PDA

View Full Version : Green?

Artoo
09-14-2007, 08:21 PM
Why are the players' hats and numbers green in tonight's game?
Just curious.

itsnotrequired
09-14-2007, 08:22 PM
They hate America because of our freedoms.

twentywontowin
09-14-2007, 08:33 PM
Special jersey night, I'm calling the AJ walk-off home run right now.

Medford Bobby
09-14-2007, 08:36 PM
:smile:This is a make up spring training game against the Angels that was rained out on St. Patrick's Day, so this game does not count in the standings....but are you required to pollute thy self.....:gulp:

walsh19
09-14-2007, 08:36 PM
White Sox Caps
First 20,000 adults
Sponsored by Miller Lite

Halfway to St. Patrick's Day
PREGAME:
OUTSIDE THE GATES
Come hear the foot-stomping jigs performed by the Chicago Rovers at Gate 3. Say "Erin go Braugh" to the Trinity Dance Group performing at Gate 4. Irish Eyes will be smiling as the Katie Sullivan Band showcases their talent at Gate 5.

PARADE AROUND THE WARNING TRACK
Julie Ann Venci, who was named the Queen of the 52nd Anniversary St. Patrick's Day Parade this year, the Shannon Rovers and the Trinity Irish Dance Group will participate in a pregame parade. The first 100 fans to arrive to Gate 1 by 6:30 p.m. dressed in all green are invited to participate (weather permitting).

ANTHEM
Chicago South Side natives Three Men in Kilts will perform the National Anthem.
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/images/promotions/y2007/300x114_st_p.gif
Sponsored by Miller Lite

itsnotrequired
09-14-2007, 08:37 PM
:smile:This is a make up spring training game against the Angels that was rained out on St. Patrick's Day, so this game does not count in the standings....but are you required to pollute thy self.....:gulp:

Does brown liquor count as green beer?

Medford Bobby
09-14-2007, 08:41 PM
:D:How many times will "Southside Irish" be heard in the stands tonight?:wink::gulp:

oeo
09-14-2007, 09:06 PM
Did the Sox go on the cheap this year? No fitted hats, and I don't even think they're wearing green socks.

jabrch
09-14-2007, 09:08 PM
Normally ST holders get the HalfWay to St. Patrick's Day hat in their gift box - it seemed there was a lot of stuff we didn't get this year that was given away...

Medford Bobby
09-14-2007, 09:11 PM
Did the Sox go on the cheap this year? No fitted hats, and I don't even think they're wearing green socks.
SOX go :rolling:CHEAP YOU SAY!!!!

Frontman
09-14-2007, 09:34 PM

Considering they wear the hat for all of 3 hours, it isn't a big deal that it isn't fitted, IMO.

oeo
09-14-2007, 09:37 PM
Considering they wear the hat for all of 3 hours, it isn't a big deal that it isn't fitted, IMO.

I never said it was a big deal, but they usually have fitted hats, and (although I can't really tell) green socks.

itsnotrequired
09-14-2007, 09:44 PM
I never said it was a big deal, but they usually have fitted hats, and (although I can't really tell) green socks.

They are the free hats from last year. You can see the Miller Lite logo.

Noneck
09-14-2007, 09:46 PM

Wrong. If you do a promotion, Do it right and don't do it halfass. They wore the Chicago Negro League cap for 3 hours and cap was fitted.

Dibbs
09-14-2007, 10:26 PM
I can't believe they are wearing those hats. They are not fitted and they look like a teal to me....maybe it's just my tv. That is embarrassing! They only wear them for three hours is a ridiculous excuse. I never remember seeing any team wear non fitted hats for a regular season game.

veeter
09-14-2007, 10:56 PM
I never said it was a big deal, but they usually have fitted hats, and (although I can't really tell) green socks.I actually thought it looked cheap.

Brian26
09-14-2007, 11:02 PM
Wrong. If you do a promotion, Do it right and don't do it halfass. They wore the Chicago Negro League cap for 3 hours and cap was fitted.

I noticed it also. I think this is the first time I've ever seen a major league team wear a hat with the strap on the back, and that includes spring training. It's completely odd to actually see it this way.

In past years, the Sox have always worn fitted hats for the special uniform days.

Brian26
09-14-2007, 11:03 PM
Normally ST holders get the HalfWay to St. Patrick's Day hat in their gift box - it seemed there was a lot of stuff we didn't get this year that was given away...

You'll get it later this year. The first box you received was only for the first-half promotions.

oeo
09-14-2007, 11:04 PM
I actually thought it looked cheap.

So did I, but it's not a big deal. It's not like anyone is going to die because the Sox were wearing some cheap hats. It looked weird, but who cares?

And BTW, they did have the green socks; it's just difficult to make out the color.

Brian26
09-14-2007, 11:05 PM
They are the free hats from last year. You can see the Miller Lite logo.

The hats the Sox are wearing appear to be New Era hats (NE on the side), but there's no Miller logo on them like last year's giveaway. Not quite the same hats. Last year's weren't produced by New Era either.

Brian26
09-14-2007, 11:06 PM
So did I, but it's not a big deal. It's not like anyone is going to die because the Sox were wearing some cheap hats.

Right, it's not a big deal, but it is odd since the Sox have always had fitted hats on the other special uniform nights.

Jerko
09-14-2007, 11:07 PM
They look awful IMO. But people enjoy it once a year so no big deal.

Vestigio
09-14-2007, 11:08 PM
IIRC, players have not worn fitted hats for atleast the past two seasons. I remember last year why they werent wearing fitted hats

GoSox2K3
09-15-2007, 12:10 AM
Just curious.

I heard that it was because the Sox were green with envy for having to play two first place teams in a row.

BarbG
09-15-2007, 12:19 AM
They definitely had fitted caps last year. AJ's was 7 1/4. :smile:

chisoxfanatic
09-15-2007, 12:40 AM
It's too bad they left out the best part of South Side Irish when they blasted it over the speakers:

" and when it comes to baseball-we have two favorite clubs
The Go-Go White Sox... and whoever plays the Cubs!"

Nellie_Fox
09-15-2007, 12:44 AM
And BTW, they did have the green socks; it's just difficult to make out the color.I only had the game on XM, but Farmer commented that Thome had black socks on. Maybe he was the only one.

BV2005
09-15-2007, 01:25 AM
They must be conserving money to spend on free agents this offseason :cool:

DumpJerry
09-15-2007, 01:29 AM
Just curious.
They got punk'd by the Tribe's travelling staff after Wednesday's game.:tongue:

I did not notice that the hats were not fitted until Bobby hit the Mound. That is when I noticed he has some wierd thing going on with his hair. It can be best described as a crew-cut mohawk.

hi im skot
09-15-2007, 01:48 AM
The caps looked terrible tonight.

The Sox have always worn fitted green caps in the past, and they looked light-years better than the adjustable caps tonight. Also missed the green socks that they wore last season. As far as I recall, Thome was the only one showing sock, and the green looked great.

EDIT: I see Wasserman had the green socks, but Thome stuck with black. Maybe he didn't want his 500th home run feature him in an unfamiliar uniform color?

itsnotrequired
09-15-2007, 01:56 AM
The hats the Sox are wearing appear to be New Era hats (NE on the side), but there's no Miller logo on them like last year's giveaway. Not quite the same hats. Last year's weren't produced by New Era either.

BS. I lent Owens the hat I got in my season ticket holder box from last season. Speaking of which, he should have been here by now to drop it off...

TheOldRoman
09-15-2007, 02:52 AM
IIRC, players have not worn fitted hats for atleast the past two seasons. I remember last year why they werent wearing fitted hatsNo, they did wear fitted hats the last two years. In 05, the first year of the green pinstripes, they wore green helmets and black socks. Some of the players had a shamrock on the back of the hats, in lieu of the MLB logo. Last year, Crede and Thome had green socks, but they didn't pop for the green helmets. This year, black socks (Thome at least), black helmets, and adjustable green hats? If that is what they are doing, why bother? Might as well wear the normal home pants with a green t-shirt with screen printed numbers.

grv1974
09-15-2007, 03:17 AM
I was thinking the same thing. However, the bat boy had green socks!

Johnny Mostil
09-15-2007, 07:21 AM
I noticed it also. I think this is the first time I've ever seen a major league team wear a hat with the strap on the back, and that includes spring training.

So that means MLB teams wearing adjustable caps are undefeated (1-0)? Maybe the Sox ought to wear them the rest of the year, and, if that works out, for all 2008.:cool:

FarWestChicago
09-15-2007, 08:09 AM
They hate America because of our freedoms.

Does brown liquor count as green beer?That is called being on a roll. :cool:

southside rocks
09-15-2007, 08:39 AM

Wasserman had green socks. He looked like a leprechaun. :tongue: A leprechaun with a pretty good ERA.

Vernam
09-15-2007, 10:07 AM
I see Wasserman had the green socks, but Thome stuck with black. Maybe he didn't want his 500th home run feature him in an unfamiliar uniform color?That makes two of us. I'm glad he didn't hit the 500th in that clown outfit. Would be much cooler if he does it on his own bobble head day. :bandance:

The halfway to St. Pat's thing is stale, IMO. I do admit some of my negative vibes are because they were wearing the green in '05 (against the Angels, in fact) at one of the low points of their near-collapse. Green is my favorite color and I'm half Irish, but I don't care if I never see them wear it again.

Vernam

oeo
09-15-2007, 10:12 AM
I only had the game on XM, but Farmer commented that Thome had black socks on. Maybe he was the only one.

Ah...this is why I thought they were wearing black socks, because it looked like Thome had them on. But when Wassermann came in, in the 8th, he had green socks on. :nuts:

delben91
09-15-2007, 02:11 PM
I remember in past years, the replica version of the green pinstripe jerseys were available online. Does anyone know of someplace selling them this year?

salty99
09-15-2007, 02:17 PM
BS. I lent Owens the hat I got in my season ticket holder box from last season. Speaking of which, he should have been here by now to drop it off...

Hahah. Definitely New Era hats with straps on the back. Ugh.

downstairs
09-15-2007, 02:30 PM

It looks bad. Real bad. Adjustable caps are for little leag... oh, wait.

INSox56
09-15-2007, 02:48 PM
I got nothing last year, still nothing this year... :(:

skottyj242
09-15-2007, 05:35 PM
I can't believe they are wearing those hats. They are not fitted and they look like a teal to me....maybe it's just my tv. That is embarrassing! They only wear them for three hours is a ridiculous excuse. I never remember seeing any team wear non fitted hats for a regular season game.

After 9/11 the Yankees and Mets wore FDNY and NYPD no fitted hats. And who was it (I believe he's on the Angels) wore the Va Tech hat after the shooting, I also believe that was no fitted.

Medford Bobby
09-15-2007, 07:16 PM
:o:Wow, I did not think these hats looked that great, but their already HOT on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/White-Sox-half-way-to-St-Patricks-Day-baseball-hat-Cap_W0QQitemZ120162135150QQihZ002QQcategoryZ24649Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

DumpJerry
09-15-2007, 07:25 PM
I got nothing last year, still nothing this year... :(:
Are you a full season ticket holder or partial season ticket holder? Is the account in your name?

Ragator43
09-16-2007, 09:54 AM
I remember in past years, the replica version of the green pinstripe jerseys were available online. Does anyone know of someplace selling them this year?

Grandstand had a decent variety when I went there after the game on Wednesday, adult and youth.