2. Burl's contract extension.
3. Jenks' 41 consecutive outs streak.
4. Jenks' performance in general.
5. A June call-up (Josh Fields) leading AL rookies in home runs.
6. Thome's 500th.
7. A whole lot of AAA and bench players getting a ton of major league experience.
8. Nobody died.
9. Dye's contract extension.
10. Ehren Wassermann.
11. The collapse of the Minnesota Twins. They are now the guppies.
12. Javy Vazquez.

What else should be on list?

esbrechtel
09-17-2007, 12:05 AM
Floyd and Danks have pitched pretty well....

A. Cavatica
09-17-2007, 12:05 AM
8. Nobody died.

Who are you calling pessimistic? :?:

DumpJerry
09-17-2007, 12:22 AM
Who are you calling pessimistic? :?:
I always thought no deaths was a good thing.......

eriqjaffe
09-17-2007, 12:24 AM
13. It turned out that Juan Uribe didn't shoot anybody.

BV2005
09-17-2007, 01:22 AM
Ozzie's extention?

upperdeckusc
09-17-2007, 01:22 AM
14. This can only light a fire under our ass so we come out with a vengeance for next yr and perform considerably better. No way in hell can we do any worse.

JB98
09-17-2007, 01:49 AM
Here's my list:
1. A rebound year for Buehrle, which included a no-hitter
2. A more consistent Javy Vazquez
3. 38 saves from Jenks, that's more than half our wins
4. Fields has shown potential
5. Wassermann has capitalized on his opportunity
6. Danks looks like a keeper
7. Great individual accomplishments for Buehrle, Thome and Jenks

That is all.

soxstarter
09-17-2007, 03:00 AM
Great to see a thread that is not dark cloud!

Let's not forget the acquistion of Richar! He looked pretty good today. :D:

IlliniSox4Life
09-17-2007, 04:28 AM
#. Frank Thomas' 500th home run - It's at the bottom of the list, but a lot (I know, I know, not ALL of you are Frank fans) of White Sox fans still enjoyed seeing this happen.

Frater Perdurabo
09-17-2007, 07:07 AM
:threadrules:

Myrtle72
09-17-2007, 07:32 AM
Ozzie's extention?

:(:

That's certainly not on my list.

The highest point for me was definitely the Burls no-no. I think that's because it came early enough in the season for me to think that was the turning point, got my hopes up pretty high.

And that was kind of nice.

spiffie
09-17-2007, 09:33 AM
Another year has come and gone, and no one on our team tested positive for anything illegal.

Domeshot17
09-17-2007, 10:06 AM
AJ-Buehrle-DJ + ????? all had children, so congrats to them for that.

The Immigrant
09-17-2007, 10:15 AM
2008 couldn't possibly be any worse.

FoulkeFan
09-17-2007, 10:18 AM
This is going to sound hokey, but a positive for me is just realizing that I love baseball - even when the Sox aren't in it. I was at the games Wednesday, Friday & Saturday this week and all the fans there were into the game and having a great time. It was great to see Pods throw a runner out at the plate. It was exciting to watch AJ get to third while the Angels booted the ball around. It was great seeing Fields (sort of) throw out a runner at second. It was fantastic to see all the flashes go off and all the fans in the stands get up every time Thome came up to bat.

I'd been moping around so long I forgot that baseball is fun even when the postseason is nowhere near being a possibility. Don't get me wrong - I'd MUCH rather have the Sox to be in the race (no kool-aid drinking here), but it's still fun to watch.

DumpJerry
09-17-2007, 11:35 AM
AJ-Buehrle-DJ + ????? all had children, so congrats to them for that.
Andrea Thome is 6 months pregnant.

salty99
09-17-2007, 11:37 AM
Aaron Rowand's, Willie Harris' and Magg's amazing years along with a great Sept. by TIMOOOOO!

cheezheadsoxfan
09-17-2007, 11:51 AM
This is going to sound hokey, but a positive for me is just realizing that I love baseball - even when the Sox aren't in it. I was at the games Wednesday, Friday & Saturday this week and all the fans there were into the game and having a great time. It was great to see Pods throw a runner out at the plate. It was exciting to watch AJ get to third while the Angels booted the ball around. It was great seeing Fields (sort of) throw out a runner at second. It was fantastic to see all the flashes go off and all the fans in the stands get up every time Thome came up to bat.

I'd been moping around so long I forgot that baseball is fun even when the postseason is nowhere near being a possibility. Don't get me wrong - I'd MUCH rather have the Sox to be in the race (no kool-aid drinking here), but it's still fun to watch.

Nicely put, I totally agree.

A positive for me is seeing my daughter (17) become a die-hard. I was wondering how she would handle the let down after the WS but she's hooked. Checks the scores, wears her Sox gear and on her My Space has "I'm a die-hard White Sox fan even tho they suck this year". I feel like I've done my job as a mother.:cool:

Lip Man 1
09-17-2007, 11:53 AM
On the field:

Buehrle's no hitter, Jenks retires 41 straight, Thome's 500th.

That's it.

Off the field:

Ozzie extended five years.

That's it.

Let a busy, productive and bold off season begin.

Lip

Hitmen77
09-17-2007, 12:04 PM
On the field:

Buehrle's no hitter, Jenks retires 41 straight, Thome's 500th.

That's it.

Off the field:

Ozzie extended five years.

That's it.

Let a busy, productive and bold off season begin.

Lip

What about Buehrle extended for 4 years?

INSox56
09-17-2007, 12:15 PM
These are for-the-future positives:

1. Vazquez performing to near-potential for most of the season.
2. Buehrle gaining it back after last year.
3. Jenks continually showing that 05 was no fluke.
4. Floyd showing good signs at times (even if only in starts), same with Fields (except his D in left :(:)

eastchicagosoxfan
09-17-2007, 12:28 PM
We have learned, beyond a shadow of doubt, that Andy Gonzalez is not an MLB caliber third basemen.

Seriously, with the demotion of Brian Anderson, the players in the organization learned that hustle, hard work, and dedication will get you farther than talent alone with the Sox and Ozzie Guillen. As bad as Gonzalez has been at third base, and he makes Alan Bannister at short look like Ozzie Smith, the guy hasn't thrown in the towel. If he had, he wouldn't be out there.

chisoxmike
09-17-2007, 12:49 PM
-Buehrle coming back to form this year, also his no-no which I was lucky enough to see in person. Also, his contract extension.

- Thome's 500th home run. Just awesome. I hope he finishes his career with the Sox, and hopefully, get him a ring before he retires.

-Jenks not sucking like our closers usually do after a year or so on the South Side.

-Josh Fields and John Danks making impressive debuts in a White Sox uniform.

- Continued fun at Sox games this year (even though the team blows) with friends like Chips, The Dude, robiwho, skottyj, jenn2080, itsnotrequired, pdimas, and many others.

UserNameBlank
09-17-2007, 01:20 PM
We have learned, beyond a shadow of doubt, that Andy Gonzalez is not an MLB caliber third basemen.

Seriously, with the demotion of Brian Anderson, the players in the organization learned that hustle, hard work, and dedication will get you farther than talent alone with the Sox and Ozzie Guillen. As bad as Gonzalez has been at third base, and he makes Alan Bannister at short look like Ozzie Smith, the guy hasn't thrown in the towel. If he had, he wouldn't be out there.
When was Anderson dogging it? He was demoted because he'll never out-grind Erstad. Also he frequents gets into fights with the coaching staff's children. As we all know, if we don't have 14 different Guillens in the dugout we're screwed, so we had better protect every single one of them. Anderson had to go because he was too evil, so evil in fact that his own saintly hitting coach publicly admitted to not wanting to help fix his problems at the plate during the 2006 season.

You are right. Andy Gonzalez hasn't thrown in the towel. He mailed it in instead along with the rest of his throws to first base. What's he supposed to do? Go up to Ozzie and say, "gee boss, I really suck rotten eggs. Why don't you take me out and sit me forever because I'm obviously not a Major League baseball player?"

I'm sick of hearing words like "hustle," "heart," and "grinder." People attach those words to ballplayers for the same reason they spray Lysol in the bathroom after a Mexican dinner, and that is to cover up the ****ty smell. You never hear about how much Carlos Beltran "grinds," you never hear about how much "heart" Albert Pujols has, and you never hear about how Jose Reyes really "hustles" around the bases. Let's get some players in here who don't suck. We're shouldn't be trying to write some inspirational story how Darin Erstad saved the world, we should be trying to win a damn division and make the playoffs.

Maybe Anderson isn't the best hitter around, but if we're going to be putting someone on the field we might as well put someone like him out there because at least underneath that horrible approach at the plate he's a terrific CF with some power potential. And if we don't want to run his ass out there fine, but get someone who is better now or has a greater shot at being better in the future. No more of this heart-warming overachiever crap.

Vestigio
09-17-2007, 02:45 PM
From a certain point of view, receiving a Top 5 draft pick could be a positive.

October26
09-17-2007, 02:57 PM
Nicely put, I totally agree.

A positive for me is seeing my daughter (17) become a die-hard. I was wondering how she would handle the let down after the WS but she's hooked. Checks the scores, wears her Sox gear and on her My Space has "I'm a die-hard White Sox fan even tho they suck this year". I feel like I've done my job as a mother.:cool:

Kudos to you! I have a 16 year old daughter who goes to HS in the middle of flubsville up here on the North Side of Chicago. She is also hooked. She follows the games when she's not doing home work, wears her Sox stuff and enjoys going to games when we get tickets. We've been to some doozie lossess this year :(: (like the Sunday game when the Flubs swept us at home, the Mark Buerhle loss to Baltimore when the Sox were winning at the end of the game and Twins double header sweep). I was thinking that she would lose interest in this miserable season, but much to my surprise and pleasure, she's hooked. Tells me she's a Sox fan for life! I couldn't be happier or prouder.

Oh, and my other positive of the 2007 season was the day they announced the Mark Buerhle extension. I was in my back yard listening to the end of that game on the radio and they said that Buerhle's contract was extended. I was so happy!:smile:

WhiteSoxJunkie
09-17-2007, 03:25 PM
Another positive would be that we still average over 30,000 a game despite a terrible record.

GoSox2K3
09-17-2007, 06:17 PM
When was Anderson dogging it? He was demoted because he'll never out-grind Erstad. Also he frequents alternative lifestyle bars ....

:o:

(Not that there's anything wrong with it.)

kaufsox
09-17-2007, 11:24 PM
It's almost over :D:

Tragg
09-17-2007, 11:41 PM
Here's my list:
1. A rebound year for Buehrle, which included a no-hitter
2. A more consistent Javy Vazquez
3. 38 saves from Jenks, that's more than half our wins
4. Fields has shown potential
5. Wassermann has capitalized on his opportunity
6. Danks looks like a keeper
7. Great individual accomplishments for Buehrle, Thome and Jenks

That is all.
8. Signing MB
9. I think Richar's a keeper. Bad position in the batting order, he's hit reasonably okay (needs to get that OBP up; power is pretty good). He should hit 2nd.
10. A lot of young Sox pitchers pitched well. Although no one but me seems to like him, Floyd's been really good lately. Now if the Sox would just be sure to use the young pitchers instead of signing (or worse - trading for) more veteran mediocrities.... Or trade some of them, and acquire a young CF who can hit.

34 Inch Stick
09-18-2007, 11:32 AM
I'm kind of suprised no one has said Jerry Owens 28 steals. They do kind of sneak up on you.

ws05champs
09-18-2007, 06:29 PM
Finally realized the farm system needed some changes and fired the scouting director.

Chicken Dinner
09-18-2007, 07:02 PM
Crede finally having surgery so we don't have to watch Andy G. play 3rd anymore after this season. :o:

Flight #24
09-18-2007, 10:45 PM
It's small consolation, and I'm not convinced it actually means anything, but Gavin Floyd's put together 4 straight quality starts with a total 24 1/3 IP, 3.32ERA, 1.36 WHIP, and a 2.86 K/BB. That's a huge improvement for him and if he could sustain anything close to that level, would make him a very good 5th starter.

Also, with Jose having put together a decent run here at the end, he may just become tradable without the Sox eating too much of his deal and thereby freeing up cash.

It's not much, but it's something to use for '08. That on top of Burls, Jenks, Richar, Fields.

The Dude
09-19-2007, 09:59 PM
Here are the positive players from this season:

Javy Vazquez - Became our ace and most consistent pitcher.
Jim Thome - Leads the team in average, hit his 500th, best team player we have.
Bobby Jenks - **** ton of saves, streak, MVP of team.
Josh Fields- Most productive rookie, lots of power.
Mark Buehrle- Has struggled at times but showed loyalty and dedication. Still pitches pretty damn well.
and last but certainly not least....
The Dude - On getting his #4000th post on WSI. What a great poster!:bandance::gulp:

Frontman
09-19-2007, 10:35 PM
Ozzie's extention?

I agree with that.

kevin57
09-19-2007, 11:10 PM
Thanks, folks, for these positives! Before reading them, I would have listed only about three things...but there are no fewer than ten I can name to lift the spirit.

chisox77
09-20-2007, 03:10 PM
*MB's no hitter
*MB's contract extension
*Thome's 500th homerun
*Dye's contract extension
*Ozzie's contract extension
*Field's power/production
*Richar's play
*Great sustained attendance at Sox games
*Resources and some leverage to make the offseason productive for dramatic comeback in 2008
*Being a White Sox fan

:cool:

Bucky F. Dent
09-20-2007, 11:29 PM
On the field: Buehrle's no hitter, Jenks 41 straight, Thome's 500th, Fields, Richar Massett and Danks got significant major league experience.

Off the field Buehrle and Guillen got extensions.

Busy, Busy, Busy off season upcoming for Kenny!!!!!

southsidemomma
09-21-2007, 12:54 AM
Ok, this is to list the positives coming out of the 2007 season. Hopefully this will cheer us up. I'm sure one of our notorious permanently pessimistic members will start an opposite thread about the negatives from this season or try to hijack this thread in that direction. Whatever..

Here we go (in no particular order):
1. Burl's no-no
2. Burl's contract extension.
3. Jenks' 41 consecutive outs streak.
4. Jenks' performance in general.
5. A June call-up (Josh Fields) leading AL rookies in home runs.
6. Thome's 500th.
7. A whole lot of AAA and bench players getting a ton of major league experience.
8. Nobody died.
9. Dye's contract extension.
10. Ehren Wassermann.
11. The collapse of the Minnesota Twins. They are now the guppies.
12. Javy Vazquez.

What else should be on list?

Well..I'm not sure.. but 1, 6, 8 and 11 are good enough for me :-D