PDA

View Full Version : M-v-p! M-v-p!

RKMeibalane
04-09-2002, 10:00 PM
I hate Royce Clayton. There is not a worse hitter in the Major Leagues than that man. I am interested in hearing about his defense either. What good does it do to have a player who can field, but can't hit? The idea is to get players who can do both. What is Clayton going to do in the ninth inning of games when the Sox are down by a run, with a man on second base? What makes Manuel believe that reliable Royce will come up big?

The man goes 1-3 today to raise his average to a Tony-Gwinn-like .095 (notice the sarcasm). Crede deserves to be with the team after the spring he had. Clayton is no better than that little league wannabe, Mike Caruso.

doublem23
04-09-2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
(notice the sarcasm).

Teal man.. :smile: It's all about the teal

GASHWOUND
04-09-2002, 11:04 PM
I hate Royce Clayton. There is not a worse hitter in the Major Leagues than that man. I am interested in hearing about his defense either. What good does it do to have a player who can field, but can't hit? The idea is to get players who can do both. What is Clayton going to do in the ninth inning of games when the Sox are down by a run, with a man on second base? What makes Manuel believe that reliable Royce will come up big?

The man goes 1-3 today to raise his average to a Tony-Gwinn-like .095 (notice the sarcasm). Crede deserves to be with the team after the spring he had. Clayton is no better than that little league wannabe, Mike Caruso.

Well, we had one in Ozzy who couldn't hit, but wa there to field. Same thing for Rex Ordoonez for the Mets, can't hit a lickbut is there fr his fielding.And he's our #9 htter in a very potent line-up...he doesn't really need to hit on this team, just play D.
Buti agree that I woud like to ee Crede at 3rd and move Jose back to SS. but you know why Royce is on this team

FarmerAndy
04-10-2002, 09:55 AM
I am interested in hearing about his defense either. What good does it do to have a player who can field, but can't hit? The idea is to get players who can do both.

I'm not going to argue specificly for Clayton, but it's silly to say it's no good to have somebody who can field well, but not hit well. "The idea is to get players who can do both". I will assume by that statement that you feel we should also get rid of Frank Thomas, Jose Valentin, and Carlos Lee because of their poor defense. After all, the idea is to get players who can do both.

This team has a lot of good hitters, and alot of really bad gloves. I don't mind having a #9 hitter who can't hit very well as long as he provides a solid glove at shortstop. If we are down late in the game, with runners on and it's his turn to bat, we have people like Graffy on the bench. If Clayton is allowed to bat and he whiffs, shame on Jerry Manuel, not Royce.

hold2dibber
04-10-2002, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy

I'm not going to argue specificly for Clayton, but it's silly to say it's no good to have somebody who can field well, but not hit well. "The idea is to get players who can do both". I will assume by that statement that you feel we should also get rid of Frank Thomas, Jose Valentin, and Carlos Lee because of their poor defense. After all, the idea is to get players who can do both.

This team has a lot of good hitters, and alot of really bad gloves. I don't mind having a #9 hitter who can't hit very well as long as he provides a solid glove at shortstop. If we are down late in the game, with runners on and it's his turn to bat, we have people like Graffy on the bench. If Clayton is allowed to bat and he whiffs, shame on Jerry Manuel, not Royce.

Very well said. I am worried about Manual's failure to use pinch hitters already this year. Leifer, Roward, and Graffinino all have solid bats and I would rather see any of them up there over Clayton in important situations.

ode to veeck
04-10-2002, 01:36 PM
Defensively, Royce doesn't hold a candle to Ozzie. Royce could be described as adequate defensively, Ozzie was a regular on plays of the week throughout his career

Bmr31
04-10-2002, 02:14 PM

how can you know so little about baseball? It just baffles me....

RedPinStripes
04-10-2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31

how can you know so little about baseball? It just baffles me.... How can you know so much about baseball? Now that baffles me.