PDA

View Full Version : A wonderful and sad story about the true wonder of baseball

mjmcend
09-07-2007, 04:55 PM
Very well written too. Much better than HGH, Vick, cheating refs, and all rest.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/features/264668.html

mcg
09-07-2007, 05:39 PM
Aww crap, now I'm crying at work.

Seriously, that was an amazing story. Definitely the best sports story I've read in a long time. Thanks for posting the link.

TomBradley72
09-07-2007, 11:13 PM
Great story. Thank you.

WhiteSox5187
09-08-2007, 12:26 AM
I have a new favorite baseball player. What a great story. What a great writer.

itsnotrequired
09-08-2007, 01:54 AM
My son just turned two years old and is already fascinated by the game. We can't drive by the stadium without him saying "Boom! Boom! Boom!" as he imitates the fireworks. Hell, he thinks the American flag is somehow a symbol of the White Sox as he points and yells "White Sox! White Sox! White Sox!" whenever he sees one. He hasn't heard "Thunderstruck" outside of the ballpark yet if we say "thunder" he responds with "na-na-na-nah-na", no matter what the situation. It truly is a powerful game and its impact on young children cannot be denied.

As a parent, I couldn't imagine having to go through what this mother has to deal with. I do know that seeing a smile on our son's face is truly a joy and if these minor leaguers, despite their small role in the big scheme of the game, can bring a smile to a young boy for even a short while, then they truly are ambassadors of the sport and should be treated as such. Kudos to them and anyone else who inspires young people through the game of baseball.