PDA

View Full Version : Harang...

steveo_88(UK)
09-08-2007, 03:30 PM
...what are people's opinions on here about Aaron Harang of the Cincinnati Reds. My step dad has been to Cinci on his first trip to the US went to a Reds game so he supports them. I try to keep up-to-date on the Reds to have a basbeall orientated discussion with him. Over the season Harang has really stuck out in a pretty poor Reds side. Apart from Phillips and a more or less healthy Griffey and Dunn who scored alot of homers. His record of 14-4 and era of 3.68 is pretty good. Through the season he's been the only dependable pitcher for them especially with Bronson Arroyo having a stinker of a first half of the season. Now im not sure on the financial situation of the White Sox but if they went out to strengthen the rotation would Harang be an option?

PKalltheway
09-08-2007, 09:43 PM
Harang is a very, very solid pitcher. He pitches well, despite playing in the Great American Smallpark. There is a stat that I've seen before at Reds games, and IIRC, there have been four 1-0 games at GABP, and Harang has started all of them. A very solid, and a very underrated pitcher IMHO. Don't expect the pitching-starved Reds to give him up anytime soon.

steveo_88(UK)
09-09-2007, 04:48 PM
Thats why i was wondering about the financial situation with the Sox. From books that ive read over here it says the Reds have a smaller amount of money to spend on their team every year. So if Harang has another season like this at the Reds then they surely couldn't keep him. Surely someone would make a move. Im thinking the Yankees maybe to sure up their starting rotation, maybe a trade for Mussina, hes not been in their good books lately. Thats if they dont make the play-offs this year of course!

PKalltheway
09-09-2007, 04:56 PM
Thats why i was wondering about the financial situation with the Sox. From books that ive read over here it says the Reds have a smaller amount of money to spend on their team every year. So if Harang has another season like this at the Reds then they surely couldn't keep him. Surely someone would make a move. Im thinking the Yankees maybe to sure up their starting rotation, maybe a trade for Mussina, hes not been in their good books lately. Thats if they dont make the play-offs this year of course!
Well he just signed a four-year extension in February, so he's in the Reds' hands for a while now. By the time his contract is up, Griffey's mega-contract will be done and they will, perhaps, have enough money to re-sign him. Like I said, the Reds are desperate for pitching, and they're not about to let him get away too easily.

This is the story from February when the Reds re-signed Harang.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2756164

steveo_88(UK)
09-09-2007, 05:06 PM
Just looking over his stats on the reds.com website and over the last three season they have got slowly better. It says hes 29 now so if he was to stay there for 4 years at 33 would he be worth getting? Im not sure what age a pitcher is worth getting for a long term player? IMO if hes signed a four year deal hes probably enjoying playing and winning there so he wont move.

PKalltheway
09-09-2007, 05:12 PM
Just looking over his stats on the reds.com website and over the last three season they have got slowly better. It says hes 29 now so if he was to stay there for 4 years at 33 would he be worth getting? Im not sure what age a pitcher is worth getting for a long term player? IMO if hes signed a four year deal hes probably enjoying playing and winning there so he wont move.
It just depends on how things play out. If he's continuing to put up stellar numbers at 33, then it wouldn't hurt re-sign him for 3 or 4 more years. Good pitchers don't start to decline until their late 30's or early 40's anyway.

soxinem1
09-12-2007, 09:40 AM
I watched him pitch some good games when he was with OAK. Billy Beane was in love with his 'Big Three' and found Harang expendable.

Kicker is, TEX has been starving for starting pitching for years, but traded him to OAK for 74 year old INF (and former Sox farmhand) Randy Velarde.

The Sox have actually done well off him and he does give up a few HR's, but I'd rather have him than Garland any day.