PDA

View Full Version : Curtis Granderson closing in on history

Oblong
09-08-2007, 09:15 PM
With one more SB Curtis Granderson will become the third player in history to get 20 steals, 20 doubles, 20 triples, and 20 homers. (in a way it's already history since nobody else has those with only 19 steals either but we gotta play the round number game)

The only others to do it were Mays in 1957 and Frank Schulte in 1911.

Last night he became the fifth player in history, and first since Brett in 1979, to get 20 homers, 30 doubles, and 20 triples.

Even though he plays in what's called a triples park, he's got 13 on the road and 9 at home.

He's my favorite Tiger since Trammell. And he could surpass him. In essentially his second year.

santo=dorf
09-08-2007, 10:17 PM
He also has 20 walks, 20 RBI's and 20 singles. Not too shabby considering our resident manager here called him a "Shawon Dunston" clone and that Brian Anderson would be a better player. :anon:

Oblong
09-08-2007, 10:29 PM
Granderson vs. Sizemore?

.297/.353./.550, 135 OPS+, 300 total bases, 36 2B, 22 3B, 20 HR, 19 SB/1 CS, 46 BB, 131 K, 106 R, 68 RBI

.272/.382/.459 124 OPS+, 255 total bases, 29 2B, 3 3B, 23 HR, 30 SB/10 CS, 86 BB, 137 K, 104 R, 71 RBI

Their defense is pretty much equal.

I give the edge to Granderson this year but Grady has done it longer. But going forward may be a different story.

Brian26
09-08-2007, 11:26 PM
Granderson is a player. He single handidly won that July 25 game at the Cell with his speed on the bases. I'd love to have him on my team.

FloridaTigers
09-09-2007, 12:05 AM
Following Granderson has been a treat. I remember his first few games as well as his homerun, which I think was in the Metrodome. I don't remember him every being hyped up like Sizemore was, so to many people, Granderson has really come out of nowhere. His defense and offense just improves every season. He progresses, and its all the little things. Last year, he would strike out at any off-speed pitch thrown to him with two strikes. Now he's more selective, and can back off on a 0-2 or 1-2 count. He also gets better jumps on flyballs in the outfield. He truely seems to work hard on improving himself. Granderson is up with there when it comes to favorite Tigers.

GoSox2K3
09-09-2007, 12:09 AM
Granderson is a player. He single handidly won that July 25 game at the Cell with his speed on the bases. I'd love to have him on my team.

Nah, the Sox passed on this Blue Island native and UIC grad and drafted Jeremy Reed instead.

(of course, Reed did work out well for us in that he netted us Garcia - who helped us win the World Series in '05.)

ilsox7
09-09-2007, 12:12 AM
Nah, the Sox passed on this Blue Island native and UIC grad and drafted Jeremy Reed instead.

Every team passed on Granderson at least twice.

itsnotrequired
09-09-2007, 12:17 AM

This just shows that the Sox should finish last this year so they can get the first pick.

FarWestChicago
09-09-2007, 12:35 AM
With one more SB Curtis Granderson will become the third player in history to get 20 steals, 20 doubles, 20 triples, and 20 homers. (in a way it's already history since nobody else has those with only 19 steals either but we gotta play the round number game)

The only others to do it were Mays in 1957 and Frank Schulte in 1911.

Last night he became the fifth player in history, and first since Brett in 1979, to get 20 homers, 30 doubles, and 20 triples.

Even though he plays in what's called a triples park, he's got 13 on the road and 9 at home.

He's my favorite Tiger since Trammell. And he could surpass him. In essentially his second year.You left out the part about what a great human being he is. This is a young man to be admired, no matter what team he plays for. :thumbsup:

FarWestChicago
09-09-2007, 12:37 AM
Not too shabby considering our resident manager here called him a "Shawon Dunston" clone and that Brian Anderson would be a better player. :anon:Now that didn't work out so well, did it?

ilsox7
09-09-2007, 12:40 AM
You left out the part about what a great human being he is. This is a young man to be admired, no matter what team he plays for. :thumbsup:

He reminds me a lot of Thome. Great ball player, better person.

IlliniSox4Life
09-09-2007, 04:32 AM
I like Granderson, and wish him the best as long as he isn't playing us. I would love to see him on our team sometime in the future.

Oblong
09-09-2007, 09:17 AM
You left out the part about what a great human being he is. This is a young man to be admired, no matter what team he plays for. :thumbsup:

I didn't want to gush too much. He is a great human being and I have a specific example to share which I'll do later on tonight when I have more time.

His parents should write a book on parenting. They did a Spotlight FSN special on him during the off season. As someone with two young boys I want to know how they did it.

The dude still shops at Wal Mart!

balke
09-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Great for Granderson, but Rollins has a shot at going 30-40-20-30

He's got 35 Doubles, 26 Hr, 17 Triples, and 28 SB's. Triples are hard to come by, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he got 3 more by season's end. The guy is unreal.

DumpJerry
09-09-2007, 10:01 AM
Joe Montana went in the Third Round of the NFL draft.

Mark Buehrle got passed over by everyone. Several times.

gregoriop
09-09-2007, 02:04 PM
He's from Lynwood (I lived there too), he's a great guy and a great ballplayer. I'm a fan.

downstairs
09-09-2007, 02:07 PM
"History"?

Seems like an awfully arbitrary record to me.

FedEx227
09-09-2007, 02:18 PM
"History"?

Seems like an awfully arbitrary record to me.

How so?

It shows speed and consistency throughout an entire season. I'd be glad if any of our players even had 15 steals or 10 triples.

downstairs
09-09-2007, 04:17 PM
How so?

It shows speed and consistency throughout an entire season. I'd be glad if any of our players even had 15 steals or 10 triples.

They're amazing numbers, but calling it a historic record is kinda silly.

Similar to Greg Maddux's X years in a row with 15 wins... just a made up number to set an arbitraty benchmark

Oblong
09-09-2007, 05:47 PM
If someone has done something for the first time in a long time then it's historic. It doesn't mean he's as good as Willie Mays or that there's anything particularly special about it. It just is what it is. He got a nice round number in several important categories that has only been done a few times in history. But the perspective is always there. Round numbers get special attention. If a guy hit .398 for the season he'd not get nearly the attention as a guy who hit .401. But really what's the difference?

I'd put the Maddux achievement miles ahead of the Granderson achievement because it shows longevity over a career.

TDog
09-09-2007, 06:46 PM
How so?

The last player I remember hitting both 20 triples and 20 home runs in the same season was George Brett. Brett had more than twice the 20 doubles, along with 20 triples and 20 home runs one year. Unfortunately, his 1979 season was marred by the fact that he only stole 17 bases and struck out, not just 20, but an unacceptable 39 times en route to hitting .329. And less than half (105) of his 212 hits were for extra bases.

Granderson is having a great season for a team that won't make the playoffs. At the end of his career people may look back on it and say it is his career year. But obviously people have had greater all-around seasons. He will finish with more than 100 more strike outs more than George Brett had in 1979, and he will have far fewer hits, along with a lower batting average. Granderson won't come close to getting 200 hits or driving in more than 100 runs as Brett, with his measley 17 stolen bases, did.

Granderson's accomplishment has arbitrary elements.

MarySwiss
09-09-2007, 08:36 PM
If someone has done something for the first time in a long time then it's historic. It doesn't mean he's as good as Willie Mays or that there's anything particularly special about it. It just is what it is. He got a nice round number in several important categories that has only been done a few times in history. But the perspective is always there. Round numbers get special attention. If a guy hit .398 for the season he'd not get nearly the attention as a guy who hit .401. But really what's the difference?

I'd put the Maddux achievement miles ahead of the Granderson achievement because it shows longevity over a career.

Apples and oranges. Why are we comparing a pitcher with an outfielder?

Don't apologize, Oblong. Curtis Granderson is a special player for a lot of reasons, IMO, and Detroit as well as Chicago should be proud of him. In an era where players are suspect, he is a breath of fresh air.

soxinem1
09-09-2007, 09:39 PM
The thing I like the mmost about Granderson is the fact that he really appreciates being a MLB player. He is about as good as it gets for being an ambassador of the game, and really seems to be an all-around good guy.

When Leyland challenged him last year to pick up his production and began platooning him, he took the challenge like a man, didn't complain, and has made himself into one well-rounded player.

Let's hope DET flops next year and makes him available sometime iin the near future.....

DrCrawdad
09-09-2007, 10:21 PM
...The dude still shops at Wal Mart!

I'll try to not hold that against him...