PDA

View Full Version : Scary Numbers


duke of dorwood
04-09-2002, 11:18 AM
Four of the relievers have an ERA in double digits: Keith Foulke (13.50), Antonio Osuna (14.73), Lorenzo Barcelo (18.00) and Damaso Marte (40.50). Opposing hitters are batting .600 off Foulke, who was eighth among AL relievers last year in limiting opposing batters to a .199 average.

Last week in Seattle, some members of the Mariners' bullpen told the Seattle media that Sox relievers were coming into games without throwing many warm-up pitches in the bullpen. On Sunday, Osuna came into the game for Marte in the seventh inning without warming up long, and was rocked for five runs to put a close game out of reach.

Manuel said Osuna "felt he had enough time" in the pen but added that he probably will have his relievers coming off of arm surgery (Osuna and Barcelo) start warming up earlier in the future.

:jerry

See, I can adjust

baggio202
04-09-2002, 11:27 AM
wow..marte's era is 0.10 higher than onan masaoka's was in spring training...sure do miss onan :o:

cheeses_h_rice
04-09-2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood


Last week in Seattle, some members of the Mariners' bullpen told the Seattle media that Sox relievers were coming into games without throwing many warm-up pitches in the bullpen. On Sunday, Osuna came into the game for Marte in the seventh inning without warming up long, and was rocked for five runs to put a close game out of reach.

:jerry

I learned at the feet of the great Terry Bevington!

voodoochile
04-09-2002, 12:13 PM
These numbers are only scary if they continue. How many innings have these guys pitched - 3? Those aren't statistics, they are statistical aberrations... Even if they all have lousy crappy years, they will all more than halve those numbers. If they are anywhere close to their career numbers - then this is just one of the rough spots all pitchers encounter from time to time...

Pete_SSAC
04-09-2002, 03:24 PM
:burly
"And I have a .75 ERA and a WHIP of 1.00 CY YOUNG TIME BABY!"

:sandy
"Don't forget my .400 Avg and .667 SLG. MVP! MVP!"

Get my point here?

- Pete

Kilroy
04-09-2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC
Get my point here?

Doesn't matter. Sometimes I think this place should be called White Sox Interactive Bitching...

Nellie_Fox
04-09-2002, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC

"And I have a .75 ERA and a WHIP of 1.00 CY YOUNG TIME BABY!"

Jeez, does baseball never run out of new stats? What the heck is a WHIP? I suspect from the name that its some combination of walks, hits and innings pitched. Is it walks plus hits divided by innings pitched?

voodoochile
04-09-2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox

Jeez, does baseball never run out of new stats? What the heck is a WHIP? I suspect from the name that its some combination of walks, hits and innings pitched. Is it walks plus hits divided by innings pitched?

Yep, you guessed it.