PDA

View Full Version : Sox-Tigers fight

jdm2662
09-08-2007, 11:10 AM
I was actually working this day, and missed this all. It's the first time I've ever seen it. Now, I know why Fick and Higginson were tools. (Then again, Oblong himself said he hated both of them in the past...).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgQjJ9jktuo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w2LFzjxiTc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N9wciSeTfk

upperdeckusc
09-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Wow, great clips. I wish i could buy just that one game on DVD.

chisoxmike
09-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Wow. Thats the first time I've seen the whole thing.

Classic.

HawkDJ
09-08-2007, 11:40 AM
Hey, Maggs actually looks like a professional baseball player there.

hi im skot
09-08-2007, 11:56 AM
God, I hate Robert Fick.

Foulke You
09-08-2007, 11:56 AM
I was at that game! Ah, the memories. The BEST basebrawl(s) I've ever seen, bar none. It was also the only bench clearing brawl I've ever seen in person. Robert Fick's beer and peanut shower after flicking off the Sox fans in the bleachers was priceless.:cool:

Jeff Weaver was a huge knucklehead in that brawl as well. I remember him coming out from the locker room in a t shirt AFTER he was ejected to participate in the 2nd brawl after Howry plunked another Tigers batter. That little stunt cost Weaver a 15 game suspension if memory serves. There were a ton of suspensions handed out though. So many in fact, that they had to stagger them for both the Sox and Tigers so they had enough players for the upcoming games. Poor Jerry Manuel got a 3 game suspsension and he didn't even really do anything except stand around. I think Maggs got 5 games for his karate kick.:D:

The 2000 Sox were playing great before the brawl but they really jelled after the fight. I remember being worried that the suspensions would derail our hot start but the Sox kept right on trucking to a 95 win season.

sox1970
09-08-2007, 12:04 PM
Lot of Roids out there.

Dan Mega
09-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Wow, first time I've seen all of it too. Now THAT was a brawl. I like how you can clearly tell what Foulke was mouthing :bandance:

Parrothead
09-08-2007, 12:15 PM
I was at that game! Ah, the memories. The BEST basebrawl(s) I've ever seen, bar none. It was also the only bench clearing brawl I've ever seen in person. Robert Fick's beer and peanut shower after flicking off the Sox fans in the bleachers was priceless.:cool:

Jeff Weaver was a huge knucklehead in that brawl as well. I remember him coming out from the locker room in a t shirt AFTER he was ejected to participate in the 2nd brawl after Howry plunked another Tigers batter. That little stunt cost Weaver a 15 game suspension if memory serves. There were a ton of suspensions handed out though. So many in fact, that they had to stagger them for both the Sox and Tigers so they had enough players for the upcoming games. Poor Jerry Manuel got a 3 game suspsension and he didn't even really do anything except stand around. I think Maggs got 5 games for his karate kick.:D:

The 2000 Sox were playing great before the brawl but they really jelled after the fight. I remember being worried that the suspensions would derail our hot start but the Sox kept right on trucking to a 95 win season.

I was there too ! It was insane. I think there was a total of like 90 games suspended for both teams. It was the best fight I seen and I was at the Jack McDowell vs. I can't remember the name but it was against Toronto. Jack got a black eye.

sox1970
09-08-2007, 12:16 PM
I was there too ! It was insane. I think there was a total of like 90 games suspended for both teams. It was the best fight I seen and I was at the Jack McDowell vs. I can't remember the name but it was against Toronto. Jack got a black eye.

Mark Whiten

aryzner
09-08-2007, 12:24 PM
Holy crap I remember that a little bit. I almost forgot it happened.

God how many of those guys are actually still on the Sox? I saw Konerko in there and that could be it.

stl_sox_fan
09-08-2007, 12:31 PM
In part 2 I love the pitcher getting in the low stance at the start. Who was that? Cool to see all the former Sox players.

JermaineDye05
09-08-2007, 12:32 PM
Hey, Maggs actually looks like a professional baseball player there.

Yeah I think everyone agrees Maggs really needs to cut his hair.

Dan Mega
09-08-2007, 01:01 PM

God how many of those guys are actually still on the Sox? I saw Konerko in there and that could be it.

Coulda swore I saw Garland in there too. I could be mistaken.

jdm2662
09-08-2007, 01:05 PM
Coulda swore I saw Garland in there too. I could be mistaken.

Was he up with the team by then? MB is another that comes to mind, but I don't think he came up until June. Todd Jones appears to be the only Tiger still with the club (but I do know he played for other teams before returning).

How in the hell did Bobby Higginson ever get his contract? That guy sucked, and an even worse fighter. :redneck

twentywontowin
09-08-2007, 01:05 PM
The list of Tigers and Sox suspensions and fines for the brawl:

Palmer 8 games $3,000 Higginson 5 games $2,000 Fick 5 games $2,000 Brocail 4 games $1,000 Polonia 3 games $1,000 Encarnacion 3 games $1,000 Garcia 3 games $1,000 Garner 8 games $1,500 Samuel 15 gms n.a. Mansolino n.a. Weaver $750 Jones $750 Anderson $750 Poole $500 Patterson $500 Ordonez 5 games $1,000 Parque 3 games $1,000 Foulke 3 games $1,000 Howry 3 games $1,000 Sturtze 3 games $1,000 Lee 3 games $1,000 Manuel 8 games $1,500 Simas $750 Nossek n.a

sox1970
09-08-2007, 01:09 PM
Was he up with the team by then? MB is another that comes to mind, but I don't think he came up until June. Todd Jones appears to be the only Tiger still with the club (but I do know he played for other teams before returning).

How in the hell did Bobby Higginson ever get his contract? That guy sucked, and an even worse fighter. :redneck

Garland and Buehrle both came up in July of that year. Konerko is the only current Sox player that was there for that brawl. Singleton was on that team as well.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-08-2007, 01:41 PM
Lot of Roids out there.

Meh... I'm guessing the greenies had more to do with the short tempers than the roids.

Anyone who was asking how Houston could fire Phil Garner as their manager ought to view these three videos and next explain how Phil Garner ever got ANOTHER managerial job after Detroit fired him.

Unbelievable...

HawkDJ
09-08-2007, 01:41 PM
In part 2 I love the pitcher getting in the low stance at the start. Who was that? Cool to see all the former Sox players.

That would be the one and only, Jim Parque. :butter

knocko94
09-08-2007, 01:46 PM
I watched that whole game, it was insanity.

I still hate that bastard Dean Palmer. Punk.

HawkDJ
09-08-2007, 01:50 PM

Using the brilliance that is baseball-reference.com

The starting lineup for the game:

Durham, 2B
Valentin, SS
Thomas, DH
Ordonez, RF
Konerko 1B
Singleton CF
Lee LF
Norton 3B
Mark Johnson C

also played: Mckay Christensen, Jeff Abbott

Pitched in the game: Jim Parque, Sean Lowe, Tanyon Sturtze, Bob Howry, Scott Eyre

No other current Sox was on the roster other than Konerko, though Garland, Buehrle and Crede did eventually get called up. We also traded for Harold Baines.

soxgirl617
09-08-2007, 03:08 PM
Fun to see this after all these years. I remember this game clearly, but had wondered if the fights had become bigger in my memory than they really were. Nope...if anything, I had forgotten how crazed it really was! Reminds me of why I hate Garner, Fick, and Higginson.

jdm2662
09-08-2007, 03:49 PM
Meh... I'm guessing the greenies had more to do with the short tempers than the roids.

Anyone who was asking how Houston could fire Phil Garner as their manager ought to view these three videos and next explain how Phil Garner ever got ANOTHER managerial job after Detroit fired him.

Unbelievable...

Wasn't there another incident involving Garner when he managed the Brewers?

Oblong
09-08-2007, 04:00 PM
I was glad to see Higginson blindside Foulke because it only confirms what I've been saying about him for years.

Weaver also had a big fight with Mike Sweeney. We never found out what really happened. They were mouthing off to each other and Sweeney just suddenly charged at Weaver. He's the bible leader and a legendary nice guy. Not a coincidence that Weaver was involved in two big brawls.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-08-2007, 04:13 PM
Wasn't there another incident involving Garner when he managed the Brewers?

Yes, but that incident also involved Sox manager Terry "Boomer" Bevington, too. They actually came to blows at Sox Park. Two complete idiots...

Last I heard Bevo was pushed to the far-end of pro-ball existence managing some goofy independent league ballclub. I still can't figure out why Scrap Heap wasn't similarly shown the door by MLB years ago.

:o:

WhiteSox5187
09-08-2007, 04:21 PM
I was in South Carolina when that fight happened and I remember seeing it on Sportscenter and because they didn't show the whole thing, you forget how epic that thing was. Guys were leaving that fight all bloodied. The Tigers were lucky AJ wasn't on our team then, he would have killed Palmer and hoisted his severed head for the crowd to see...:?:

FarWestChicago
09-08-2007, 04:26 PM
I was glad to see Higginson blindside Foulke because it only confirms what I've been saying about him for years.I've never been fond of Higgy.

TornLabrum
09-08-2007, 06:27 PM
I have the good fortune of having attended two of the "best" brawls in Sox history, the June 1956 brawl that started with a brushback pitch of Larry Doby by Art Ditmar of the Yankees and this one. The one thing that made the '56 brawl better was Enos Slaughter getting the shirt ripped off his back.

santo=dorf
09-08-2007, 09:21 PM
As soon as I saw this thread I thought "lemme guess. He's going to ask if anyone has the game on DVD and it'll be roadhoused." To my surprise, the links to the videos of the fight were made in the first post. Thank you. :cool:

Who's that little scrawny guy wearing Carlos Lee's jersey? oh.:o:

Brian26
09-08-2007, 09:59 PM
This completely reminds me why that 2000 team was so fun to watch - they were young and stuck up for each other.

I'm watching these videos and getting hot at these former Tiger players and coaches. Dean Palmer, Fick, Juan Samuel, Higginson, Encarnacion, Larry Parrish & Shane Halter acted like complete idiots. Also Todd Jones. Dean Palmer was kicked out of the game in the first fight (clip one), and he ran out of the clubhouse to get involved again.

Foulke was sticking up for Simas in that second clip, and about nine Tigers jumped him.

FarWestChicago
09-08-2007, 11:44 PM
Foulke was sticking up for Simas in that second clip, and about nine Tigers jumped him.I'm far from the biggest Foulke fan in the world. He blew too many important games, no matter what his stats looked like. But, he had guts. You can't take that away from him. :cool:

ChiSoxGirl
09-08-2007, 11:51 PM
This fight was epic and really brought the team together afterwards. This is the first time I've seen it and am now in the middle of re-watching all three clips! :cool: And in the third video, what the hell happened to Carlos Lee's shoes?! :?:

As someone else said, Konerko is the only one left on the Sox from that brawl. Is Todd Jones the only one left in a Tigers uniform for them?

WhiteSox5187
09-09-2007, 12:05 AM
This fight was epic and really brought the team together afterwards. This is the first time I've seen it and am now in the middle of re-watching all three clips! :cool: And in the third video, what the hell happened to Carlos Lee's shoes?! :?:

As someone else said, Konerko is the only one left on the Sox from that brawl. Is Todd Jones the only one left in a Tigers uniform for them?
Yes but he hasn't been there since 2000, I believe this is his second stint with the Tigers.

ChiSoxGirl
09-09-2007, 12:07 AM
Yes but he hasn't been there since 2000, I believe this is his second stint with the Tigers.

I didn't know that. Thanks for clarifying. :thumbsup:

PKalltheway
09-09-2007, 01:34 AM
Insane. I remember watching the highlights on Sportscenter that day. You don't see ones like that every day...

IlliniSox4Life
09-09-2007, 03:17 AM
I never saw the whole fight, so this was great to see. I remember a friend of mine was at that game and couldn't stop talking about how awesome it was.

Base Brawls are awesome. 3 in a game is unbelievable.

tebman
09-09-2007, 10:40 AM
I saw that game on TV that day and got enraged like a good Sox fan should (like I could do anything about it :redneck). What occurred to me though is how genuinely pathetic the whole thing was because I knew the league would give little more than wristslaps to the perpetrators. I mean, that was a series of ambushes that would be criminal if it happened off the ballfield.

I remember the comtemptible Fick played for the Braves a couple of years later and threw up his arm as he was running to first on a groundout to block the firstbaseman's catch of the throw. A punk through and through. To his everlasting credit, Bobby Cox dropped him right after that and the Braves released him. Cox said something about that not being the way his teams play ball. That's a manager.

soxinem1
09-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Hawk called a great fight that day! I remember watching this in total disbelief when this happened. What a fight!!!!

I also remember Bob Howry getting tossed later in the game for throwing at someone.

Maybe the 2007 White Sox should have watched this video series a few times back in June.....

kevingrt
09-09-2007, 10:51 AM
What a nice guy Nardi was taking Jimmy Parque under his wing.

Foulke You
09-10-2007, 12:09 PM
What a nice guy Nardi was taking Jimmy Parque under his wing.
:nardi

"Atta boy Jim, now put your labrum into it more on the next pitch!"

HerzogVon
09-10-2007, 12:39 PM
Crap with the Tigers goes back at least to Sparky Anderson. He was always having his pitchers throw at Carlton Fisk.

As for Fick, he was a goon who would have been better suited to the NHL, especially the Red Wings; at home with the octopi. [ SMOOSH!!! ] Still, I'd rather the Tigers than those damn, sanctimonious Twinks!

skottyj242
09-10-2007, 02:52 PM
I was at that game, and I went the next day (Easter Sunday) just to see if round three would happen.

skottyj242
09-10-2007, 02:54 PM

I think he's played for six teams since then. I wanna say Minnesota, Colorado, Cincy, Boston, Florida and someone else, then back to the Tigers.

skottyj242
09-10-2007, 02:59 PM
Why were Hawk an DJ calling the game on FOX?

sox1970
09-10-2007, 03:00 PM
Why were Hawk an DJ calling the game on FOX?

Fox Sports Net.

Walker29
09-10-2007, 03:03 PM
My favorite is Hawk reminding fans to "make plans to join us tomorrow for the finale of this 3 game set" as the brawl is continuing. Even the biggest basebrawl in history can't stop the "Shillmeister" himself. I remember taking a nap before going to work that night and waking up and wondering what the heck was going on. It seems like such a long time ago.

skottyj242
09-10-2007, 03:19 PM
Fox Sports Net.

Boy do I feel like an idiot. :D:

Buddy_Bradford
09-11-2007, 11:42 AM
Mod Edit: Selling DVDs of copyrighted games, and you linking to it? Enjoy your three day vacation.

skottyj242
09-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Quoting a post linking to someone selling copyrighted material? Enjoy your day off. (Cheer up. It's two less than the offender got.)

:dtroll:

PKalltheway
09-12-2007, 12:58 AM
I remember the comtemptible Fick played for the Braves a couple of years later and threw up his arm as he was running to first on a groundout to block the firstbaseman's catch of the throw. A punk through and through. To his everlasting credit, Bobby Cox dropped him right after that and the Braves released him. Cox said something about that not being the way his teams play ball. That's a manager.
Haha, I remember that too. It was actually during the Braves/Cubs NLDS in 2003 at Wrigley.

Oblong
09-12-2007, 09:58 AM
Fick isn't/wasn't too bright. In the minors he got busted for having pot delivered to his apartment.... via FEDEX!!! Then he said it wasn't his. Nevermind that bong on the table. Yes. Tha really happened. The bong was right there. But it wasn't his. If you've heard him talk think of Brad Pitt in True Romance.