09-13-2007, 12:12 PM
http://www.startribune.com/twins/story/1420419.html

Wow. Press conference at 2PM.

itsnotrequired
09-13-2007, 12:13 PM
Damn, seems pretty out of the blue.

Dan Mega
09-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Guess we'll find out whats up. I think he could be the best GM in baseball.

The Immigrant
09-13-2007, 12:22 PM
Hopefully they'll hire Dave Littlefield to replace him.

Fenway
09-13-2007, 12:24 PM
I hope he isn't ill.

You would think he would want to be there for the new ballpark :(:

TwinKess
09-13-2007, 12:32 PM
I just came over here to post this, but someone beat me to it. 'Wow' is all I can say. Kind of in shock.

itsnotrequired
09-13-2007, 12:38 PM
Terry Ryan hand-slaughters every pig that goes into the infamous Dome Dogs. It is his both his gift and his curse. I imagine he wants to head west on the sunny side of the street, with his worries laid down by the way-side.

FedEx227
09-13-2007, 12:38 PM
Wow, something must be up here. Easily a top 3 GM in baseball.

soxfanatlanta
09-13-2007, 12:41 PM

Terry Ryan will step down as Twins general manager and be succeeded by longtime assistant Bill Smith, according to three persons within the organization.

INR: HorseMasterFred, is that you :?:

09-13-2007, 01:22 PM
Must have just given up after Torii turned down his 15 mil/year deal and the inevitable departure of Santana around the corner.

I hate the Twins and their fans. I hope they plummet below Royals quality of baseball.

Not a shame in my mind.

Oblong
09-13-2007, 01:30 PM
wow.... good news for fans of the other AL Central teams.

chisoxmike
09-13-2007, 01:38 PM
First of all, I hope nothing is wrong with him or his family. Second...

BURN TWINS BURN!!!!! I think the ship is (finally) sinking, friends!

:moonwalk: :moonwalk: :moonwalk: :moonwalk:

:supernana::supernana::supernana::supernana:

chisoxmike
09-13-2007, 01:43 PM
I hate the Twins and their fans. I hope they plummet below Royals quality of baseball.

Not a shame in my mind.

:thumbsup:

:gulp:

Rocky Soprano
09-13-2007, 01:54 PM
Must have just given up after Torii turned down his 15 mil/year deal and the inevitable departure of Santana around the corner.

Not a shame in my mind.

:(: All the way to White Sox quality?

getonbckthr
09-13-2007, 02:00 PM
This might be the best news since the World Series victory. No i'm not joking either.

The Immigrant
09-13-2007, 02:05 PM
My only hope is that he doesn't eventually replace Jim Hendry.

FloridaTigers
09-13-2007, 02:06 PM
I hope he isn't ill or anything.

Other than that, its about time the Twins started to sink.

thedudeabides
09-13-2007, 02:07 PM

Not a shame in my mind.

This certainly has to have something to do with it. It's hard to get better after losing those type of players. As good as a GM as he's been, imagine if he has some more resources.

itsnotrequired
09-13-2007, 02:09 PM
This certainly has to have something to do with it. It's hard to get better after losing those type of players. As good as a GM as he's been, imagine if he has some more resources.

I highly doubt Ryan is "giving up" because of difficulty signing free agents.

09-13-2007, 02:11 PM
:(: All the way to White Sox quality?

Exactly! :D:

Flight #24
09-13-2007, 02:24 PM
All I can say is.....your new White Sox Director of Minor League Operation - Terry Ryan!

thedudeabides
09-13-2007, 02:38 PM
I highly doubt Ryan is "giving up" because of difficulty signing free agents.

I don't mean to be presumptuous or imply he's giving up, but I could see why the situation could be frustrating. Either way, there's probably more to the story. The article says he staying with the Twins in a different capacity, so I hope it's not a personal issue that made him step down.

Hitmen77
09-13-2007, 02:47 PM

Be careful what you wish for - if that happened, look for the Twins to trade Johan Santana to the Cubs for Neil Cotts.

itsnotrequired
09-13-2007, 02:51 PM
Be careful what you wish for - if that happened, look for the Twins to trade Johan Santana to the Cubs for Neil Cotts.

I would rather the Sox face Cotts than Santana.

mjmcend
09-13-2007, 03:02 PM
From Rotoworld:

Terry Ryan will step down as the Twins' general manager and be replaced by assistant Bill Smith.
A shock. Ryan has had an absolutely terrible year, but he still qualifies as one of baseball's top 10 or so GMs based on what he's done in the past. His team has won the AL Central four times in the last seven years. It doesn't sound as if the 52-year-old Ryan is looking for a new challenge. He is expected to stay within the organization as a senior adviser. Sep. 13 - 1:55 pm et

Hitmen77
09-13-2007, 03:06 PM
I would rather the Sox face Cotts than Santana.

Knowing our luck, he'd be "Cy" Cotts against us.

DumpJerry
09-13-2007, 03:10 PM
Maybe he'll get the Pirates' position that Rick Hahn withdrew from.

That would be sweet. A good GM in the NL Central.

TDog
09-13-2007, 03:31 PM
Knowing our luck, he'd be "Cy" Cotts against us.

Do you think Cotts, a southpaw, could get Pierzynski out in a tough situation?

Obviously, Ryan is stepping down because someone must be punished for the Twins' failure this year.

Lip Man 1
09-13-2007, 03:44 PM
ESPN story on this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3017356

Lip

Hitmen77
09-13-2007, 04:11 PM
Do you think Cotts, a southpaw, could get Pierzynski out in a tough situation? I guess I don't understand the question. Obviously a left handed hitter is generally at a disadvantage against a lefty. Does that mean that no one can even joke about the Sox obvious tendency to make mediocre pitchers look like Bob Gibson?

I didn't realize my little quip about Littlefield being a Hendry lacky was going to be taken so seriously as to put me on the defensive here. Anyone else want to pile on? :smile:

Obviously, Ryan is stepping down because someone must be punished for the Twins' failure this year.
That's what surprising about this move. I can't believe someone as successful has him is being forced out because of this one season at about .500 for the Twins.

Lip Man 1
09-13-2007, 05:07 PM
Considering all the injuries in Minnesota this year...to Liriano, Mauer, the bullpen, it's amazing they are around .500 with a shot to finish above it.

Lip

TDog
09-13-2007, 06:02 PM
I guess I don't understand the question. Obviously a left handed hitter is generally at a disadvantage against a lefty. Does that mean that no one can even joke about the Sox obvious tendency to make mediocre pitchers look like Bob Gibson?

I didn't realize my little quip about Littlefield being a Hendry lacky was going to be taken so seriously as to put me on the defensive here. Anyone else want to pile on? :smile: ...

Your comment seemed to imply the Sox have never faced Cotts or had success against him, when in fact they have (http://sportsline.com/mlb/gamecenter/recap/MLB_20070520_CHW@CHC), and with some success, if memory serves.

Pierzynski greeted ex-teammate Neal Cotts (http://sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/390801) with his homer to right-center field as the White Sox scored all seven runs with two outs. The rally started when Carlos Zambrano (http://sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/223692) hit Juan Uribe (http://sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/212040) with a pitch and then walked Jim Thome (http://sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/8127).
"He got two quick outs there in the seventh and then couldn't put the final out away," Cubs manager Lou Piniella said. "It's hard to score seven runs with two outs and nobody on."