PDA

View Full Version : Windy City Sox Fans Luncheon This Saturday

TornLabrum
09-13-2007, 10:05 PM
Sorry for the late notice on this, but I just got the details.

The final Windy City Sox Fans Lunch Bunch luncheon will be held this Saturday, September 15, from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the Old Eagle Banquet Room of the Polo Cafe, 3322 S. Morgan in Bridgeport. This month's guest will be Jerry Owens.

Price is $35.00 for WCSF members, $45.00 for nonmembers, and $25.00 for kids age 10 and under. Windy City Sox Fans is a 501(c)(3) corporation. A portion of your donation is tax deductible. Proceeds benefit Chicago Baseball Cancer Charities and are earmarked for Children's Memorial Hospital.

For information and reservations, call the WCSF Info Line at (708) 424-8520.

DumpJerry
09-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Thanks Torn. For once I don't have a scheduling conflict. I'm in.

TornLabrum
09-15-2007, 08:01 AM
Unfortunately I'm out. My brother had major surgery this week, and I'll be taking my mom shopping and to the hospital to visit him.

The Sox have also booked Donny Lucy for the luncheon, and Chris Singleton will be the emcee.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-15-2007, 04:38 PM
Singleton did a good job emceeing -- it's usually Rongey, who also does very well, but he had his radio show today.

One funny answer to the audience questions involved Fields in LF -- Owens said they were giving Josh a hard time in the clubhouse last night about that diving catch, saying he made it look that way just to get on Sportscenter.

Owens's goals for next year? "First of all, to make the team coming out of spring training."

Growing up a Padres fan in San Diego, Lucy's hero was of course Tony Gwynn. Jerry grew up admiring Lofton, which is why he wears No. 7 now.

Both of them seemed like good guys. Jeez, they're young.

TornLabrum
09-15-2007, 05:48 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed the luncheon. About the only thing that can keep me away from them is a family emergency.

Singleton is actually quite good in these interview situations. He emceed our first luncheon in 2006 with Ozzie and did a very good job. He's good when he's able to just sit and talk baseball with other players.

Our next similar event will be our Holiday Party on December 2. We usually have former players for those. We couple it with our holiday toy drive for Children's Memorial, so it's a fun time.

I just wish we could attract a larger membership. With our donation to CBCC this coming January, we will reach the $100,000+ mark. I'd love to double that amount in half the time. (We were founded at the end of 1995.)

DumpJerry
09-15-2007, 07:08 PM
Singleton did a good job emceeing -- it's usually Rongey, who also does very well, but he had his radio show today.

One funny answer to the audience questions involved Fields in LF -- Owens said they were giving Josh a hard time in the clubhouse last night about that diving catch, saying he made it look that way just to get on Sportscenter.

Owens's goals for next year? "First of all, to make the team coming out of spring training."

Growing up a Padres fan in San Diego, Lucy's hero was of course Tony Gwynn. Jerry grew up admiring Lofton, which is why he wears No. 7 now.

Both of them seemed like good guys. Jeez, they're young.
...and Singleton said his favorite player growing up was......Joe Montana.:?:

TornLabrum
09-15-2007, 10:59 PM
...and Singleton said his favorite player growing up was......Joe Montana.:?:

Makes perfect sense to me.

BainesHOF
09-15-2007, 11:27 PM
Just wondering if Singleton mentioned anything about whether he was coming back to the radio booth next year.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-16-2007, 12:49 AM
Just wondering if Singleton mentioned anything about whether he was coming back to the radio booth next year.

Nope. Nobody asked and it didn't come up.

Lip Man 1
09-16-2007, 01:34 PM
According to a column by either Ed Sherman or Teddy Greenstein (I don't remember which person it was) by terms of the contract the Sox must let Singleton know if he's being retained this month.

They may not have done it yet, but if the report is true, they have to do it very soon.

My guess based on information from some folks in the organization and from Ed and Teddy is that it would be a major surprise if he is brought back.

Let the Steve Stone, Tommy John, Steve Lyons, Ron Kittle speculation commence.

Lip