PDA

View Full Version : HGH test available for next season?

itsnotrequired
09-13-2007, 09:09 AM
Major League Baseball, declaring its drug-testing program is stronger than even the Olympics' curriculum, hopes to have a blood test available next season that will catch players using human growth hormone.

The blood test, developed under the oversight of the World Anti-Doping Agency, was used on a limited basis in the 2004 and '06 Olympics. Now it will be available for mass use within months, said Olivier Rabin, WADA director of science. "This is great news," he said, "because we strongly believe that human growth hormone is abused in sports."

Use of the blood test would have to be collectively bargained with the MLB players union, which did not want to publicly comment.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2007-09-12-hgh-blood-test_N.htm

Oblong
09-13-2007, 10:11 AM
I read elsewhere that HGH doesn't even provide the benefits to athletes that they think it does. That's not to excuse it's use but to point out that this is all very silly if that's true. Like Bonds using steroids. "Dude, you were a HOFer anyway. Why mess it up with this?" Could save us all a lot of hassle in arguing and worrying about this.

Oblong
09-13-2007, 10:17 AM
Here's the link for those interested:

http://www.sabernomics.com/sabernomics/index.php/2007/04/i-dont-worry-about-hgh-in-baseball-and-neither-should-you

Basically the guy reads an article on slate saying HGH doesn't help athletes, and he talks to colleagues who are physiologists about it.

Foulke You
09-13-2007, 11:25 AM
Here's the link for those interested:

http://www.sabernomics.com/sabernomics/index.php/2007/04/i-dont-worry-about-hgh-in-baseball-and-neither-should-you

Basically the guy reads an article on slate saying HGH doesn't help athletes, and he talks to colleagues who are physiologists about it.
That is a really interesting article. I think we all just assumed that HGH somehow MUST have a positive effect on a player's performance. Never underestimate the stupidity of athletes I guess. It sounds like the potential side effects of HGH are even worse than roids. Having all your body parts start growing again doesn't sound good at all.:o:

soxfanatlanta
09-13-2007, 11:44 AM
That is a really interesting article. I think we all just assumed that HGH somehow MUST have a positive effect on a player's performance. Never underestimate the stupidity of athletes I guess. It sounds like the potential side effects of HGH are even worse than roids. Having all your body parts start growing again doesn't sound good at all.:o:

If you read the comments below the blog somebody brings up an interesting point. HGH by itself probably is not very effective, but used with other steroids, you get more benefits. HGH yields more cells, and anabolic 'roids makes them bigger/stronger.

Is there a doctor in the house?

Oblong
09-13-2007, 12:02 PM
If you go to the home page of that blog I linked to, he links to a Baltimore Sun article that goes into more detail. Some doctors think HGH helps the healing aspect and they go further into the combination with other drugs theory.

kevin57
09-13-2007, 07:01 PM
Whether it's effective or not, I think I hear the sound of knees knocking in many dugouts tonight.

thedudeabides
09-13-2007, 07:42 PM
According to the article all of your organs grow, as well as your muscles. If that's the case, is HGH big in the adult film industry? :cool:

Oblong
09-13-2007, 08:49 PM
My youngest son will probably get some HGH for a condition he has.

DumpJerry
09-13-2007, 11:51 PM
In a completely unrelated story whose timing is independent of any stories whatsoever about HGH testing, Barry Bonds says it is now time for him to spend more time with his family on summer vacations.

DumpJerry
09-13-2007, 11:53 PM
My youngest son will probably get some HGH for a condition he has.
That is what we would call "medically necessary." I hope it helps your son.

In the case of Barry Bonds, I would call it "ego necessary." I hope he rots in Hell.