PDA

View Full Version : New Manchester Member(uk)

steveo_88(UK)
09-08-2007, 07:18 AM
Hi everybody,
Just wanted to say hi and add another Sox fan to the increasing group across the globe. As you probably know the Evil Empire are the most popular team across the globe aswell as the Red Sox nation. However when ive been out and about in my home town of Manchester im not the only Sox fan. I started watching baseball in 2005 and supported the Sox because they were always on telly over here. Plus they had some brilliant players and real characters in the side. If anyone is interested my local baseball team is the Manchester As who have trained with before and hopefully will be able to play with next season.

http://www.manchesterbaseballclub.co.uk/

35th&Shields
09-08-2007, 08:57 AM
Good to have you. Coincidentally the EPL team that I root for is Man City because they are the "second team in the second city" (after Man U and London) which is how the White Sox are often described in relation to the Cubs here in Chicago and New York City nationwide.

FarWestChicago
09-08-2007, 11:00 AM
Welcome, steveo! :thumbsup:

chisoxmike
09-08-2007, 11:35 AM
:supernana:

soxgirl617
09-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Welcome, steveo. Glad to have a new UK member! I visit London fairly often, and sometimes wear White Sox gear out and about. I rarely see anyone in London with White Sox stuff on, but I always get nice comments when I'm wearing it. It's nice to hear that you have some other Sox fans in Manchester!

steveo_88(UK)
09-08-2007, 03:11 PM
Good to have you. Coincidentally the EPL team that I root for is Man City because they are the "second team in the second city" (after Man U and London) which is how the White Sox are often described in relation to the Cubs here in Chicago and New York City nationwide.

Ive got a season ticket at Man City and was just loving the derby win at home! ;o) One of the reasons i decided to follow the Sox is that they have alot in common with City. They're the working class team, whereas the Cubs ive been told are the middle class predominantly white community. Plus like City the Sox are the only real baseball team in Chicago! Seriously though there are no M*n U*d fans in Manchester they all live in London!

35th&Shields
09-08-2007, 03:34 PM
Ive got a season ticket at Man City and was just loving the derby win at home! ;o) One of the reasons i decided to follow the Sox is that they have alot in common with City. They're the working class team, whereas the Cubs ive been told are the middle class predominantly white community. Plus like City the Sox are the only real baseball team in Chicago! Seriously though there are no M*n U*d fans in Manchester they all live in London!

Seriously, the White Sox and Manchester City should form a "strategic alliance" like Manchester United and the Yankees did. (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FCN/is_2_24/ai_75561824)

The reasons that SteveO described are why I chose to follow Man City. The similarities between the White Sox and Manchester City are tremendous.

aryzner
09-08-2007, 03:37 PM
I can't be a true fan of any single EPL team but I admit I am partial to Fulham due to the fact that there are a decent amount of Americans playing for them. (Clint Dempsey, Carlos Bocanegra, Kasey Keller, Brian McBride who is sadly injured right now)

I'm happy any time an American does something good because I would love for our national team to be a really great, intimidating team someday.

steveo_88(UK)
09-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Seriously, the White Sox and Manchester City should form a "strategic alliance" like Manchester United and the Yankees did. (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FCN/is_2_24/ai_75561824)

The reasons that SteveO described are why I chose to follow Man City. The similarities between the White Sox and Manchester City are tremendous.

I know about the Yankees deal over here and it sickens me. Its also made worse by the fact that idiots over here by Yankees caps because the logo is a status simble to scallies(stupid little kids who wear trackies and beat up old grannies whilst filming it on their mobile). It drives me mad seeing City fans wearing Yankees caps when they dont even know what the logo stands for!
:angry::angry::angry::angry:
Even though they have good players like Jeter and A Rod, i hate the Evil Empire almost as much as i hate the rags!

steveo_88(UK)
09-08-2007, 03:45 PM
I can't be a true fan of any single EPL team but I admit I am partial to Fulham due to the fact that there are a decent amount of Americans playing for them. (Clint Dempsey, Carlos Bocanegra, Kasey Keller, Brian McBride who is sadly injured right now)

I'm happy any time an American does something good because I would love for our national team to be a really great, intimidating team someday.

Im sorry for you! Yes Fulham have some good US players but there fan base is abismal! They play in the top division and struggle to get 15k at home. When there on the road is a joke. Like when there at City they cant even manage 2000 fans, HA. That might seem alot to you but in England you can drive from one end of the country in a day and all teams follow clubs home and away. City are infamous for their loyal support wherever they go. Even when they were in the third tier of football in 1999(like double A or something if baseball had a similiar system) they got full houses and 30k people for home games at Maine Road whilst other teams averaged 6k. Best fans in the land and all the world! Fulham though if they ever lose the backing of Al Fayed(spelling) would plumet down the divisions through lack of gate income. His money is what got them to the Premiership and is what has kept them there.

WhiteSox5187
09-08-2007, 04:26 PM
Welcome aboard! It's been a rough year for us here, but don't worry, we'll get 'em next year.

I know nothing about European Soccer, so I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-08-2007, 08:58 PM
Very happy to have you here. I also wear my Sox stuff when in England and have been asked where I got it, so there must be some demand.

Anyone who joins on when our team is having such a tough year shows their sports intelligence! Welcome.

Dan Mega
09-11-2007, 08:30 AM
This guy rules! Welcome! :gulp:

chaerulez
09-11-2007, 11:27 AM
I'm pretty surprised that baseball hasn't caught on in England. I find the pace of baseball similar to soccer. The big difference is though soccer is free flowing, and never stops while baseball has frequent stoppage.

And even though I'm a Liverpool fan I think it would be great if a non Big Four team won the EPL. I thought Spurs would have the best chance, but now I think might be City. Sven and the new ownership will spend the money to get quality players and I think the financial gap will close. Micah Richards is one of my favorite players. I just hope United or Chelsea don't try to sign him.

Nellie_Fox
09-11-2007, 01:29 PM
Micah Richards is one of my favorite players.Shouldn't that be "favourite?" :wink:

steveo_88(UK)
09-11-2007, 06:55 PM
I'm pretty surprised that baseball hasn't caught on in England. I find the pace of baseball similar to soccer. The big difference is though soccer is free flowing, and never stops while baseball has frequent stoppage.

Baseball is here and doing well in the UK, as i type this GB are 2-0 in the European Championships. Beating Spain the hosts, thanks to the input of some guys who just happen to play in the minor leagues!

The main problem with baseball over here is that its not the main or traditional sport. Football(soccer) is the most popular but two other very popular traditional sports are Cricket and Rugby(rugby having two codes Union/League). This means from a country thats not that big you already have to compete with these who have the majority of funding and media coverage. The shinnig light though is Channel 5! They have done a deal with ESPN to show baseball on Sundays and Wednesdays. NFL on Monday! Basketball, NASCAR, US Boxing and Hockey(remember its live aswell so over here its starts at one in the mornin'). British American Football and Baseball especially get the coverage they need added by US journalists like Mike Carlson and Josh Chestwynd(spelling) and formely David Lengel. Also US people who've moved or are studying in the UK actively participate and coach US sports. US QBs in American Football are at a premium! My step brother used to play for Hull Sharks and GB, he said the US QBs were always very knowledgeable and an improvement however he thinks the only reason there playing over here is they're not good enough at home!

US Sports in the UK will continue to snowball with the young kids now getting involved and having their own mini world series, but in the long run there are just too many established traditional sports ahead of them.

PS, SORRY FOR SUCH A LONG POST! :)

Hendu
09-11-2007, 07:47 PM

Not only that but DaMarcus Beasley, one of the Fire's better players from back in the day, played for Citeh last season. Just another connection between Chicago and Man City.

steveo_88(UK)
09-12-2007, 05:29 PM
Not only that but DaMarcus Beasley, one of the Fire's better players from back in the day, played for Citeh last season. Just another connection between Chicago and Man City.

Beasley was good IMO last year and alot of people called him light weight because of his size but he did a decent job. Martin Petrov i think will be a better replacement but it would have been nice to keep Beasley around as a more than adequate back-up. However Beasley appears to be having a stormer up in Glasgow for my Scottish side Rangers, "UP THE 'GERS".

kiddeft
09-12-2007, 06:52 PM
I try to follow EPL from time to time and have gotten an attachment to Newcastle, not sure why.

As for baseball being on the same pace as soccer, I really don't think so. A co-worker was telling me that he had some family visit him from Europe (Poland I think) and he took them to a local ball game. They had never experienced it before. In the middle of the third inning they asked him if the game would start soon. :o:

FarWestChicago
09-12-2007, 07:13 PM
Enough of the footy stuff already. This is not the Lot.

peeonwrigley
09-13-2007, 12:05 AM
Hi everybody,
Just wanted to say hi and add another Sox fan to the increasing group across the globe. As you probably know the Evil Empire are the most popular team across the globe aswell as the Red Sox nation. However when ive been out and about in my home town of Manchester im not the only Sox fan. I started watching baseball in 2005 and supported the Sox because they were always on telly over here. Plus they had some brilliant players and real characters in the side. If anyone is interested my local baseball team is the Manchester As who have trained with before and hopefully will be able to play with next season.

http://www.manchesterbaseballclub.co.uk/

Welcome! I've been a City fan for years myself - but have only been able to watch games the last three seasons as I finally got Fox Soccer Channel.

How often are you actually able to catch the White Sox on TV over there? Are the games split amongst teams fairly equally, or is it mostly Yankees and Red Sox games shown? I've always considered spending a couple years abroad... availability of my teams' games was always a concern.

steveo_88(UK)
09-15-2007, 04:12 PM
Welcome! I've been a City fan for years myself - but have only been able to watch games the last three seasons as I finally got Fox Soccer Channel.

How often are you actually able to catch the White Sox on TV over there? Are the games split amongst teams fairly equally, or is it mostly Yankees and Red Sox games shown? I've always considered spending a couple years abroad... availability of my teams' games was always a concern.

Channel 5 shows baseball on Sundays and Wednesdays. They show live games and get the feeds off of ESPN. I dont think the Sox have been on at all this year! Its a lottery to what we get, whatever ESPN decides to air, even more so because were nearing the play-offs.

kevin57
09-15-2007, 06:57 PM
Channel 5 shows baseball on Sundays and Wednesdays. They show live games and get the feeds off of ESPN. I dont think the Sox have been on at all this year! Its a lottery to what we get, whatever ESPN decides to air, even more so because were nearing the play-offs.

ESPN is yet another cultural wasteland in what they portray of the US sports scene to the world. You have likely noticed, steveo, that ESPN has a "tendency" to talk a lot about the Yanks and the Red Sox. For them, the world ceases to exist west of the Hudson.