PDA

View Full Version : Richar Future Money

Jerksticks
09-06-2007, 02:00 AM
Last 5 Games

6/11 .545 BA 2B HR 5 Runs Scored

Small sample size, but he got hits off Rogers and Zumaya tonight; 2 hits off Westbrook; a hit and a walk off Fausto and another off Fultz.

He's crushing good pitching and scoring runs. That's what you want to see from a young player. I'm glad we gave him the 2b job with no competition.

Hawk: This kid can flat out play.

Discuss.

JSticks.

Soxfanspcu11
09-06-2007, 03:05 AM
DAMN!!!

I'm glad that you posted that! It is really nice to see!

The last time that I took a look at his numbers, he was batting like .176 or something. This is obviously, MUCH better!!!

And as you said, of course it is a very small sample, but you have got to love it. I mean, again like you said, it's not like he is lighting up September callups, he is hitting proven guys. That makes me feel even better about his potential.

I remember hearing all the talk about this guys upside, but so far, it didn't seem like he was ready for the show. Hopefully, he has turned the corner, gotten his mind right and is ready to perform at the major league level for good!!!

GO GET UM DANNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):gulp::supernana:

Mercy!
09-06-2007, 03:41 AM
Last 5 Games

6/11 .545 BA 2B HR 5 Runs Scored

Small sample size, but he got hits off Rogers and Zumaya tonight; 2 hits off Westbrook; a hit and a walk off Fausto and another off Fultz.

He's crushing good pitching and scoring runs. That's what you want to see from a young player. I'm glad we gave him the 2b job with no competition.

Hawk: This kid can flat out play.

Discuss.

JSticks.You'll have to admit, won't you, that Hawk generally says positive things about any warm body wearing a White Sox uniform until such time as the person becomes the equivalent of an ax murderer on the field.

Would you care to discuss why you're "glad we gave him the 2b job with no competition"? Yikes!

I'm rooting for Danny, but evaluating him on the basis of 5 games is a fruitless task, I think..

Grzegorz
09-06-2007, 04:35 AM
I'm rooting for Danny, but evaluating him on the basis of 5 games is a fruitless task, I think..

Agreed; you have to look at what he has done since he's been up. Judging future success off the last five games played is premature.

I think he'll be fine but lets not make him into Ryne Sandberg just yet.

The Immigrant
09-06-2007, 07:21 AM
The recent results at the plate are encouraging, although he failed to get a bunt down in a key situation last night (the cameras showed a visibly peeved Ozzie in the dugout). I particularly like his plate discipline. He's also been stellar in the field, getting to balls that Iguchi could no longer reach.

BTW, Jim at Sox Machine (my favorite Sox blog) wrote a nice piece on Danny a couple of days ago: http://soxmachine.com/blogs/soxmachine/archive/2007/09/05/8829.aspx

Hopefully "dis keed" continues to improve at the plate for the rest of this season.

SoxxoS
09-06-2007, 07:40 AM
You'll have to admit, won't you, that Hawk generally says positive things about any warm body wearing a White Sox uniform until such time as the person becomes the equivalent of an ax murderer on the field.

I think Jeff Abbott was the next Manny Ramirez from the way Hawk raved about him.

russ99
09-06-2007, 08:44 AM
We've seen a lot better hitting lately from Richar and Owens, especially Danny showing some nice power.

But still, the Sox really need to find another option at both positions in the offseason and make the kids earn a spot in the spring. We do have Ozuna (if healthy) who can play 2B and push Richar to compete for a starting spot in the spring.

peeonwrigley
09-06-2007, 08:49 AM
I think Jeff Abbott was the next Manny Ramirez from the way Hawk raved about him.

He just never got the chance...

oeo
09-06-2007, 08:49 AM
Agreed; you have to look at what he has done since he's been up. Judging future success off the last five games played is premature.

Fine, since that first game against Doc Halladay, I thought he was going to be something special for us. Now, I know it's only 5 games, but like I kept saying, just keep throwing him out there...those good ABs are going to turn into hits (like his dinger last night).

Richar just looks like he knows what he's doing, both defensively and offensively. He's going to be good.

voodoochile
09-06-2007, 08:56 AM
About 10 days ago he managed to get his average over .200 then slipped back down to .180. Now he's back over .200 again. If he can actually hit consistently he should be handed the 2B job for as long as the Sox can afford him. His defense often leaves me saying, "How he do that?" Great range, has some pop on his throws when needed and doesn't seem to have mental lapses.

Stay hot with the bat the next 3 weeks, Danny and the job is yours next spring.

SBSoxFan
09-06-2007, 08:58 AM
Fine, since that first game against Doc Halladay, I thought he was going to be something special for us. Now, I know it's only 5 games, but like I kept saying, just keep throwing him out there...those good ABs are going to turn into hits (like his dinger last night).

Richar just looks like he knows what he's doing, both defensively and offensively. He's going to be good.

Owens has been having a good September too, and his OBP is higher than Richar's now. Funny thing about Richar is that he seems to have better success against the better pitchers. As most have said, however, it's a small sample size.

I'd also like to point out that "the kids" are practically the only ones who did squat last night offensively.

spiffie
09-06-2007, 09:38 AM
He would have been, except Ozzie hates young players...

soxfanatlanta
09-06-2007, 11:20 AM
Stay hot with the bat the next 3 weeks, Danny and the job is yours next spring.

Has he committed to winter ball?

oeo
09-06-2007, 11:22 AM

Rookie second baseman Danny Richar said he will play in the Dominican League this winter for the Del Este Toros in La Romana.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070827soxbits,1,2752828.story

voodoochile
09-06-2007, 11:43 AM

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070827soxbits,1,2752828.story

I have a question about winter ball. What level would be comparable in the minor league tiering system?

It seems to be primarily AAA players who are almost MLB ready who play, so does that meant it is more like AAAA or is it a mix of various player levels and thus not truly like any of the tiers?

FedEx227
09-06-2007, 11:46 AM
I have a question about winter ball. What level would be comparable in the minor league tiering system?

It seems to be primarily AAA players who are almost MLB ready who play, so does that meant it is more like AAAA or is it a mix of various player levels and thus not truly like any of the tiers?

This coming from looking at rosters in previous years, I've never seen a winter league game so I can't say for sure. But to me it always appears to be AAAA. But someone can probably give you a more definite answer.

Foulke You
09-06-2007, 12:10 PM
especially Danny showing some nice power.
Danny's power has surprised me. He looks like he could be a 15-20HR guy if he plays every day. My concern is that sometimes he seems to have "Ray Durham Syndrome" where he starts to fall in love with the long ball and the swing gets a bit too big. Hopefully, he can work on his avg in winter ball because I have a feeling Richar is going to at least earn himself a platoon at 2B next year and possibly the everyday spot. 2B is a position that I don't see Kenny making a huge move for. I think he is going to target bullpen, CF, and SS in that order.

upperdeckusc
09-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Danny's power has surprised me. He looks like he could be a 15-20HR guy if he plays every day. My concern is that sometimes he seems to have "Ray Durham Syndrome" where he starts to fall in love with the long ball and the swing gets a bit too big. Hopefully, he can work on his avg in winter ball because I have a feeling Richar is going to at least earn himself a platoon at 2B next year and possibly the everyday spot. 2B is a position that I don't see Kenny making a huge move for. I think he is going to target bullpen, CF, and SS in that order.

I'd go with SS, bullpen (you could flip flop either one), and CF in that order.

oeo
09-06-2007, 02:14 PM

There is only a very small sample of Richar, how can you already make this assumption? It's not like he's hitting bombs...they're line shots; a couple of which barely got out of the park. He starts driving those things into the gap (instead of pulling them all), and he's going to be racking up doubles and triples, too.

slavko
09-06-2007, 03:35 PM
There is only a very small sample of Richar, how can you already make this assumption? It's not like he's hitting bombs...they're line shots; a couple of which barely got out of the park. He starts driving those things into the gap (instead of pulling them all), and he's going to be racking up doubles and triples, too.

I just saw him rack up a nice "double" for Timo Perez.

oeo
09-06-2007, 03:38 PM

Oh wow, he made a bad throw. He wasn't the only one to make a mistake on that play. Paulie should have made sure he had the ball before worrying about keeping his foot on the bag, and AJ should have backed it up so the ball never reaches the dugout.

BTW, who was our last 2B to even field that ball? :?:

JermaineDye05
09-06-2007, 03:39 PM

That's one of Richar's few errors this season. It's not like we've seen that regularly from him.

Foulke You
09-06-2007, 03:56 PM
I'm aware that the sample size is small. I'm making an educated guess based on what I've seen from him so far and the frequency of the HRs he is hitting. If they are line drives or moon shots, they are still HRs. Paulie hits a lot of line drive HRs too and he hits 30-40 per year.

kittle42
09-06-2007, 04:22 PM
Has the Owens lover group given up on Owens and moved on to Richar? He hasn't played that long and hasn't shown much of anything yet. Right now? I wouldn't want him on the team next year. But I reserve judgment til October.

UserNameBlank
09-06-2007, 05:32 PM
Has the Owens lover group given up on Owens and moved on to Richar? He hasn't played that long and hasn't shown much of anything yet. Right now? I wouldn't want him on the team next year. But I reserve judgment til October.
Owens IMO hasn't shown anywhere near as much as Richar has IMO. Besides an obvious improvement over Tadahito at 2B in range, arm, and knowledge of American baseball, he has looked very good at the plate recently. He doesn't strike out a lot and will take a walk, and has shown some pretty good discipline and a quick bat from the get go. At first when he arrived though he looked like he was trying to drive the ball everywhere, but he just doesn't have that kind of power. Recently he's been looking to go the other way and IMO if he stays with that approach he'll be a pretty good hitter up here. He has enough power to hit a lot of doubles if he just goes with the pitch. He's shown he can catch up to a hard fastball inside and turn on it, so if he can do that every once in a while he'll get more balls out over the plate, which should work well for him driving the ball towards the gap in left center. Plus he's shown good instincts on the basepaths and has some speed.

Owens OTOH has only shown that he has speed, not much else. He can make some nice plays in CF but has no arm for the position, and IMO is pretty much a 4th OF. Richar >>>> Jerry.

Tragg
09-06-2007, 05:37 PM
Richar looks like a hitter; his results aren't there, but he has some pop, hasn't had that many at bats, and lord knows he isn't getting a lick of lineup protection batting 8th and 9th game in and game out. He's shown some plate discipline, another rare, rare commodity on Ozzie's team of swing at everything slappers.

He's shown a lot more than Owens, who, despite the benefit of hitting leadoff, has no power, no plate discipline and a poor batting average.

Daver
09-06-2007, 05:39 PM
Richar is not a defensive liability, Owens is.

The ninth inning of today's game strengthens my argument that you can't skimp on defense on expect to win.

UserNameBlank
09-06-2007, 05:44 PM
Agree with everything here.

While as others have pointed out it is way too small of a saple size to judge and he hasn't hit for a lot of power in the minor leagues, I think he can put up numbers similar to what Tadahito was putting up here, with the main difference being not as many strikeouts, a few more walks, and more contact outs made. He looks like a good #2 hitter if he pans out. If not, then it's too bad, but I certainly wouldn't fault the Sox for letting a player with his talent learn and develop at the position.

IMO the Sox have to get younger in many areas, because if they don't then it will be the Sox looking at shorter playoff windows here and there with medicore to below average seasons in between whereas with a young core the window will stay open consistently for a lot longer. Cleveland especially has a lot of youth on it's team and as long as they can hold on to most of their core they should be a force for the next 3-4 years or more. Because of our payroll we don't have to undergo some huge rebuilding effort like Cleveland did, but we should inject some youth at key positions (SP, CF, SS, 2B especially) in order to keep up with them.

soxinem1
09-06-2007, 06:10 PM
The only rookies that should be initially assured of jobs on the 2008 team are Wasserman, Danks, and Fields.

The rest, Richar included, need to earn their keep.

Lip Man 1
09-06-2007, 06:20 PM
Agree 1000% with Daver's comment about defense.

Lip

oeo
09-06-2007, 06:26 PM
I'm aware that the sample size is small. I'm making an educated guess based on what I've seen from him so far and the frequency of the HRs he is hitting. If they are line drives or moon shots, they are still HRs. Paulie hits a lot of line drive HRs too and he hits 30-40 per year.

You can't make the assumption that he tries to swing for the fences...he's only been up here for a month and a half. That's not enough time to see changes in his swing (like you said, 'more loopy'), unless he goes through spurts a week at a time. That could be the case, but we don't know yet because we haven't seen him enough.

No, there's actually something to be excited about in Richar's case. Owens...blegh. If you haven't seen anything from Richar, you haven't been paying attention.

Hitmen77
09-06-2007, 10:18 PM
2B is a position that I don't see Kenny making a huge move for. I think he is going to target bullpen, CF, and SS in that order.

I think this pretty much sums up what is likely going to happen (regardless of what fans may or may not want to happen). The Sox have such glaring holes at SS, CF, and the bullpen that I think that - if Richar kept playing through the end of the season the way he has played to date - the Sox aren't going to go looking for another 2B in the offseason.

soxfanreggie
09-06-2007, 10:25 PM
He's definitely improving his hitting. I look to see what he can do to start next year with winter ball under his belt.

Tragg
09-06-2007, 10:58 PM
I hope Williams targets CF, Leadoff (perhaps the same as above) and SS in that order.

I don't know what he can do with the bullpen that our young pitchers can't do. It's actually stabilized a good bit the last 6 weeks (which demonstrates just how bad our offense is). If Kenny can find a really good pitcher to put in there, that's great. But no more MacDougals, please.

slavko
09-07-2007, 12:53 AM
That's one of Richar's few errors this season. It's not like we've seen that regularly from him.

All right, I was peeved. Richar "looks" like a player, but I'm not convinced he is. The error play? Iguchi makes the play and throw, easy. Going back a few years, RayRay couldn't field a thing hit to his right (but could he go into short right near the line to get a popup, omigod!).

KyWhiSoxFan
09-07-2007, 08:23 AM
All right, I was peeved. Richar "looks" like a player, but I'm not convinced he is. The error play? Iguchi makes the play and throw, easy. Going back a few years, RayRay couldn't field a thing hit to his right (but could he go into short right near the line to get a popup, omigod!).

Iguchi never even gets to that ball.

Randar68
09-07-2007, 11:50 AM
Owens IMO hasn't shown anywhere near as much as Richar has IMO.

???

Jerry has a higher average, OBP, and has stolen 23 bases. Richar has played better defense, but while he is fast, hasn't shown any knack whatsoever for stealing bases.

kittle42
09-07-2007, 02:10 PM
???

Jerry has a higher average, OBP, and has stolen 23 bases. Richar has played better defense, but while he is fast, hasn't shown any knack whatsoever for stealing bases.

This is like arguing which pair of dirty sweatsocks stinks the least.

RCWHITESOX
09-07-2007, 02:35 PM
This is like arguing which pair of dirty sweatsocks stinks the least.

That was absolutely beautiful; couldn't have said it better.

slavko
09-07-2007, 03:08 PM
Iguchi never even gets to that ball.

Gets to it, gloves it, and throws on target in the same motion.

soltrain21
09-07-2007, 06:55 PM
The error play? Iguchi makes the play and throw, easy.

So now we are basing the worth of people on hypothetical plays that someone else who used to be on the team maybe could have made?

Niiiice.

oeo
09-07-2007, 07:18 PM

No, Iguchi would not have gotten to that. And even if he did, I find it hard to believe he could even make that throw. He had problems with his throw turning a double play. There were a few times where out of nowhere he would just throw the ball into the stands.

Iguchi didn't have a lot of range. Up until this year, he made the plays he could get to (this year, for whatever reason he had more screw ups than the last two), but he never was able to get to very much.

And that's not a knock on him at all. I loved what he did for us, but Richar is looking like a better defender.

UserNameBlank
09-07-2007, 10:48 PM
???

JMO, but Richar has shown he's capable of being a solid #2 hitter and 2B if he continues to grow and learn at the MLB level. He hasn't hit much, and neither has Owens, but he's shown good plate disciple (BB's and K's are very close), good fundamentals at the plate, a quick bat, and he's shown he has some nice gap power. Additionally it looks like he's changed his philosphy at the plate a bit, opting to go with the pitch and hit to all fields instead of looking to get around everything and drive everything. Recently he's been looking to drive the ball in situations/counts that dictate it instead of trying to kill everything. Beyond that he's shown he's an improvement in the field over Iguchi and is capable of being a pretty darn good 2B defensively.

Owens OTOH has shown he can make the catches but has no arm for CF. He's a LF if he starts at all. He has no power and doesn't walk much. Jerry still hasn't shown he can do anything with the inside fastball other than pull it to the far right side of the IF. He doesn't have the power Richar has where if you pitch him hard inside again and again he can hurt you. Owens does have speed, terrific speed actually because most of his SB's haven't come off the greatest jumps yet he still gets in there, but IMO his speed is the only quality he possesses that you'd want in an ideal leadoff hitter.

Neither player is a lock for superstardom obviously, but I'd say from the way things have looked, Richar has a much better chance of being a solid everyday 2B than Owens has at being a solid everyday leadoff hitter.

FarWestChicago
09-07-2007, 10:57 PM
JMO, but Richar has shown he's capable of being a solid #2 hitter and 2B if he continues to grow and learn at the MLB level. He hasn't hit much, and neither has Owens, but he's shown good plate disciple (BB's and K's are very close), good fundamentals at the plate, a quick bat, and he's shown he has some nice gap power. Additionally it looks like he's changed his philosphy at the plate a bit, opting to go with the pitch and hit to all fields instead of looking to get around everything and drive everything. Recently he's been looking to drive the ball in situations/counts that dictate it instead of trying to kill everything. Beyond that he's shown he's an improvement in the field over Iguchi and is capable of being a pretty darn good 2B defensively.

Owens OTOH has shown he can make the catches but has no arm for CF. He's a LF if he starts at all. He has no power and doesn't walk much. Jerry still hasn't shown he can do anything with the inside fastball other than pull it to the far right side of the IF. He doesn't have the power Richar has where if you pitch him hard inside again and again he can hurt you. Owens does have speed, terrific speed actually because most of his SB's haven't come off the greatest jumps yet he still gets in there, but IMO his speed is the only quality he possesses that you'd want in an ideal leadoff hitter.

Neither player is a lock for superstardom obviously, but I'd say from the way things have looked, Richar has a much better chance of being a solid everyday 2B than Owens has at being a solid everyday leadoff hitter.Randar has attached himself to the incomparable Brian Anderson and the redoubtable Chris Young. If you aren't one of those two players, you suck. If you are one of those two players, you are Mick Jr. no matter how much you suck. In other words, don't try to converse with him on this subject. :D: