PDA

View Full Version : Remember, Remember, the...2nd of April?

BRDSR
09-14-2007, 09:31 AM
Today I was thinking about the beginning of next season, and how excited I am for it, and it made me think about the beginning of this season and how excited I was for it.

I just remember driving up from school, all giddy about Opening Day, getting to the park an hour early, eating a hot dog, the anticipation building until the very first Jose Contreras pitch, which I think was a ball, and then the very next Jose Contreras pitch which left the yard off the bat of Grady Sizemore.

And I just remember how that game got out of hand so fast, and how there was such a sinking feeling to it. But I remember heading back down south to school and thinking "just one game. This is a solid team, and even solid teams lose 12-5 home openers every once in awhile."

I can't believe how indicative of this season that game turned out to be. Looking forward to next year!

(Hijack of my own thread: The thread title is a reference to the movie V for Vendetta. Great movie, if you haven't seen it you definitely should.)

itsnotrequired
09-14-2007, 09:35 AM
Seems like forever ago.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=4&id=3326

soltrain21
09-14-2007, 09:59 AM
Erstad went yard that day. That was pretty exciting.

Jerko
09-14-2007, 09:59 AM
April 4th was the day that was a harbinger of things to come IMO. We had the famous "Thornton gives up a homer to Sizemore" in the one of the year's first LRLRLRLRLRL moves, (MacDougal walked the friggin 9 hitter after striking the first 2 guys out.........) Thornton started the next inning and promptly gave up a double to another one of his left-handed abusers, Hafner, and proceeded to load the bases. AARDSMA came in to strike out the side with the bags jammed to keep Cleveland's lead at 1. So, bottom 8, Sox down one, crowd pumped after getting out of that bases-loaded jam, Indians bring in the great Roberto Hernandez, AJ greets him with a lead-off double, momentum is ours, the game can be won, AND THEN.................our new #8 hitter, (Iguchi) who had previously homered in the game, POPS UP A ****IN BUNT with the mighty bat of Cintron on deck and Pods in the hole. Game, set, match, season in a nutshell. The first of many come from ahead losses. I know I can't blame the entire season on that one game, but it DID have EVERY reason I think we sucked all year all rolled into one neat little 9 inning package. LRLRLRLRLRLR matchups that don't work, MacDougal walking people, (the 9 hitter no less), bunting when we shouldn't bunt, Cintron even playing, Gooch in the 8 hole, false hope with Aardsma, and still losing in the end. Fast forward to September. Thornton still giving up hits to Sizemore and Hafner, MacDougal still walking people, Cintron still playing, etc. Seen one Sox game this year, seen em all IMO.

That said, I AM excited to get 2008 underway. I just hope the Sox "play to win", instead of "playing not to lose", which is what they've been doing since July 2006.

AZChiSoxFan
09-14-2007, 10:25 AM
Today I was thinking about the beginning of next season, and how excited I am for it, and it made me think about the beginning of this season and how excited I was for it.

I just remember driving up from school, all giddy about Opening Day, getting to the park an hour early, eating a hot dog, the anticipation building until the very first Jose Contreras pitch, which I think was a ball, and then the very next Jose Contreras pitch which left the yard off the bat of Grady Sizemore.

And I just remember how that game got out of hand so fast, and how there was such a sinking feeling to it. But I remember heading back down south to school and thinking "just one game. This is a solid team, and even solid teams lose 12-5 home openers every once in awhile."

I can't believe how indicative of this season that game turned out to be. Looking forward to next year!

(Hijack of my own thread: The thread title is a reference to the movie V for Vendetta. Great movie, if you haven't seen it you definitely should.)

I was in chicago earlier this week and got to attend my only Sox game of the year. During the game, I was thinking back to opening day and remembered listening to the game via the Sox website while I was at work. I have a friend who is a Twins fan and he kept e-mailing me asking me what was happening to the Sox.

DumpJerry
09-14-2007, 11:04 AM
I remember. Lord, do I remember. I remember thinking how excited I was. I remember thinking when Jose's first pitch was a ball "not the best way to start the season, but no the worst way, either." I remember Jose's second pitch flying in front of me as it cleared the RF wall and thinking "****, can we start over?"

I am, as always, looking forward to next year with great excitement.

Chez
09-14-2007, 12:25 PM
I'm looking forward to this season being over! As for 2008, Cleveland and Detroit are currently so much better than the Sox are at virtually every position, I can't see the Sox overtaking them both.

BRDSR
09-14-2007, 12:36 PM
I'm looking forward to this season being over! As for 2008, Cleveland and Detroit are currently so much better than the Sox are at virtually every position, I can't see the Sox overtaking them both.

Yeah, success seems pretty daunting right now, but you never know what the offseason can bring and the effect that this kind of pressureless season might have on some of the youngsters who have been brought up.

Even if next season doesn't get us back to the playoffs, maybe we can make it all the way to the 3rd or 4th pitch of the season before it starts deteriorating before our eyes.

skottyj242
09-14-2007, 12:41 PM
I'm still enjoying this season.

DumpJerry
09-14-2007, 12:53 PM
Even if next season doesn't get us back to the playoffs, maybe we can make it all the way to the 3rd or 4th pitch of the season before it starts deteriorating before our eyes.
It's good to set achievable goals.

October26
09-14-2007, 12:58 PM
I remember the 2nd of April and all the hope that was the first two months of the season. Then, the Sox played the Flubs at the end of May and have not been the same since. :(: Sure, they teetered back and forth and looked good at times, but since June 1st this team has not been right.

I always have mixed feelings at the end of the season: baseball is coming to an end and I am sad; but this year I am so tired of watching bad white sox baseball, that I want it to be over with asap; then I think to myself: Oh goodness, I'm gonna have to endure an October with the Flubs and Red Cubs fans in full throttle. It's gonna be awful and I won't have my white sox to distract/annoy me.

Of course, my feelings were very different as the 2005 season came to an end. Here's hoping 2008 brings us another season like 2005!

AJ Hellraiser
09-14-2007, 01:04 PM
I remember Ozzie Bobblehead day... got to the ballpark 2 hours early.. mainly to assure I got the bobblehead doll...

But even that day in late May/early June against the Devil Rays there was still a feeling we weren't that far off.... the Sox were 24-20 with Vazquez on the mound...

they jumped out to a lead... bullpen blew it bad.... Sisco and Aardsma were promptly sent out.... Ozuna broke his leg... Erstad soon followed him to the DL and a couple weeks later we had lost something like 16 of 18

WhiteSox5187
09-14-2007, 01:24 PM
I remember Ozzie Bobblehead day... got to the ballpark 2 hours early.. mainly to assure I got the bobblehead doll...

But even that day in late May/early June against the Devil Rays there was still a feeling we weren't that far off.... the Sox were 24-20 with Vazquez on the mound...

they jumped out to a lead... bullpen blew it bad.... Sisco and Aardsma were promptly sent out.... Ozuna broke his leg... Erstad soon followed him to the DL and a couple weeks later we had lost something like 16 of 18
'70s night against Tampa was really the high water mark for the season. We won that game and I think Cleveland lost so that put us somewhere like two or three games out. The next day we lost Ozuna and it was downhill from there.

BRDSR
09-14-2007, 05:01 PM

I think I remember the game you're talking about. I was out here in DC with my then-fiancee and trying to catch the games on MLB.com. I do remember that we got to the highwater mark of four games over .500 while we were out here on that trip, and I believe it was late May.

There was still hope at that point, but even before the team lost (I believe) 23 of 28, I never really felt like the 2007 White Sox were the same type of team as the 2005 Sox. I did feel like the 2006 Sox were the same type of team. Maybe the 2006 Sox had a couple balls bounce the other way and a fraction less talent, but they knew what it took to win. The last time I had that feeling was just before the 2nd pitch of the 2007 season.

It's just funny how prophetic that game was, and how fickle baseball can be. I really feel like sports like basketball and football aren't the same. You've either got the talent or you don't (notwithstanding Michigan this year, who have the talent but suck). That's why true baseball fans end up getting their hearts torn out of their chests by teams like the 2007 White Sox.

I'm waxing poetically on a Friday evening in mid-September, so we know the Sox are doing terrible. Let's hope for a Bears win in a couple days!

Medford Bobby
09-14-2007, 07:46 PM
I know spring training does not usually mean much, but it was piss poor playing and no fire chemistry that I hope we don't see in 2008 spring baseball....:cool:

whitesoxwilkes
09-14-2007, 09:22 PM
I am, as always, looking forward to next year with great excitement.

People ask me what I do when there's no baseball. I tell them I sit by the window and wait for spring.

Honus Wagner had it right.

I've got a lot going on this offseason with the kid coming in a couple weeks, a couple big projects at work, trying to sell the house, the Bears, blah blah blah...it's all stuff I'm excited about. But there's nothing I like more than that first April day at the Cell.

itsnotrequired
09-14-2007, 09:30 PM
People ask me what I do when there's no baseball. I tell them I sit by the window and wait for spring.

Honus Wagner had it right.

There is just so much going on. You got Arizona Fall League which goes until mid-November, then winter meetings, then the Rule 5 draft, then the arbitration scene, winter ball, etc. Next thing you know, pitchers and catchers are reporting.

Huisj
09-14-2007, 11:36 PM
There is just so much going on. You got Arizona Fall League which goes until mid-November, then winter meetings, then the Rule 5 draft, then the arbitration scene, winter ball, etc. Next thing you know, pitchers and catchers are reporting.

Yeah, there is all that stuff, but it's still not the same. No games on tv, and maybe even worse, you can go to news sites online, and they'll have the same headlines up for days at a time. It's like every day is the same and you get stuck in some groundhog day timewarp where it's always cloudy and 20 degrees, you do the same stinking stuff day after day, and the only news about the Sox is the news you've seen on the site every day for the last two weeks. Ugh, I don't want winter.

itsnotrequired
09-15-2007, 12:45 AM
Yeah, there is all that stuff, but it's still not the same. No games on tv, and maybe even worse, you can go to news sites online, and they'll have the same headlines up for days at a time. It's like every day is the same and you get stuck in some groundhog day timewarp where it's always cloudy and 20 degrees, you do the same stinking stuff day after day, and the only news about the Sox is the news you've seen on the site every day for the last two weeks. Ugh, I don't want winter.

Check out the various podcasts. MLB, Baseball America, Soxcast, AP Baseball, etc. MLB is daily and the other ones are at least weekly.

wassagstdu
09-15-2007, 08:42 AM

From an April post of mine:
I look for the Sox to win the AL Central due in large part to Erstad's comeback mvp year. Without that, and without Pods, it's still 2006.

southside rocks
09-15-2007, 08:58 AM

I do too, at least in that part of my life. I'm not even a football fan, so I hang on to baseball until it's absolutely gone, and then I read baseball books. And I watch PBR bull-riding on TV. :rolleyes: Clearly, a very poor substitute for my REAL life, in which baseball is always on!

HerzogVon
09-15-2007, 10:19 AM
>>(Hijack of my own thread: The thread title is a reference to the movie V for Vendetta. Great movie, if you haven't seen it you definitely should.)<<

Thought it might be a reference to Guy Fawkes. They say he has an explosive bat, though he usually keeps her at home. { Biddy-boom-BAH! }

Last I heard, he was hurling for the Manchester-Birmingham Mad Bombers of the Catholic League. Maybe he's available?

thomas35forever
09-15-2007, 12:01 PM
I remember getting updates from Gameday in Journalism class. I was thinking "Great, this better not be a sign of things to come." As it turned out, it was. Here's to a better 2008.

Britt Burns
09-15-2007, 02:16 PM

I felt and feel completely the same way. One of the great things about basball is that even the most pragmatic of fans wakes up on opening day happy to welcome back an absent friend, with a part of him or her feeling "...you know, if we just get a little (pitching/hitting/fielding/Steve Perry) this could be the year." Obviously it is rare when that actually happens, but evey once in a while...Opening day is the epitome of that optimism.