PDA

View Full Version : Could Pablo Ozuna Solve our 2B or SS holes in '08?

Foulke You
09-05-2007, 05:49 PM
I was driving home from work yesterday thinking about the '08 Sox and wondering what options they had internally to fix their SS or 2B holes. I remembered that Ozuna's natural infield position is SS even though it always seemed that the Sox hardly played him there. I seem to remember Pablo being average there with an average arm when he played. I don't recall him playing much at 2B though.

I think we'd be sacrificing offense for defense with the move but Pablo could solve our leadoff/speed problems as well as bring some energy and hustle back to the lineup and on the defensive side. It is merely a non-Uribe/Richar option I thought the Sox could explore if no good trades or FA options develop. (note- I'm not giving up on Richar yet, just looking at options) The question marks are:

a) Did Pablo fully recover from his ankle injury?
b) Can he hit .270-.300 when playing everyday?
c) Is his SS and 2B defense solid enough to trot him out there daily?

dickallen15
09-05-2007, 05:58 PM
If Pablo was better than what the Sox already had, he would have beaten them out before.

Domeshot17
09-05-2007, 06:03 PM
2b maybe SS no way. I think pablos real value is super sub. I fear he could be like mackowiak where he would overkill his welcome as a full time starter.

chisoxfanatic
09-05-2007, 06:03 PM
On a good team, Ozuna's the best bench player, and we should leave it at that.

balke
09-05-2007, 06:06 PM
Insert comment about Willie Harris here.

slavko
09-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Insert comment about Willie Harris here. I hear they're taking his ring away.

Seriously, Pablo's fielding at any position doesn't get him a regular job on my team.

Lip Man 1
09-05-2007, 06:12 PM
In a word...no.

Lip

Tragg
09-05-2007, 06:25 PM
No

That's another problem - the D has deteriorated since 2005. That would enhance the process.

DickAllen72
09-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Unless the Sox add a quality LFer or 3Ber during the offseason, Ozuna would probably be best as the starting third baseman next year.

chisoxfanatic
09-05-2007, 08:29 PM
Unless the Sox add a quality LFer or 3Ber during the offseason, Ozuna would probably be best as the starting third baseman next year.
I'll pass on that in favor of keeping Crede.

Grzegorz
09-05-2007, 08:46 PM
The question marks are:

And your answers are:
a) I don't know; only time will tell.
b) Possibly; only time will tell.
c) No

JB98
09-05-2007, 09:56 PM
Love the spark Pablo provides us off the bench. We miss him this year, but he can't play every day. Certainly not in the middle infield. He's a poor defender.

santo=dorf
09-05-2007, 10:29 PM
Love the spark Pablo provides us off the bench. We miss him this year, but he can't play every day. Certainly not in the middle infield. He's a poor defender.
He's worse in the outfield. Remember the KC game with the flyball in the wind? :o:

DickAllen72
09-05-2007, 10:30 PM
I'll pass on that in favor of keeping Crede.
Too slow and injury prone. Crede would be OK if he's healthy and if the Sox get a speedy SS and a speedy CFer.

champagne030
09-05-2007, 10:32 PM
I was driving home from work yesterday thinking about the '08 Sox and wondering what options they had internally to fix their SS or 2B holes. I remembered that Ozuna's natural infield position is SS even though it always seemed that the Sox hardly played him there. I seem to remember Pablo being average there with an average arm when he played. I don't recall him playing much at 2B though.

I think we'd be sacrificing offense for defense with the move but Pablo could solve our leadoff/speed problems as well as bring some energy and hustle back to the lineup and on the defensive side. It is merely a non-Uribe/Richar option I thought the Sox could explore if no good trades or FA options develop. (note- I'm not giving up on Richar yet, just looking at options) The question marks are:

NO.

Etownsox13
09-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Please no

hi im skot
09-05-2007, 11:09 PM
I'll stick with Richar at 2nd.

Pablo at 3rd? No thanks.

CLR01
09-05-2007, 11:38 PM
In that duck tape on a broken water pipe sort of way.

drewcifer
09-05-2007, 11:53 PM
duck tape

:rolleyes:

Nellie_Fox
09-06-2007, 12:16 AM
:rolleyes:There is actually a brand of duct tape called Duck Tape.

Foulke You
09-06-2007, 12:04 PM
I really believe Pablo could help solve a couple of problems on offense for us that might cancel out his avg defense. He bats leadoff (he fouls off pitches very well), he knows how to bunt (imagine that!), he is a career .280+ hitter (albeit in the reserve role), has good speed, and he brings energy to that lineup. Pablo makes things happen on the field and that is something that was sorely missing from this year's squad. I wouldn't be opposed to Ozzie platooning Richar and Ozuna at 2B next year if we don't make any free agent signings for that position. Kenny is going to have a lot of holes to fill and I have a feeling he isn't going to splurge at the 2B position. There just isn't a lot out there.

I'm definitely for keeping Ozuna away from LF and 3B on an everyday basis though. We've seen enough of him out there to know he can't handle those positions everyday.

BainesHOF
09-06-2007, 12:25 PM
God, no!

roadrunner
09-06-2007, 12:40 PM
pablo ozuna = norberto martin = nice speedy versatile player to bring off the bench but not solid enough defensively at any one position to play everyday

billcissell
09-06-2007, 12:57 PM
Ozuna's true value is as a super sub. If you play him regularly he wears out his welcome (see Mackowiak). His batting average probably drops, his defensive deficiencies become magnified and his talent for coming into a game and making things happen dissolves.

He can certainly fill in at second, third, maybe even the outfield occasionally, pinch hit and pinch run. I love the guy, but let's not try to force fit him into a regular position for '08. And certainly let's not fool ourselves into thinking he is the answer at shortstop.

balke
09-06-2007, 12:58 PM
He probably would've been a starter somewhere going into next season if he would've had a good year here. As it is, tough luck for his leg. He should be a great asset at utility next season. He's still not a starter, especially after a leg injury. The most attractive thing about his play is his speed.

santo=dorf
09-06-2007, 05:25 PM
There is actually a brand of duct tape called Duck Tape.
Perhaps he was criticizing CLR101 for not capitalizing a proper noun. :dunno:

Tragg
09-06-2007, 05:33 PM
He's a utility player and one of the problems at the start of the year is that this team had 100% utility players on its bench (except for backup catcher). That's a lot of "versatility" but, ultimately, 3rd string talent. This team needs 1 utility player and some legitimate backups who can step in if injuries happened like we had in 2005 (at least one legitimate backup)....but so many of the practices of 2005 have been inexplicably tossed aside that it's hard to remember.

soxinem1
09-06-2007, 06:12 PM
No

That's another problem - the D has deteriorated since 2005. That would enhance the process.

IF Ozuna comes back in 2008, and IF he has more than 200 AB's, this season will be repeated. He has lost a step running wise, and his D seems to have slipped. He totally stopped getting successful bunt hits and stealing ever since he hit that HR off Eddie Guardado last year as a PH.

He is not a MLB regular, and he's not a good SS, 2B, 3B, or OF defensively.

KyWhiSoxFan
09-07-2007, 08:35 AM
Pablo is not an everyday player, but I would much rather have him as the utility infielder than Andy Gonzalez. To me, that is a no-brainer. Gonzalez is not a major leaguer.

FloridaSox
09-07-2007, 09:41 AM
No