PDA

View Full Version : Crede?

Huisj
04-09-2002, 11:01 AM
What's up with Joe Crede? I've been checking boxscores for Charlotte the last few days, and I haven't seen his name in the boxscores at all. Why isn't he playing? Is he hurt? anyone know?

:crede

"nope, I ain't hurt, I just decided to quit and become an insurance salesman--much better future in that than in being a white sox prospect"

duke of dorwood
04-09-2002, 11:07 AM
From todays Charlotte Observer:

Joe Crede couldn't have been faulted for thinking this was going to be the year.

Crede was crushing it this spring, hitting .380 in the Chicago White Sox' camp when he was told he would be returning to Class AAA Charlotte. He had hoped this time would be different.

It's not; he'll be starting at third base tonight when Charlotte opens its home season against Indianapolis in Knights Stadium.

"They called me in with five days left in spring training," Crede (pronounced cree-dee) said of his meeting with White Sox manager Jerry Manuel, general manager Ken Williams and hitting coach Gary Ward. "They say the same things every year. The last four years I've been sent down, so it's nothing new to me. They said we don't want you to go down there and be mad or anything; we want you to go down and get your work in."

The White Sox' biggest concern is that Crede might return to Charlotte and sulk about it. When that happens -- and it happens often to Class AAA players who think they should be major league players -- guys are likely to go into debilitating slumps, shrinking their chances of promotion.

It's safe to say when management demotes a prospect of Crede's ability, it does so with fingers crossed. Not to worry. Crede, not quite 24 and a Top 10 organizational prospect for several years now, isn't about to let a good sulk mess up his play.

"I'm going to go down and work wherever I go," he said recently, sitting on the Knights' dugout steps after practice. "It's just a matter of having respect for the game."

Crede, who hit .276 with 17 homers and 65 RBIs in 124 games for the Knights last year, says the right things. But it has to be tough for a guy who is supposedly Chicago's future at third base. Particularly since the White Sox shifted Jose Valentin from center field to fill that spot.

"My job's not to understand why they do the things they do up there," Crede said. "It's to play baseball and not to worry why they're making their decisions or who's playing where. I am aware of it; I just can't worry about it."

The White Sox, who feel they have a chance to win this year, opted for a proven veteran over a rookie. First-year Charlotte manager Nick Capra is sympathetic to Crede, but understands the move.

"I think Joe understands what he needs to do," Capra said. "He's got a chance to be a pretty special player for the White Sox. It's a matter of time and the time just wasn't right for him right now.

"I think he knows he has to come down here and continue to work hard and play hard and control the things he can control."

Big league camp was fun while it lasted, though. Crede, 6-foot-3 and 200 pounds, said the high point might have been his first-pitch single off of Arizona ace Curt Schilling.

"He was throwing everybody first-pitch curveballs, and everybody was looking at it for a strike," Crede said. "I said, `Well, I'm going to take a whack at it,' and there it went. I hit it hard to left, and I got to first and Mark Grace said, `You know, it's not supposed to be that easy.' "

Crede was chuckling as he told the story, and the sun was shining on Knights Stadium's well-kept grass. At that point, Charlotte didn't seem so bad after all.

"I think everybody who's sent down is disappointed," Crede said. "You don't want to come back to the minors. ... But there's nothing you can do about it except come down and play hard.

"There's nobody bigger than this game."

ode to veeck
04-09-2002, 01:52 PM
Crede at 3rd and Jose at SS and Choice on the pines, period--what's wrong with the Sox mgmt, brain tumors?!?!

Pete Ward
04-09-2002, 03:37 PM
This is the last year "The Choice" is under contract.

Then he is a FA. :gulp:

Then I guess we get the "kid" at 3b and "Manos" at SS!

FarmerAndy
04-09-2002, 03:45 PM
I can't wait until Joe Crede is at 3rd full time. I'm curious to know what we are going to do about shortstop in the future though. Clayton will be gone next year. Valentin is signed through next year, but he obviously isn't the long term answer at SS. It doesn't look like we have anything too exciting cooking in the farm system. We should have a strong outfield with Maggs, Rowand, and Borchard. Crede and Harris will be fine at 3rd and 2nd, so if we can find a solid shortstop by the 2004 season, my dream of a good defensive team might come true.

Anybody know when Tejada will be a free agent? :)

MckayFan
04-09-2002, 06:17 PM
I was at the game where crede left in either the 3rd or 4th inning. He didnt look like he was hurt, so i dont know why.

foulkesfan11
04-09-2002, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Pete Ward
This is the last year "The Choice" is under contract.

Then he is a FA. :gulp:

Then I guess we get the "kid" at 3b and "Manos" at SS!

You know, I hope that's the case, but I bet KW will pick up some overpaid old loser to play infield again next year.

kermittheefrog
04-10-2002, 06:32 AM
Crede has been experiencing back spasms.

RedPinStripes
04-10-2002, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Crede has been experiencing back spasms.

Not cool.