PDA

View Full Version : La Russa back to the White Sox?

Fenway
09-09-2007, 10:08 AM
from the Boston Sunday Globe
One of the interesting things in Chicago is the potential for Ozzie Guillen to receive a contract extension beyond his 2009 option year. This would be surprising because if Tony La Russa, who will become a free agent after the season, is out there, one would think Jerry Reinsdorf would love the chance to rehire him. "Ozzie Guillen can't be blamed entirely for what's happened with that baseball team," said an AL executive close to the White Sox situation, "but if you have a chance to get La Russa back here, why wouldn't you do it?" La Russa will have the option of returning to St. Louis, walking away for a year of R&R after a trying season, or possibly considering the Yankees situation if Joe Torre walks away.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2007/09/09/big_fish_in_a_small_pond/?page=full

soxinem1
09-09-2007, 10:29 AM
The Globe must be part of ESPN with the silly speculation and 'Inside Scoops'. No way this happens.

tebman
09-09-2007, 10:31 AM
That would be interesting and would create a lot of excitement, good and bad. The White Sox' descent this year calls for something to be done, but that's my worry -- there's a temptation to do something, whether it makes sense or not.

I like LaRussa and always thought he was a good manager. His success though has always depended on him having a lot of autonomy in the way the club is run. I don't get the impression that Ken Williams is willing to give that much autonomy to the field manager. Also, for reasons I never understood, LaRussa has a lot of detractors in Chicago who just don't like the guy. Replacing a fan favorite like Guillen with a polarizing figure like LaRussa would be a bad move on a team coming off a dismal year.

As has been said on WSI dozens of times before, the reasons for the 2007 Sox being so bad are many, and a most of them are not Guillen's fault. Injuries, slumps occurring at the worst times, inexplicable performance drops (e.g., Contreras), players obtained in trades who haven't performed the way their scouting reports said they would, and on and on.

LaRussa's time with the Sox has passed. KW needs to find a new angle to make the team competitive again.

spiffie
09-09-2007, 11:18 AM
Would JR pay the moving costs for Tony to bring his special chemistry lab with him?

Lip Man 1
09-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Three things...

1. Remember a few months ago that column by Mike Downey saying he's heard reports about a big name, unexpected manager taking over next season?

2. In a story in the Daily Southtown Sunday on 2008 Jerry Reinsdorf said he recently talked with Tony about the 1984 campaign. They are still close friends and stay in touch regularly.

3. Dave Nightengale in the print edition of The Sporting News in November 1996 had a long story on how LaRussa and Reinsdorf had a handshake agreement for him to return after the Sox dumped Bevington.

This COULD happen...will it? Personally I don't think so.

Now I could see Tony hired easily as a consultant aka Roland Hemond if he decides to retire from managing.

Lip

oeo
09-09-2007, 01:10 PM
This COULD happen...will it? Personally I don't think so.

And I hope you're right; Tony La Russa is a douchebag.

thomas35forever
09-09-2007, 02:05 PM
He'd probably be hired as a coach if he did indeed rejoin the White Sox organization in 2008.

WSox597
09-09-2007, 04:32 PM
I'd like to see it. It would be a definite upgrade. I hated to see LaRussa get fired by the nitwit in charge at the time.

Of course, said nitwit is now back behind a microphone. Strange how such incompetence is rewarded sometimes.

For those who dislike him, this is an opinion board, we just have different opinions.

TDog
09-09-2007, 05:16 PM
... if Tony La Russa, who will become a free agent after the season, is out there, one would think Jerry Reinsdorf would love the chance to rehire him.

Well, maybe more than one, but "one would think" seems to me like idle speculation.

slavko
09-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Tony will fix nothing, Nothing, NO-THING that's wrong with the team. I'd be very, very surprised, but JR's mind is a puzzle sometimes and he does value old friends, a category that includes Tony. Still, no.

MDF3530
09-09-2007, 07:20 PM
It was Hawk, not Jerry, that fired LaRussa. LaRussa was standing in the way of Hawk filling up the team with has-beens (remember Tom Seaver?) and never-weres like Wayne Tolleson and Fred Manrique.

TDog
09-09-2007, 09:32 PM
It was Hawk, not Jerry, that fired LaRussa. LaRussa was standing in the way of Hawk filling up the team with has-beens (remember Tom Seaver?) and never-weres like Wayne Tolleson and Fred Manrique.

This doesn't make much sense. Tom Seaver came to the Sox in 1984 and turned out to be their best pitcher, although he joined a staff with two 20-game winners from 1983. Harrelson came to be Sox general manager in 1986, the year that Seaver was traded mid-season.

TornLabrum
09-09-2007, 09:52 PM
This doesn't make much sense. Tom Seaver came to the Sox in 1984 and turned out to be their best pitcher, although he joined a staff with two 20-game winners from 1983. Harrelson came to be Sox general manager in 1986, the year that Seaver was traded mid-season.

Now why did you go and let facts get in the way of a good rant?

DumpJerry
09-09-2007, 10:09 PM
Consider the source. It ain't happening.

Anyway, we now know that Lou Pinella is greatest baseball mind in the history of the sport.

Noneck
09-09-2007, 10:32 PM
Reinsdorf has never spent big money on a manager, why would he now?

gosox41
09-09-2007, 10:47 PM
And I hope you're right; Tony La Russa is a douchebag.

No kidding. Biggest whiner ever. And don't get me started on the McGwire lovefest.

Bob

StillMissOzzie
09-10-2007, 12:44 AM
I used to be a pretty big LaRussa fan, but ever since he became the biggest ass-kisser for the players in any steroid discussion, particularly those involving Big Mac, I'd rather pass, thanks.

SMO
:gulp:

wilburaga
09-10-2007, 11:53 AM

Yes, and Manrique was brought in by Himes.

W

FedEx227
09-10-2007, 01:20 PM
Please no. I'm no Ozzie-fan, but TLR has to be my least favorite (current) manager. The only one near him is another steroid-apologist Dusty The "Dude".

soxfan13
09-10-2007, 01:58 PM

Yeah I remember his 31 wins in his 2 full seasons with the Sox, what about him:tongue:

Lip Man 1
09-10-2007, 04:59 PM
Actually it was 32 wins in 84 and 85... both times he had 16.

Lip

Johnny Mostil
09-10-2007, 05:38 PM
Actually it was 32 wins in 84 and 85... both times he had 16.

Lip

According to this (http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/seaveto01.shtml), it was 15 in '84, 16 in '85, and 2 in '86 before going to the other Sox . . .

Lip Man 1
09-10-2007, 05:51 PM
I stand corrected..thank you.

Lip

Johnny Mostil
09-10-2007, 06:31 PM
I stand corrected..thank you.

Lip

No problem. And kudos anyway to you and soxfan13 on your memory. I doubt I could have guessed within 5 of the total without looking it up:redface:.

ode to veeck
09-10-2007, 11:17 PM
Please no. I'm no Ozzie-fan, but TLR has to be my least favorite (current) manager. The only one near him is another steroid-apologist Dusty The "Dude".

Tony La Russa knows how to manage a decent baseball team. Dusty only knows how to run a good club into the ground (the Giants and Flubs are still in recovery mode years after the fact)

TDog
09-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Tony La Russa knows how to manage a decent baseball team. Dusty only knows how to run a good club into the ground (the Giants and Flubs are still in recovery mode years after the fact)

The Giants are in recovery mode because they Sabean built a team around Bonds, with a doubleplay combination of Vizquel and Durham. That may have been the direction Baker inspired, but they aren't in "recovery mode" because of Baker. The Cubs having cast Baker aside, are doing better than the Giants. The Cubs scarcely have a winning record, but being in first place a year after finishing in last place in a division won by a team scarcely above .500 isn't exactly "recovery mode."

Piniella is as overrated as Baker was coming to the Cubs. His bullpen has lost more games than the Sox bullpen, and the Sox have lost more games than the Cubs. The fact that the Cubs are where they are in the standings is attributable to the fact that they seem to own the Cardinals this year.

However, there are those that believe that with as little talent and big problems as the Cardinals have this year, this is LaRussa's finest season as a manager.

ode to veeck
09-11-2007, 12:22 PM
The Giants are in recovery mode because they Sabean built a team around Bonds, with a doubleplay combination of Vizquel and Durham. That may have been the direction Baker inspired, but they aren't in "recovery mode" because of Baker. The Cubs having cast Baker aside, are doing better than the Giants. The Cubs scarcely have a winning record, but being in first place a year after finishing in last place in a division won by a team scarcely above .500 isn't exactly "recovery mode."

Piniella is as overrated as Baker was coming to the Cubs. His bullpen has lost more games than the Sox bullpen, and the Sox have lost more games than the Cubs. The fact that the Cubs are where they are in the standings is attributable to the fact that they seem to own the Cardinals this year.

However, there are those that believe that with as little talent and big problems as the Cardinals have this year, this is LaRussa's finest season as a manager.

for sure, Sabean and Bonds have continued the tailspin that Dusty started. Even Giants fans are rooting for Barry to retire so the team can start to move on, its really been a painful season for most of the yuppified Giants fans

TDog
09-11-2007, 01:07 PM
for sure, Sabean and Bonds have continued the tailspin that Dusty started. Even Giants fans are rooting for Barry to retire so the team can start to move on, its really been a painful season for most of the yuppified Giants fans

The Giants fans who leave the park after Bonds bats in the seventh aren't sending the message the let's-move-on crowd wants to convey.

TornLabrum
09-11-2007, 05:55 PM
I love it when threads become moot.

Lip Man 1
09-11-2007, 11:09 PM
Hal:

Don't you mean a 'moo' point?

http://www.loftin-nc.com/Images/Stars/LeBlanc,%20Matt.jpg (http://www.loftin-nc.com/NewLayout/Stars/StarDetails.asp?StarID=282)

"That's the point of view of a cow!"

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
09-12-2007, 06:25 AM
I think Ozzie needs a new bench coach. :cool:

pierzynski07
09-12-2007, 09:24 AM
I think Ozzie needs a new bench coach. :cool:
I think Ozzie needs to move back to third base. :D: