PDA

View Full Version : Mark Grace- enough with the Cubs already

PatK
09-10-2007, 10:09 AM
Is it just me, or is Mark Grace a terrible color man when he does FOX?

I always thought he'd be a good one, but he's kind of lethargic and spends WAY too much time talking about the Cubs.

Especially during Saturday's White Sox vs Twins game.

He spent half an inning talking about how awesome it would be if the Cubs won the world series.

He talked about how great it was playing all those years for the Cubs. How great it was to play at Wrigley.

Hello Mark, you're doing a SOX GAME. Most people watching a Sox-Twins game have no desire to listen to you pontificate on the greatness of the Cubs and their fans.

It's not just that he does it during a Sox game, but I hear him lauding all things Cubdom every game he's working.

I thought he worked for the D-backs, so I could see if he made references to them. He is quickly ascending into the ranks of announcers that make me turn off the tv and put on the radio (or hit the mute).

hi im skot
09-10-2007, 10:35 AM
Grace wasn't the problem.

It was the play-by-play guy that kept randomly bringing up the Cubs.

"So, Mark...why do you think the Cubs can't win? Is it the curse, is it all of the day games?"

"Quite a race in the NL Central...let's take a look at the standings, as well as the upcoming schedule for the three teams in the playoff hunt."

"Back to the Cubs, is this the year they do it?"

Grace is a good baseball guy who knows his stuff. He was trying to focus on the game as much as possible.

DrCrawdad
09-10-2007, 11:16 AM
Is it just me, or is Mark Grace a terrible color man when he does FOX?

I always thought he'd be a good one, but he's kind of lethargic and spends WAY too much time talking about the Cubs.

Especially during Saturday's White Sox vs Twins game.

He spent half an inning talking about how awesome it would be if the Cubs won the world series.

He talked about how great it was playing all those years for the Cubs. How great it was to play at Wrigley.

Hello Mark, you're doing a SOX GAME. Most people watching a Sox-Twins game have no desire to listen to you pontificate on the greatness of the Cubs and their fans.

It's not just that he does it during a Sox game, but I hear him lauding all things Cubdom every game he's working.

I thought he worked for the D-backs, so I could see if he made references to them. He is quickly ascending into the ranks of announcers that make me turn off the tv and put on the radio (or hit the mute).

Yeah, I tried to watch the game and at one point I said to those in the room with me, "SHUT-UP ABOUT THE CUBBIES!"

It was so over-the-top. I can't help but think that some Twins may have been turned off by it too.

SOXPHILE
09-10-2007, 12:15 PM
I agree. Whoever was driving the topic, they did seem way too Cub-centric while broadcasting a Sox game. Once good thing that did happen, at least with my Fox feed: The sound from the announcers booth went out, or was cut for about 4 innings. You could hear the sounds of the game, but there was no announcing. I had no complaints.

skottyj242
09-10-2007, 12:31 PM
I wonder what all the anti Hawk and DJ people thought about it.

Foulke You
09-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Grace wasn't the problem.

It was the play-by-play guy that kept randomly bringing up the Cubs.

"So, Mark...why do you think the Cubs can't win? Is it the curse, is it all of the day games?"

"Quite a race in the NL Central...let's take a look at the standings, as well as the upcoming schedule for the three teams in the playoff hunt."

"Back to the Cubs, is this the year they do it?"

Grace is a good baseball guy who knows his stuff. He was trying to focus on the game as much as possible.
Bingo, the PBP guy was totally feeding him all the Cubs crap and Grace certainly had no problem blabbing about that for an entire inning. I'm glad someone started a thread on this because it really annoyed me. I wanted to puke when the PBP guy (can't remember his name) talked about how he wanted to be in Chicago when the Cubs won it. The exchange was:

PBP: "Boy, I'd like to be here when they do win it! That would be something else huh Gracie?"

Grace: "It sure would. I think Mrs O' Leary's cow would tip the lantern over once again."

They went on for another minute or two on how great it would be, but kudos to the FOX camera guy for panning up to show the 2005 World Series Champions banner hanging in OUR park. There was a 15 second pause from the PBP guy and Grace after the camera focused in on our banner and then he said something like "...there you see, the championship the White Sox won 2 years ago." and then he left it at that. Nothing about how awesome it was for OUR fans or how great it was for the city when the SOX won it. Oh no, we got to hear about how great it would be for the Cubs to win it and the "exciting" race in the NL Central. I know I shouldn't be surprised or let this crap bother me but it gets real old after a while.

MeteorsSox4367
09-10-2007, 12:40 PM
Making it even more nauseating was that the PBP guy was Dan McLaughlin, who in addition to having that annoying broadcasting school voice, is the PBP guy for the CARDINALS.

His team is still in the race and he wants to talk about the Cubs?

DrCrawdad
09-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Bingo, the PBP guy was totally feeding him all the Cubs crap and Grace certainly had no problem blabbing about that for an entire inning. I'm glad someone started a thread on this because it really annoyed me. I wanted to puke when the PBP guy (can't remember his name) talked about how he wanted to be in Chicago when the Cubs won it. The exchange was:

PBP: "Boy, I'd like to be here when they do win it! That would be something else huh Gracie?"

Grace: "It sure would. I think Mrs O' Leary's cow would tip the lantern over once again."

That's right. It wasn't just (lack of) Grace, as the PBP kept initiating the Cubbie-centric discussion. Not a big surprise though as the PBP was a NL guy IIRC and then they put Mark (lack of) Grace in the booth, someone who spent his entire career in the NL and then with the freakin' Cubbies.

They went on for another minute or two on how great it would be, but kudos to the FOX camera guy for panning up to show the 2005 World Series Champions banner hanging in OUR park. There was a 15 second pause from the PBP guy and Grace after the camera focused in on our banner and then he said something like "...there you see, the championship the White Sox won 2 years ago." and then he left it at that. Nothing about how awesome it was for OUR fans or how great it was for the city when the SOX won it. Oh no, we got to hear about how great it would be for the Cubs to win it and the "exciting" race in the NL Central. I know I shouldn't be surprised or let this crap bother me but it gets real old after a while.

And (lack of) Grace showed his Cubbie colors again in that response, as that is a typical comment from Cubbie fans. They act as though World Championships are so mundane, as if IF the Cubbies won they would drop talk of it the next season. No they are a team barely over .500 in a weak division and we're treated to Cubbie talk all over the Sox broadcast.

slavko
09-10-2007, 01:31 PM
Grace is obviously back in the Cubbie fold after they kicked his ass out to a World Chanmpionship in Arizona. Maybe he should have talked about that.

WhiteSox5187
09-10-2007, 10:46 PM
Mark Grace was one of the few Cubs' players I liked...having said that, even I got sick of hearing about it. But it WAS the PBP guy who kept bringing it up over and over and over again.

ode to veeck
09-10-2007, 11:13 PM
Mark Grace was one of the few Cubs' players I liked...having said that, even I got sick of hearing about it. But it WAS the PBP guy who kept bringing it up over and over and over again.

Yep, a fun loving, hard nosed player in the old school style, just afflicted with another form of flubsession. On the other hand I would rather listen to Mark covering a game and talking about the Cubs than to have to suffer Joe Buck covering anything. I just plain turned the sound off for the Bears on Fox yesterday and watched the video.

PatK
09-11-2007, 08:05 AM
Joe Buck ruins everything.

FoulTerritory
09-11-2007, 09:15 AM
Joe Buck ruins everything.

Ha! That should be on a t-shirt.

New catchphrase: "Joe Buck ruins everything"

TDog
09-11-2007, 11:36 AM
For people who believe a Cubs championship wouldn't hurt the Sox or that the Sox winning a championship before the Cubs makes the Cubs winning acceptable, the Cubs love described here (I didn't see it) is just a taste of what the future could hold.

Foulke You
09-11-2007, 12:52 PM
Making it even more nauseating was that the PBP guy was Dan McLaughlin, who in addition to having that annoying broadcasting school voice
FOX must have a factory that churns out PBP broadcasters who all sound the same. Josh Lewin, Thom Brenneman, Dan McLaughlin...I honestly can't tell the difference between any of these guys when they are on the air. They ALL sound exactly alike. It really makes me appreciate talented play by play men like John Rooney. Even ol' Hawk has his own style and unique sounding voice to keep it interesting. I think I'd go nuts if I had to listen to one of those phony generic Fox PBP guys for an entire 162 game season.

Allow me to echo the comments of a previous poster though. Nothing is worse than Joe Buck. He is the worst of the worst at Fox so naturally, he is part of their "A" announce team.

BainesHOF
09-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Grace is awful. He's way too cocky, especially for a former Punch-and-Judy hitting first baseman. The way he regularly uses harsh language when he criticizes a player is a turnoff. You can make your point without being a big-man jerk about it.

kevin57
09-12-2007, 10:20 AM
Grace is typical of a certain dynamic...and it's a baffling one at that.

Nearly every Cub player who leaves the organization pines for Urinal, Inc., while all too many Sox players who leave feel alienated, angry, etc.

A lot of people say that's because the Sox are lousy at the diplomacy of letting someone go...but it's hard to believe that we get it wrong so often, and they get it right all the time.

TDog
09-12-2007, 11:37 AM

Nearly every Cub player who leaves the organization pines for Urinal, Inc., while all too many Sox players who leave feel alienated, angry, etc.

A lot of people say that's because the Sox are lousy at the diplomacy of letting someone go...but it's hard to believe that we get it wrong so often, and they get it right all the time.

Don't you remember Sammy Sosa saying when the was enjoying the peak of his popularity with the Cubs that playing for the White Sox was like being in prison?

Foulke You
09-12-2007, 12:25 PM

I disagree with this statement. Sure, some Sox players leave in a huff but eventually come back to the organization and have good things to say about it. Robin Ventura, Jack McDowell, and Ozzie Guillen come to mind. There are some that leave gracefully too like Aaron Rowand did saying that he had nothing but respect for the city, fans, and organization. Iguchi also left the White Sox gracefully. Ron Kittle and Don Pall also speak well of the Sox organization so it isn't all doom and gloom for former players speaking of their Sox days.

Obviously, the biggest PR blunder the Sox did regarding a player was how they handled the Fisk situation. That whole thing could have been handled better by the organization AND Fisk.

kevin57
09-12-2007, 09:12 PM
I disagree with this statement. Sure, some Sox players leave in a huff but eventually come back to the organization and have good things to say about it. Robin Ventura, Jack McDowell, and Ozzie Guillen come to mind. There are some that leave gracefully too like Aaron Rowand did saying that he had nothing but respect for the city, fans, and organization. Iguchi also left the White Sox gracefully. Ron Kittle and Don Pall also speak well of the Sox organization so it isn't all doom and gloom for former players speaking of their Sox days.

Point well taken...but do you have an insight into the other part of what I was saying, that former Cubbies can't get enough of sucking up long after they're outta there?

DrCrawdad
09-12-2007, 11:54 PM

Obviously, the biggest PR blunder the Sox did regarding a player was how they handled the Fisk situation. That whole thing could have been handled better by the organization AND Fisk.

Thanks, I completely agree. This thought that former Sox players are disgruntled and ticked off is old Cub-poganda. No doubt there are some, but just consider the Sox major league organization. It's filled with former Sox players, starting right off with:

Kenny Williams
Ozzie Guillen
Larry Monroe
Bryan Little
Harold Baines
Joey Cora
Art Kusnyer
Mark Salas

Jerry Reinsdorf, while I've disagreed with some of his decisions, is an honorable guy and most of the people who work for him are very loyal to Jerry.

TDog
09-13-2007, 12:25 AM
Thanks, I completely agree. This thought that former Sox players are disgruntled and ticked off is old Cub-poganda. No doubt there are some, but just consider the Sox major league organization. It's filled with former Sox players, starting right off with:

Kenny Williams
Ozzie Guillen
Larry Monroe
Bryan Little
Harold Baines
Joey Cora
Art Kusnyer
Mark Salas

Jerry Reinsdorf, while I've disagreed with some of his decisions, is an honorable guy and most of the people who work for him are very loyal to Jerry.

Art Kusnyer only played in four games for the Sox, all between Sept. 21 and Sept. 30, 1970, with the Sox about 50 games out of first. He came to bat 10 times and got a hit his last time up, in the ninth inning in loss No. 105, the second-to-last day of the season. I'm not disagreeing with your point, though. Greg Walker had some good years with the Sox, and you didn't mention him. The list becomes much longer when you mention the former Sox working in the farm system.