PDA

View Full Version : Hawk Harrelson's Term As GM

DrCrawdad
04-09-2002, 09:12 AM
A "friend" of mine keeps calling Kenny Williams the new Hawk. This "friend" keeps telling me that Kenny is dealing away the Sox young talent just like Hawk did when he was GM. The only young talent that I remember Hawk dealing were Bobby Bonilla and John Cangelosi.

Please help refresh my memory. What other bad deals did Hawk make?

- DrCrawdad.

Meatpants
04-09-2002, 09:51 AM
He put Carlton Fisk in LF to "save his knees". :?:

KingXerxes
04-09-2002, 09:53 AM
As far as making bad deals, Harrelson only really had a couple of them.

The first was trading Bobby Bonilla (who was 23) for Jose DeLeon (who was only like 25 or something at that time). To be honest the DeLeon deal - on it's surface didn't look too bad even though he was 1-19 for Pittsburgh the year before (his ERA was not too bad). It just didn't work out.

The other major blunder was firing Tony LaRussa and replacing him first with Doug Rader and then Jim Fregosi.

IMHO the worst part about the Harrelson term as GM can't be put on any one or two transactions, having said this, he was one of the most laughable GMs ever. The White Sox were a three ring circus when he ran them. Press conferences every other day, wild leaks into the media about LaRussa and other players, Carlton Fisk getting PO'ed because The Hawk wanted him to play left field, a pitching staff in 1986 that was a revolving door (I'll bet they had at least seven or eight starters that year), and, in what has to be the ultimate show of ego, the guy pastes his own picture on the front of the pocket schedule (in cartoon form) with a big heading entitled "The Hawk Wants You!".

Kenny Williams may not be exactly what everybody is looking for in a GM (I still suspect his is a bit of a BS'er), but in no way has he lost control of his organization the way Harrelson did in the mid-80's.

cheeses_h_rice
04-09-2002, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
Kenny Williams may not be exactly what everybody is looking for in a GM (I still suspect his is a bit of a BS'er), but in no way has he lost control of his organization the way Harrelson did in the mid-80's.

:KW

Just give me some time, Xerx. All I need is a little more time.

KingXerxes
04-09-2002, 10:00 AM
LOL.

Paulwny
04-09-2002, 10:37 AM
[B ), and, in what has to be the ultimate show of ego, the guy pastes his own picture on the front of the pocket schedule (in cartoon form) with a big heading entitled "The Hawk Wants You!".
. [/B]

Not only a pocket sched; I have the ~ 8 by 11 calendar.
A little trivia, the Hawk was the 1st player to wear batting gloves in a regular season game.

Jerry_Manuel
04-09-2002, 12:49 PM
In what has to be the ultimate show of ego, the guy pastes his own picture on the front of the pocket schedule (in cartoon form) with a big heading entitled "The Hawk Wants You!".

Ah, yes.

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/OldComiskey/embarass11.jpg