PDA

View Full Version : Former pitcher Bill Henry dead-Not quite yet.

TommyJohn
09-06-2007, 08:55 AM
A few days ago an obituary appeared in the Sun-Times for Bill Henry, a
15 year major league pitcher who had played in the 1961 World Series
with the Reds and had put in a couple of years with the Cubs.

Stop the presses! It turns out that the Bill Henry who died wasn't the
ML pitcher, just a guy with the same name who lied all his life about
having been in the big leagues.

I fell victim to a similar hoax when I was in college. A theater professor
of mine told me his father had played major league ball with the White Sox
and A's. I looked him up in the Baseball Encyclopedia and found the guy,
who didn't have his father's name. His father had told him that he played
under that name, not his own. I thought nothing of the fact that it didn't
have any correct info, I just thought they made a mistake. I was put in
touch with a guy from SABR who did the legwork for me and found out
that my prof had been hoodwinked by his pops. I tried to write a play
about it for a playwrighting class, but never finished it.

Anyhoo, here's the link from nyyfans where I saw the story. Pretty
interesting.

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=106164

Oblong
09-06-2007, 09:10 AM
A similar thing happened to Frank Lary, but it didn't involve death. This was in the early 90's. There was a guy running around Florida for years claiming to be Lary. He ended up in a homeless shelter/mental ward. The story broke and WJR devoted a whole segment one evening to the tragedy of former ball players trying to scrape by. Then Ernie Harwell called in saying Frank was doing very well and not in any kind of trouble. He talks to him several times a year. He didn't even live in Florida.

We also had something in the Detroit area earlier this year where a guy was going around claiming to be Brandon Inge's dad. Someone called into a morning radio show about it then they were flooded with calls. He was scamming freebies and getting donations in return for promised memorabilia.

SBSoxFan
09-06-2007, 10:34 AM
I saw that in my newspaper this morning. Also, a certain morning talk show host used to pose as a football player while at Notre Dame.

Soxfanspcu11
09-07-2007, 04:57 AM
That's a wild story! I have heard quite a few stories like this in the past.

Slightly off topic (because it's not baseball related) but I remember a few years ago, some guy was going around and saying that he was Mark Trembolli(sp?), the guitar player for Creed. It wasn't like he was just saying this to try and pick up girls from bars or anything (though he probably did that as well) but he was actually going around and doing "in-stores" at places like Guitar Center. This "alleged" guitarist of Creed had fans lined up out the door waiting for hours to get his autograph and have pictures taken.

I don't know all the details of the story, but I guess that he looked so much like the guitarist of Creed, that he was able to keep this act going on for a couple of months or so! I don't know how it ended up being resolved, but the last thing that I heard was that the REAL Creed guitarist was planning a lawsuit against the guy! Crazy stuff!!!

And then of course there is the more famous story about that drifter in LA who was going around giving interviews to magazines and newspapers claiming to be a member of KISS (he said he was either the guitarist or the drummer, can't remember).

And one more that I remember! LOL(this is lame I know!). That guy who had a show on E! for a short time with his wife. His name was Peter something, and I forget his wife's name. But they are British and I guess that they are big in Britian (kind of like David and Victoria Beckham). Anyway, whoever he is, there was a rumor going around that he was dead. Turns out, he was just on vacation with a friend or something.:rolleyes:

I dunno, I'm amazed that in today's day and age of computers, cell phones and INSTANT news, that something like this could still happen. I mean, to me, it seems like this people who are pretending to be someone else or people that are supposedly dead could pretty much IMMEDIATELY refute any incorrect info. Who knows.:?:

TommyJohn
09-07-2007, 08:42 AM
That's a wild story! I have heard quite a few stories like this in the past.

Slightly off topic (because it's not baseball related) but I remember a few years ago, some guy was going around and saying that he was Mark Trembolli(sp?), the guitar player for Creed. It wasn't like he was just saying this to try and pick up girls from bars or anything (though he probably did that as well) but he was actually going around and doing "in-stores" at places like Guitar Center. This "alleged" guitarist of Creed had fans lined up out the door waiting for hours to get his autograph and have pictures taken.

I don't know all the details of the story, but I guess that he looked so much like the guitarist of Creed, that he was able to keep this act going on for a couple of months or so! I don't know how it ended up being resolved, but the last thing that I heard was that the REAL Creed guitarist was planning a lawsuit against the guy! Crazy stuff!!!

And then of course there is the more famous story about that drifter in LA who was going around giving interviews to magazines and newspapers claiming to be a member of KISS (he said he was either the guitarist or the drummer, can't remember).

And one more that I remember! LOL(this is lame I know!). That guy who had a show on E! for a short time with his wife. His name was Peter something, and I forget his wife's name. But they are British and I guess that they are big in Britian (kind of like David and Victoria Beckham). Anyway, whoever he is, there was a rumor going around that he was dead. Turns out, he was just on vacation with a friend or something.:rolleyes:

I dunno, I'm amazed that in today's day and age of computers, cell phones and INSTANT news, that something like this could still happen. I mean, to me, it seems like this people who are pretending to be someone else or people that are supposedly dead could pretty much IMMEDIATELY refute any incorrect info. Who knows.:?:

The homeless guy claimed to be Peter Criss, if I remember correctly.

In England in the 90's there was a guy who went around during the shoot
of Eyes Wide Shut claiming to be Stanley Kubrick. He fooled quite a few
people, even though he looked nothing like Kubrick.