PDA

View Full Version : Guy Who Caught Thome's 500th

SoxandtheCityTee
09-16-2007, 10:57 PM
. . . was from out of town and donated the 2008 Sox season tickets he got (in return for the ball) to Thome's charity. What a nice prize and what a nice guy.

esbrechtel
09-16-2007, 11:04 PM
what is the deal with out of towners catching historic HR balls? There are 20 some thousand Chicagoians and one Texan...what are the chances:dunno:

HomeFish
09-16-2007, 11:41 PM
I heard he was from Baltimore, but was somehow a Rangers/Astros fan.

chisoxmike
09-16-2007, 11:42 PM

I heard the same thing.

oeo
09-16-2007, 11:44 PM

I believe what the guy said was that he's from the Maryland area and grew up an Orioles fan, but currently resides in Austin, TX. :dunno:

Dont Stop Belivn
09-16-2007, 11:51 PM
I believe what the guy said was that he's from the Maryland area and grew up an Orioles fan, but currently resides in Austin, TX. :dunno:

thats exactly right. he was in town for a accounting conference

MarkZ35
09-16-2007, 11:57 PM
Of all the people that would have loved to catch that ball and received the season tickets. But at least he donated them to Thome's charity.

HomeFish
09-17-2007, 12:11 AM
what is the deal with out of towners catching historic HR balls? There are 20 some thousand Chicagoians and one Texan...what are the chances:dunno:

I dunno, but the only time I've ever caught a ball at a baseball game was when I was an out of towner at an Astros/Brewers game. Maybe there's some magic to it.

KRS1
09-17-2007, 12:45 AM
What a class act. I can honestly say I wouldn't have done the same. However good a person I could convince myself I was, I would have asked for lifetime season tickets. Nothing outrageous like scout seats or a skybox, just some good baseline seats for me and a friend. I don't think that is being too greedy, is it?

Nellie_Fox
09-17-2007, 12:52 AM
I don't think that is being too greedy, is it?Yes.

KRS1
09-17-2007, 12:58 AM
Yes.

I don't see why. It's not like it's extortion or anything. Jim is a great guy, and he does wonderful things for the community, but he makes more money in a year than I will in my lifetime. No one here is a saint, and I just don't see how asking for a so-called drop in the pool to Jim, for giving up something valuable is being greedy.

MUsoxfan
09-17-2007, 12:58 AM
I don't think that is being too greedy, is it?

Yes.

Certainly you'd want 4 tickets, and not 2. We'll put the average price per ticket over say the next 25 years of your life at $65. So say you live for 25 years, you'd want classy guy like Thome to shell out about $533,000 for his HR ball.

:rolleyes:

KRS1
09-17-2007, 01:03 AM
Yes.

Certainly you'd want 4 tickets, and not 2. We'll put the average price per ticket over say the next 25 years of your life at $65. So say you live for 25 years, you'd want classy guy like Thome to shell out about $533,000 for his HR ball.

I said two tickets. I would just as soon keep it on my mantle with my other Sox stuff as a memory that would last my lifetime, than give it up for a single year of free baseball. I guess lifetime is a bit excessive, but a year of season tickets really wouldn't mean that much to me compared to the baseball itself.

Nellie_Fox
09-17-2007, 01:03 AM
I don't see why. It's not like it's extortion or anything. Jim is a great guy, and he does wonderful things for the community, but he makes more money in a year than I will in my lifetime. No one here is a saint, and I just don't see how asking for a so-called drop in the pool to Jim, for giving up something valuable is being greedy.A lifetime pair of tickets for a ball? Just how much do you think Thome's 500th ball is really worth on the open market?

Edit: I'm not going to start arguing this. Since you don't have it, it's really a moot point.

ilsox7
09-17-2007, 01:06 AM
Yes.

Agreed. I would have given it up for nothing. Since they were offering a nice package, I guess I'd say a pair of tickets to the Scout Seats for my dad and I (one game) and maybe having a beer with Jim would have been my two requests if I were so lucky. It'd mean a LOT more to me to honor Jim than to have some baseball that is meaningless to me on my mantle.

ilsox7
Yes.

Imagine the taxes!

KRS1
A lifetime pair of tickets for a ball? Just how much do you think Thome's 500th ball is really worth on the open market?

It's not that I am trying to exploit the sentimental value of it to Jim, but more of wanting what I feel would equal it's sentimental value to me. I certainly don't think it will see $500,000 or anything close, but I don't see it being worth only a year of baseball.

KRS1
09-17-2007, 01:12 AM
It'd mean a LOT more to me to honor Jim than to have some baseball that is meaningless to me on my mantle.

I don't see how one could get no meaning from having such a great memory for the rest of your life, and pass it down to someone else who can have the memories.

ilsox7
09-17-2007, 01:14 AM
I don't see how one could get no meaning from having such a great memory for the rest of your life, and pass it down to someone else who can have the memories.

I'd rather pass down the story that I caught the ball, had a chance to shake Jim's hand, and allowed him to have in his possession one of the crowning achievements of his career.

Jim is a terrific person and deserves as much, IMO.

itsnotrequired
09-17-2007, 06:28 AM
I would have taken 2008 season tickets in a heartbeat had I got the ball. Maybe some autographed stuff as well. I certainly wouldn't have asked for anything (unless he wanted me to ask).

A lifetime of season tickets? Might as well ask him to come over and help you re-roof your house.

"Now Jim, do have a good set of work gloves?"

Myrtle72
09-17-2007, 06:35 AM
I would have loved even one season of seats. Not everyone can afford them, you know. :wink:

WizardsofOzzie
09-17-2007, 08:29 AM
I'd rather pass down the story that I caught the ball, had a chance to shake Jim's hand, and allowed him to have in his possession one of the crowning achievements of his career.

Jim is a terrific person and deserves as much, IMO.
This is more along the lines of what I was thinking. Maybe a signed baseball and a picture with him, and I'd be a happy camper

Domeshot17
09-17-2007, 09:00 AM
Joking with Friends I said I would have asked him for about 20k to pay for my wedding, trade 1 lifelong memory for another. Him and his wife would get an invite tho :cool:.

jabrch
09-17-2007, 09:04 AM
What a great story...

In an era when there are so many greedy bastards trying to milk everything for every last penny, it is awesome to see classy guys like Jim, and the guy who caught the ball do the right things.

HerzogVon
09-17-2007, 09:08 AM
How about just asking him to get angry once and awhile? Maybe punch out a Cub - or one of their fans - next season? :smile:

ondafarm
09-17-2007, 09:10 AM
If I caught it I would have asked to give it back to him in person, shake his hand and say Congratulations. That's all. Maybe I'd ask him to autograph a different ball for me which I would keep on the mantle.

itsnotrequired
09-17-2007, 09:13 AM
How about just asking him to get angry once and awhile? Maybe punch out a Cub - or one of their fans - next season? :smile:

Maybe he could take a dump on the lawn of some neighbor you are having problems with.

iamkoza
09-17-2007, 09:19 AM
What a great story...

In an era when there are so many greedy bastards trying to milk everything for every last penny, it is awesome to see classy guys like Jim, and the guy who caught the ball do the right things.

i agree, the only reason i signed on here was to comment on what a nice story this was, i would have given the ball back also, but would have been greedy and kept the season tickets... of course, i believe the man fromt exas would have kept them too had he lived in the area, but either way, good stuff

itsnotrequired
09-17-2007, 09:31 AM
i agree, the only reason i signed on here was to comment on what a nice story this was, i would have given the ball back also, but would have been greedy and kept the season tickets... of course, i believe the man fromt exas would have kept them too had he lived in the area, but either way, good stuff

Thome GAVE him the tickets. It isn't like that fan asked for them or demanded them or something like that. How is it greedy to accept a gift?

I suppose the fan could have kept the tickets and just thrown them all up on the Ticket Exchange. But he took the high road and gave them to Thome's charity. Thome didn't have to give them to him and the guy didn't have to get them back. Awesome story though.

soxfan13
09-17-2007, 09:58 AM
The guy is also getting Thomes suite for one of the Sox/Cubs games next year and the White Sox are flying him and his friends into town for the date that he choses. The White Sox and Thome IMO handled this as classy as one could.:gulp:

Walker29
09-17-2007, 11:37 AM
I would have graciously accepted anything the Sox and Thome offered me for the ball. But I also would have accepted the honor of hand delivering the ball to Mr. Incredible himself and shaking his hand as reciprocation. The gentleman that caught the ball is from out of town, he didn't really have use for season tickets. Congrats Big Jim! My dad,bro and wife switched over from the Bears game just in time! AWESOME!

upperdeckusc
09-17-2007, 12:20 PM
Are the '08 season tickets all Thome gave to the guy? I kept hearing on interviews that Thome was going to "put a lot of thought" into the package for the lucky person to catch the ball. Season tickets are great, don't get me wrong, but I don't see much creativity or thought in it. Maybe there was more involved that I don't know about...

WizardsofOzzie
09-17-2007, 12:26 PM
is the 08 season tickets all thome gave to the guy? i kept hearing on interviews that thome was going to "put alot of thought" into the package for the lucky person to catch the ball. season tickets are great, dont get me wrong, but i dont see much creativity or thought into it. maybe there was more involved that i dont know about...

That's alot more than I expected. I figured you'd just get to meet him and he's sign you an autograph or something, which the guy probably got to do anyways. Season tickets on top of it, IMO is a great deal for the guy

jenn2080
09-17-2007, 12:50 PM
is the 08 season tickets all thome gave to the guy? i kept hearing on interviews that thome was going to "put alot of thought" into the package for the lucky person to catch the ball. season tickets are great, dont get me wrong, but i dont see much creativity or thought into it. maybe there was more involved that i dont know about...

Uh I think that is pretty damn good.

salty99
09-17-2007, 01:31 PM

As has been mentioned several times already, he also gets Jim Thome's suite for a sox/cubs game with flight included. Jim also gave him some signed items.

thomas35forever
09-17-2007, 01:53 PM
A classy player's homer caught by a classy fan. Couldn't have happened in a better way. Thome deserves whatever comes out of his career because he's a big hitter with a big heart.

pearso66
09-17-2007, 05:17 PM
If I caught it I would have asked to give it back to him in person, shake his hand and say Congratulations. That's all. Maybe I'd ask him to autograph a different ball for me which I would keep on the mantle.

We were at the game Saturday, and the exact words I told my brother were "If I caught the ball, the only thing I'd ask for would be to personally hand him the ball." That's funny others said the same thing.

diehardRLsoxfan
09-17-2007, 05:31 PM
I would just like to give kudos to all of the fans in the area where the ball was caught. There was no ridiculous mob action or pushing and shoving after the guy caught the ball. I thought that reflected very well on us as White Sox fans.

Ex-Chicagoan
09-17-2007, 05:41 PM
Any word yet as to whether or not they will fly this guy to Cleveland so the idiots there can boo him?

dickallen15
09-17-2007, 05:42 PM
If I caught the ball, I certainly would have taken the package. Maybe it would be more noble just to hand him the ball and shake his hand, but the package is worth approximately $10-12k, or about what Thome gets paid an inning. Its no skin off his back.

DC Sox Fan
09-17-2007, 07:14 PM
I dunno, but the only time I've ever caught a ball at a baseball game was when I was an out of towner at an Astros/Brewers game. Maybe there's some magic to it.

I really think there might be. My only time catching a foul was when I was in KC and went to a Royals/Rangers tilt on the spur of the moment with some co-workers and Kevin Mench nearly decapitated me before I snagged it. When he was warming up in the field the next inning he yelled "nice catch". Hey, it's KC... small crowds= good seats.

ChiSoxGirl
09-17-2007, 09:03 PM
I just would've loved the honor of handing Thome the ball after such a wonderful accomplishment; he's one of the nicest, most genuine guys in the game. If he insisted on giving me something in return, I'd take a photo opp. with him, an autographed baseball, or the chance to Congratulate him in person and chat him up for a few minutes.

It's Dankerific
09-18-2007, 01:56 PM
I am pretty sure I would have asked to be with the team for a day. eat the tasty food in the clubhouse and then watch the game from the dugout. That would have been something really special for me and really cheap for the sox/thome

ilsox7
09-18-2007, 01:59 PM
I am pretty sure I would have asked to be with the team for a day. eat the tasty food in the clubhouse and then watch the game from the dugout. That would have been something really special for me and really cheap for the sox/thome

I'm pretty certain that is against MLB rules.

Nellie_Fox
09-18-2007, 02:00 PM
I'm pretty certain that is against MLB rules.I was just about to say the same thing.

ilsox7
09-18-2007, 02:04 PM
I was just about to say the same thing.

In fact, I don't think players can even be in the dugout unless they are in full uniform. I also doubt the Sox would grant full access to their clubhouse to someone unless it was for a Make-A-Wish Foundation type thing.

It's Dankerific
I didnt know that was against the rules, but thats seems unfair. maybe one of the players could have adopted me first so i could spend the game there. (or sign me to a minor league contract, its september!) (and of course donate the money back to the charity).

ilsox7
I didnt know that was against the rules, but thats seems unfair. maybe one of the players could have adopted me first so i could spend the game there. (or sign me to a minor league contract, its september!) (and of course donate the money back to the charity).

Players' kids are also not allowed in the dugout.

itsnotrequired
09-18-2007, 02:06 PM

Maybe they could set up a POV camera in the dugout and you could "watch" the action from the clubhouse. They could even have some old major leaguers or some of the cleaning staff sit next to you, ignoring you the entire time. Then you would get the full dugout experience.

WizardsofOzzie
09-18-2007, 02:06 PM
Players' kids are also not allowed in the dugout.
That's the Dusty rule isn't it?

ilsox7
09-18-2007, 02:07 PM
That's the Dusty rule isn't it?

Pretty sure it is.

It's Dankerific
09-18-2007, 02:09 PM
I'm sure if they were motivated they could hire you as _Somebody_ who could be there, assistant to the assistant gatorade guy.

ilsox7
09-18-2007, 02:10 PM
I'm sure if they were motivated they could hire you as _Somebody_ who could be there, assistant to the assistant gatorade guy.

Honestly, it seems pretty unreasonable to me.

Nellie_Fox
09-18-2007, 02:20 PM
Honestly, it seems pretty unreasonable to me.I suspect that the rule was passed to relieve the clubs of having to deal with the pressure from politically-connected people, owners' friends, etc. "Gee, if it was up to me, I'd let you, but MLB doesn't permit it." Just imagine how many "big-timers" would be trying to weasel a seat in the dugout just so they could say they've been there.

ilsox7
09-18-2007, 02:22 PM
I suspect that the rule was passed to relieve the clubs of having to deal with the pressure from politically-connected people, owners' friends, etc. "Gee, if it was up to me, I would, but MLB doesn't permit it." Just imagine how many "big-timers" would be trying to weasel a seat in the dugout just so they could say they've been there.

Yep. And in reality, the Scout Seats are a better place to watch the actual game. But the allure if sitting among the players is something people would pay a LOT for or call in big time favors to do.

I expect the Red Sox to be the first team to bastardize the process and find a way around the rules. I am sure Coach Bill from the Pats has some ideas to cheat the system they could use.

It's Dankerific
09-18-2007, 02:25 PM
Honestly, it seems pretty unreasonable to me.

I didnt realize that what I suggested would be so difficult. For me, the point I was trying to make, is that I would have asked for something unique and something memorable with the White Sox (not "expensive" or a dollar amount), not anything that I could have simply paid for myself.

Maybe just a statue... =)

WizardsofOzzie
09-18-2007, 02:26 PM
I didnt realize that what I suggested would be so difficult. For me, the point I was trying to make, is that I would have asked for something unique and something memorable with the White Sox (not "expensive" or a dollar amount), not anything that I could have simply paid for myself.

Wow, 2 shades of teal. :o:

ilsox7
09-18-2007, 02:30 PM

The statue would rock. :D:

I wonder if the Sox are going to put a plaque on the seat of the guy who caught it. Maybe they will commemorate his good deed by placing his name somewhere on that plaque.

salty99
09-18-2007, 02:35 PM
In fact, I don't think players can even be in the dugout unless they are in full uniform. I also doubt the Sox would grant full access to their clubhouse to someone unless it was for a Make-A-Wish Foundation type thing.

It didn't look like Crede was in uniform last night.

ilsox7
09-18-2007, 02:43 PM
It didn't look like Crede was in uniform last night.

Then he was in violation of the rules. From mlb.com (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/official_rules/definition_terms_2.jsp):

BENCH OR DUGOUT is the seating facilities reserved for players, substitutes and other team members in uniform when they are not actively engaged on the playing field.

Hokiesox
09-18-2007, 02:44 PM
Agreed. I would have given it up for nothing. Since they were offering a nice package, I guess I'd say a pair of tickets to the Scout Seats for my dad and I (one game) and maybe having a beer with Jim would have been my two requests if I were so lucky. It'd mean a LOT more to me to honor Jim than to have some baseball that is meaningless to me on my mantle.

That'd be my request: scout seats for me and my dad for a game and a beer with Jim. What an awesome idea!

Dont Stop Belivn
09-18-2007, 03:34 PM
see im with you guys. I would have been happy just meeting him, yet alone getting season tickets. my dad doesnt see it the same way. He said he would try to get all the money he could for the ball. hes a sox fan too, but i just dont see what the point would be for me to try and extort my one of my fav players of all time, espically when hes as good of a guy as he is. Now if it were someone i didnt like maybe, but i wouldnt do that to Jim.

KRS1
09-18-2007, 04:21 PM
I'm pretty certain that is against MLB rules.

What was the deal with Ron Howard sitting in our dugout last year then? He was sitting in full uni chatting it up with Pods about his future movie career.:tongue:

ilsox7
09-18-2007, 04:22 PM
What was the deal with Ron Howard sitting in our dugout last year then? He was sitting in full uni chatting it up with Pods about his future movie career.:tongue:

I don't remember that at all. Was it during a game? If it was, maybe MLB gave special permission. Or maybe Unclue Bud gave his pal JR a break. You never can tell with such an idiot at the helm of baseball.

KRS1
09-18-2007, 04:55 PM
I don't remember that at all. Was it during a game? If it was, maybe MLB gave special permission. Or maybe Unclue Bud gave his pal JR a break. You never cab tell with such an idiot at the helm of baseball.

It was most definitely during a game.

On the last part, I really can't disagree with that.

Sox
09-18-2007, 11:11 PM

1 in 20 thousand?:dunno:

Domeshot17
09-18-2007, 11:52 PM
1 in 20 thousand?:dunno:

Well its more like 1 in 6750. Figure theres what 14 OF sections and 2 smaller sections. 30 rows deep 15 across, 15x30= 450x15=6750

Im sure the number is a little off, but has to be close.

TheCommander
09-19-2007, 04:04 PM
Well its more like 1 in 6750. Figure theres what 14 OF sections and 2 smaller sections. 30 rows deep 15 across, 15x30= 450x15=6750

Im sure the number is a little off, but has to be close.

:hawk
"I love it when you analyze!"