PDA

View Full Version : Garland needs to shut up.

chisoxmike
09-14-2007, 09:55 AM
'If I had to guess right now, I would say that I'm more likely to get traded than to sign back,'' Garland said this week, ''only because looking around this clubhouse and depending on which way they want to go with the team -- whether [general manager Ken Williams] wants to go young or build a winner here -- at least on the starting staff, I bring the most attention.''

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/557267,CST-SPT-joe14.article

Dont Stop Belivn
09-14-2007, 09:58 AM
this only adds to my hate for Garland. He just seems that a really big jerk in the clubhouse, and the numerous times ive met him at soxfest, he is nothing but a jerk. He wont even take pictures with little kids. He will let them take pictures of him signing the object, but not with him. Personally if we can get a good couple of arms for him, i say **** you see ya later

LauraJ14
09-14-2007, 09:59 AM
Why does he need to shut up? He's just saying what a lot Sox fans post on these message boards every week. He has trade value and will be a free agent at the end of 2008.

soltrain21
09-14-2007, 10:01 AM
I've always assumed he was going to be heading back to the West Coast sooner rather than later. I think we need his arm in the rotation; but we should look into seeing if we can score the right deal for him.

D. TODD
09-14-2007, 10:01 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/557267,CST-SPT-joe14.article Why does he need to shut up? There has been plenty of speculation and trade talks dating back to before this season from KW for exactly some of the reasons Garland stated. He is telling the truth, he may be dealt, and he has some trade value for other teams to go after.

chisoxmike
09-14-2007, 10:05 AM
''Then you're already worrying about the next year,'' Garland reasoned. ''If they trade me, oh, well. I know the reasons why. Whether it's to save money, my age, I'll get the most back for them. I'm not going to worry about it.''

I'd like the players on the team to want to be here.

oeo
09-14-2007, 10:09 AM

He's said numerous times that he wants to stay here.

I think this is just another case of misunderstanding him. It seems like everything he says is taken the wrong way.

I still think he should be traded, though.

PatK
09-14-2007, 10:17 AM
He's being realistic. I mean, he's probably been the subject of the most trade rumors the last two years.

sox1970
09-14-2007, 10:17 AM
They're not going through another Buehrle situation next year. He'll be traded before the end of 2007.

Hitmen77
09-14-2007, 10:19 AM
:dunno:

I really didn't see anything he said that is objectionable. He said he wasn't going to worry about being traded because it's out of his control. Would people rather Jon get all whiny (as some players do) about trade rumors? He seemed to have a good grasp of why the Sox might trade him - he wasn't ripping them for being "cheap" or anything.

I think Cowley has been much better of late, but to me this seems like classic "Tailgunner Joe".

MisterB
09-14-2007, 10:19 AM

Where is he saying "I don't want to be here"? The fact is he's the one guy on the Sox who's name has repeatedly come up as trade bait. He was dangled to the Astros last off season (or was sought by them, depending on who you ask) and was all but gone to the Angels for Erstad in '02. I don't blame the guy for feeling that KW has been trying to move him for years now and that his contract situation is such that Kenny would try to move him again.

Kilroy
09-14-2007, 11:29 AM
...He wont even take pictures with little kids. He will let them take pictures of him signing the object, but not with him...

Didn't have the slightest bit of trouble getting him to pose w/ my daughter. He was friendly with both of us, signed, talked, posed, shook my hand after it all. Maybe you saw him on a bad day? Or maybe really good day when I ran across him...

DumpJerry
09-14-2007, 11:40 AM
What does he need to shut up about? He's not bad-mouthing the team or its management. Is telling the media you expect to be traded akin to, say, Lovie Smith publishing the Bears' playbook on the Internet to make the Patriots job of spying easier? Nope. He is just saying what all players in his position (subject to constant trade rumors, last year of contract) say. As far as the "if they don't sign me by April, then I won't talk during the season" stuff, I ignore it. Buehrle and Dye (along with Zambozo and countless other baseball players) say the same bluff every year.

Basically, stories like this one are the kind you pull out on a slow news day to fill space in the paper.

TDog
09-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Fans need to stop being so sensitive about everything players say. For years I was reading posts about Mark Buehrle heading for the Cardinals. Even a Cardinals Web site, I heard, was discussing Buehrle coming to pitch in St. Louis.

Jon Garland, who, it has been reported, nearly was traded a couple of times, was simply making an honest statement about the uncertainty of his future. It wasn't like he was saying he wanted to be traded or like Steve Hamilton telling Look magazine after the 1970 season, "They're taking the names off of our uniforms for our protection."

ondafarm
09-14-2007, 12:33 PM
I think he's being honest. He's nearly been traded a couple of times and still draws a lot of attention among rival GMs.

INSox56
09-14-2007, 01:31 PM
I think he's being honest. He's nearly been traded a couple of times and still draws a lot of attention among rival GMs.I think he's being honest as well as probably giving short, ******* answers to the CONSTANT trade questions that he deals with every single year. I'd be pretty sick of it too. Not the fact that he's always thought of on the block, but because he's got to always answer the questions over and over and over.

jabrch
09-14-2007, 01:49 PM
This thread is just dumb. Jon has been a solid pitcher with us. He was probably asked a very pointed question - and he answered honestly. I'd much rather have that instead of a douchehandle like Ordonez telling us he wants to stay, and it isn't about money and he really cares about the team, and then jumping to the first guy who waves a $20 bill in front of him.

Good for Gar for being honest. The option belongs to KW/JR to decide if they want to pay him what he will get in order to stay. I don't care either way. If there's value to trading him, send him off. If there's no value, and he won't stay for something in our budget, keep him and take draft pick compensation for him.

I really have zero emotional attachment to Jon anymore than I did to Mark. Whatever will help this team win is fine with me.

jdm2662
09-14-2007, 01:49 PM
I'm not one of Garland's biggest fans, but I have no problem what he said. He's just telling the truth. It's not like he is asking to be traded.

chisoxmike
09-14-2007, 02:05 PM
I just don't like the way he seems indifferent about it. I like Garland, and would want him to sign a extention, and want to be here. If we trade Garland, that's two holes in the roation we would have to fill.

jabrch
09-14-2007, 02:15 PM
I just don't like the way he seems indifferent about it.

He probably IS indifferent. He can be filthy rich and very happy in Chicago or filthy rich and very happen in So.Cal. where he is from. What's not to be indifferent about?

JGarlandrules20
09-14-2007, 02:29 PM
Yea, let's take every single word out of context and judge that as his opinion on whether he'd want to stay here. That seems pretty fair.

He's just telling it like it is. I don't get why any one would be bothered by this.

Domeshot17
09-14-2007, 02:46 PM
Shoulda dealt him last year when his stock was really bloated. I dont think Garland will be missed all that much. Hes good, but really over valued by Sox Fans. IF you take away wins, and just look at ERA-WHIP, the numbers that reflect how he pitched and not how much run support he got, hes very average, maybe slightly above. The one thing you love about him is he is so laid back that he is good in pressure. But I think you actually get better games out of the arm of Javy then you do Garland.

Not saying Garlands not good, but he is not a number 1. Teams were willing to trade for him as if he was an ace last offseason, Im hoping we didnt miss our chance then and end up dealing him for a busted prospect and a good not great one like we did Freddy.

thomas35forever
09-14-2007, 03:28 PM
I see Garland as more likely to get traded this offseason than Contreras because unless Contreras can prove this year was a fluke and starts pitching decent again, I don't see any club wanting to pick him up.

puckereduppiet
09-14-2007, 03:53 PM
this only adds to my hate for Garland. He just seems that a really big jerk in the clubhouse, and the numerous times ive met him at soxfest, he is nothing but a jerk. He wont even take pictures with little kids. He will let them take pictures of him signing the object, but not with him. Personally if we can get a good couple of arms for him, i say **** you see ya later
WOW...
I'ts all about you, you appear to be a jerk TOO!
GARLAND will always be my ACE

Mod edit: Personal attack=7 days off.

veeter
09-14-2007, 03:53 PM
I'd like the players on the team to want to be here.Don't forget right after the championship, Kenny pressured him pretty hard to sign or not. He chose to sign. I think Jon just hates talking to the pain in the ass reporters all the time. He just doesn't hide it very well.

JB98
09-14-2007, 04:34 PM
I just don't like the way he seems indifferent about it. I like Garland, and would want him to sign a extention, and want to be here. If we trade Garland, that's two holes in the roation we would have to fill.

But Jon has no control over trades or trade rumors. He's bracing himself for whatever comes his way. I don't have a problem with his comments.

chisoxmike
09-14-2007, 04:36 PM
I don't have a problem with his comments.

Neither does anybody else. Looks like I am the only one then. :redneck

:bandance:

captainclutch24
09-14-2007, 07:17 PM
Once he is a free agent I think he will wind up in Anaheim

areilly
09-14-2007, 07:42 PM

Weakest verb in the language right there. Garland is not doing anything; you are making yourself believe he is. At no point did he say he wants to be traded, nor did he say he refuses to stay, nor did he say he absolutely will stay. He's been nearly traded at least three times that we know of and the team needs so much help - why would he have any reason to be surprised if he's shipped out?

Grzegorz
09-14-2007, 08:45 PM
Don't forget right after the championship, Kenny pressured him pretty hard to sign or not. He chose to sign. I think Jon just hates talking to the pain in the ass reporters all the time. He just doesn't hide it very well.

Ozzie speaks out and it is viewed as being honest and true to his nature. Jon Garland speaks out, if one could even term what he did as speaking out, and he's a clubhouse nuisance.

C'mon, cut the guy some slack. For this team to win next year they need starting pitching. Trading Garland opens up another hole in the rotation. If you trade Garland blow the team up and start over.

TheCommander
09-14-2007, 09:19 PM

Didn't have the slightest bit of trouble getting him to pose w/ my daughter. He was friendly with both of us, signed, talked, posed, shook my hand after it all. Maybe you saw him on a bad day? Or maybe really good day when I ran across him...

A couple years ago after a game,he stopped and signed anything and everything and was quite friendly. He also posed for pictures-and this was on a night he had pitched and his arm was still being iced. But a lot can change in a couple years.

fusillirob1983
09-15-2007, 06:53 AM
Garland has been in trade rumors every year since he's been in the majors except during the 2005 season.

I don't blame him.

harwar
09-15-2007, 07:55 AM
I read an article a few years back with many quotes from his mother and sister.By all accounts he is a very emotional guy who worries about everything.The kind of guy who will have an ulcer by the time he is 30.The kind of guy who may seem to be indifferent but is not.I think that the guy knows that he is going,even though he wants to stay,and that there is nothing he can do about it.

spiffie
09-15-2007, 09:27 AM
I will not respect Garland unless he threatens to perform ritual suicide in the event the White Sox trade him. Anything less than that shows a lack of real commitment to the team.

Frater Perdurabo
09-15-2007, 01:13 PM
I will not respect Garland unless he threatens to perform ritual suicide in the event the White Sox trade him. Anything less than that shows a lack of real commitment to the team.

The Sox already had a turn with Hari Cari. :tongue:

TomBradley72
09-15-2007, 01:30 PM
Who cares what a player "seems" to be? Or the attitude he projects through the media? Alot of guys "seem" to be cool and turned out to be *******s. I care about what they produce on the field....based on that, I think we need Gar as part of our "top 3" in the rotation next year.

Garland became a full time starter in 2002, since then he has the 6th highest win total in the American League. (just behind Santana, just ahead of Sabbathia, only 5 fewer wins than Buehrle)...he's far from perfect..but he's a valuable member of the rotation.

Hendu
09-15-2007, 02:26 PM
I have no objections to what Jon said. He's not under contract after '08, and there are trade rumors revolving around him. What's he supposed to do, not answer reporters' questions. Or say that he'll retire if he gets traded?

LITTLE NELL
09-15-2007, 02:30 PM
An old guy once said "Dont believe everything you read in the newspapers". I will add especially from Chicago sportswriters. I for one would like to keep all our starters including Contrares who seems to be coming around. Ive decided that except for the bullpen this has been an injury laden fluke season.

kitekrazy
09-16-2007, 10:47 AM
I think the statement reflects that Garland understands this is a business.

Martinigirl
09-16-2007, 11:44 AM
There are just certain players that, no matter what they say, piss off people. The fact that many of these people tend not to like the player and are just looking for a reason to criticize him should not be overlooked. Garland is definitely one of those players. Short of saying that he would quit baseball if he was traded, they wouldn't be happy. And even then, some would turn around and say that just proved he was a quitter all along.

southside rocks
09-16-2007, 12:24 PM
There are just certain players that, no matter what they say, piss off people. The fact that many of these people tend not to like the player and are just looking for a reason to criticize him should not be overlooked. Garland is definitely one of those players. Short of saying that he would quit baseball if he was traded, they wouldn't be happy. And even then, some would turn around and say that just proved he was a quitter all along.

I think you nailed it. :thumbsup:

ode to veeck
09-16-2007, 03:45 PM
I think he's being honest. He's nearly been traded a couple of times and still draws a lot of attention among rival GMs.

For damn good reason. I wish KW would stop shopping him around. Good young starting pitching is hard to find.

Red Barchetta
09-16-2007, 07:20 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/557267,CST-SPT-joe14.article

Good soundbyte Jon! He had a nice audition against the Angels this weekend, so make the trade and get something good in return. His laid-back California surfer attitude is better suited for that team.

Amazing turn of events considering he was a key, if not the key, role in our rotation during 2005. I only hope we someday get that kind of productivity out of our fifth starter again. However, I just don't think he cares some times. :(:

nysox35
09-17-2007, 10:36 AM

Hmmm, my experience with Jon differs. I had really amazing seats once about 4 years ago and was right behind the Sox On-deck circle. Jon wasn't pitching that day but was sort of leaning out on the top of the dugout. I called out to him and he turned around, smiled and posed for a picture for me.
Then, later in the game, this annoying girl next to me kept harassing the batboy for a ball. I called out to Jon again and he threw the girl one. She was so happy...pretty funny actually.

I'm not going to lie - I'm a huge Garland fan, but I think he just is stating the business side of things. I think he wants to be here, but is realistic about his trade value to this team. That said, I hope we can lock him up for another 3-4 years.

chaerulez
09-17-2007, 12:56 PM
This is a non story.

If Jon is indifferent about being here, why is that a bad thing? Does he owe unquestioned loyalty to a team that has been shopping him around the past season? He's treating the situation like he's a business, exactly like how the team is.