PDA

View Full Version : You could live next door to this

Fenway
09-06-2007, 10:57 AM
'Honey, I've got a crazy idea'

Obsessive fan builds Wrigley replica; neighbors mull rooftop bleachers

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/chi-070905miniwrigley-story,1,6789627.story?coll=chi_tab01_layout&ctrack=3&cset=true

DeadMoney
09-06-2007, 11:07 AM
That's actually really frickin' cool.

Love or hate Wrigley field (and the Cubs), how would you like to be a 7 or 8 year old kid playing on that field?

JohnTucker0814
09-06-2007, 11:43 AM
I've actually thought of doing something very similar. However, what I would like to do is take a signature item from some of the best stadiums and make them into 1 wiffle ball field. For example make a field with the green moster in left, large fould ground, "exploding" scoreboard, etc. How awesome would that be? Anyone intersted in fronting the funds for this? haha

jenn2080
09-06-2007, 12:15 PM
That is actually awesome.

eriqjaffe
09-06-2007, 12:16 PM
I've actually thought of doing something very similar. However, what I would like to do is take a signature item from some of the best stadiums and make them into 1 wiffle ball field. For example make a field with the green moster in left, large fould ground, "exploding" scoreboard, etc. How awesome would that be? Anyone intersted in fronting the funds for this? hahaDon't forget the in-play flagpole and hill in center field.

esbrechtel
09-06-2007, 12:18 PM

Love or hate Wrigley field (and the Cubs), how would you like to be a 7 or 8 year old kid playing on that field?

I agree 100% It does look amazing....that would be a sweet place to play I am surprised they did not make it a little bigger to allow kids between the ages of 7 and 12 play on it...

Johnny Mostil
09-06-2007, 12:18 PM
Has this been widely done elsewhere? Years ago, I remember visiting a (limited) replica of Crosley Field (where I saw my first MLB game) in Blue Ash, Ohio . . .

Fenway
09-06-2007, 12:20 PM
official website

http://www.littlecubsfield.com/

A group in Boston plans to do the same thing for Fenway

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/minors/articles/2007/08/26/for_younger_faithful_a_little_fenway_on_deck/

http://cache.boston.com/resize/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2007/08/23/1187908469_6993/410w.jpg

SoxFan78
09-06-2007, 12:42 PM
Is it going to have the stench of urine just like its big brother??

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-06-2007, 12:56 PM
I hate the Cubs. I wish I was young enough again to play there.

That is very cool - and a good distance away from the Cub masses so that is can remain a pure ballpark.

Hitmen77
09-06-2007, 01:11 PM
Is it going to have the stench of urine just like its big brother??

If they want it to feel authentic, then yes. Also, I think visitors will be encouraged to pee on the lawns of the residences surrounding this place in order to give it that true "authentic" feel.

Perhaps they'll also ask fans to bring their own trash with them so that they can throw it on the replica field.

palehozenychicty
09-06-2007, 01:14 PM
If they want it to feel authentic, then yes. Also, I think visitors will be encouraged to pee on the lawns of the residences surrounding this place in order to give it that true "authentic" feel.

Perhaps they'll also ask fans to bring their own trash with them so that they can throw it on the replica field.

:rolling:

So true!

Fenway
09-06-2007, 01:21 PM
irony is that it will open in October :tongue:

Hokiesox
09-06-2007, 01:30 PM
Will the bathrooms have troughs?

eriqjaffe
09-06-2007, 02:28 PM
Simulated falling chunks of concrete.

TParkin550
09-06-2007, 03:27 PM
I live in Freeport and I am still befudled on why they wouldn't build it to little league specifications? I know that the budget would have at least doubled, but too many people are thinking short sided again.

The park district is constucting 3-4 other new fields adjacent to "Little Cubs Field" so it would make sense to me the amount of tourism as well as tournaments that could be played in Freeport would be a benifit to the entire NW Illinois area.

My son is in t-ball now and I can guarantee that if he plays on this diamond, he will be in some sort of White Sox Apperal.

Does anyone want to contribute to Little Comisky Park to be built on the south side of town?:D:

Tom

Foulke You
09-06-2007, 04:16 PM
The budget ballooned from an original estimate of $350,000 to $450,000. But most of those costs were covered by donated labor and supplies. Small cash contributions made up the difference, in part through the sale of $50 brick pavers to be placed in front of the stadium. One brick, to the chagrin of many, reads: "Go Sox."

:thumbsup: I'd like to buy the guy who bought that brick a beer.

WhiteSox5187
09-06-2007, 05:20 PM
I live in Freeport and I am still befudled on why they wouldn't build it to little league specifications? I know that the budget would have at least doubled, but too many people are thinking short sided again.

The park district is constucting 3-4 other new fields adjacent to "Little Cubs Field" so it would make sense to me the amount of tourism as well as tournaments that could be played in Freeport would be a benifit to the entire NW Illinois area.

My son is in t-ball now and I can guarantee that if he plays on this diamond, he will be in some sort of White Sox Apperal.

Does anyone want to contribute to Little Comisky Park to be built on the south side of town?:D:

Tom
When I was little I wanted to build a little league replica of Old Comiskey at Cosme Park (which is where I played my little league games)...when I become rich and famous, perhaps I will see this dream through...or maybe even buy the White Sox and rebuild Old Comiskey.:cool:

tebman
09-06-2007, 09:46 PM
When I was little I wanted to build a little league replica of Old Comiskey at Cosme Park (which is where I played my little league games)...when I become rich and famous, perhaps I will see this dream through...or maybe even buy the White Sox and rebuild Old Comiskey.:cool:
I had a similar idea when I was a kid but on a smaller scale. The Little League park I played in (early 1960s) had a permanent wood and steel-mesh fence around the outfield and a chalkboard scoreboard in center. As I recall, the scoreboard was donated by Pepsi, with Pepsi bottlecap logos on either side.

I drew up a plan (on a lined paper tablet) to modify the scoreboard to behave like the Comiskey Park board. I had it all figured out -- bottle rockets were legal then, and they could serve as fireworks on the rare occasion there was a home run, and large Christmas light bulbs could be rigged in an orderly way around the perimeter of the board and around the Pepsi logos to flash when the board erupted. A PA system was in the plan too, for goofy sound effects just like the Sox had.

But I was nine years old with no engineering experience. Looking back on it though, it was a workable and low-budget scheme. All the league lacked was imagination and an appreciation for my genius. :tongue:

robertks61
09-06-2007, 10:48 PM
Tom

Count me in!!!!

Huisj
09-06-2007, 10:51 PM
How are parents going to like their 7-year-olds playing outfield with a big brick wall behind them?

thomas35forever
09-06-2007, 11:54 PM
Will Lil' Comiskey be located in a lil' ghetto?

WhiteSox5187
09-07-2007, 01:46 AM
I had a similar idea when I was a kid but on a smaller scale. The Little League park I played in (early 1960s) had a permanent wood and steel-mesh fence around the outfield and a chalkboard scoreboard in center. As I recall, the scoreboard was donated by Pepsi, with Pepsi bottlecap logos on either side.

I drew up a plan (on a lined paper tablet) to modify the scoreboard to behave like the Comiskey Park board. I had it all figured out -- bottle rockets were legal then, and they could serve as fireworks on the rare occasion there was a home run, and large Christmas light bulbs could be rigged in an orderly way around the perimeter of the board and around the Pepsi logos to flash when the board erupted. A PA system was in the plan too, for goofy sound effects just like the Sox had.

But I was nine years old with no engineering experience. Looking back on it though, it was a workable and low-budget scheme. All the league lacked was imagination and an appreciation for my genius. :tongue:
Yea...yea I was three when they tore down Old Comiskey so my plan consisted of thousands of building blocks with a little chalkboard that i drawn the scoreboard on to serve as our scoreboard...your plan was a little more, well, practical.

GoSox2K3
09-07-2007, 09:42 AM
Imagine the impact this could have on Freeport. The neighborhood around the replica Urinal may eventually get flooded with a bunch of young transplants who move to the area, are totally full of themselves, and start acting like they are cooler and know more about Freeport than the people who have lived in the neighborhood throughout Freeport all their lives.

Iwritecode
09-07-2007, 11:45 AM
How are parents going to like their 7-year-olds playing outfield with a big brick wall behind them?

I can't be much different that playing with a big chainlink fence behind them. Little league outfielders don't go crashing into walls too often.

Iwritecode
09-07-2007, 11:47 AM
That is very cool - and a good distance away from the Cub masses so that is can remain a pure ballpark.

There are plenty of Cub masses in the Rockford area. Freeport as well.

soxinem1
09-07-2007, 01:37 PM

Be sure to contact me when you do that, I'll chip in!!!!:smile::smile::smile::smile:

hsnterprize
09-08-2007, 07:11 PM
Hey...I'll give this guy all the credit in the world for taking the time and money to build something like that. He must be a serious Cub fan if he's willing to go through all that pain-staking detail to replicate Wrigley. I'm sure he'll have some ivy growing on the wall pretty soon if he doesn't have that growing already.

Funny thing is I've been thinking (dreaming) about building a U.S. Cellular Field replica in my backyard. However, the first thing I'd have to do is get a house with a backyard big enough to hold it. I've been looking at a lot of websites lately in regards to people building wiffleball fields in their yards that look like Fenway Park and Great American Ballpark. I've also been looking at sites that sell everything from outfield wall screening, nets, batting cages, field markers, and other things in association with baseball field maintenance. If I ever do get the chance to build my field, it would not be as big as the real thing, but big enough that older kids could play in it. I'd dig up the infield, build a "scoreboard" in center, and try to make the place look just like the Cell as best as I could. Remember...they guy in the piece said he got his idea 5 years prior to the start of construction. Who knows...maybe 5 years from now, I'll be inviting you to a Cell-replica at my place.

Frontman
09-08-2007, 07:25 PM

I was thinking how neat it would be for a friendly game of Sox and Cubs fans to play there. I'd sign up to play.

Brian26
09-08-2007, 11:32 PM
Imagine the impact this could have on Freeport. The neighborhood around the replica Urinal may eventually get flooded with a bunch of young transplants who move to the area, are totally full of themselves, and start acting like they are cooler and know more about Freeport than the people who have lived in the neighborhood throughout Freeport all their lives.

Fantastic.
:thumbsup:

bigfoot
09-09-2007, 12:04 PM

Don't forget that Freeport is a good deal closer to the Cubs fan base....
in IOWA! :bandance:

You may a few more cellphone towers.