PDA

View Full Version : *sigh* Official postgame thread, 9/15/07

RadioheadRocks
09-15-2007, 10:29 PM
I'm seriously at a loss here.

WSox597
09-15-2007, 10:32 PM
A good pitching performance by Jon Garland.

Another fine defensive performance by Andy Gonzalez

Offense quiet, again.

A microcosm of the season.

Foulke You
09-15-2007, 10:55 PM
The Weaver brothers have just had their way with us this year.:(:

The way this season is going, Thome will definitely hit #500 in KC in front of 9000 apathetic Royals fans next week.

MCHSoxFan
09-15-2007, 11:26 PM
The way this season is going, Thome will definitely hit #500 in KC in front of 9000 apathetic Royals fans next week.

Man, only the fourth post here? :(:

Anyways, I think you are right. Thome will most likely hit number 500 in KC. I actually thought he would hit today. Yes, I know, he could hit it tomorrow. However, I am just a little nervouse about that. The attendence tomorrow may be just as low as in KC. Remember, it is the Home Opener for Da Bears.

SoxSpeed22
09-15-2007, 11:35 PM
*Crickets chirping*
Only 2 more weeks of this poop.

itsnotrequired
09-15-2007, 11:36 PM
I love it when KRod points to the sky after he saves a game.

Sig update time...

Hitmen77
09-15-2007, 11:49 PM
A good pitching performance by Jon Garland.

Another fine defensive performance by Andy Gonzalez

Offense quiet, again.

A microcosm of the season.

Actually, Garland gave up a ton of hits early in the game. A couple of runners thrown out at the plate bailed him out of potentially big innings.

Otherwise, I totally agree - microcosm of the entire season. Even when our pitching is decent (only 2 runs allowed), the offense is silent. Only 3 hits by players not named Jerry Owens. Only 1 walk, but 12 strikeouts. The core of our offense (Pods, Thome, PK, Dye, and AJ) was a combined 1 for 19. Woohoo. :(:

southside rocks
09-15-2007, 11:52 PM
Fireworks were good.

Game, not so much.

GlassSox
09-15-2007, 11:54 PM
Another fine throw from 3rd base and the wave sucked.

tebman
09-16-2007, 12:21 AM
Another fine throw from 3rd base and the wave sucked.

Yes and yes. :cuss:

Andy Gonzalez has no business playing on a Major League Baseball team. Not only did his wild throw lead to the Angels' second run, but he struck out twice with runners in scoring position.

And the wave. What is it with these people? Have we all gone mad? It's a one-run game in the 8th and 9th innings and people are squealing over the wave instead of following the game. I'm at a loss.

Fireworks were good.

Bah.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-16-2007, 12:45 AM
And the wave. What is it with these people? Have we all gone mad? It's a one-run game in the 8th and 9th innings and people are squealing over the wave instead of following the game.

That was just sickening. I've never seen it go around that long before. At one point I yelled "Stop it! Our bullpen has a hard time concentrating as it is!" and most people around me laughed, but one woman four rows in front of me turned around and lectured me that she had paid a lot for her ticket and that she was "having a lot of fun, thank you very much." Yeah, you're welcome, you silly *****.

Sigh.

chisoxfanatic
09-16-2007, 12:46 AM
I love it when KRod points to the sky after he saves a game.

Sig update time...
I hope we see A LOT of that during the playoffs!

I'm glad I was at the Fire game tonight.

ilsox7
09-16-2007, 12:47 AM
That was just sickening. I've never seen it go around that long before. At one point I yelled "Stop it! Our bullpen has a hard time concentrating as it is!" and most people around me laughed, but one woman four rows in front of me turned around and lectured me that she had paid a lot for her ticket and that she was "having a lot of fun, thank you very much." Yeah, you're welcome, you silly *****.

Sigh.

Were you in 318/320 sitting behind two, um, unkempt gentlemen?

A. Cavatica
09-16-2007, 12:52 AM
Andy Gonzalez has no business playing on a Major League Baseball team.

I'm not sure we could beat a good AAA team in a seven game series.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-16-2007, 12:54 AM
Were you in 318/320 sitting behind two, um, unkempt gentlemen?

Not if you are related to the lady I called a bad name in my previous post.:redface:

(But yes.)

ilsox7
09-16-2007, 12:56 AM
Not if you are related to the lady I called a bad name in my previous post.:redface:

(But yes.)

I was sitting a couple of seats to your left. I thought it was you, but was freezing my ass off so I would not have made for good conversation. My father and I were hoping to see #500 tonight. Instead I saw yet another loss and am still thawing out. Interesting folks in front of us there. Mr. Prison Guard and Mr. Trivia.

JB98
09-16-2007, 01:48 AM
Well, Jim didn't hit No. 500 tonight. That means there's a chance he'll do it tomorrow with me in attendance. That would be nice.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else worth commenting on tonight.

soltrain21
09-16-2007, 01:52 AM

Sigh.

I see no issue with her point. I hate the wave, too. But I hate what I see from the Sox on the field much more.

Frater Perdurabo
09-16-2007, 07:42 AM
Garland again done in by bad third base defense.

I agree with the poster that Andy Gonzalez is not a major league hitter or fielder.

If he is on the MLB roster next year, it calls into question the competence of the GM.

If he plays any games next year, it calls into question the competence of the manager.

mwc44
09-16-2007, 08:38 AM
...Andy Gonzalez has no business playing on a Major League Baseball team. Not only did his wild throw lead to the Angels' second run, but he struck out twice with runners in scoring position..

My seats are behind first base. As soon as that throw left his hand, it looked like he was throwing it to me instead of Konerko... the laziest throw I seen in years.

...And the wave. What is it with these people? Have we all gone mad? It's a one-run game in the 8th and 9th innings and people are squealing over the wave instead of following the game. I'm at a loss...
That damn thing never seemed to end. McDisaster on the mound with runners on second and third and I'm trying to see when he's going to let them score, but alas... he holds them! Maybe that damn wave had a bigger negative impact on the Angels, or God forbid, had a positive impact on McDisaster.

...Fireworks were good....
Yes, they were, but the finale seemed lacking compared to prior shows. Guess Nike wanted to mirror the product that's been on the field all year.

itsnotrequired
09-16-2007, 08:44 AM
So how many people were actually in the stands last night? 30,000? And how many were doing the wave? 20,000? 25,000? Seems like the majority rules in this case.

VenturaFan23
09-16-2007, 09:03 AM
So how many people were actually in the stands last night? 30,000? And how many were doing the wave? 20,000? 25,000? Seems like the majority rules in this case.

Yes and there was nothing you could do to stop it. I was hoping it would die down after the first or second time it came through, but it just kept going on what seemed like a half hour! Also, some guy in front of me was telling his friends how cool Ronnie Woo-Woo is. :?: Strange people last night I guess.

KyWhiSoxFan
09-16-2007, 09:37 AM
Owens gets on base with a gift in the 8th inning down one run, and what does he do with that opportunity? Try to steal second to get into scoring postion? No, he never tries, but gets picked off by the catcher. What a bonehead move. Owens is not a good leadoff hitter--and a borderline ML player--and if he is leading off next year, the Sox are in big trouble.

Brian26
09-16-2007, 10:11 AM
Andy Gonzalez has no business playing on a Major League Baseball team. Not only did his wild throw lead to the Angels' second run, but he struck out twice with runners in scoring position.

At least we're finding this out now, before the winter GM meetings and spring training next year. If anything positive can be taken from this mess, it's that Kenny now knows he has one less option next year for the left side of the infield.

Brian26
09-16-2007, 10:12 AM
I'm glad I was at the Fire game tonight.

Looked like an exciting game with a huge crowd on the news highlights.

Brian26
09-16-2007, 10:15 AM
Owens gets on base with a gift in the 8th inning down one run, and what does he do with that opportunity? Try to steal second to get into scoring postion? No, he never tries, but gets picked off by the catcher. What a bonehead move. Owens is not a good leadoff hitter--and a borderline ML player--and if he is leading off next year, the Sox are in big trouble.

Yet Dye gets on first in the bottom of the 9th, has half the speed of Owens, and was able to steal second to get into scoring positon for AJ. Just shows you that speed isn't everything. You have to know when and how to run.

Brian26
09-16-2007, 10:18 AM
Garland again done in by bad third base defense.

I saw a bit of the game on tv between some projects I was working on. Garland made a couple of great plays last night himself. In particular, that double-play he and Richar turned in the first inning was amazing. He was able to look Figgins back at third, go to second for the first out, and then Richar looked Figgins back again before firing to first for the DP.

itsnotrequired
09-16-2007, 10:24 AM
Yet Dye gets on first in the bottom of the 9th, has half the speed of Owens, and was able to steal second to get into scoring positon for AJ. Just shows you that speed isn't everything. You have to know when and how to run.

Terroro pinch ran for Dye in the 9th. He got the steal.

I believe Owens has a great feel for when to steal.

Brian26
09-16-2007, 10:29 AM

Ah, good call. My bad.

skottyj242
09-16-2007, 10:56 AM

Jerry Owens was the only White Sox hitter to reach base more than once. The Sox leadoff man finished the game 3-for-4 with two stolen bases and Chicago's lone RBI.

Grzegorz
09-16-2007, 11:01 AM
At least we're finding this out now, before the winter GM meetings and spring training next year. If anything positive can be taken from this mess, it's that Kenny now knows he has one less option next year for the left side of the infield.

Exactly; the point now is to find out how bare the cupboard is.

Knowing what holes can be filled by individuals within the organization gives one a better idea of what need to be pursued outside of the organization.

Forget where the Chicago White Sox finish this year. The most important goal is to have a plan for 2008.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-16-2007, 12:15 PM
I see no issue with her point. I hate the wave, too. But I hate what I see from the Sox on the field much more.

OK, fair enough, if you can actually see it. But you're kidding yourself if you think all the people doing the wave last night were doing so "ironically" because of this awful season. As already been pointed out, the wave was going on during some tense moments late in a one-run game and it went on for an unusually long time, the longest I've ever seen in hundreds of games I've attended at what is now the Cell. My view of the pitcher and batter was repeatedly blocked long enough so that I missed both the pitch and the swing/call; maybe others didn't have that problem from their viewpoint.

The lady bought her right to do the wave with her ticket, and I bought my right to make fun of it -- within appropriate bounds -- with mine. I'm not preaching here to those who don't care one way or the other about the wave. They can continue not to care one way or the other. I don't care.

It was a beautiful, though chilly, night at the ballgame, the Sox lost a tough one, Thome didn't get 500, Gonzalez makes me crazy, we had a drink at Mitchell's afterward -- none of this is overshadowed for me by the wave. Tebman mentioned it with chagrin, I agreed, and I'm not to going to decide to like the wave because the 2007 season has sucked or because others think I should. Sheesh, I so rarely rant -- gimme this one!

A. Cavatica
09-16-2007, 12:20 PM
I agree with the poster that Andy Gonzalez is not a major league hitter or fielder.

If he is on the MLB roster next year, it calls into question the competence of the GM.

If he plays any games next year, it calls into question the competence of the manager.

Why wait for next year?

upperdeckusc
09-16-2007, 01:17 PM

I believe Owens has a great feel for when to steal.

normally, yes. but if you dont attempt to steal when you have 4-6 pitches to choose from when ur on first, 2 outs, DOWN 1 RUN, i don't know when else would be a better time to do so. i was so pissed about this and ranted for about 20 mins straight after this happened. he steals 2nd, we dont have to worry about him getting picked off, and the next batter maybe gets a broken bat single to drive him in. if he goes only when the coaches tell him, that's one thing, but i'd like to believe he has the green light when he gets on...

KyWhiSoxFan
09-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Jerry Owens was the only White Sox hitter to reach base more than once. The Sox leadoff man finished the game 3-for-4 with two stolen bases and Chicago's lone RBI.

But he has to steal the base in the 8th innning, when it is desperately needed, not only early in the game. Maybe he was afraid to get caught stealing (instead being picked off). The good players have a feel for the game and make a difference. Owens is not a difference maker. (Pods was a difference maker at the top of the order in 2005.)

Dan Mega
09-16-2007, 02:58 PM
I am not sighing at losses by the Sox.

I want Pedro Alvarez!

pierzynski07
09-16-2007, 05:16 PM
OK, fair enough, if you can actually see it. But you're kidding yourself if you think all the people doing the wave last night were doing so "ironically" because of this awful season. As already been pointed out, the wave was going on during some tense moments late in a one-run game and it went on for an unusually long time, the longest I've ever seen in hundreds of games I've attended at what is now the Cell. My view of the pitcher and batter was repeatedly blocked long enough so that I missed both the pitch and the swing/call; maybe others didn't have that problem from their viewpoint.

The lady bought her right to do the wave with her ticket, and I bought my right to make fun of it -- within appropriate bounds -- with mine. I'm not preaching here to those who don't care one way or the other about the wave. They can continue not to care one way or the other. I don't care.

It was a beautiful, though chilly, night at the ballgame, the Sox lost a tough one, Thome didn't get 500, Gonzalez makes me crazy, we had a drink at Mitchell's afterward -- none of this is overshadowed for me by the wave. Tebman mentioned it with chagrin, I agreed, and I'm not to going to decide to like the wave because the 2007 season has sucked or because others think I should. Sheesh, I so rarely rant -- gimme this one!
Having fun at a baseball game... the nerve of that "silly *****!"

RadioheadRocks
09-16-2007, 09:06 PM
I am not sighing at losses by the Sox.

I want Pedro Alvarez!

Last place with Pedro Alvarez as the likely pick vs. not finishing in the cellar.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other, IMHO.

Dick Allen
09-16-2007, 09:39 PM
I was able to attend Saturday night's game, the first one I've been able to go to for a couple of months. First, I want to echo others' sentiments that Andy Gonzalez doesn't belong anywhere near a major league field, unless he pays admission. When they introduced the starting lineups, I booed him and people around me were looking at me like I was nuts. I told them, just wait, you'll see. It astounds me that Ozzie continues to play him every day, I really think we deserve an explanation from him. That Fields is being tried in LF is not sufficient for me. As far as the wave, you know that these people cannot be true fans because if they were, we're really in trouble. If they'd rather do the wave instead of watching a close game, they need to stay home. By the way, Owens really should have had ony one hit. It looked from where I was that he was tagged in that last at-bat. And his second hit should have been an error.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-16-2007, 10:50 PM
Having fun at a baseball game... the nerve of that "silly *****!"

She's entitled to have her version of fun, and I'm entitled to have mine, if you can call watching the bullpen on the mound with runners on fun. She's not entitled to lecture me; I didn't address any remarks to her, we were all good-naturedly calling out funny stuff about the wave when she got in my face. I don't mind when non-fans come to the game, the bigger the gate the better. When they get aggressively un-baseball or anti-baseball, though, I have the right to my opinions and "the nerve" to post them here.

What's it to you? Are you going to attack the others who complained in this thread about the wave, or just me?