PDA

View Full Version : Sox are not alone

LITTLE NELL
09-10-2007, 05:23 AM
Hard to believe but the Astros and Sox are both in last place with almost identical records. Wasnt it 2 years ago we played the Astros in the WS?

The Critic
09-10-2007, 08:30 AM
It cost the Astros' manager and GM their jobs.
KW and Ozzie seem more than safe, based on JR's comments, but it'll be interesting to see if any organizational changes are made beyond the firing of Duane Shaffer.
This year has definitely made 2005 seem like a long time ago. At least we have the trophy to remember - Astros fans have the NL title, but I'd guess the WS sweep took some luster off of that.

CLR01
09-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Hard to believe but the Astros and Sox are both in last place with almost identical records. Wasnt it 2 years ago we played the Astros in the WS?

Is that seriously a question? :?:

IlliniSox4Life
09-10-2007, 10:26 AM

I think you're mistaken. Maybe that was some other sports team you are thinking of?

DumpJerry
09-10-2007, 11:47 AM
It's the Curse of the Extra Innings Game.

The Dude
09-10-2007, 03:43 PM
The main difference between the two teams is the Astros have no World Championships. That's why Ozzie and KW are still here and their two are not.
KW will right the ship or die (get fired) trying!

pierzynski07
09-10-2007, 05:49 PM
The main difference between the two teams is the Astros have no World Championships. That's why Ozzie and KW are still here and their two are not.
KW will right the ship or die (get fired) trying!
Actually, it's because the Astros owner wanted to see a change. JR, on the other hand, is happy with what he sees. :angry:

chisoxfanatic
09-10-2007, 05:56 PM
Actually, it's because the Astros owner wanted to see a change. JR, on the other hand, is happy with what he sees. :angry:
I fully disagree with the later part of your assessment there. I see an owner who's as pissed off about what's happened this season as any one of us, but feels it was nothing but a fluke season and that we'll be right back where we want to be next season.

goon
09-10-2007, 07:51 PM
It's the Curse of the Extra Innings Game.

LOL

Myrtle72
09-10-2007, 08:17 PM
I fully disagree with the later part of your assessment there. I see an owner who's as pissed off about what's happened this season as any one of us, but feels it was nothing but a fluke season and that we'll be right back where we want to be next season.

I'm still kind of on the fence on his ability to make a halfway decent trade. Regardless of his intentions (I think we can honestly say every GM wants the best for the team), I think his ability to execute needs some work.

JB98
09-10-2007, 09:22 PM

You're crazy if you think JR is happy about dishing out $109 million for a last-place team.

JB98
09-10-2007, 09:27 PM
It cost the Astros' manager and GM their jobs.
KW and Ozzie seem more than safe, based on JR's comments, but it'll be interesting to see if any organizational changes are made beyond the firing of Duane Shaffer.
This year has definitely made 2005 seem like a long time ago. At least we have the trophy to remember - Astros fans have the NL title, but I'd guess the WS sweep took some luster off of that.

I think the "organizational changes" will consist of unloading quite a few players. They've determined that the GM, the manager and the coaches are doing their job properly. That leaves only one explanation: The players aren't doing theirs.

The Dude
09-11-2007, 12:30 AM

JR is NOT happy with what he sees. How could anyone be happy with the current state? He DOES have faith that they can turn it around and right the ship because he has recently won with those two in charge. I'm glad you aren't in a position of authority because when things get tough, you shouldn't cut bait and abandon what you've invested in. If we continue to lose for a few years then obviously changes would be needed.
Be sure to re-register to Pierzynski08 when we get on a roll next season.:D:

JB98
09-11-2007, 12:54 AM
JR is NOT happy with what he sees. How could anyone be happy with the current state? He DOES have faith that they can turn it around and right the ship because he has recently won with those two in charge. I'm glad you aren't in a position of authority because when things get tough, you shouldn't cut bait and abandon what you've invested in. If we continue to lose for a few years then obviously changes would be needed.
Be sure to re-register to Pierzynski08 when we get on a roll next season.:D:

There are several franchises around baseball that cut bait and abandon what they've invested in at the drop of a hat. Baltimore, Cincinnati, that special Cubbie team with those great fans, Kansas City, Texas, Pittsburgh. All examples of franchises that haven't had much stability over the last 10 years or so. Each is also an example of a losing franchise.

As fans, we get out for blood sometimes. Some people just demand heads roll, but that isn't the prudent course of action. Are changes necessary? Yes. I disagree with the old adage of not being able to fire the players. Why not? In this day and age, you can make major roster changes in one offseason. KW has done that before. We should all give him the chance to pull it off again.

asindc
09-11-2007, 10:19 AM

I kinda like to hear why you think JR is happy about this.

HerzogVon
09-11-2007, 11:51 AM
You're crazy if you think JR is happy about dishing out $109 million for a last-place team.

He may not be happy, but Reinsdorf is nothing if not loyal; despite his image as a hard-nosed botom line guy. This often works to his detriment. One need only look at the Jerry Krause fiasco. How many years did the Bulls have to wallow in ineptitude before JR finally pulled the plug?

I fear the same thing is happening here. By the time that Reinsdorf realizes that KW was a one year wonder - why doesn't anyone bring up the Boomer Wells and Billy Koch debacles? - the Sox could well have endured the same sort of implosion that decimated Chicago's NBA franchise. And just where is the baseball equivalent of John Paxon supposed to come from?

Nellie_Fox
09-11-2007, 01:27 PM
By the time that Reinsdorf realizes that KW was a one year wonder - why doesn't anyone bring up the Boomer Wells and Billy Koch debacles? Yeah, because no other general manager has any bad deals on their résumé.

jabrch
09-11-2007, 03:19 PM

That's just flat out ignorant. It lacks any understanding or recognition of Reinsdorf's passion for winning.

DumpJerry
09-11-2007, 03:30 PM
I fear the same thing is happening here. By the time that Reinsdorf realizes that KW was a one year wonder - why doesn't anyone bring up the Boomer Wells and Billy Koch debacles? - the Sox could well have endured the same sort of implosion that decimated Chicago's NBA franchise. And just where is the baseball equivalent of John Paxon supposed to come from?

Yeah, because no other general manager has any bad deals on their résumé.
Even Theo Epstein has Matt Clement to brag about. Nobody is 100% dead on with predicting the future performance of a player. Let's talk about Kenny's other failures:
Bobby Jenks
Jermaine Dye
Tadahito Iguchi
AJ Pierzynski
el Duque
Jose Contreras ('05-'06)
Dustin Hermanson
Shingo Takatsu
Pods ('05)

Yup, KW looks like a bust to me.:rolleyes:

jdm2662
09-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Even Theo Epstein has Matt Clement to brag about. Nobody is 100% dead on with predicting the future performance of a player. Let's talk about Kenny's other failures:
Bobby Jenks
Jermaine Dye
Tadahito Iguchi
AJ Pierzynski
el Duque
Jose Contreras ('05-'06)
Dustin Hermanson
Shingo Takatsu
Pods ('05)

Don't forget about Theo's fine addition this season in RF, JD Drew.

kevin57
09-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Yup, Kenny and Ozzie are "safe" for now, but if the Sox continue in their inepitude, the 12,000 that will begin "filling" the Cell will force something drastic to be done beside slashing payroll.

We're not like Cubbie fans who will pay $$$ for crap.

pierzynski07
09-12-2007, 10:16 AM
Bobby Jenks
Jermaine Dye
Tadahito Iguchi
AJ Pierzynski
el Duque
Jose Contreras ('05-'06)
Dustin Hermanson
Shingo Takatsu
Pods ('05)

Certinally looks more like a one-year wonder.

kitekrazy
09-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Bobby Jenks
Jermaine Dye
Tadahito Iguchi
AJ Pierzynski
el Duque
Jose Contreras ('05-'06)
Dustin Hermanson
Shingo Takatsu
Pods ('05)

Just think how easy it would be to be the GM of the Yankees.
Most of those players are one year wonders but Kenny got the best value for their performance.
There's no reason to replace Kenny unless there is someone out there that's better, most likely those GMs are employed by someone else.