PDA

View Full Version : 400 fans pack Dolphin Stadium for Marlins game

Fenway
09-13-2007, 11:44 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/12/AR2007091202444.html

http://media.miamiherald.com/smedia/2007/09/12/20/50-marlinsnats3.embedded.prod_affiliate.56.jpg (http://www.miamiherald.com/589/story/235835.html#x)

MIAMI, Sept. 12 -- There were so few fans at Dolphin Stadium (http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/related/topic/Dolphin+Stadium?tid=informline) for Wednesday's game, a season ticket holder got thrown out for heckling the umpire too loudly.
In the fifth inning of the Florida Marlins (http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/related/topic/Florida+Marlins?tid=informline)' 5-4 victory over the Washington Nationals (http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/related/topic/Washington+Nationals?tid=informline), home plate umpire Paul Schreiber gave the thumb to an unnamed man seated behind the plate who had been verbally abusive throughout the contest.

"The fan was chirping at the umpire," Nationals catcher Brian Schneider (http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/related/topic/Brian+Schneider?tid=informline) said. "There was no need for it."

The man was so loud, and the atmosphere so quiet, the fan could be heard saying "you don't make more than me" on the television broadcast as he was forced to leave. There were no more than about 400 fans in attendance at the game's peak.

The three-day series between Florida and Washington at Dolphin Stadium drew a total of perhaps 3,000 fans, though the announced attendance was reported to be more than 10,000 every day. Monday's and Tuesday's games, both at night, drew about 1,200 each. Wednesday's matinee featured nearly 65,000 empty seats

http://www.miamiherald.com/589/story/235835.html

soxfanatlanta
09-13-2007, 11:47 AM
Pitiful. If a tree falls, and there is nobody near...

oeo
09-13-2007, 11:51 AM

Especially considering the good young team they have. They very well could have two future HOF'ers on the left side of their infield. That team is going to be damn good in a couple of years.

Fenway
09-13-2007, 11:52 AM

Even "Nos Amours" never had a crowd that bad.....

Montreal is a better baseball town than Miami

MUsoxfan
09-13-2007, 11:54 AM
http://www.nndb.com/people/839/000023770/uecker-sized.jpg

"They love their team here in South Florida, folks!"

skottyj242
09-13-2007, 11:59 AM
That would be awsome to be at. I like it when the park is empty, like yesterday. I feel special.

FloridaTigers
09-13-2007, 01:11 PM
They have two future Hall of Famers?

They'll just be traded away within three years. Watch. I was a Marlins fan in 1997 as a kid. That kind of **** rips your heart out as a baseball fan when you're a kid. Same thing happened ot my brother in 2003. He ended up a Tigers fan too after that massive firesale.

Whats the point of going to see "developing" "future" talent that will be gone in a few years, especially when the ballpark is a football stadium that is far off in the middle of nowhere? Build a new ballpark in downtown Miami and fans will show up. But theres also the problem of not trusting the organization. Why bother showing up if the team will move or trade away everyone when they start winning again?

Miami is full of transplants from everywhere. A-Rod is from Miami, as was Palmeiro and Canseco. Miami is a baseball haven for talent. But fans already have had allegiances to other teams before they move to Miami. So you must attract the younger generation, and have failed to keep them TWICE with stupid firesales.

jabrch
09-13-2007, 01:26 PM

They'll just be traded away within three years. Watch. I was a Marlins fan in 1997 as a kid. That kind of **** rips your heart out as a baseball fan when you're a kid. Same thing happened ot my brother in 2003. He ended up a Tigers fan too after that massive firesale.

That's dedication for you...

salty99
09-13-2007, 01:28 PM
That would be awsome to be at. I like it when the park is empty, like yesterday. I feel special.

or like after the rain delay the other night. Hey it might be the only chance of ever getting a home run ball...hahaha

Johnny Mostil
09-13-2007, 01:35 PM
Even "Nos Amours" never had a crowd that bad.....

Maybe, but, just checking baseball-reference.com, I say it doesn't appear the turnstiles were well-oiled when the Expos were playing ball this bad.

This story isn't surprising. Two teams nearly 40 combined games out of first playing out the string on a midweek September afternoon? Zzzzzz . . .

FloridaTigers
09-13-2007, 01:39 PM
That's dedication for you...

Gary Sheffield was my favorite Marlin. When you're 7 or 8, you care alot more about the players than the team itself. When the rest of the team was traded, I was hurt. A ton of cool players were gone. But Gary was still here, so it was cool. Disappoint, but alright. When he was traded, it was devastating.

Of course, I care more about the team than any individual now, and I find it cool that Sheff is a Tiger now. Full circle. Besides, you won't find many Marlins fans my age who were fans in 1997. That crap really killed us as fans.

salty99
09-13-2007, 01:40 PM
I thought attendance threads weren't allowed here?

TDog
09-13-2007, 02:16 PM
I've seen crowds that were announced at not much more than 400.

On Sept. 21, 1970, 672 fans paid to see the last place White Sox play a traditional two-games-for-the-price-of-one doubleheader against the Royals. I don't know how many people were in the park when Art Kusnyer made his major league debut in the second game loss.

On Aug. 17, 1972, 655 fans paid to see the second-place Dick Allen-led White Sox beat the first-place Orioles in Baltimore, to pull within a half game of Oakland. The Orioles led fell to a half-game in front of the Tigers. Third baseman Ed Spezio prevented the Sox from making history that day. On defense, he had the only assist of the day for the Sox.

On May 6, 1971, the crowd was announced at 511 for a game at Old Comiskey against the Red Sox, with Gary Peters starting against his former team and Duane Josephson catching him. I don't know how many fans cheered after shortstop Looie Aparicio led off the game for the Red Sox with a double off of Bart Johnson. The crowd was probably much smaller in the eighth when Aparicio followed a Peters sacrifice with a single that scored Josephson. The crowd was probably smaller still when when Sox went down in the bottom of the eighth trailing 10-1.

Fenway
09-13-2007, 02:25 PM
I've seen crowds that were announced at not much more than 400.

On Sept. 21, 1970, 672 fans paid to see the last place White Sox play a traditional two-games-for-the-price-of-one doubleheader against the Royals. I don't know how many people were in the park when Art Kusnyer made his major league debut in the second game loss.

On Aug. 17, 1972, 655 fans paid to see the second-place Dick Allen-led White Sox beat the first-place Orioles in Baltimore, to pull within a half game of Oakland. The Orioles led fell to a half-game in front of the Tigers. Third baseman Ed Spezio prevented the Sox from making history that day. On defense, he had the only assist of the day for the Sox.

On May 6, 1971, the crowd was announced at 511 for a game at Old Comiskey against the Red Sox, with Gary Peters starting against his former team and Duane Josephson catching him. I don't know how many fans cheered after shortstop Looie Aparicio led off the game for the Red Sox with a double off of Bart Johnson. The crowd was probably much smaller in the eighth when Aparicio followed a Peters sacrifice with a single that scored Josephson. The crowd was probably smaller still when when Sox went down in the bottom of the eighth trailing 10-1.

April 9, 1997 the announced attendance at Comiskey was 746
http://retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1997/B04090CHA1997.htm

Lip Man 1
09-13-2007, 02:48 PM
Look at some of the attendance figures for the Sox in 69, 70 on Retrosheet

4-22-69: 1,058
5-17-69: 1,981

4-9-70: 1,474
4-10-70: 1,036
4-30-70: 1,469
9-21-70: 672
9-23-70: 693

In 1970 FOR THE SEASON the Sox drew a TOTAL of 495,355!

Lip

soxfanatlanta
09-13-2007, 02:48 PM

The high for that day was around freezing (33F), with some gusty winds. Yesterday's high in Miami was 91F. A bit different. :wink:

WhiteSoxJunkie
09-13-2007, 03:03 PM

It's almost as if they knew the white flag trade would happen 3 months later. :D:

SBSoxFan
09-13-2007, 03:10 PM
The high for that day was around freezing (33F), with some gusty winds. Yesterday's high in Miami was 91F. A bit different. :wink:

That's way too hot to attend a baseball game outdoors.

Johnny Mostil
09-13-2007, 03:11 PM

That's interesting, because wasn't that long after the AL (and, for that matter, the NL) started reporting attendance as tickets sold rather than persons past the turnstile? I've wondered why MLB doesn't report no-shows like the NFL does . . .

Dont Stop Belivn
09-13-2007, 03:12 PM
i cant believe this. 400 people? That is just sad. That would have been kind of a cool game to go to though. Just like Comiskey on rain-makeup game on monday afternoons

Fenway
09-13-2007, 03:17 PM
and believe it or not Bud Selig was one of the 400

Bud Selig upbeat over Marlins stadium plan (http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/news/video/southflorida?clipid=1706907&topVideoCatNo=104030&c=104030&autoStart=true&activePane=info&LaunchPageAdTag=homepage)

Hitmen77
09-13-2007, 03:18 PM

I seem to remember that were was something unusual about that game (other than it being cold out). Wasn't that a make up game that was rescheduled to a weekday afternoon game - or a make up for a suspended game or something?

I can't recall the specifics, but I want to say that this wasn't just a regularly scheduled game where the Sox only sold 746 tickets. Can anyone confirm this?

Fenway
09-13-2007, 03:23 PM
I seem to remember that were was something unusual about that game (other than it being cold out). Wasn't that a make up game that was rescheduled to a weekday afternoon game - or a make up for a suspended game or something?

I can't recall the specifics, but I want to say that this wasn't just a regularly scheduled game where the Sox only sold 746 tickets. Can anyone confirm this?

I think the game the night before was snowed out and it was a makeup game.

I remember watching it because Clemens was making one of his first starts in the twilight of his career in Toronto

thomas35forever
09-13-2007, 03:45 PM
One of those games where a fan can yell "Hey Vile Thing, I think I LOATHE YOU!"

Chips
09-13-2007, 03:49 PM

:D:

FloridaTigers
09-13-2007, 06:03 PM

You try sitting out there for a full nine-inning afternoon game in the sunny, humid, sticky, sweaty Miami sun! :wink:

HomeFish
09-13-2007, 06:21 PM

Whats the point of going to see "developing" "future" talent that will be gone in a few years, especially when the ballpark is a football stadium that is far off in the middle of nowhere? Build a new ballpark in downtown Miami and fans will show up. But theres also the problem of not trusting the organization. Why bother showing up if the team will move or trade away everyone when they start winning again?

Miami is full of transplants from everywhere. A-Rod is from Miami, as was Palmeiro and Canseco. Miami is a baseball haven for talent. But fans already have had allegiances to other teams before they move to Miami. So you must attract the younger generation, and have failed to keep them TWICE with stupid firesales.

The thing is, those Marlins teams have a knack of winning the World Series before being dismantled.

oeo
09-13-2007, 06:58 PM

I said they 'very well' could have two future HOF'ers. Of course they're still both very young, but Miguel Cabrera and Hanley Ramirez look like they could both have two of the best careers in the history of the game.

Railsplitter
09-13-2007, 07:47 PM
Red Barber was fired from his job as Yankees announcer in 1966 after her wondered on air how many people (about 600, as it turned out) were at Yankee stadium the last day of the season.

Brian26
09-13-2007, 07:57 PM

You've got to love a Sox lineup with such fan friendly players as Albert Belle and Tony Phillips.

Brian26
09-13-2007, 08:01 PM
I remember watching it because Clemens was making one of his first starts in the twilight of his career in Toronto

:schueler

"Keep talking, Carmine. Remember me signing Ellis Burks in '93 for a 10 cents on the dollar?"

PKalltheway
09-14-2007, 02:07 AM
Wow, that's terrible. Then again, it's a Nationals/Marlins game on a Thursday afternoon in mid-September in Florida, which equals BORING. Granted, I do like Hanley Ramirez, Miguel Cabrera, and Dan Uggla, and I have nothing against these teams, but the Marlins and Nats played their way out of contention a LONG time ago...

IlliniSox4Life
09-14-2007, 03:08 AM
I was looking at the high res image of the stadium earlier, and that was just pathetic. I'm not surprised knowing the state baseball has been down there for a while, but you would think that if you are pretty much guaranteed first or second row seats almost anywhere in the stadium for relatively cheap, people would start to show up. I can't believe that it has gotten that bad.

Beautox
09-14-2007, 04:41 AM
a picture from the game.

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/MDS106091216_800x600.jpg

soxfan80
09-14-2007, 08:31 AM
That's interesting, because wasn't that long after the AL (and, for that matter, the NL) started reporting attendance as tickets sold rather than persons past the turnstile? I've wondered why MLB doesn't report no-shows like the NFL does . . .becasue nfl teams buy out unsold tickets top make sure games are "sold out" so they are not blacked put. baseball games are televised no matter what

Johnny Mostil
09-14-2007, 10:03 AM
becasue nfl teams buy out unsold tickets top make sure games are "sold out" so they are not blacked put. baseball games are televised no matter what

Fair enough, but then I just wish MLB would call it "tickets sold" rather than attendance. (Yes, maybe I'm being too semantic about a point nobody really cares about.)

PatK
09-14-2007, 10:07 AM
Wasn't there also some kind of promotion going on in that game in 1997?

SOXPHILE
09-14-2007, 10:09 AM
Reminds me of a mid September game I went to up at old County Stadium between the Red Sox and Brewers back in the mid 80's. Both teams = bad. There were maybe 1200 people there. We were sitting by the tarp on the 3rd base side, bantering back and forth with the 3rd base umpire. He actually came over and talked with us a couple of times between innings.

mrfourni
09-14-2007, 10:53 AM

Wasn't it "Everybody goes home with a foul ball day?"

TDog
09-14-2007, 11:10 AM
Wow, that's terrible. Then again, it's a Nationals/Marlins game on a Thursday afternoon in mid-September in Florida, which equals BORING. Granted, I do like Hanley Ramirez, Miguel Cabrera, and Dan Uggla, and I have nothing against these teams, but the Marlins and Nats played their way out of contention a LONG time ago...

Just because two teams are out of contention late in the season doesn't mean it's going to be a boring game. Florida and Washington in April or May has no more postseason implications than the two teams hooking up in September. A championship game, on the other hand, can be boring even if you have two great teams and the stakes are high. You really can't compare baseball to football, but the last football game I watched was the Bears in the Super Bowl. The Bears won by a wide margin (I've forgotten the score), but I missed most of the game because it literally put me to sleep.

Football attendance is interwoven with federal legislation. Football used to black out home games. Around 1970 when I was forced to spend time in Minneapolis, they used to show home Vikings games late on Sunday nights, as if people could stay awake for the games in the middle of the night when they already know the final score. Congress passed a law lifting the blackouts for sellouts, all the games being televised by the networks. The league reported no-shows to advance their argument that lifting blackouts was bad for the game. Teams like the one that played in Arizona, as a matter of public relations and to save the embarrassment of being blacked out, began buying up their remaining tickets.

As for the dismal crowds in baseball, a sport where games are played nearly ever day for six months, the worst showings come when there is no season ticket sales -- like minor league playoff games that appear on short notice and only attract the hardcore fans. There is always some reason when the announced attendance is less than 1,000.

The doubleheader against the Royals in 1970 was added to the schedule because two games were rained out in Kansas City. The Sox ran a promotion with open seasting. Anywhere in the park for $1, or something like that. It could have been 50 cents. The most expensive seat at the time was $3.50. Early season make-ups of games that are snowed out are often played in conditions nearly as bad as the ones that forced the postponement, but with no advanced ticket sales. The amazingly low attendance I remember was in Baltimore, among two teams in the thick of their division races in mid-August. That's what the lack of advance sales will do for a game.

Hitmen77
09-14-2007, 11:17 AM
I think the game the night before was snowed out and it was a makeup game.

...and wasn't this in the days when tickets from a canceled game were not automatically applied to the rescheduled game and fans could use their tickets from a postponement as a raincheck for any future game?

If I'm not mistaken, things are a little different today where tickets sold for the canceled game are automatically applied to the rescheduled game. So, you wouldn't see a situation today at the Cell where the Sox had a make-up game and start off with zero tickets sold. Heck, even season ticket holders (assuming the Sox had more that 764 in '97) would automatically inflate the reported attendance for such a game if it happened today.

Yes, it was "Rescheduled Game on a 35 Degree Workday Day" :redneck

WizardsofOzzie
09-14-2007, 11:44 AM

Look at the bright side. At least with the Marlins method, they've won 2 more World Series' than the Cubs have the last century in a fraction of the time :redneck

TDog
09-14-2007, 11:49 AM
Look at the bright side. At least with the Marlins method, they've won 2 more World Series' than the Cubs have the last century in a fraction of the time :redneck

Or for that matter, twice as many World Series championships in one decade than the White Sox have won in about nine decades.

Funny, though, the Marlins have never finished in first place.

johnr1note
09-14-2007, 11:57 AM
I was a Marlins fan in 1997 as a kid.

That means you're still a kid.

Smokey Burg
09-14-2007, 01:10 PM
I was at Wrigley field in '74 or '75 when the announced attendance was 1200. It was the only time that I was there that I didn't have to wait in line for 2 innings to get a hot dog. With the way that shee-ple flock to that place now, it may be hard to believe that they couldn't give tickets away in the mid-70's. I have never been to a Sox game that was that poorly attended.

TDog
09-14-2007, 02:13 PM
I was at Wrigley field in '74 or '75 when the announced attendance was 1200. It was the only time that I was there that I didn't have to wait in line for 2 innings to get a hot dog. With the way that shee-ple flock to that place now, it may be hard to believe that they couldn't give tickets away in the mid-70's. I have never been to a Sox game that was that poorly attended.

When I was a kid (first half of the 1970s -- no Marlins in those days), the Cubs used to close the upper deck on cold April afternoons when attendance was less than 10,000.

I found an April 11, 1975, game at Wrigley Field, the second game of the season, with an official attendance of 2,109. Two games against the Mets in late September drew 2,443 and 2,113. The next game against the Expos drew 1,423. The Cubs lost in 12 innings. I'm sure the park was nearly empty before the final out. Five days earlier, the Cubs and Expos drew 20,790 in the great baseball city of Montreal.

It wasn't any better for the White Sox in 1975. A September 4 game against the Royals drew 1,569. In fact, in September 1975, the Sox had no home crowds in excess of 10,000. Low attendance was not just a fact for the Sox and Cubs, though. But for a crowd of 11,102 in Arlington, Texas, on September 13, every Sox away game drew less than 10,000 as well.

The Sox had to close upper deck for the first Saturday and Sunday of 2003 against the Tigers because of bitter cold. I attended both games, in half-price seats in rightfield fair territory. It seemed like no one else was at the park for those games, but with the season-ticket foundation, attendance was announced at more than 14,000 and 16,000.

tebman
09-14-2007, 02:36 PM
When I was a kid (first half of the 1970s -- no Marlins in those days), the Cubs used to close the upper deck on cold April afternoons when attendance was less than 10,000.

If I'm not mistaken, the UD at Wrigley Field was closed on weekdays for many years, regardless of the weather. This was before lights and while the Wrigley family still owned the team. Lip or another historian may have more accurate information.

Routine sellouts and crowds of 30K+ are a recent phenomenon for baseball in general. Ironic that in those decades that are described as baseballs "Golden Age" the average crowds were much smaller than they are now.

Lip Man 1
09-14-2007, 04:04 PM
As late as September 1983 Wrigley Field's upper deck area was closed due to lack of fans. This was shown during the WLS-TV special 'Sox On The Move' which aired shortly before the LCS started. The late Tim Weigle was at Wrigley during a segment, talking about and showing the reaction of Cub fans to the Sox success.

I have the tape.

Lip

Nellie_Fox
09-15-2007, 12:06 AM
Routine sellouts and crowds of 30K+ are a recent phenomenon for baseball in general. Ironic that in those decades that are described as baseballs "Golden Age" the average crowds were much smaller than they are now.I'm not sure what you are considering the "Golden Age." If you are talking about the 30's, 40's, even the 50's, it was a very different world. Even those clubs that had lights still played mostly day games, and people had to work. Families didn't have the kind of disposable income that they do today. Growing up in the fifties, I knew lots of families that didn't even have a car. Going to a baseball game was a huge luxury. And, populations were smaller. Oh, the city had a larger population than it does now, but the suburban ring was far smaller, so the "greater Chicagoland area" had a much smaller population to draw from.

tebman
09-15-2007, 03:11 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the UD at Wrigley Field was closed on weekdays for many years, regardless of the weather. This was before lights and while the Wrigley family still owned the team. Lip or another historian may have more accurate information.

Routine sellouts and crowds of 30K+ are a recent phenomenon for baseball in general. Ironic that in those decades that are described as baseballs "Golden Age" the average crowds were much smaller than they are now.

I'm not sure what you are considering the "Golden Age." If you are talking about the 30's, 40's, even the 50's, it was a very different world. Even those clubs that had lights still played mostly day games, and people had to work. Families didn't have the kind of disposable income that they do today. Growing up in the fifties, I knew lots of families that didn't even have a car. Going to a baseball game was a huge luxury. And, populations were smaller. Oh, the city had a larger population than it does now, but the suburban ring was far smaller, so the "greater Chicagoland area" had a much smaller population to draw from.
Yes, the '30s through the '50s was what I was referring to. You're absolutely right -- it was a very different world. More day games, smaller incomes, less mobility, but on the other hand, baseball had very little competition from other professional sports.

I've been a big baseball fan since the '50s too and I'm delighted that attendance now is as high as it is. Maybe "golden age" is overstating it, but that's the term I've heard describing those years by those (Ken Burns, ESPN Classic, Roger Angell, etc.) who regard the decades of Yankees-Dodgers dominance as the paragon of sports history. Actually, it's much better now -- I'll take this era over that one.

Fenway
09-17-2007, 09:06 AM
A Montreal columnist noted the game

Killing 'em softly: Hey, can Jeffrey Loria and David Samson kill a franchise or what? Even winning a World Series with a team put together by Dave Dombrowski doesn't help.

Our spies in South Florida say there was one game last week when the Marlins had 400 people in the stands as the game started and 200 when it ended. Even the Expos did better than that.

Hey, maybe Budless Selig can arrange for these clowns to take over the New York Yankees.

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/sports/story.html?id=068dbfbf-f243-4bff-ac7e-d6abb09b8a91

Sockinchisox
09-17-2007, 10:33 AM

So Gio is already assured entrance into the HOF?!?!?!?!?! :smile:

Nellie_Fox
09-17-2007, 10:36 AM
So Gio is already assured entrance into the HOF?!?!?!?!?! :smile:
:tealpolice:
:tealtutor:

MiamiSpartan
10-16-2007, 06:09 AM
As late as September 1983 Wrigley Field's upper deck area was closed due to lack of fans. This was shown during the WLS-TV special 'Sox On The Move' which aired shortly before the LCS started. The late Tim Weigle was at Wrigley during a segment, talking about and showing the reaction of Cub fans to the Sox success.

I have the tape.

Lip

Most of the time while I was growing up, the cubs and sox were lucky to have 6000 fans in attendance...this was happening until the early to mid 80s....on a Marlin's ballpark front, the county is coming up with $50 million dollars, which is the amt needed to fund the new park. The money is coming from the $ set aside for Orange Bowl remodel, which is now not happening due to the U of Miami moving their home games to Dolphin Stadium...
Looks like there is finally some positive news on the ballpark front...which will also likely mean a name change to the Miami Marlins...

Fenway
10-16-2007, 10:20 AM
Listening to XM this morning it seems the Marlins want no part of the Orange Bowl location

I met David Samson when he was running the Expos and he is a complete lunatic.

He enraged Montreal sports fans when he called les Alouettes de Montréal a pathetic minor league football club and should not take advertising dollars from the Expos.

The CFL maybe a shell of what it used to be but it is loved by the fans in Canada.

more from the Miami Herald

Marlins may get $50 million for stadium (http://www.miamiherald.com/591/story/272955.html)

BY CHARLES RABIN

The Florida Marlins moved a step closer to getting the missing chunk of money they claim has held the team back from building a new stadium for most of the past decade.

BTW there is real bad blood between the Dolphins and Marlins as the football team ordered WQAM not to broadcast baseball games anymore.

Nellie_Fox
10-16-2007, 10:50 AM
Don't resurrect long-dead threads.